Published by MischaVOY

VOY Blogging Internship - Applications Now Open!

Hi everyone! Applications for the next round of Voices of Youth blogging internships are now o...

On Not Loving Mom and Dad

Published no picture Lam Ngô

no picture Lam Ngô

“Oh of course, you do.” “You’re just mad right now.” “You’ll feel bad for saying that later.” “I bet you don’t even think about the things they do for you.” Why? Why is loving our parents a fundamental requirement? Why is our love for them obligatory? Why does it have to be unconditional? If parents are only human, then should they not be judged with the same meter used for others? We hear stories of kids who get beaten, who are raped and star...

Why I'm Involved in the Movement for Climate Justice

Published no picture Will DiGravio , President at StudentsForClimate.org

no picture President at StudentsForClimate.org
Will DiGravio

Recently, I was asked: Why have you been engaged in the movement for climate justice? Until now, it’s a question that I had never truly contemplated in my time as a climate activist. My work in the movement has always been focused on climate education and advocacy. While in high school, I came to the realization that climate change was very much absent from the science curriculum, and I began teaching classes to elementary, middle, and high school students in my community, in a...

Mental Health of Traumatized Children

Published Avatar Michelle Asim , Human Rights Activist

Avatar Human Rights Activist
Michelle Asim

Mental health. The type of health that unfortunately does not get as much attention it should in modern society. Several children suffer from unstable mental health on a global scale ranging from general anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder to severe depression. Mental health support should be available to anyone, anytime, anywhere. No one should be afraid to reach out for help. Everyone should at least have one professional who can assist them when needed. There...

Syrian Civil War: Aleppo Is Burning

Published Avatar Zeyneb Ahmed Chughtai , Student

Zeyneb Ahmed Chughtai

Aleppo is the largest city in Syria and it is one of the largest cities in the Levant. For centuries, after Constantinople and Cairo, Aleppo was the Ottoman Empire’s third largest city. Aleppo is one of the oldest inhabited cities of the world and it was inhabited since 6th millennium BC. Since April 18, at least 212 civilians have been killed including 57 children. "Aleppo is burning" in Arabic language is trending on Twitter and Facebook as well. From the fighting of rebels a...

50 Years After the War on Poverty

Published no picture Caroline Smerdon , Student

Caroline Smerdon
https://southinpopculture.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/inezkyfletcher.jpg

“Unfortunately, many Americans live on the outskirts of hope--some because of their poverty, and some because of their color, and all too many because of both. Our task is to help replace their despair with opportunity. This administration today, here and now, declares unconditional war on poverty in America. I urge this Congress and all Americans to join with me in that effort. It will not be a short or easy struggle, no single weapon or strategy will suffice, but we shall not r...

BELOVED MOTHER (POEM)

Published Avatar priya verma

Avatar priya verma

From the heart, comes these warm thoughts To tell you how special you are From the heart, comes the love that you deserve For all that you do This comes with special thought of you And all your caring ways And with such happy memories of other times And days It comes with hopes and wishes for today And always But most of all this wish comes with love to you That's why I thank the Lord Because my mom is a true gift of God. *************** By...

No water, no life

Published no picture natilinares8 , no water, no life

no picture no water, no life
natilinares8

Water is the most valuable resource that is upon the earth, is vital and essential to plants, animals, human beings and all life forms of the planet; thus playing, a significant role in the development of the life. It is a natural resource that despite being renewable must be caring and protected by mankind, because humans are the main source of pollution and depletion of this one. It is considered an essential part of human rights because it is indispensable to life, wealth an...

Coincidence or not?

Published Avatar Crisanta , Student

Crisanta

This is a post about the connection we feel with people, with friends. Distance doesn't matter when you have a connection with someone – a friendship. Don't take people for granted, people are not there forever so make sure you appreciate them. People, things, events – nothing is a coincidence in life, everything happens for a reason. We don't meet people by accident. With some people we have a connection, a connection we can't understand or explain. Some people are meant...

Cultural Exchange: Diminishing the Barriers

Published Avatar Narmeen.H , PUAN member

Avatar PUAN member
Narmeen.H

I am a common Pakistani girl but my life, thoughts, perceptions were changed the day I landed in the United States of America. Two years ago, I got an opportunity to visit the US via a cultural exchange program for six months. I will always thank my Allah and then Department of States, to give me such a great path to discover the world, its people and their culture. Before this wonderful experience, I bore stereotypes about Americans just like every country has for others. It was t...

VOY across the world