Starting a Long Journey

Published Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology, David Molina Shvidchenco

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

Two years ago my chemistry professor told me that whenever I have to deal with something that seems impossible to solve I just have to divide it into steps. I should then tackle them one by one instead of everything at the same time. It’s best to start with the steps I am more comfortable with so that I can build my confidence. So, let’s start with the basics. I am a 19-year-old man and I live in the country of “Pura Vida”, Costa Rica.Even though it is small (0,03% of the...

The Indentity Question

Published Avatar Miss, Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Miss
Elizabeth VOY

Hello, my name is Elizabeth. One: I live in Newcastle. I make a mean lemon cake. I’m passionate about language. I take evening classes in French. My shoelaces always come undone. I love to investigate. I failed my driving test five times before passing. I have a freckle on my toe. I’m a graduate of History. I like to read Spike Milligan’s poetry. I write postcards. I’m open-minded. I am excited by challenging perspectives. I pick up pennies for luck. Ants fascinate me. I believe in the...

Hi, My Name Is Utsah

Published Avatar student, Utsah

Avatar student
Utsah

I am Utsah Shrestha from Kathmandu, Nepal. I am the second and the youngest child to my parents, after my brother who is almost 5 years older to me. I completed my schooling from an all-girls Jesuit Catholic school. Interestingly enough, however, most of the girls in the school came from Hindu and Buddhist families, the dominant religions of Nepal, and only a handful from Catholic families. At school I found the freedom in expressing and associating with people of the same gender,...

Hello, World!

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

to walk through a city is to cut it into parts: like a wound or a landscape the city opens, then like a scab or a room it closes. Short Walks by Vincenz Serrano Hi, I am Mariel Annarose Nicole Alonzo, 19 years old and the youngest of five children, thus, doomed with the longest name. Like my own country, the Philippines, which derived its name from King Philip II of Spain, I was named after famous people (Mariel Hemingway, Nicole Kidman, etc.). Like my own cou...

Meeting Me!

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Hi, my name is Winfred Ahupa, but my friends and family call me Winnie. I am a 23 year old feminist from Nigeria, West Africa. I hold a Bachelor in Science in Textile Science and Technology, from the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, Nigeria. Before my graduation I was the chairperson of Creative Writers’ Club ABU, a club which was founded in 1974. It encourages young writers and gives room for an intellectual discourse every week, between youths within and outside the campu...

The ‘Other-Centred’ Global Citizen

Published Avatar Blogger, Derwayne Wills

Avatar Blogger
Derwayne Wills

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said “what self-centred men have torn down, other-centred men can build up.” Being ‘other-centred’ means being conscious of the suffering of others, and doing your part to ensure that people are better off tomorrow than they were today and yesterday. I am an ‘other-centred’ global citizen with a responsibility of being my brother’s (and sister’s) keeper. I am also Guyanese, a youth activist, and a Journalist with a growing interest...

Words By Her

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

Hi, my name is Bhavana Shewale and I am from Mumbai, India. I am in my final year of medical school and I still have trouble believing I will be an MD before I turn 24! Growing up in a family full of surgeons can be intimidating but also inspiring. My great grandmother was an obstetrician during the time India was a British colony. She was a woman surgeon setting up a clinic and joining the fight for freedom, when women were expected to jump into their husband's pyre. My bedtime st...

Syria’s Children: An Entire Generation Lost

Published no picture Anant Mishra

no picture Anant Mishra

Introduction The uprising which began in March 2011 against the President Bashar Al Assad took a violent turn and resulted in a civil war which lasted for more than three years and affected more than 6.5 Million children. Activists were demanding economic stability, civil liberty and political freedom. The Syrian government referred to these activists as “terrorists”. During the civil war, children were exposed to human rights violations including mass killings, sexual abus...

We need action on girls' rights, not words

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Posted by Yulisa, Plan youth delegate from Dominican Republic Yulisa, 16, from the Dominican Republic is one of 5 Plan-supported youth delegates speaking out for girls' rights at the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) meeting this week. Here she explains what has inspired her to push for change. 11 March 2015: I have been in New York (at the CSW-59) for a week, and have felt very happy and proud of myself. In this week I feel that I have learned, interchanged ideas, met people from di...

VOY across the world