Whatever happened to living in the moment?

Posted no picture anon , What ever happened to living in the moment

no picture What ever happened to living in the moment
anon

Perfection is seen nowadays as the perfect Instagram ‘’flow’’ or the perfect life everyone in society desires through pictures. The expectation that social media has created for men and women to be perfect through images is absurd. Whatever happened to living in the moment? Everything has to be posted, and at times people go out of their way to go on adventures just so they can post about it on Instagram, rather than enjoying life in the present moment or focusing on more...

Social Media and Our Youth

Posted no picture lol

Running around the neighbourhood until it was dark, playing in mud, making cubbies in the bushes, why did it all of a sudden stop being a childhood? Social media and the advance of technology is the biggest culprit to the innocence of youth being ripped from them, like it was nothing. Growing up in a world where social media runs society children have advanced technology that we didn’t have 10 years ago, it should come as no surprise that children are growing up quicker and expon...

End Cyber-bullying and Change the World Today

Posted Avatar Ashley T.

Avatar Ashley T.

Sometimes, we can’t help but view the world as a dark, cruel place. It seems depraved and unforgiving, as if all forms of kindness and acceptance have been lost. More than 3 billion people around the world are now using the Internet, and ostensibly, this increased access to connectivity and nodes of communication is something that should be celebrated. However, it is indisputable that everything comes with a price. With the advent of social media, an increasing number of youths...

Today's Apocalypse

Posted Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

If you haven’t noticed, zombies have grown in popularity in the last decade. The enigma and horror behind the walking dead seems to entrance many, proof being the wide range of video games and movies that center around zombies, or more specifically, a zombie apocalypse. I am by no means a fan of zombies or anything in that genre, but nonetheless, here I am with a seemingly irrelevant post concerning zombies. Being a teenager, I see and hear things that have to do with zom...

Disconnected

Posted Avatar Yaz Kolankaya , Student

Yaz Kolankaya

I often find myself watching old movies, or period dramas, reading books that are set in the 18th and 19th centuries, asking my grandparents to tell me about their love story over and over again… I also seem to have lost faith in love. Only recently did I understand why: I am trying to find love in another century. In this era of technology and communication, I feel rather disconnected. Sure, technology is great with all its perks like speed and interconnectedness, but on a more...

What rights do children have?

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY
https://rerights.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SpecialOp_Susie_A3size-for-posting.png

In case you didn't know, all human beings have rights. But there are also special rights for children (anyone under 18) that are all spelled out in the Convention on the Rights of the Child. A few months ago, our friends at ReRights challenged their 'agents' with designing a poster about the Convention on the Rights of the Child...and they have picked a winner. The designer of the poster, Susie Williams, had this to say: “The rights of a child are extremely important and I...

Everyone's connected, but no one is connecting.

Posted Avatar PrachiGupta , Student

PrachiGupta

Sure we have a thousand friends on Facebook, five-hundred followers on Instagram and we are really happy about it, aren’t we? Gone are those days where people had a real conversation with each other. We all know what is happening in each other lives by seeing our wonderful stories on Snapchat, but do we really know beyond that? The other side? Sitting with a group of your closest friends and still fiddling with your phone doesn’t even make you wonder about how much you...

Nomophobia

Posted no picture SALONEEE , blogger

no picture blogger
SALONEEE

We are living in a smart world where people feel more naked without their phone than they do with any of their clothes. This short poem tells about how a person struggles to live without a mobile phone. Empty hands were stared by my eyes Couldn’t get what was missing in my life. Struggling I thought to wake from my bed. But a vibrating sensation was buzzing in my head. Somehow I decide to have to walk on the street There I found people having a problem just like me....

Your rights in the digital age

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Are you between 12-18 years old? If so, we invite you to join us in an exciting new initiative! A global action research project interested in children and young people’s views on their rights in the digital age! The internet is just over 25 years old, and so is the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Our world has changed a lot since then. How do you use technology? Has technology impacted on your rights? This is what RErights.org wants to find out! T...