The Holy Month of Ramadan

Published Avatar Banni Bestina , German Literature Student

Avatar German Literature Student
Banni Bestina

Ramadan or Ramadhan, a month out of 12 months listed in the Islamic calendar. This particular month is very special. Every Muslim all over the world values this opportunity to do fasting - one of the five Pillars of Islam. The commonly used calendar worldwide is the Gregorian calendar. It is a solar calendar, based on the Earth’s position on its revolution around the sun (Fun fact: Our Earth needs 365 ¼ days to complete its orbit, hence the term Leap Year exists). Muslims ad...

Baba I Miss You

Published Avatar Aurna , Creative Director, CEO, Volunteer

Avatar Creative Director, CEO, Volunteer
Aurna

Just a few days ago the whole world celebrated father’s day. As it’s the era of globalization we all were able to see how our friends and family celebrated this day across the world. Throughout the entire day I saw many people posting emotional status updates about their fathers and also posting pictures of them with their fathers. I couldn’t. Because I don’t think I have any. Actually I have one, where you can only see my father’s back. Someone took this picture of...

The Closet

Published Avatar Enana Hermez , Student

Enana Hermez

Being born in the Middle East means that you will get classified as either a “normal person”, or as one of the “others”. Normal people have parents who are still together. The “others” have divorced parents. Normal people follow a popular religion. The “others” are atheists, agnostics or followers of less popular religions. Normal people are heterosexual. The “others” belong to the LGBT community. Normal people see women as mere housewives. The “othe...

Thank you for stopping by

Published Avatar Shorouq Tarek , .

Avatar .
Shorouq Tarek

Dear happiness, It was never us against the world. It was always me against your absence, me against your pale appearance, me against the world. I remember the day I was told to look for you. I remember the effort I exerted, the battles I got into and the wandering eyes of those who couldn’t understand why I was eager to find you. I remember how many stairs I had to take and the disappointment of never finding you waiting for me at the end of any. I looked for you in the...

What about the refugees

Published Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

The refugee crisis has been dominating the news for quite some time. It is a subject I personally care about thus I wanted to write something on the occasion of World Refugee Day, June 20. While I was trying to figure out what to write I concluded two things: 1. I want to know much about this subject, yet I don’t know anything. 2. I have no clue what the opinions of my friends are. I decided to work with the second point and soon found out that my friends have...

British EXIT

Published Avatar Christos Metaxas , District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament

Avatar District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament
Christos Metaxas

On Thursday, the United Kingdom decided to leave the European Union in an attempt to regain its sovereignty as many Brits suggest that the country has lost the ability to govern itself and is governed by Germany and other EU powers. The vote was 52% in favour of Brexit against 48% in favour of Bremain. For the European readers out there this is a big deal and an ever bigger one for the Brits. Nonetheless, the global financial market has been affected by this decision. I am no p...

The Measles of Mankind

Published Avatar Yaz Kolankaya , Student

Yaz Kolankaya

I recently watched a documentary that explores how different nations tend to formulate their national identities around cultural products, such as songs and tales. “Whose is this Song?” by Adela Peeva is a comparative work about a wandering melody and the numerous nations that stake out claims on the song. The tune in question is known to me as “Üsküdar’a Gider İken.” I used to sing it in my school choir as a little child. Although it is hardly a building block for o...

Hatred in Colombia: How easy it is to hate, how difficult it is to forgive

Published Avatar Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo , Student - Political Science

Avatar Student - Political Science
Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo

In my country, we are taught how to hate from when we are little kids. We have to hate the FARC, the paramilitaries, Uribe (our former president), Santos (our current president), the extreme left, the extreme right, the corruption, Pablo Escobar, the attorney. “They are all bastards” - I heard this so many times. With embarrassment and anger in their faces, my parents had to teach me little by little, about all the injustices that happened, and continue happening, in our countr...

A struggle to get one’s basic right: education

Published Avatar Zainab Asif Dar , Student

Zainab Asif Dar

I was just twelve-years-old, when my cousin visited our place, and upon seeing that I had lost some weight, she commented that now really good marriage proposals would come for me. At that time, I did not realize that what she said was odd because my three elder cousins had got engaged in their teens and I felt that this is how a girl’s life was supposed to be; the sole purpose of a girl’s life was to get engaged to a man belonging to wealthier family than her parents’. W...

VOY across the world