Thank you for stopping by

Published Avatar Shorouq Tarek , .

Avatar .
Shorouq Tarek

Dear happiness, It was never us against the world. It was always me against your absence, me against your pale appearance, me against the world. I remember the day I was told to look for you. I remember the effort I exerted, the battles I got into and the wandering eyes of those who couldn’t understand why I was eager to find you. I remember how many stairs I had to take and the disappointment of never finding you waiting for me at the end of any. I looked for you in the...

What about the refugees

Published Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

The refugee crisis has been dominating the news for quite some time. It is a subject I personally care about thus I wanted to write something on the occasion of World Refugee Day, June 20. While I was trying to figure out what to write I concluded two things: 1. I want to know much about this subject, yet I don’t know anything. 2. I have no clue what the opinions of my friends are. I decided to work with the second point and soon found out that my friends have...

British EXIT

Published Avatar Christos Metaxas , District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament

Avatar District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament
Christos Metaxas

On Thursday, the United Kingdom decided to leave the European Union in an attempt to regain its sovereignty as many Brits suggest that the country has lost the ability to govern itself and is governed by Germany and other EU powers. The vote was 52% in favour of Brexit against 48% in favour of Bremain. For the European readers out there this is a big deal and an ever bigger one for the Brits. Nonetheless, the global financial market has been affected by this decision. I am no p...

The Measles of Mankind

Published Avatar Yaz Kolankaya , Student

Yaz Kolankaya

I recently watched a documentary that explores how different nations tend to formulate their national identities around cultural products, such as songs and tales. “Whose is this Song?” by Adela Peeva is a comparative work about a wandering melody and the numerous nations that stake out claims on the song. The tune in question is known to me as “Üsküdar’a Gider İken.” I used to sing it in my school choir as a little child. Although it is hardly a building block for o...

Hatred in Colombia: How easy it is to hate, how difficult it is to forgive

Published Avatar Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo , Student - Political Science

Avatar Student - Political Science
Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo

In my country, we are taught how to hate from when we are little kids. We have to hate the FARC, the paramilitaries, Uribe (our former president), Santos (our current president), the extreme left, the extreme right, the corruption, Pablo Escobar, the attorney. “They are all bastards” - I heard this so many times. With embarrassment and anger in their faces, my parents had to teach me little by little, about all the injustices that happened, and continue happening, in our countr...

A struggle to get one’s basic right: education

Published Avatar Zainab Asif Dar , Student

Zainab Asif Dar

I was just twelve-years-old, when my cousin visited our place, and upon seeing that I had lost some weight, she commented that now really good marriage proposals would come for me. At that time, I did not realize that what she said was odd because my three elder cousins had got engaged in their teens and I felt that this is how a girl’s life was supposed to be; the sole purpose of a girl’s life was to get engaged to a man belonging to wealthier family than her parents’. W...

Life Lessons

Published no picture Angela Vinot , Student.

no picture Student.
Angela Vinot

Today, I woke up telling myself I’d do what my heart wanted to and that was to write a post so here I’m and I mad with myself for not writing as frequently as I want to. This is something that I really enjoy and I don’t want to let it go. So, after saying that, I’m going to explain you this post. On the 23rd of this month, I turned 17 and a half years old, so that’s why there are 17 and a half reasons, one per year, except the last one since I’m not 18 yet. This made me...

Grey-headed globetrotters on the road

Published no picture Yasmin Youssef

no picture Yasmin Youssef

Last week I had the opportunity to go on a planned round trip by bus through Scotland with my grandmother. While I had already expected the average age to be over 30 I would never have reckoned that it would lie at an impressive 70 years. Obviously I found myself frustrated, awkward, embarrassed and out of place most of the time. When I called my brother hopelessly he just told me: “Hey it is only a few more days … and maybe you should leave your eyes wide open and look if you...

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

Published no picture Richa Gupta , Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine

no picture Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine
Richa Gupta

When I was younger, I used to imagine tripping, only to realise that I had tripped on a sparkling gem. And that gem would lead me to another, and another, which would ultimately lead me to a trove of them—a fictitious cave brimming with glitter and magic. I didn’t know what that gem was… but not gold or any precious stone. I discovered that gem several months ago, but stumbled upon the cave only recently. And that cave is The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, started by John Koe...

VOY across the world