First World Education

Posted no picture Zahra Biabani

no picture Zahra Biabani View Profile

It's the Sunday night before the end of Spring break and all over your twitter feed the tweet "can't wait to go back to prison tomorrow", or "I would rather die than go to school", or "I hate school so much", is popping up. I get it- school can be stressful, people can be bullies, and it might be a dirty place filled with germs. But every time I find myself complaining about the mysterious red stain on the lunchroom chair, or the putrid smell from the upstairs hallways, I think...

The Reunion

Posted no picture Angkush

no picture Angkush View Profile

To those who are truly, madly and deeply in love ! : Here I stand again in the middle of my favourite long-known land. Feeling like a sapien with an old soul; all I can see is the parched soil; all I can hear is the whistling gust of wind; all I can feel is a blend of rainbowish emotions. The wait is over: the heavy sky shall soon soothe the pain of the dry earth; the flower shall not fear to bloom again for the wind promises to be predictable; the raindrops shall merrily imbibe...

Dear World...

Posted Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante View Profile

What is one message you want to share with the world? Dear World, Never forget to be idealistic and revolutionary. Never lose sight of your dreams… Dear World, is an innovative book, in the making, which compiles short letters addressed to the world from its youth. The goal is to show that a group of “kids” can do something profound, something that will leave its mark and ultimately something that can change the world. The central question of the book i...

Global Voice for Change Learning Video

Posted Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International View Profile

Plan International spoke to young people we work with in four countries to explore how they are communicating with each other and what they would like to do if they were able to connect with young people in other countries. The video above summarises what they said. Click here to learn more about the Global Voice for Change project and the Youth Steering Committee. Click here for a longer video which explains our learning in more detail.

Words can destroy people

Posted no picture binaila

no picture binaila View Profile

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with depression. I knew I was depressed, but after I was diagnosed, I felt even more depressed. Some days I am happy and spunky, while other days, I feel like I am in a pit of despair and as if there will never be a day where I will be happy again. What triggers the bad days are what people are saying or doing. For example, one day a girl was sitting next to me in class and she said, "I don't know how people could be depressed, it's weird, like I'm...

Name: Marius Esparon Age: 23 Occupation: Benefit Officer Explain to us what is Ile Perseverance? Ile Perseverance is a reclaimed artificial island on the north eastern coast of Mahe, less than five minutes drive from Victoria. How long have you been living there? I’ve been living there since February 2011 among the 1st batch of people to receive their House keys to stay on the island. You were the young pioneer what did you have to do? As Perseverance lack...

Art is forever (?)

Posted Avatar Cathleen Lee

Avatar Cathleen Lee View Profile

Almost every piece of writing from Baekje or Goguryeo* isn't available to us. Why? Because they don't exist. Silla's unification of the three kingdoms surprisingly left few documents written by people other than Silla. So, wherever you go, you won't be able to find anything from Goguryeo and Baekje, except for a few statues and wall paintings. People often say that art is forever. And this is mostly true. We can easily feel the immortality of art in our everyday lives. From Del...

In The Name Of Religion

Posted no picture Rafia Saleem

no picture Rafia Saleem View Profile

September 2012 - “What is this?” I exclaimed, couldn’t believing what I saw. My car was jammed in the midst of hundreds of Madrasah students. In the small city of Bahawalpur, this was a very unusual sight. There were children of all ages, carrying posters and chanting against the blasphemous video. “Baji, these children study in nearby Madrasahs. Today, they have come out to protest,” my driver informed. “But they are so many. They cannot be all from seminaries,” I do...

Real Stories of Ebola

Posted Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International View Profile

"Every day and night, I sit in my family's little home in Monrovia and watch people from my community cry as their family members are taken away by the National Ebola Taskforce to be cremated. They cry that they won't see their family any more, they won't even be able to talk about them at their graveside. As these dead bodies are taken away, I wonder how life will be for their family and how will their children survive as most of the victims of Ebola are usually the heads of...

VOY across the world