My Favorite Approach is the Human Rights Based Approach

Posted no picture Idil Kına , Medical Student

no picture Medical Student
Idil Kına

A few days ago, I gave a presentation about world hunger. It was a presentation I gave to my friends in the faculty. I basically mentioned the things I mentioned in my previous blog here in VoY. So while preparing my presentation, I did a little research about how hunger and the right to access food was mentioned in the documents about human rights. Besides the mentioning of access to food in the 25th segment of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I came across something...

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights clearly states that: "Men and women... without any limitation... have the right to marry and to found a family." It can't be more explicit. However, in the present, our planet is inhabited by no less than 7 billion people, and the number keeps rising. There has been scientific discussion on whether the world population will stabilize and stay below or around 10 B in the future, but evidence like climate change, the birth of the term "en...

Posted no picture John Leo Algo , Climate Advocate

no picture Climate Advocate
John Leo Algo

Eyes opened to a hazy sky Blinded like anvils on the fly Driving along this busy road Looking at the growing workload Of a city engulfed in clouds Designed as slowly turning shrouds Wealthy and poor, young and old Breathing the poisoned warmth so cold Smoke rising from hundreds of cars Leading to lungs bearing black scars Chemicals bursting from the fire Causing a dirtier quagmire The unpleasant whiff from garbage A scent worse than any carnage...

The World of Spirituality

Posted Avatar Nafees A. Siddique , Writer

Avatar Writer
Nafees A. Siddique

I was acting as an observer but now I try to be a doer as well. I started to observe life a long time ago but then I realized how easy it is to observe things, observe nature, observe people and be sad about it. I asked myself, what’s next? Many days passed seeking for the right answer. Life seemed to me a burden, a burden full of pain, full of restrictions, full of despair, full of regrets, and full of justifications. It took me even more time to become a doer. Now when I...

4 Steps to overcome fear

Posted no picture Belahdji Mohamed Walid , Etudiant en informatique

no picture Etudiant en informatique
Belahdji Mohamed Walid

« So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. » This were the first words of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s speech after becoming president. It was 1933. USA is living its longest, deepest and darkest era because of the 1929 Economical Crash. Roosevelt was elected in the worst year to be a president. It was the Great Depressi...

Lebanon's efforts matter

Posted no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

A few days ago I read the following news online: At the refugee summit in New York (19th September 2016), where the chief executives of 50 countries were present, the host and American president Barack Obama has expressed appreciative words for Canada and Germany, for their engagement in the refugee crisis we are currently facing. He appreciated their politics of openness and the support that the refugees receive there. He also acknowledged Mexico, Sweden and Jordan for their effor...

PLURAL+ Awards 2016: My Invisible Mother

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member

Name: Pascal Huynh Title of your video: My Invisible Mother Age: 26 What 3 words describe you best? Caring, understanding, patient Tell us about your video – what is it about? This short film is about the unspoken side of adoption. What motivated you to create this video? After meeting with many adoptees and their (biological) parents, I listened to what they are fighting for. It became clear to me that their Human Rights have been ignored and that the po...

Dump the Caffeine

Posted Avatar Onnolee Brown , College Student

Avatar College Student
Onnolee Brown

Take a moment, just breathe. I know you've just been pouring caffeine into your system all day but that's not what life is for. It disgusts me, to see people every morning pouring caffeine into their bodies, because they're either too tired or need an energy boost. Sure I think coffee is nice but I don't drink it every month, heck I probably only drink it every few months, and I don't have the caffeine kind. Not to mention I don't really drink pop, except for Root Beer. I feel...

The Limits of science...

Posted no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

How far can we go? What is science? Science is a body of knowledge that makes observations about the world, systematically describes them (theories, rules and laws) and serves as modeling tool so that we can predict the future. Science is powerful. Very powerful. It is the cause why we can communicate with people thousands of miles away, why we can heat our food in microwaves, why we can watch TV, why a simple cold is no longer dangerous to us, why we can monitor the weather, w...

VOY across the world