Transgender Rights Are Human Rights

Published Avatar Zainab Ahmed Chughtai , Student

Zainab Ahmed Chughtai

Transgender people are those people who experience a mismatch between their gender identity or gender expression, and their assigned sex. Most transgender people face discrimination at work, in public and at health care centers or hospitals. Gender Interactive Alliance (GIA) works for the rights and social justice for transgender people in Pakistan. Transgender people do not have same rights as other Pakistanis. They are harassed, discriminated and are subjected to violence for...

Babajee

Published no picture Noor Samee

no picture Noor Samee

Pakistan passed a law in the 1980s to target the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, a minority sect of Islam. Zia-ul-Haq, the country's president at the time, justified the ordinance by claiming that Ahmadis are not true Muslims. Praying, using Islamic greetings, and reading the Quran was (and still is) considered a crime. According to Ordinance XX, if an Ahmadi "pretends" to follow Islam in any shape or form, they can be fined, sent to jail, or even killed. Part I I was born...

The Unarmed Armor

Published no picture Riju , Nepal Scouts

no picture Nepal Scouts
Riju

“Welcome to Sindhupalchowk” I saw it highlighted in a sideboard. Stared at it for a while; a pair of heart pound. “Are we really going there?” ‘Sindhupalchowk’ The longer is the word; the longer is its pain. A word enough to describe the latest catastrophe leaving hundreds dead and thousands injured. A word we would stick on and feel sympathetic. Sindhupalchowk was the charred finger of the disastrous Nepal earthquake. In collaboration with Nepal scouts and Naad...

Worth

Published no picture sophiejchadwick

no picture sophiejchadwick

It was Mental Health Awareness week (woo!) recently so I thought I’d talk a tiny bit about that. I think it’s great because it brings what usually is kept in the shadows out into the limelight. The thing about mental health is that deterioration can happen slowly, your life getting more and more grey each day, or suddenly appear, generally without realisation of what is going on until it’s a bit too late. It gets progressively worse, some days you’ll have good days, som...

You Can End Poverty - As One

Published no picture Transform Reform

no picture Transform Reform
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/13249878_1759623247617170_852977958_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI1NTI0NTkwNTc4ODQyODM4NA%3D%3D.2

Imagine a world where we support the cause of poverty as a community - together. Maybe we can't win over everyone but a million people around the world is justified. Donating 3 pounds on one day - a world poverty day - we could generate 3 million pounds. The marketing pressure of that large amount of money would be watched to have to make change. Engaging peoples' curiosity to see the news and hype about the event. News reports asking why 3 million pounds can't bring meaningful...

Equality

Published no picture Tanusree Sen , Software Engineer

no picture Software Engineer
Tanusree Sen

Women Empowerment, equality, Peace Drive, etc. These words and quotes seem very common to our ears since ages; especially in the recent past. It seems like the current trend or the “Vogue” is discussing: Sexual Violence, women empowerment, gender equality and what not. The rabble-rousing speech by UN Women Goodwill ambassador, Emma Watson shook the very foundation of our thoughts and beliefs with regards to the current proceedings and issues of discussion. Her "HE for She"...

Youth or Experience?

Published Avatar Christos Metaxas , District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament

Avatar District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament
Christos Metaxas

Wouldn’t it be great to combine a youthful body with the wisdom of age? We usually see this unrealistic idea being the subject of comedies, partially because a serious look would be sunk by the global community as a crazy prospective. Still, everyone seems to wish for that comedy to become their life every time they say “Youth is wasted on the young”. My short response to that belief would be “no”. Youth is exactly where it needs to be and the same stands for age. Youth...

Your Patronus Charm

Published no picture Maya kaddah

no picture Maya kaddah

Have you read the Harry potter book series? No? Yes? Anyway, the Patronus Charm is a spell mentioned in the magic books of the genius J.K Rowling, that in order for the spell to be cast one must muster the happiest memory (the happier the memory the better the charm works), the main use of this spell is to drive off certain dark creatures. But why do you need to know all of that? Every life has its ups and downs, times of weakness, we live in a crazy world full of wars, injus...

Everything's Changing

Published Avatar Andri P. , High School Student/ Member of Cyprus Children's Parliament

Avatar High School Student/ Member of Cyprus Children's Parliament
Andri P.

“I try to stay awake and remember my name But everybody’s changing and I don’t feel the same” Change. Remember the word? The word that everyone always told you is ‘good’. Is change good? Is change avoidable? You can always try. Try avoiding change... You lock yourself up in a plastic ball. You live there, breathe there, eat there... You do everything you can to avoid change. But, then, your friend outside your plastic ball changes... Your efforts die in va...

VOY across the world