Mining in a National Park: The Case of Lower Zambezi

Posted April 16, 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia View Profile

The Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA) in the past few weeks rejected a proposal by Australia’s Zambezi Resources to develop a US $494-million opencast copper mine in lower Zambezi national park because of environmental concerns. This came into effect after this autonomous body (ZEMA) carried out an Environmental Impact Assessment (EPA) which revealed several issues which included the copper leach process whose affluence could have affected with the ecosystem. Zambia i...

Bedrooms are Important

Posted April 14, 2014 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy View Profile

http://news.distractify.com/culture/childrens-bedrooms-across-the-world/ Recently, I saw something posted on Facebook which was incredibly thought provoking. It wasn't some ornate tapestry, confounding riddle or joke I could not understand. Rather, it was a demonstration of the condition of the world through the medium of photography. I was appalled. The photos were not ugly or disgusting. Instead, I felt as if my place in the world was so detached from the places of others that...

Soccer Without Borders: Development and Peace in Nicaragua

Posted April 14, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

Soccer Without Borders (Fútbol Sin Fronteras) celebrated International Day of Sport. Soccer Without Borders uses soccer as a vehicle for positive change in the lives of young girls. They are located in Nicaragua, Uganda, and the U.S., but we received our first blog post from Nicaragua! In Granada, Nicaragua, they focus specifically on providing more sport and educational opportunities to Nicaraguan girls. They combine practices, soccer games and activities that focus on the de...

Tech Girls Reporting on Sanitation in Their School

Posted April 14, 2014 no picture Tech Girls

no picture Tech Girls View Profile

Watch Tech Girls from Pong Tamale M/A primary in a video report about the sanitation in their school.

The Perks of Web Activism

Posted April 14, 2014 no picture Beata Ayu

no picture Beata Ayu View Profile

With the rise of social media and online communities, the tech savvy young are continually penetrating into various different channels as they ardently voice their opinions and rally for change. This is one of the advantages of today’s technological advancement that is applicable not only limited to youths but also the older generations. With the privileges at hand, Indonesia was capable of being part of an online global social activist movement called Change.org, allowing indivi...

I Am an Advocate For Youth!

Posted April 14, 2014 no picture Victor Brown Omovbude

no picture Victor Brown Omovbude View Profile

I have seen people change and at the same time witnessed a retrograde in youths. I have been around areas where there is no hope for light and peace, but in this same situation some people still survive. I have been around youth, boys and girls, that have made life difficult for themselves due to lack of knowledge. And my countenance has dwindled, because I have witnessed a holocaust of ruined lives in the past, even now. I love peace and the prospect it brings. I love sanctuary - a foundation l...

Who is to blame for Youth(s) Illegal Act ?

Posted April 12, 2014 no picture Victor Brown Omovbude

Many a time, I have tried to deduce the consequences of some arrogant notions displayed by most youths. The world we live in is profoundly able to garnish our being to prosperity, and at the same make us subjects to harsh circumstances which will carve us into strong, unrelenting and determined youths if we work towards perfection. And we destroy our aspect for a futuristic goal if we reduce our stance, by ploughing the roads of havoc. Today, we have youths in prisons, for violating governmental...

What are the causes of the increase in prostitution rates in Kabwe?

Posted April 12, 2014 no picture Mujyinja_Connect_Zambia

no picture Mujyinja_Connect_Zambia View Profile

Prostitution as a whole has become a serious draw back in the development of the country; this is because most of the men and women are practicing it instead of taking part in developmental projects. Prostitution is as a result of the following reasons like; pleasure, curiosity, ignorance and so on. Envy has greatly contributed in a way that people engage themselves in prostitution because they want to have the things that other people have. Sensitization can also help reduce the r...

Its been a good ride!

Posted April 12, 2014 no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba

no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba View Profile

This is my last month in the VOY internship. I have had an amazing time for the past six months; I have met some pretty amazing friends and interacted intellectually with a few great minds from Africa and beyond. I have had strong critics in my posts, and had my stories read by so many people, I have pushed my mind to greater heights, interrogated concepts and beliefs, shared opinions and inspirations and most of all I have been able to discover some truth in my quest. I have exper...