Stigmatization of Adolescent Eating Disorders

Posted no picture Catherine Coggins

no picture Catherine Coggins

Every 62 minutes, one or more people die from an eating disorder. (ANAD, 1) With a higher mortality rate than any other mental illness, there is an alarming lack of education and compassion in our society towards individuals with eating disorders. Due to a variety of influential factors and the evolution of main stream media, there has been a sharp increase in eating disorders over the past few decades. Although impossible to pinpoint exactly how many people in the United States struggle with ED...

Digital safety

Posted Avatar MischaVOY , Voices of Youth Team

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Yousef Al Herek, 17, Hama, Syrian Arab RepublicNowadays, young people spend most of their time on social media platforms, tweeting and posting on Facebook. Being connected online has become an essential part of our lives – as if we are connected to oxygen masks, something we cannot live without.But with that lifestyle come new fears and doubts. For example, when I shared my first blog post on UNICEF’s Voices of Youth I was hesitant sharing my words with people I’ve ne...

Endless possibilities

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Jack Liddall, 16, Edinburgh, United KingdomIt can be quite difficult to take my mum seriously when she talks about not having the internet, a laptop, flat-screen television, mobile phones. She can remember the days when everyone put coins into slots at a phone booth, wrote letters to pen pals abroad, borrowed encyclopedias from the library to do a school project.Nowadays, at the touch of a button, it is possible to contact a friend on the other side of the world, from...

The digital economy: Advancing the opportunities for youth in Jamaica

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Devonnie Garvey, 19, Ocho Rios, JamaicaThe digital economy is an economy comprised primarily of computing technologies and facilitated by the interconnectivity of the world. Also called the ‘new economy’ or the ‘internet economy’, it is becoming increasingly intertwined with the traditional economy, blurring the line of demarcation.For the youth living in this age, it is a vehicle to limitless economic opportunities that generations before them had no access to.As a 1...

Overexposed and overexaggerated: The unfiltered truth about social media

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Ashley Tan, 17, SingaporeAllow me to let you in on an inner secret my close friends and I share, which we adhere to strictly. This self-invented golden rule goes, “Never check Instagram when you’re having a bad day, because all it’ll do is make you feel worse.”Ostensibly, this statement comes across as harmless and amusing. But behind every sardonic statement lies a deeper, more insidious truth that engenders harmful effects. As teenagers, all of us strive to keep up...

Holistic education in the digital era

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Dennar Gary Alvarez Mejia, 19, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Plurinational State of BoliviaLiving in the twenty-first century, we’re witnessing digital technology permeating all areas of human life. One of them is the field of education. Nowadays at school, it’s common to use digital technologies on a daily basis.In my country, Bolivia – often perceived as a ‘developing’ country – we are witnessing a transition to a digital, community-based and pluralistic pedagogy that ad...

In 20 clicks

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Jenn Little, 16, Bel Air, United States Three clicks and eight keystrokes. That’s how long it takes me to get to Facebook. It takes another four to retweet a post on Twitter and 21 to create a brand new Twitter profile. The human race is living in an unprecedented age of connectivity. According to the International Telecommunication Union, about 48 per cent of the world’s population are using the internet. In the United States, 8 in 10 have access to the internet. W...

Online, my wheelchair is invisible

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Ivan Bakaidov, 18, Saint-Petersburg, Russian FederationNowadays digital technologies are being developed with the speed of optical fiber, changing the lives of millions of people in this world. But especially for children with disabilities, modern technologies play a central role.I am 18 years old and I have cerebral palsy, a physical disability that affects my movement and posture, which is why I am using a wheelchair. The day I received an electronic notepad connect...

The digital divide in Benin

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

This article was written by Emmanuella Ayivi, 15, Cotonou, Benin Thanks to the internet and digital technologies, youth around the world can access information and follow the latest global developments. However, in Benin, a lot of young people and children do not have access to digital technologies and the internet.Young people must purchase data packages on GSM networks that, due to the high demand, don’t cover the whole country properly. Thus, in each street corner you can find an internet caf...

VOY across the world