What rights do children have?

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY
https://rerights.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SpecialOp_Susie_A3size-for-posting.png

In case you didn't know, all human beings have rights. But there are also special rights for children (anyone under 18) that are all spelled out in the Convention on the Rights of the Child. A few months ago, our friends at ReRights challenged their 'agents' with designing a poster about the Convention on the Rights of the Child...and they have picked a winner. The designer of the poster, Susie Williams, had this to say: “The rights of a child are extremely important and I...

Everyone's connected, but no one is connecting.

Published Avatar PrachiGupta , Student

PrachiGupta

Sure we have a thousand friends on Facebook, five-hundred followers on Instagram and we are really happy about it, aren’t we? Gone are those days where people had a real conversation with each other. We all know what is happening in each other lives by seeing our wonderful stories on Snapchat, but do we really know beyond that? The other side? Sitting with a group of your closest friends and still fiddling with your phone doesn’t even make you wonder about how much you...

Nomophobia

Published no picture SALONEEE , blogger

no picture blogger
SALONEEE

We are living in a smart world where people feel more naked without their phone than they do with any of their clothes. This short poem tells about how a person struggles to live without a mobile phone. Empty hands were stared by my eyes Couldn’t get what was missing in my life. Struggling I thought to wake from my bed. But a vibrating sensation was buzzing in my head. Somehow I decide to have to walk on the street There I found people having a problem just like me....

Your rights in the digital age

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Are you between 12-18 years old? If so, we invite you to join us in an exciting new initiative! A global action research project interested in children and young people’s views on their rights in the digital age! The internet is just over 25 years old, and so is the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Our world has changed a lot since then. How do you use technology? Has technology impacted on your rights? This is what RErights.org wants to find out! T...

Internet Safety : An African Child's Perspective

Published Avatar Kearoma Mosata , student

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

Growing up there never really was any big fuss over technology and innovation. I used a computer to play pinball and minesweeper. On rare days where our stone age type computer had internet I would use it to Google dolls and pictures of the Eiffel Tower. It never really had any great impact on my upbringing. Yes, it excited me but I was not aware of it to a point where I would sacrifice playing house with my friends for sitting in front of the computer. Things have changed...

I Hope This Will Make You Look Away From Your Screen

Published no picture Anjali Akula

no picture Anjali Akula

“The one thing that’s changed everything” That is Apple’s motto on their commercials for the recent release of the iPhone 6S. When you first hear this, it sounds preposterous, but think about it for a second. Mentally revisit the 20th century; how different was life then? Because of the smartphone, the difference in our first-world society is astounding. Taking banal concepts such as communication, reading, listening to music, playing games, keeping track of everyday...

Cyberbullying: In The Depth Of The Virtual World.

Published Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui , Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist

Avatar Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist
Imen Al-Nighaoui

Sharing your ideas and thoughts with people from around the globe is one of the main purposes of social media. These virtual tools of communication have changed the course of history many times during the last few years. I, for instance, was able to communicate with many people from around the world. I have also had the privilege of making new friends with different people from different backgrounds. Through social media, I’ve been able to share my dreams with others who believe...

The Future Leaders emerge Strong and Powerful.

Published no picture Ruvindra Sathsarani , Undergraduate of English, blogger and freelance writer

no picture Undergraduate of English, blogger and freelance writer
Ruvindra Sathsarani

The youth have the power to immerse themselves in the ongoing events in the world. They are enthusiastic and vigilant. For the past few years, there was a dramatic change in youth voices, especially in Asia. Along with quick ability to grasp technological knowledge, the young voices bring out issues in the society while cynically looking down upon most of those incidents which reflect faults of authorities. This beginning of a new era where the youth has mastered a skill to look at...

Hello, my name is Stephanie. I am an exchange student from the United States currently studying in Bilbao, Spain. I am taking a class called Global Communications in the Age of Social Media. My final assignment is to build a research project about how young people use social media and the traditional media as well as how free they feel to speak in a specific in a specific area of the world. I would like to ask a few questions about living in Australia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea...