Bringing you the news from the General Assembly

Posted September 22, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://www.un.org/en/ga/president/68/img/slideshow/stocktaking-event.jpg

Source: http://www.un.org/en/ga/president/68/img/slideshow...

Hi Voices of Youth This is just a short note to let you all know that this week we'll be sharing news and coverage of various UN General Assembly events that are of importance to youth. So make sure that you keep checking in and feel free to share any comments on questions with us. Many of the UNGA events can be streamed on UN TV here. And don't forget, tomorrow the big Climate Summit is happening so follow the hashtag #climate2014 to see what everyone has to say, and make...

Mixed feelings for Gaza’s children as they return to a new school year

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10646865_10152681651724002_8564859141279916189_n.jpg?oh=c4a276fd54dbc7eb2316306b4db6abf6&oe=5482A921&__gda__=1419069300_12fb61ca9e7e43d66916bf24d40894bb

Source: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-...

The sight of schoolchildren filing into classrooms across Gaza last week was a welcome sign that in one respect at least, life in the territory is returning to some kind of normality after a traumatic summer of conflict and bloodshed. Pupils at the privately-run American International School in Gaza were back in class a week before the new academic year even began. Staff said they wanted to find a way of helping the children get back into a routine as soon as possible, so that...

On September 20th, British Actress Emma Watson stepped into her role as the Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, co-hosting the launch event for their new solidarity movement, the "HeForShe Campaign".

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/...

On September 20th, British Actress Emma Watson stepped into her role as the Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, co-hosting the launch event for their new solidarity movement, the "HeForShe Campaign". Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UN Women, proudly unveiled HeForShe as an essential tool, to mobilize a vast and far-reaching movement to support men and boys to become advocates for gender equality. Joining her on this momentous occasio...

BE PEACE: Happy International Day of Peace 2014. ☮

Posted September 21, 2014 Avatar Quincy Scott

Avatar Quincy Scott View Profile

Since it was established in 1981, September 21 is the date dedicated to building up ideals of peace, non-violence and cease-fire. Today, Sunday 21 September 2014, in a world of turmoil, confusion and conflict, every part of the globe is praying for peace. On 19 September 2014, the United Nations celebrated at The Peace Bell Ceremony where the John Lennon’s legendary song “Imagine” was selected as a medium and to mark this year’s International Day of Peace, the theme is...

We are not toys!

Posted September 20, 2014 Avatar Piumi Madushani

Avatar Piumi Madushani View Profile

Last Monday while one of my friends was travelling by bus, a man in his fifties sat next to her. Within a few minutes he had started brushing his shoulders against her, and later he had touched her knee. When she felt uncomfortable, she had moved to another seat without complaining. In another incident, a girl was asked by a guy on a crowded bus to sleep with him; however, when he touched her hand she slapped him. Further, a girl said that whenever someone comes closer and clos...

What could I tell my teenage self?

Posted September 20, 2014 no picture Yosr Jouini

no picture Yosr Jouini View Profile

“What I Would Tell My 20-Something Self" or “X things I wish I knew when I was 25”… I have comes across many articles with similar titles lately. Articles in which entrepreneurs, CEOs, writers, humanitarians and other persons express what they wish they had known at a certain age to avoid some failures or to gain more time maybe. Maybe they just wanted to avoid some disappointments or maybe not. Is it a wish or an advice for younger generations? Anyway, it doesn’t rea...

STOP THE TALKING- IT IS TIME FOR ACTION

Posted September 20, 2014 no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

Things are heating up in New York as people mobilise for the world's largest march to bring about action to combat climate change and the Seychelles is no exception. The Seychelles National Youth Assembly decided to host an event to commemorate climate change global day of action. Today was about: Mobilisation. Education. Action. As young people gathered early Saturday morning as Mahe Island experienced torrential downpours we gathered in a cosy room in a primary school. The...

MESSAGES OF PEACE FROM YOUTHS OF SEYCHELLES

Source: http://www.snyc.info/messages-of-peace-from-the-yo...

Sunday 21st September 2014 was International Peace Day. We are grateful in the Seychelles that we live in a country in peace but our heart aches as fellow young people do not enjoy this human right. A right to live in a world free of conflict and war- a world of peace. Please click on the source link which is a collection of photos taken by Anael Bodwell and I put together to commemorate International Peace Day 2014. You can click on the photos if you would like to better see t...

Addressing the Youth Unemployment Challenge in Africa

Posted September 20, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

Africa is the second most populous and 'youngest' continent on earth, having the highest concentration of youth. Up to 70 per cent of Africa’s people are under the age of 30. According to Shantayanan Devarajan, Chief Economist for the World Bank’s Africa region, the current youth of Africa are not only important for Africa but also for the world. However, young people in the continent face grave unemployment challenges. At her current level of development, one would doubt...