The Age Of Curation

Posted Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada

I'm scrolling down my Facebook News Feed. I have 1,566 friends on Facebook (most of whom I should ideally unfriend), so why do I see the same faces everyday? Are the others not as active? Or is there something else at play? Do you ever wonder the same? A TEDx talk I listened to in 2015 began like this: "What if I told you, that the world we live in, is something that is constructed for us, not something that is constructed by us." While the speaker set the stage for a much...

Inspire. Empower.

Posted Avatar Ximena_C_ , Activist

Avatar Activist
Ximena_C_

Do you want to be a leader? Do you have a passion? Do you want to make a difference in this world? If you answered yes to this questions, you and I already have few things in common. My name is Ximena Coronado, I'm 15 years old, and I'm an environmental activist. It all truly began when I created a petition on Care2 in June 2016 which was aimed to help the environment. I've had to change it often since I continued to do extensive research on the topic, which was over "styrofoam...

Whatever happened to living in the moment?

Posted no picture anon , What ever happened to living in the moment

no picture What ever happened to living in the moment
anon

Perfection is seen nowadays as the perfect Instagram ‘’flow’’ or the perfect life everyone in society desires through pictures. The expectation that social media has created for men and women to be perfect through images is absurd. Whatever happened to living in the moment? Everything has to be posted, and at times people go out of their way to go on adventures just so they can post about it on Instagram, rather than enjoying life in the present moment or focusing on more...

Social Media and Our Youth

Posted no picture lol

Running around the neighbourhood until it was dark, playing in mud, making cubbies in the bushes, why did it all of a sudden stop being a childhood? Social media and the advance of technology is the biggest culprit to the innocence of youth being ripped from them, like it was nothing. Growing up in a world where social media runs society children have advanced technology that we didn’t have 10 years ago, it should come as no surprise that children are growing up quicker and expon...

End Cyber-bullying and Change the World Today

Posted Avatar Ashley T.

Avatar Ashley T.

Sometimes, we can’t help but view the world as a dark, cruel place. It seems depraved and unforgiving, as if all forms of kindness and acceptance have been lost. More than 3 billion people around the world are now using the Internet, and ostensibly, this increased access to connectivity and nodes of communication is something that should be celebrated. However, it is indisputable that everything comes with a price. With the advent of social media, an increasing number of youths...

Today's Apocalypse

Posted Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

If you haven’t noticed, zombies have grown in popularity in the last decade. The enigma and horror behind the walking dead seems to entrance many, proof being the wide range of video games and movies that center around zombies, or more specifically, a zombie apocalypse. I am by no means a fan of zombies or anything in that genre, but nonetheless, here I am with a seemingly irrelevant post concerning zombies. Being a teenager, I see and hear things that have to do with zom...

Disconnected

Posted Avatar Yaz Kolankaya , Student

Yaz Kolankaya

I often find myself watching old movies, or period dramas, reading books that are set in the 18th and 19th centuries, asking my grandparents to tell me about their love story over and over again… I also seem to have lost faith in love. Only recently did I understand why: I am trying to find love in another century. In this era of technology and communication, I feel rather disconnected. Sure, technology is great with all its perks like speed and interconnectedness, but on a more...

What rights do children have?

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY
https://rerights.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SpecialOp_Susie_A3size-for-posting.png

In case you didn't know, all human beings have rights. But there are also special rights for children (anyone under 18) that are all spelled out in the Convention on the Rights of the Child. A few months ago, our friends at ReRights challenged their 'agents' with designing a poster about the Convention on the Rights of the Child...and they have picked a winner. The designer of the poster, Susie Williams, had this to say: “The rights of a child are extremely important and I...

Everyone's connected, but no one is connecting.

Posted Avatar PrachiGupta , Student

PrachiGupta

Sure we have a thousand friends on Facebook, five-hundred followers on Instagram and we are really happy about it, aren’t we? Gone are those days where people had a real conversation with each other. We all know what is happening in each other lives by seeing our wonderful stories on Snapchat, but do we really know beyond that? The other side? Sitting with a group of your closest friends and still fiddling with your phone doesn’t even make you wonder about how much you...