Save Her

Posted no picture Destiny Faye van Rooyen

no picture Destiny Faye van Rooyen

Drowning... drowning... drowning. She realised - she is going to die. No, her life is not being lost because she jumped into waters too deep. It is her soul, being suffocated by those around her forcing her to be someone that she's not. Misfit. Rebel. Black sheep. All words some might use to describe her. But I don't think she's any of those things. I think she's just a girl, plagued by her thoughts. She doesn't allow the intricacies of her beautiful yet dangerous mind to be seen...

Labels

Posted no picture piafleig

no picture piafleig

We are sitting at the corner of the supermarket in town. People are passing us by and stare at us as we wait for a friend. My back is leaning against that grey window-less building and my friends talk about Germany. We share grapes and energy drinks and I feel a little bit like a gangster, because I wouldn’t usually be one of “the kids of the block” who would have nothing to do but to sit there and joke about life. At least I must make the impression like I am one. Even whe...

What we need to do

Posted no picture Malika Saxena , UNICEF

no picture UNICEF
Malika Saxena

As a global citizen, I keep myself informed. I know about the horrors of our world and what efforts have been made to assist. I have kept in touch with our world of politics and I know that filth exists. I have also tried to be ignorant because they say it is bliss, but I can no longer be ignorant because ignorance is for cowards - cowards who fear the truth. And I am not scared. I am angry. I am angry because for the first time in my life, I have understood what I have known for...

It is the first day of Mubashir at a reputable university of his country. He has been selected in an engineering program. He has traveled all the way from lower Punjab to absorb education at a standard university of Islamabad. Walking towards the gate, he thinks about his hard work which landed him a spot in his field. He thinks about his parents, whom he’ll miss in his hostel days. And he thinks about his future. What will happen? As he crosses past the gate with these perturb...

Turning The Last Page

Posted Avatar Enana Hermez , Writer

Avatar Writer
Enana Hermez

There’s a special atmosphere that reading a novel creates. An atmosphere that makes it possible for me to go through every emotion I encounter in the pages, and to feel a sense of belonging as if I’m one (or more) of the characters. Life Is a Novel To me, being alive is a lot like reading. Every adventure is a new chapter in this novel we call life. And after every chapter I grieve a little, because it feels like saying goodbye to someone I love or leaving home. I inst...

Happiness

Posted Avatar Niken Afifah , Student

Niken Afifah

A lot of our unhappiness comes from the feeling of not belonging. But even when we are accepted, we don’t necessarily belong. True happiness has to come from outside of the desire to belong. There is happiness in silence and solitude. There is happiness in being thankful for what you have. There is happiness in relationship with God. This is not always easy to see. And for those who are not used to it, it is not easy to understand. Most of our happiness comes from within. Thi...

Would I Fly

Posted no picture Notsile Nono Nkambule , International Relations Graduate

no picture International Relations Graduate
Notsile Nono Nkambule

I feel the need for answers pulling at my heart, the seduction of mystery has died. My heart is beating out of rhythm, the lulling effects of mediocrity is no longer enough. Now I need to know, My lord I want to know would I fly? Can I walk the talk, because it is time to lift my feet off the ground. Can I unpack enough of these insecurieties to allow myself to jump? Can i see the unsolicited advice of the previous generation as the cautionary tales they are? Can i dare, would I...

The Note

Posted no picture Arwa Kadhmawi

no picture Arwa Kadhmawi

It's amazing how we can change as we grow older! And we will never realize that until we find pieces of our old selves. These pieces will surprise us, in regard to who we were just a few months ago! Today by accident I found a note that I wrote to myself on a piece of paper one year ago! In that note I was telling myself that the most important battle to win is not the one that I have with others, but it's the one that I have inside me. Well, it was a shock to find out that I u...

Generation of Change

Posted no picture Brianna Fruean , Pacific Climate Warrior

no picture Pacific Climate Warrior
Brianna Fruean

Growing up I believed there were monsters and heroes in this world. In every child’s movie I watched there was the huge scary daunting creature that the people feared, but then there was always the heroic warrior who stood up for the people and changed the plot of the narrative. In my story,climate change is my monster. A creature that I heard whispers of as a little girl. Now people say its name loudly and clearly because we know it’s all around us. The thing about this monste...

VOY across the world