About The Time My Voice Was Heard

Published Avatar Melanie Ortiz , UNICEF Alumni & College Student

Avatar UNICEF Alumni & College Student
Melanie Ortiz

If someone came up to you when you were 15 years old and told you: “In the next two years, you will have an impact on the world, your voice will be heard and you will move one step closer to changing the world”, would you believe them? I wouldn’t have and yet, here I am. Two years later, I am sitting at my desk typing away the words that share my unbelievable experience with UNICEF. It’s only fitting, considering everything began one day in July 2014, when I sat down with...

The Most Dangerous Kind of Ignorance

Published Avatar Chloe Weigel , High School Student

Avatar High School Student
Chloe Weigel

Three years from now, I will graduate high school. On that day, I will be one of millions to inherit the world. Everyone will take a different path- going to college or joining the workforce. However, there is one thing that will impact every single one of us, and that is global issues. I believe that it is of utmost importance that everyone understands the world, and its issues. Everyone will inherit it at some point, and we need to know what is going on in it, and how we can make...

Her name was Ayanna

Published Avatar Jessica Smith , Master's candidate, activist & philanthropist

Avatar Master's candidate, activist & philanthropist
Jessica Smith

Her name was Ayanna, which is a Hindu name meaning "innocent". She was innocent and beautiful indeed. It was a beauty so pure and unparalleled that its description could fill a thousand pages. Not necessarily a superficial beauty bound by appearances but one that comes from within. Looking back, we probably had a lot in common. Maybe we would have been friends even. She was kind and lively and the people of the neighbourhood liked her. She was poor but happy and would be conten...

What anxiety feels like

Published Avatar Andrijana Prodanic , Student

Andrijana Prodanic

Just because my hair is perfectly straight and my outfit is on point doesn’t mean I have everything worked out. My scars may not snow on the outside, my hand may not be in a cast but I’m hurting. Even if you can’t see it, the pain is still there. Anxiety is the weight on my shoulders I carry every day. It makes you think everything’s wrong when all is perfectly fine. Anxiety is when you feel everything at once. Paranoia, embarrassment, shyness and doubt. When you...

Fetty Wap: The Wordsworth of Our Generation?

Published no picture Jennifer Boyd , Founder and President of The Space Between the Notes; Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Onism Journal

no picture Founder and President of The Space Between the Notes; Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Onism Journal
Jennifer Boyd

Ask a sixteen-year-old to name some of his favorite hip-hop artists, and you’ll hear names such as Fetty Wap and G-Eazy. These artists are at the vanguard of a new century of hip-hop/rap. With lyrics such as, “I got a glock in my rari” (Fetty Wap’s “679”) and “However long these drugs last, don’t know why I live so fast” (G-Eazy’s “Let’s Get Lost”), poetry is the last banner one might place rap under. For older generations, these burgeoning American rapper...

Life - A Beauty

Published no picture Maryam Raashed , Student

Maryam Raashed

There is only black and white, no grey. You have it or do not have it. But this is not as simple. There are only two conditions when you live. Either you have nothing when you have everything. Or you have everything when you have nothing. Glee dances in her eyes, merriment plays on her lips. She has a something in her hand. Something that is the world to her. That picture which she holds, is a beautiful memory. The memory of being together. Memories of times she could hide hersel...

I am taught

Published no picture Anon , Student

Anon

Taught to fit in, from birth till now I am taught how to talk, what to say and what to not. I am taught how to dress...don’t show too much skin..that’s disgusting, you’re a lady remember your age. I am taught the labeling of people, I am taught that division is ok. I am taught to see everyone in a category. I am programmed how to live so it can be repeated to the later generation. I am taught racism, that the colour of your skin defines you. That the way y...

Conserve Ecology Or Perish

Published Avatar Niranjan Dev Bharadwaj , Student

Niranjan Dev Bharadwaj
http://www.electronictimers.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/world_in_hands.jpg

Conserve Ecology or Perish This is a very famous saying given in the Bhagavad Gita, which is a 700-verse ancient Indian scripture in Sanskrit .Bhagavad Gita is a narrative framework of a dialogue between Pandava prince Arjuna and his guide and charioteer Lord Krishna. The saying “Converse Ecology or Perish “is very true in context of today’s world .This message of the Bhagavad Gita, is very clear and precise. It is narrated in the third chapter of this great work that a...

Imagination as a Right

Published no picture Jennifer Garcia , Georgia State University

no picture Georgia State University
Jennifer Garcia

I used to see my imagination as a negative thing. Most people think that having an imagination is just for small children, so that left me asking what am I? I don’t think I’m a big little kid. On the contrary I think of my imagination as an adult real life mechanism. I use it to fill my days with a real purpose. I use it to write the words that flow out of my mind. I use it to describe a world I know can exist. I know a peaceful world can exist. Right now its trial and error bu...

VOY across the world