The Hidden Power in the People’s Voice

Published Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology, David Molina Shvidchenco

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

Tigers have a privileged status in Asian cultures. They are portrayed in paintings, sculpted in statues, and there are even stories about them. Most of them live in captivity to avoid their extinction, but it was not always like that - there was a time in which they lived freely in the jungle, hunting wild pigs to survive. Looking at these tigers it’s interesting how quickly their situation changed and South Korea, one of the four Asian tigers, is no exception. Many of us whe...

25.04.2015

Published Avatar student, Utsah

Avatar student
Utsah

It was a cold Saturday morning. The preceding days of rain gave the morning an unusual, sharp chill. I was on my bed when the tremor started. There had been a few short shakes after the 2011 earthquake, which had a magnitude of 6.9 on the Richter scale. I thought it was one of those and lay calm on my bed. But this time the quake did not stop, on the contrary, it got stronger. Soon I found myself rushing under the door frame of my room (back in 2011, I had learnt that this was on...

Someone Has to Say It Part 2: The Evolution of Love

Published Avatar Miss, Rumby

Avatar Miss
Rumby

Have you ever really thought about it? Love and the diaspora. Growing up, I was always told that I had to obtain my basic education before having a romantic relationship. By the time I finished primary school, the phrase: Books before boys because boys bring babies was ingrained in my brain. I was terrified about bringing my mother a baby instead of a degree. In 2012, I left the African continent for the American one. My flight went from Botswana to South Africa, took me all the...

The Invention Of Creativity

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun. — Mary Lou Cook How often do we break out from the norm? Try out new things? Dip our feet in untouched waters, doing uncommon stuff, like students going to class without shoes just for the fun of it? Or going to the gym in a nice suit and workout hard until you begin to feel your muscles make some noise? OR better still, when people call you with a wrong number, t...

A Young Book Review

Published Avatar Ms, Itumeleng Mphure

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

In 2014 I made a decision to only read books written by African authors. The decision came about when I read two books. The first is "People of The Dew" which is about Africa's richest tribe, the “Royal Bafokeng Nation”, who are a Setswana tribe from Rustenburg, South Africa. The book is a historic account of the tribe dating back from the 1700s to the 2000s. The Bafokeng tribe is the richest tribe because their land is on South Africa's platinum belt. The tribe literally posit...

10 Lessons I Learned from Amy Poehler's "Yes Please"

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

Amy Poehler is one badass woman. She is a comedian and actress, best known for her time on Saturday Night Live and as the lead in Parks and Recreation. She is also a writer, director, producer, mother and a woman dedicated to making young girls’ lives a little bit better. This week I finally got my hands on her new memoir/autobiography “Yes Please.” These are the top 10 pieces of advice I got from Amy’s FANTASTIC accounts of her life. On Life: 1. Sleep helps you...

A Letter to Social Media Abusers

Published Avatar Mr, Gerald

Avatar Mr
Gerald

Dear Friends, Hope this letter meets you healthy and happy. I am inspired to write today about our misuse of social media, which I am not happy about. Some will agree with me and some won’t. But it’s normal to have disagreement sometimes in life. However, I hope you take these words in good faith and not as the beginning of a war. I created a Facebook account in July 2009. That day was the first time I had chatted with a cousin who I had never met or spoken with. She wa...

HEART BEAT FOR MY ENVIRONMENT...FEAR NOT.

Published no picture Cadmus Atake-E

no picture Cadmus Atake-E

I hear crying and wailing somewhere in the heart of the northern part of Nigeria.... A place where death has it sting wrapped up in the clothes of the people they die of bombs, Girls are kidnapped yet no hope of freedom insight A land of fury were young men die from the sting of terrorism in the hands of Boko Haram... A region whose prosperity is beyond measures yet wallow in abject poverty...hunger, homelessness, beggars are all we see around us... I see the Amajiris...

Drifting Life at a Tip of a Bridge.

Published no picture Tharindu Dhanusha Fernando

no picture Tharindu Dhanusha Fernando

Life runs along a narrow bridge. One side is beaming with prosperity, wealth and happiness, but the other side suffers from poverty, destitution and grievance. Every human being wants to pick the first side but it is inevitable to avoid the latter. Sometimes life drifts between two sides as the bridge swings. However life ends when the connection of the bridge ruptures. Each of these categories resembles their own identity. They have inherent advantages as well as disadvantages i...

VOY across the world