Published by MischaVOY

VOY Blogging Internship - Applications Now Open!

Hi everyone! Applications for the next round of Voices of Youth blogging internships are now o...

Free the Fart!

Published no picture vickytoria726 , student

no picture student
vickytoria726

We all do it. We all hear it. We all smell it. Then, why are we ashamed of it? Farting, the natural human process that humans carry out daily. Farting is relieving to the body and satisfying to the soul. Without it, unhealthy gases would not be able to exit our bodies and most of us would be in the hospital if we never passed gas. You can cough in public and a peer will lend you a cup of water. You can sneeze in public and strangers will exclaim, “God bless you!” But… i...

Inspiration

Published no picture Chloe Miller

no picture Chloe Miller

If you google the word, “inspiration”, it will come up with this definition: “The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.” Three cheers for whoever wrote that definition, because that is not something that is easily put into words. For me, inspiration can come from anything: a quote, a person, or even a vague idea of something. I remember when I first got interested in social change and social justice. I am a fu...

Out of Site Shouldn't Mean Out of Mind

Published no picture James Bird

no picture James Bird

The picture is of the line that leads up to the tables where we serve the homeless their food at PB&J Ministry. But the food line is not the reason that I took the picture. I took the picture for what lies in the background of the photo: The Motor City Casino. This makes the image powerful. Usually the poverty in the city is pushed in the background and the wealth is brought to the foreground; however, that is not the case in my photo. The poverty is prominently put on di...

On Not Loving Mom and Dad

Published no picture Lam Ngô

no picture Lam Ngô

“Oh of course, you do.” “You’re just mad right now.” “You’ll feel bad for saying that later.” “I bet you don’t even think about the things they do for you.” Why? Why is loving our parents a fundamental requirement? Why is our love for them obligatory? Why does it have to be unconditional? If parents are only human, then should they not be judged with the same meter used for others? We hear stories of kids who get beaten, who are raped and star...

Why I'm Involved in the Movement for Climate Justice

Published no picture Will DiGravio , President at StudentsForClimate.org

no picture President at StudentsForClimate.org
Will DiGravio

Recently, I was asked: Why have you been engaged in the movement for climate justice? Until now, it’s a question that I had never truly contemplated in my time as a climate activist. My work in the movement has always been focused on climate education and advocacy. While in high school, I came to the realization that climate change was very much absent from the science curriculum, and I began teaching classes to elementary, middle, and high school students in my community, in a...

Mental Health of Traumatized Children

Published Avatar Michelle Asim , Human Rights Activist

Avatar Human Rights Activist
Michelle Asim

Mental health. The type of health that unfortunately does not get as much attention it should in modern society. Several children suffer from unstable mental health on a global scale ranging from general anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder to severe depression. Mental health support should be available to anyone, anytime, anywhere. No one should be afraid to reach out for help. Everyone should at least have one professional who can assist them when needed. There...

Syrian Civil War: Aleppo Is Burning

Published Avatar Zeyneb Ahmed Chughtai , Student

Zeyneb Ahmed Chughtai

Aleppo is the largest city in Syria and it is one of the largest cities in the Levant. For centuries, after Constantinople and Cairo, Aleppo was the Ottoman Empire’s third largest city. Aleppo is one of the oldest inhabited cities of the world and it was inhabited since 6th millennium BC. Since April 18, at least 212 civilians have been killed including 57 children. "Aleppo is burning" in Arabic language is trending on Twitter and Facebook as well. From the fighting of rebels a...

50 Years After the War on Poverty

Published no picture Caroline Smerdon , Student

Caroline Smerdon
https://southinpopculture.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/inezkyfletcher.jpg

“Unfortunately, many Americans live on the outskirts of hope--some because of their poverty, and some because of their color, and all too many because of both. Our task is to help replace their despair with opportunity. This administration today, here and now, declares unconditional war on poverty in America. I urge this Congress and all Americans to join with me in that effort. It will not be a short or easy struggle, no single weapon or strategy will suffice, but we shall not r...

BELOVED MOTHER (POEM)

Published Avatar priya verma

Avatar priya verma

From the heart, comes these warm thoughts To tell you how special you are From the heart, comes the love that you deserve For all that you do This comes with special thought of you And all your caring ways And with such happy memories of other times And days It comes with hopes and wishes for today And always But most of all this wish comes with love to you That's why I thank the Lord Because my mom is a true gift of God. *************** By...

VOY across the world