We Are Here for All of Us

Published Avatar Mr, Gerald

Avatar Mr
Gerald

I was born on November 1, 1991 in Liberia, West Africa. My survival was quite miraculous as it was just around the beginning of Liberia’s civil war. With to rising insecurities, my parents took refuge with me in Guinea, preventing them from completing their education. Since then, they have sacrificed their dreams and dedicated their lives to give me and my sibling the education they never received. An education with the goal to know God and appreciate people of different cultural...

OH SOUTH AFRICANS, WE ARE ALL AFRICANS

Published no picture Acha Harrison

no picture Acha Harrison

Oh South Africans! When did you dream up black on black racism? When did you start unleashing this animalistic brutality on us? When did you instigate another dimension of racial discrimination amongst us? When did your African brothers become inferior to you? Oh South Africans! Are Africans now foreigners in Africa? Where is the black brotherhood we have always cherished? Oh South Africans! How long shall we continue with this tradition of harming ourselves? How long shall we continue to live w...

Hi! My Name is Tumi

Published Avatar Ms, Itumeleng Mphure

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

The alarm rings at 04:50 and in a semi- comatose state she switches off her mobile handset, tossing it on the floor and drifting back into a deep slumber. At 06:10 she wakes up, rushing to get ready and leave for work. Oversleeping is one of her vices. She gets stuck in traffic and takes a selfie, but manages to get to work on time. She works at the Tiger Brands Foundation which is based in Bryanston, Johannesburg. Tiger Brands is one of Africa's biggest food companies and the...

Interview: Jocelyne Dogley - The difference a teacher makes

Published no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau

Name: Jocelyne Dogley Age: 25 Occupation: Teacher of English Language Message to young people. My message to young people is that nothing in life comes on a silver platter. You have to work hard to achieve your goals. Challenges are part of life and you have to face them in order to attain success. Lao Tzu states that ‘a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step’. Therefore, be wise and take one step at a time as there is a time in life for everything. How do you think teachers a...

Meet the Girl with Curly Hair

Published Avatar Miss, Noor Samee

Avatar Miss
Noor Samee

I am a compilation of infinite dimensions: unfinished, unfiltered, and uncategorizable. I was born with hair that twists and turns in a battle against gravity: hair that simply cannot stay in place. As a child, my energy was endless. I spent my time exploring and taking advantage of my experiences. Life was my adventure. By 12, my hair became a nuisance. I was tired of being different. I straightened it everyday in attempt to conform, but I only ended up burning it out. All I w...

A Tale of Sternutation and Salutations

Published Avatar Miss, Rumby

Avatar Miss
Rumby

It’s 6:30 am, I sit in my “Properties of Soils in the Tropics” class. I can’t believe I have made it to third year already! It is exciting and frightening at the same time. Soon (in 2016), I will be graduating from EARTH University in Costa Rica so I allow myself to imagine the outfits I will be wearing during our graduation week and muse over the possibility that my cap will not fit over my huge Afro… The Professor enters the laboratory and introduces himself and rig...

A First Step Towards Finding Myself

Published Avatar Mr., Ala Oueslati

Avatar Mr.
Ala Oueslati

I come from a region that is often misunderstood by foreigners, especially those overseas. Throughout my travels, I have always found myself obliged to think of a simple, uncomplicated, and clear way to explain why I am African, yet not black, not Muslim, not hungry, not riding a camel, not suffering from epidemics in my town, and able to speak both French and Arabic as mother tongue. These stereotypes are obviously not true all the time, and I am the living proof (plus million...

Starting a Long Journey

Published Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology, David Molina Shvidchenco

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

Two years ago my chemistry professor told me that whenever I have to deal with something that seems impossible to solve I just have to divide it into steps. I should then tackle them one by one instead of everything at the same time. It’s best to start with the steps I am more comfortable with so that I can build my confidence. So, let’s start with the basics. I am a 19-year-old man and I live in the country of “Pura Vida”, Costa Rica.Even though it is small (0,03% of the...

The Identity Question

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Hello, my name is Elizabeth. One: I live in Newcastle. I make a mean lemon cake. I’m passionate about language. I take evening classes in French. My shoelaces always come undone. I love to investigate. I failed my driving test five times before passing. I have a freckle on my toe. I’m a graduate of History. I like to read Spike Milligan’s poetry. I write postcards. I’m open-minded. I am excited by challenging perspectives. I pick up pennies for luck. Ants fascinate me. I believe in the...

VOY across the world