Today I’ve chosen to write to you about technology, as it has been around us for some time already and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to fade away, even the contrary: continuous development is taking place. I would like to talk to you about the Internet of Things (IoT). It sounds like a network, most like the internet but with some extra features. Well, IoT is here and it is gaining its place in our lives, or in the lives of some of us. IoT is, indeed, more complex than...

Research Project: Rights of the Child for the Digital Age

Posted July 9, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Something pretty important is happening on the 12th of September this year. The UN Committee for the Rights of the Child will meet in Geneva to discuss updating the Convention for the Rights of the Child for a digital age. The world has certainly changed a lot since the 1980′s, the decade throughout which the convention was first drafted! To assist the Committee in their deliberations, and to ensure that young people’s experiences can directly inform their discussion, we are curr...

Young People and the Internet

Posted July 1, 2014 no picture Kesia_Connect_Zambia

no picture Kesia_Connect_Zambia View Profile

My name is Kesia and I am 18 years old from Zambia. The internet - which includes Facebook, Google, twitter - plays the big part in the average youths everyday life. The internet has been received with many different opinions. Some have welcomed it with open arms but in some extreme cases it is declared evil. A wise man once said "a knife in the hands of a chef can be used to prepare a meal but the same knife in the hands of the murderer will be used to take a life." This saying...

Call for Submissions: Digitally Connect With Us!

Posted July 1, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

We all know that the Internet, digital media, and social networks have changed the way we learn, interact, and create change. Now it’s time for you(th) to set the conversation and share their experiences. The Youth and Media Team at theBerkman Center for Internet & Society and Voices of Youth are creating a forum for youth to get their voices heard about their online experience. The best creative pieces (essays, drawings, paintings, collages, infographics, comi...

STOP BULLYING!!!

Posted June 27, 2014 no picture Sarah Grace

no picture Sarah Grace View Profile

Hey everyone! I'm Grace and im new here. I am 13 years old and turning 14 this August. I am from Indonesia. Well I hate bullying so much. Why should they do that? What's the purpose of it? To try and be popular? Seriously guys?! Do you have another positive thing to make you famous at school or wherever you are? And you guys who get bullied or whatever someone did to you, i have some suggestions for you all. You need to: -Believe in God : I'm sorry, I am Christian so I beli...

Facebook in the coming years: A fraud in political change and regime identity

Posted June 3, 2014 Avatar Aicha Enriquez

Avatar Aicha Enriquez View Profile

Facebook in a nutshell Facebook started in the United States as a medium for some college kids to stay in touch after leaving campus. Since then, it has evolved and became one of the largest social networks in the world. An extensive, sprawling network, Facebook has managed to reach every household and every pocket. Established in 2004 from Mark Zuckerberg's dorm room in Harvard, this popular social networking site is now worth billions of dollars and is considered as one of...

A glimpse into Digitally Connected - from PressPass TV

Posted May 28, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

At the end of April, a really exciting event took place in Boston in the US - the Digitally Connected symposium. Experts and innovators from all around the world came together and spent two-and-a-half days discussing the importance of digital in the lives of children and youth today. They shared knowledge about the research and projects that they have been working on, and discussed how they can collaborate better, to make digital tools even more effective for children. The symp...

Cyberbullying: all you need to know on VOY

Posted April 3, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In case you've missed them over the months, we have some great resources on cyberbullying and online safety here on VOY: -Tips & hints -Videos -Research Remember - when you post online you post to the world.

How would you raise awareness?

Posted February 13, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The UNICEF Convention on the Rights of the Child supports the protection of the child's "privacy, family, or correspondence" as well as protection from "unlawful attacks on his or her honor and reputation." Can we have a better internet for all? After watching this clip, we might be disturbed at how others treat and respond to the girl. What are some ways you could creatively raise awareness about self-exposure, bullying, and how to use social media online?