VOY Inspire : Young Hero Priya Verma

تم نشرها
RENU, MRS

عضو منذ ١٢ أغسطس، ٢٠١٦
  • 1 المشاركة

Photo of Young Hero 
PRIYA VERMA

Photo of Young Hero PRIYA VERMA

I am Renu. I had the opportunity to interview Ms. Priya Verma the famous young innovator and environmentalist of India. The interview is given below.

Hello Priya, how are you?

I am fine.

You are an innovator. Tell us about you and your innovation on which you are working for water conservation?

I am Priya Verma (24 Years) an innovator, accredited writer and a young environmentalist.

My pioneer work is on the conservation and preservation of precious water in the world.

Conservation and preservation of water is very essential for the existence of life on earth. Underground water is one of the key earth resources. Due to excessive use of water for agricultural, commercial and domestic use the world water table is going down at an alarming rate and it has a bad impact on our ecology and food production. Keeping in view of the gravity of the situation, I have innovated useful technologies of rainwater harvesting to increase the underground water resources that are useful to the entire world. The Government of India, UNEP and other organizations worldwide have recognized the techniques highlighted in my project “Increasing Underground Water Resources”. Some of the eco-friendly techniques include the Funnel System, Polythene cover System, Less Water for Plants-Growing in sand, gravel, liquid without adding soil, Pits/ recharge well system, etc. These techniques/ideas are universally applicable, globally novel, cost effective, eco-friendly, and utilitarian.

I have been working on the project since 2006 and highlighted the devastating impact of the decreasing level of underground water and succeeded in bringing this burning issue to the public notice. Funnel systems and polythene systems are the best systems in the world to increase the underground resources and which can also be used in rooftops, buildings, hilly and plain places. The unused/idle bore wells and tube wells can be easily used with the funnel system to conserve water during rainy season and people are using it and saving thousands of liters of water during rainy season.

The other method is the Less or no water for growing Plants-Growing plants in sand, gravel, liquid without adding soil system. This method is useful where water is not available due to shortage of rainfall and no other source of water is available in deserts, hilly areas to grow plants, trees and food grains. This method is useful even in space explorations as you can grow plants and food in space where water is not available to grow plants and food grains.

My efforts have improved the water conservation and preservation in Kerala, Odisha, Delhi and other Indian states and the world. This project has been displayed in the International Project Gallery-2007 by the UNEP (Volvo adventure) at Goteborg, Sweden. Many countries like Kenya and Singapore, UK, Canada, USA and Australia have also appreciated and adopted my innovative project for the conservation and preservation of precious water.

The project has been posted in the websites of www.cywe.org, takingitglobal.org, campaign central UK, gysd.org, wecaninternational.org, smg.org, simpol.org, travel2change.org among others. My appeal is for the people/countries to adopt these useful techniques to save water for the future generations and to save the environment and life on the earth. I am also involved in projects/campaigns like the Environment is everybody’s responsibility, Generate energy, preserving soil, Generate energy from waste, save trees, save water campaign and many more.

Tell us about your CYWE network and its objectives?

I am the founder of non-profit CYWE network. My website cywe.org is working for the conservation of natural resources and bringing awareness among people. This site that serves, teaches and inspires youth on global issues and support and recognize the efforts of the students across the globe who are working at the grass root level to protect and preserve the environment. Also to support and create awareness to achieve the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) to eradicate poverty and hunger, universal education, gender equality, child and women health, combat diseases like HIV/Aids, environmental sustainability and protection of natural resources, global partnership for helping change the world for better. The mission of the CYWE network and quote is “Inspiring youths to create change". The mission of my network is to engage young people as active citizens who improve the environment and protection of natural resources in their communities. People have liked my work/website and ranked as most popular website.

You are involved with other organizations. Please tell us your volunteering work?

I am a member of the United Nations Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals and a member advisor of many international organizations. I am the Alumni Youth Council member of Youth Services America, the Global Advisor of TakingITGlobal, Conrad foundation USA, dosomething.org, NSHSS USA, NCES Canada, Presidential Youth Council USA, Associations of British Scholars, World Pulse, Voices of Youth UNICEF, British councils and working on service learning projects, environmental issues, conservation and preservation of natural resources, climate change, eradication of hunger and poverty digital mapping, youth empowerment, youth policies, development issues, child and women power and conducted lectures, seminars in school and colleges, local communities, British councils, ABS and other organizations and created awareness on water conservation, climate change and global issues among the masses and received worldwide appreciation and many international awards to my work. I am the recipient of 2015 Commonwealth Youth award in excellence for development work from Caribbean and Americas region. Besides this I am selected as a Young achiever of Commonwealth.

I am also a member of other organizations including the GenerationON, United Teens USA, NSCS USA, Travel2 Change, Campaign Central, the Association of British Scholars, Golden Key International Society Canada ,and Commonwealth Canada , IGGY University of Warwick UK and Canada World Youth among others.

You are an accredited writer of Newspapers and Magazines. Tell us about your work?

Writing is my passion. I began to write when I was six years old and in school. As a writer, I have penned more than 1500 articles on youth, women, environmental and other burning issues of the society published in print and media and created awareness among the masses. I am an online writer, reporter and journalist for newspapers and blogs such as; AYJW, World Pulse, Voices ofYyouth, British councils, NSHSS, AllVoices, World Bank, youTHink, the UN, Commonwealth, cywe.org and UNICEF among others and transformed the society with my writings.

You have received many international awards to your outstanding work in such a small age. Tell us something about it.

I am Recipient of the Diana Award from Mr. Gordon Brown the Hon” Prime Minister of UK in 2009, National Youth Award from the Government of India, Every Day Hero Award from Youth Services America and United Nations Outstanding Youth Achiever Recognition International Award 2010, Golden Key Community Service Award 2011 from Canada, SBN International Youth Award 2012 from Australia as a leader and innovator, TakingITGlobal Canada appreciation, Commonwealth Youth Award in excellence in development work 2015, The World Pulse Community Leadership Award 2015 as a Vocal Contributor, Dewey Winburne Community Service Award. Scotia Bank, Canada, Bright future Young Leaders International Award 2016 in the field of volunteering, leadership, environmental protection and community service from Canada and many other state, national and international awards for my work.

What message you would like to give to the youth?

I am strong supporter of youth power and women empowerment. I want to tell the youth to study well, excel in their field of choice, protect environment, conserve and preserve natural resources and work for the betterment of the world.