Rebuilding Education After Ebola

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Posted by Kamanda, Global Youth Advisory Panel Ambassador, Sierra Leone 18 May 2015: After a long monotonous nine months without attending school, children were finally able to go back when schools reopened in Sierra Leone on 14 March, 2015. Many children were happy to be back to school but there were some who did not go back. Some parents are saying they will not send their children to school any longer because Ebola is still in our environment. Many have no way to generate in...

Economics and its relevance

Published no picture Raymond Opoku

no picture Raymond Opoku

A famous British economist Alfred Marshall wrote: “Economics is the study of mankind in the ordinary business life”. You will find that an economics major prepares you for many careers, because it offers a clear, concise and rigorous way of thinking about the ordinary business life. Job recruiters and graduate admissions committees are favorably inclined towards majors. In choosing a major, you should consider several important and related questions. First, what profession(s)...

Social Norms: A Thought Splurge

Published Avatar Miss, Noor Samee

Avatar Miss
Noor Samee

Like most children, I spent my childhood as a socratic conformist. I questioned social norms, but internalized society’s ageist degradation and made no actions against the norms. I remember challenging every post-sneeze, “Bless you”, and questioning “good”’s involuntary validation for “how are you?”. I remember envying my brother’s action figures’ infinitely flexible limb sockets, and wondering why every song was about love. As I grew older, and gained confi...

What Light Can Teach Us

Published no picture Pia Fleig

no picture Pia Fleig

Imagine you are in a spacecraft, you know, one of those fancy white ones with triangular shaped wings and tinted windows. You are flying high above the earth and probably have just brewed your coffee. It tastes pretty different since your taste buds have changed in outer space. When you accidently let go off it, the cup turns faster than the brownish creamy fluid in it, but you can catch it easily. You have a day ahead that will be filled with experiments, but for now you sit w...

Humanitarian Disaster in Yemen

Published no picture Student at University of California, Los Angeles, Sadegh Atlasi

no picture Student at University of California, Los Angeles
Sadegh Atlasi

There are many conflicts and problems occurring around the world on a daily basis, which require our attention. The disastrous humanitarian situation in Yemen is among the problems that humanity is facing. There is a very destructive and unpleasant situation happening in Yemen, where civilians are stuck in the country without any organized help or support. The bombardment of Yemen by Saudi Arabia for the purpose of limiting the Houthi rebels has cost many lives. Yemen is the po...

Down by the river

Published Avatar Mr, unlimited mind

Avatar Mr
unlimited mind

Down by the river I’m just down by the river waiting for you. I’m where you left me Waiting for you, cause I have a lot in mind, questions that are looking for answers. My whole life I’ve been waiting And I’m watching days turn into years… for stories never heard by any. I’m still at the very same place waiting for you, just down by the river where you left me. I’m standing by the river made of tears, busy questioning myself about things I won’t even get an...

It Is the Same Sunset

Published Avatar Mr., Ala Oueslati

Avatar Mr.
Ala Oueslati

I had to put my camera down and surrender to the scene, my toes digging into the sandy dirt, saltwater splashing at my ankles, my eyes burning because of the warm salty breezes and the lack of sleep. I enjoyed standing there. I enjoyed squinting towards the horizon, which at that moment was a chain of mountains and hills on which I could see some white-washed buildings. I couldn’t tell if the Israeli side was prettier than the Jordanian’s, but all I could tell was that both s...

A Step Out of a Comfort Zone

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

One of the proposed challenges of the Voices of Youth Blogging Internship was to attend a local event, blog about it and share my ideas. Well… check, I did it! I went to a local event to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.’s visit to Newcastle in 1967. It was facilitated by Journey to Justice, a voluntary organisation that honours the ongoing struggle for human rights. Through arts, culture and education they aim to inspire people and encourage those to take action for social just...

The Hidden Power in the People’s Voice

Published Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology, David Molina Shvidchenco

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

Tigers have a privileged status in Asian cultures. They are portrayed in paintings, sculpted in statues, and there are even stories about them. Most of them live in captivity to avoid their extinction, but it was not always like that - there was a time in which they lived freely in the jungle, hunting wild pigs to survive. Looking at these tigers it’s interesting how quickly their situation changed and South Korea, one of the four Asian tigers, is no exception. Many of us whe...

VOY across the world