Femininity is POWERFUL

Published Avatar Miss, Noor Samee

Avatar Miss
Noor Samee

I am a woman, I’d say a confident and driven one at that, and I love my femininity. As a young girl, I have been told countless times that feminine interests such as makeup and fashion take away from a the legitimacy of a hardworking, professional person. I have been told that the only way to feel powerful is to adopt masculine traits. And in response to the people who have told me that, I’d say I completely disagree. Feminine traits are not appreciated nearly as much as they...

This is the first vlog from Omar, a student in Senegal. He's looking at sexual violence in schools and talk to three girls who were raped by their teacher when they were 13. He also speaks to the father of one girl who reveals how he discovered the abuse was happening. The vlog is the first in a series where young people from all over the world will talk about issues affecting them. Trained by Plan International, the vloggers seek to give a voice to young people in developing...

The is space for girls in Space!

Published no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation

Space...it's the great frontier and the Optimistic Youth Reporters from COSAT high school are exploring the possibilities.The Cape Town Science Centre & Living Maths, in partnership with the United States Consulate General in Cape Town, invited the youth reporters to chat to NASA Chief Scientist Dr. Ellen Stofan and NASA Astronaut Dr. Catherine Coleman. Gender diversity in science and space was top of the agenda.

Ending Conversion Therapy in America

Published no picture Miss, Meredith Avera

no picture Miss
Meredith Avera

Conversion therapy, or therapy aimed to change the identities of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, has now been banned for minors in three states and Washington D.C. This is a strong move for the protection of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) youth, who are some of the most at-risk youth in America. In fact, 20% of homeless youth in America are LGBT, and the reason is mostly family conflicts. Once homeless, LGBT youth are more likely to be assaulted phys...

Millennium Children: Say NO to sexual violence in schools

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Children born in and around the year 2000 bought together by Plan International interview peers to decide if the Millennium Development Goals (‪MDGs) have benefited or failed them. As we reach the end date of the MDGs and set out new targets, young people from across the globe conclude that school-related gender-based violence (SRGBV) is destroying girls' education and that the issue needs to be addressed - fast. SRGBV limits enrolment, undermines participation, and increases...

From Manenberg to World renowned leadership academy

no picture Children's Radio Foundation

The Manenberg Youth Reporters explored the issue of schools and the kind of education they are able to provide with Wanay Adams; a former high school student from Manenberg who now attends the prestigious Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in Gauteng. Manenberg schools and the leadership academy are worlds apart; and resources at schools appears to be one of the elusive keys in unlocking a quality education, according to the young reporters.

I Call It the SIDS Tax or SIDS Interest Rate

Published no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau

HSBC’s “Think Globally. Act Locally” resounds true especially when it comes to climate change. Without barriers in our atmosphere actions we take anywhere in the world could be having an impact on another place thousands of miles away from that very act. For years we have seen this become the norm and indifference persists. This is especially the case when it comes to burning fossil fuels for the purpose of development. As an islander having grown up and living on a small isl...

Changing the colour of my skin

no picture Children's Radio Foundation

The Optimistic Youth Reporters from COSAT high school attended a workshop on the topic of Skin Lightening at the University of Cape Town. Academics shared their insights and opinions as did the youth reporters. It became clear the story wasn't all in the facts.

Being African and a Feminist

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

“Gender equality is not a woman’s issue, it is a human issue. It affects us all” - Unknown One great gift for a Nigerian feminist is a Nigerian man who get it. This is not as common as one would expect. But if you are a Nigerian (female) and and you have that one male friend who you don’t really need to explain a thing to; by all means put that friend to work, let that friend be your mouthpiece or quarterback. In my country, to say you are a feminist is to implore a n...

VOY across the world