Posted by KristenVOY

Water is...

On World Water Water Day we celebrate clean water! No one can doubt the significance water has t...

Everybody Thirsts

Posted Avatar Leah Davidson , Blogging Intern

Avatar Blogging Intern
Leah Davidson

“Leah, are you ready for your swimming lesson?” My mom’s voice reverberates through the house. I am three years old and water is my best friend on this hot summer afternoon. Each day, I am learning to trust it more – to let it support my weight as I float on the surface, catch me when I jump off the diving board, and push my body to the other side of the pool. Years later, travel takes me around the world – to water in its many different forms. First comes the flight...

Meet the Girl with Curly Hair: An Update and Revision

Posted no picture Noor Samee

no picture Noor Samee

I was born with hair that twists and turns in a battle against gravity: hair that refuses to stay in place. As a kid, my hair and personality matched perfectly. I asked tangled up questions about dinosaurs and weather and the great American Revolution. I read novels that wound up into themselves with no concrete destination. I curled up like a roly poly and somersaulted into green sofas, then spun around so many times even the fancy chairs seemed to dance. But it didn’t las...

Just Another Day

Posted Avatar Monica Angulo , Student, VOY intern

Avatar Student, VOY intern
Monica Angulo

Yesterday, I woke up from the sun rays entering through my window, just like I do every single day. Although my house is quite too small for my mother, my 4 brothers and I, we are all grateful to have a home. I especially like that cozy feeling I get when my mom is inside and making something to eat- even if I only eat a little since there’s not a lot of food. As always, I kissed my mom goodbye before walking out of the house, taking my white bucket with me. With my bare feet t...

Waterless Art

Posted no picture Yifei , Student, VOY intern

no picture Student, VOY intern
Yifei

Water can create. What happens when we don't have water? What other mediums can we explore? Gray chalk Eyes opened, oblong. “He” walked, wary. Birds choked, croaked. Cars smoked, smoke. Factories huffed, happy. “People” faceless, faded. Suspicion brewed, broke. No Water, well… “his hands” held gray pigment, that painted “his lungs”. It became glazed. Ignorance…… Brown acrylic Hands committed crime. T h e y touched tirelessly. G...

Evil Elsa and the Forgotten Gloves

Posted Avatar Khishigjargal Enkhbayar , UN Youth Advisory Panel in Mongolia

Avatar UN Youth Advisory Panel in Mongolia
Khishigjargal Enkhbayar

I forgot my gloves again. It’s too late to go back home because the well is closing in a few minutes and I need to hurry. The weather report that my grandmother was watching before I left said that it was -28 degrees Celsius in Sharhad area of Ulaanbaatar, the place where I live. Even without the weather report I can tell that it’s close to -30 degrees from the way the wind slashes my face again and again. My throat aches from the cold and polluted air. I try to make smoke...

The Daily Pilgrimage

Posted Avatar Katie Baxter , Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern

Avatar Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern
Katie Baxter

Every day, the journey seems longer and longer. Some days it seems I will never make it to the well. The ground has been scorched, like the earth was set on fire from above. The life has drained away. My whole body aches, the soles of my feet feel like they have been worn until there is nothing left. But I do this for my hayat. My saada. Every day, the water is less and less. I must stretch my body further down the well in order to reach relief....

Who am I?

Avatar Student, VOY intern
Monica Angulo

Hello everyone! My name is Monica Victoria Angulo Hernandez, and I’m from Mexico. At this exact moment I’m 18 years, 2 months and 14 days old (no one is counting). I have always lived in Mexico, but by living near the border of the United States I’ve learned English as a second language since I was in kindergarten. Now I’m learning French and hopefully I will learn German or/and Italian in the future. Since I was little, I’ve had the opportunity to travel with my fami...

Catharsis

Posted Avatar Juana S. , Area Coordinator

Avatar Area Coordinator
Juana S.

Fear and distress she had plenty. To this day her heart still aches with grief. A grief that is suppressed, kept, hidden; a kind of pain she chooses to conceal. A kind of sorrow only she knew how to battle and win over. Her pen became her sword and her smile became her armor. This is how she heals. This is how she triumphs. After all, she is her own hero.

A Positive Dent

Khishigjargal Enkhbayar

For millennia, the Mongolian nomads have moved from place to place, leaving their legacy not on large tombs or castles, but in stories and proverbs. One of these proverbs is "First, develop yourself. Then develop your home. After that - develop your nation". It sounds much better in my mother tongue, but this proverb holds all that I am and much more. My priority is to develop myself as much as possible so that I can be an asset to my country. I have been deeply involved in y...

VOY across the world