Cinematographic Change – Inspired by Plato

Posted November 20, 2014 no picture Jason Bholanauth

no picture Jason Bholanauth View Profile

Imagine that you are sitting in a chair in a movie theater for your entire life. The theater is dark and all you can see is the wide movie screen in front of you. You can’t move because your hands and your ankles are tied to the chair. The back of the chair is high above your head so that it is impossible for you to look behind. All you can see is this wide screen in front of you and people sitting next to you in the same chair as you are seated. You’ve been watching movie...

Mauritius Island is not just about stunning beaches, the Sun, summer, beautiful sights, amazing food, delicious fruits, a rich folklore, a mix of cultures, hospitality and the “Paradise Island” that is portrayed on postal cards, describing perfect spots for tourists to spend their holidays. Since 1968, at the occasion of the Independence Day on the 12th of March, our National Anthem is heartily sung in every corner of the Island: “As one people, as one nation, in peace, j...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

Posted November 19, 2014 no picture Rachel_GEMConnectLeaders_Philadelphia_USA

no picture Rachel_GEMConnectLeaders_Philadelphia_USA View Profile

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Continuing the Pledge: Sustaining Development through Environmental Responsibility". After the conference last year, student leaders met at the United Nations in New York City to present their fo...

Across the 38th parallel

Posted November 19, 2014 Avatar Cathleen Lee

Avatar Cathleen Lee View Profile

According to UNHCR, more than ever since World War II, the number of refugees are increasing. Of course, we have the people in the Middle East, and the new group who need help because of climate change. However, today I'd like to talk about refugees who come from a place about a 5-hour drive from my home, Daejeon, South Korea. Our closest neighbor, North Korea. Recently, I had the chance to act as the Special Rapporteur when we were doing a model UN assembly in a gifted edu...

The importance of Education

Posted November 19, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/kurura-young-reporters/the-...

The reason why children are sent to school is to set up their goals and reach their dreams.

Environmentaly Stable

Posted November 19, 2014 Avatar John Esher

Avatar John Esher View Profile

In our world the global community seems to be blinded by the blight of environmental stability. The countries that are members of the United Nations should be paying close attention. Polar ice caps are melting, the worlds beaches are disappearing, and our rain forests are being depleted with almost no opposition. These problems bring along freak weather patterns including colder winters and hotter summers. Not only have we had these problems building up all our lives but also our p...

Safety in the Classroom

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Sean_UNSLCD_NewJersey_USA

Avatar Sean_UNSLCD_NewJersey_USA View Profile

Nelson Mandela once famously said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." If that's so, why is it that, according to the UN News Center, 58 million children of primary school age remain out of school? A major underlying problem facing the world of education is safety in the classroom. Who is stopping children from attending school? In most cases, parents and families want their children to attend classes and receive an education. Educated...

Technology & Human Rights

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Pao Suárez

Avatar Pao Suárez View Profile

Many young people have been called by their older relatives “magicians” just for helping with things we do in our daily basis like recovering an email accidentally deleted or changing the font on a text. Every day we learn something new about our computers and media but we know little about the ways technology can empower us to understand, practice and raise awareness on Human Rights. It´s clear that many webpages – including social media - today ban abusive content; the...

My wish for children in 25 years time is…......

Posted November 18, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

To my knowledge, the major problems that the children of today's world are facing are malnutrition, gender inequality, child labor, child marriage, female genital mutilation, sexual crimes, war/violence, depression, lack of education, drug addiction, lack of emotional security etc. So, if I could make some wishes for children in 25 years time then I would make the following wishes: First of all, I wish that no child fetus will be aborted because of being a girl. I wish that every...