A Blogging Internship: A Learning Curve

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

My application to the Voices of Youth blogging internship was a whim. I sent a sample piece of writing as a means to test myself – to see whether I’d have the nerve to click ‘apply here’. Of course I thought I’d never hear back – over 1,000 applicants, they'd never pick a lass from Newcastle to blog on global issues affecting the youth of today. Oh…. Wait. I remember opening the email at work and I practically skipped home. As I let the elation sink in, it slowl...

Is There a Difference in Being Rude and Being Opinionated?

Published no picture Bhageera Zuleika Sivakumaran

no picture Bhageera Zuleika Sivakumaran

I have recently wondered as a girl whether in this modern era, I am allowed to voice my opinions or, if it is seemed unfit and rude to elders. A few weeks ago I met one of my friends’ father, this "Uncle" was your typical male Asian stereotype who was the voice of the family, his words are law and his decisions are final. Me, as an Asian girl, I have been raised by my parents that I must always respect my elders BUT I must also realize that although they have a vast amount...

When a Boy Loves a Man

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

When I was young, I used to spend my summers on an island fifteen minutes away from the city proper. Back then, I was a really girly girl. I wore denim skirts with pigtails, was highly invested in Bratz t-shirts and devoured young adult romance books. Like any self-conscious and self-confident preteen, I had a crush on every and any older boy I encounter. One of these was a seventeen-year-old boy (“Paolo”), who assisted my Uncle, who was a fisherman. I would wake up at five i...

Is Compulsory Military Training the Answer to Youth Unemployment?

Published Avatar Itumeleng Mphure , Ms

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

The military is the backbone and shield of any state. The military is cardinal for a state’s defence, as it protects it against internal and external threats. Throughout history the military has been used to further a state’s interest. These interests may include and are not limited to invading another country, staging a coup (internal or external), defending the state against an imminent threat, defending the region and being involved in peacekeeping missions e.g. AU, UN, EU t...

Tales From Costa Rica – Pura Vida

Published Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Costa Rica’s mantra is Pura Vida, which translates to Living Purely. It is used in all kinds of scenarios from farewells to exclamations. This saying is more than just something said to appease tourists but rather it is a way of life. Regardless of the socioeconomic status, job, or location everyone is all about Pura Vida. Costa Rica exudes this feeling and it is something that I naturally needed to reflect on. So what a better place to start my “Tales of Costa Rica” serie...

Finding Wonderland...

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

"Her eye fell upon a little bottle that stood near the looking-glass. There was no label this time with the words 'DRINK ME,' but nevertheless she uncorked it and put it to her lips. 'I know SOMETHING interesting is sure to happen,' she said to herself, 'whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does." Not that long ago, I stumbled across the VOY Blogging Internship and I decided to participate in the entry competition. Every time I write, interesting...

Letters From a Love Child

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Time Management

Published Avatar Utsah , student

Avatar student
Utsah

These past weeks, as I was busy with 9 to 5 office work, I realized the importance of time management. Earlier, I had plenty of leisure time. I could postpone my work and still find time to complete it in the future. But today, putting off one task for later means a task left incomplete. It is hard to manage time for tasks that require your attention in the present, let alone for those tasks that were delayed in the past. It is very necessary to be able to manage time. I evaluate...

Let's Talk About Women in the Tech World

Published Avatar maryb

Avatar maryb

Hi! Long time no see, Voices of Youth community J. I am sure you have stayed as amazing as I knew you and I am more than eager to start posting more often again, as I am enjoying the summer holidays. For this post, I want to bring up the subject of gender equality in the tech world again. I have written about it in some other posts of mine, but this one will be concentrated exclusively on the subject and based on my own experience. Firstly, I think it would be quite appropria...

VOY across the world