Published by MischaVOY

VOY Blogging Internship - Applications Now Open!

Hi everyone! Applications for the next round of Voices of Youth blogging internships are now o...

She Matters Too

Published no picture Destiny Faye VR

no picture Destiny Faye VR

I recently witnessed a few homeless people gathered outside a store. All of them were men except for one little girl among them, around the age of two years, sitting off to the side. The men were drinking alcohol, not paying any attention to the little girl. I was really taken aback by the situation. I am aware that this was not a remarkable or unusual scenario, but when I saw it, my heart broke and it really made me sad. It made me sad because I thought about that little...

She is Not a Statistic

Published Avatar Jenn Little

Avatar Jenn Little

I'm 15. Today as I turned over the warm sheets and tip-toe down the stairs, I watch the sun rise. In dim light I spread butter over toast: a daily ritual. A girl halfway across the world writes… “I'm 15. Today I woke up in a refugee shelter in a foreign land, nothing like home. The ladies who bring us food each day are so kind. They try to talk but I can't understand. I smile.” But no one will read it. I walk about a mile to school every day. The slam of the meta...

Mental Health

Published no picture taliasila , Student

taliasila

Mental health is really important, it's what made you who you are and how you think about something that happens in your life. So what about those who are suffering from mental illness ? Do they think differently from normal people ? Mental illness is not something that someone should be ashamed for, and they should be treated as they are not what they are suffering from, but also mental illness is not for showing of or just to go with the trend. I don't see a lot of people...

Stand Up For What You Believe In

Published Avatar Premkumar Heigrujam , Student

Premkumar Heigrujam

Where: New Delhi, India. It was just a normal day. I was returning from a friend's place. I took a rickshaw from Kamla Nagar to Mukherjee Nagar, where I was staying, at Rs 50. On the way, I saw a well-dressed gentleman near Daulat Ram College holding a paper cup and throwing it on the road itself and entered into a car. On seeing his action, I asked the rickshaw driver uncle if he ever heard Swachh Bharat Abhiyan campaign by none other than the Prime Minister of India. He enthu...

Children's Rights in Lebanon - Destroyed

Published Avatar Elio Mouhanna , Student

Elio Mouhanna

Lebanon has been upgrading itself from the violent bombardments of the civil war that occurred in the late 20th century. However, it has weakened the good fortune of our children to progressively grow as established individuals. Even though the nation is slowly improving, Lebanon still has a long shot to reach a perfect solution for the rights of its children. Some issues like poverty and education should be studied in order to make children happy again. Firstly, Lebanon has ar...

We Are One - End the Indifference

Published no picture Jordan V. , Artist

no picture Artist
Jordan V.

How does one express themselves, let their inner and outer beauty shine, when there is so much discrimination whirling like a harsh, hurricane wind? How will American citizens ever be able to be free of indifference if they are pushed away because of how the look, what they believe, or what gender they are attracted to? The answer to these questions is they cannot and they will never, because citizens who are different in varying ways are hesitant and afraid to show their true selv...

The Last Nail in the Coffin of the Arabisation Policy

Published no picture Souhaila Rahbi , Student, KULeuven Belgium

no picture Student, KULeuven Belgium
Souhaila Rahbi

Morocco, along with Algeria and Tunisia, opted for an Arabisation policy after its independence with a rationale of establishing a linguistic and cultural unification within the Arab Muslim world and restoring an authentic identity that was defiled by colonialism. Arabic was presented as the only legitimate language for a Muslim country that would regenerate a lost identity. Yet, Arabisation was certainly not successful as an educational policy. It was said that Arabic is our m...

Everyone Deserves Love

Published no picture James Bird

no picture James Bird

This is a personal story of an encounter I had with a homeless man on the streets of Philadelphia. I was on a road trip with my dad visiting colleges during my Senior year spring break. We had gotten to our hotel before dusk so we decided that we had enough time to check out Independence Hall before it got too late. Since the walk was fairly far, we decided to take a bus to our destination. It took a little longer than we suspected since our bus hit a car and we had to get out an...

Are We So Different Or So Similar?

Published Avatar Natalie Esmail

Avatar Natalie Esmail

The paradox of living in this unfair world is a game itself. You were born with the same capabilities as everyone else. Yet, the other person that was born at the same minute on the same day, is living under completely different conditions. You will ask yourself, what is she talking about? Of course things are this way - it’s life. No one is supposed to be similar to anyone. It’s the essence of life. The most important question is: why? Why are we different? And why does...

VOY across the world