Cyberbullying: all you need to know on VOY

Posted April 3, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In case you've missed them over the months, we have some great resources on cyberbullying and online safety here on VOY: -Tips & hints -Videos -Research Remember - when you post online you post to the world.

How would you raise awareness?

Posted February 13, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The UNICEF Convention on the Rights of the Child supports the protection of the child's "privacy, family, or correspondence" as well as protection from "unlawful attacks on his or her honor and reputation." Can we have a better internet for all? After watching this clip, we might be disturbed at how others treat and respond to the girl. What are some ways you could creatively raise awareness about self-exposure, bullying, and how to use social media online?

Self Exposure: Shared & Gone Viral

Posted February 12, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

Social media and the internet allows us to share videos, music, information, and photos. We can share these with hundreds, thousands, and sometimes millions of people- without us even knowing. Sometimes when you share with someone you trust, they may break that trust and share it others. What you would do? - Have you ever shared a photo online, like this girl in the video? - Based on your own experiences, is this an issue in your community? - Let's choose a different...

Does social media and mobile phones enable cyberbullying?

Posted February 11, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The internet provides us with so many opportunities to socialize, entertain ourselves and learn; but there is also an unpleasant side. In recent years more and more people have been paying attention to the issue of ‘cyberbullying’ – which is bullying that takes place using digital tools like mobile phones and computers. What do you think... 1. Do you think that social media and the use of mobile phones is making it easier for young people to bully one another?...

Creating a better internet for all

Posted February 10, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In September of last year Voices of Youth joined the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at the BYND2015 Global Youth Summit in Costa Rica to promote online safety and responsible internet use among children and young people. As part of the session on online safety, entitled 'Be Smart, Be Safe' a competition was launched asking young people to develop a concept for an awareness-raising video. The winning concept - shown in this video - was designed by Rebeca Mariño Ov...

And the winner is.....

Posted November 13, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UNICEF, Voices of Youth and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) are proud to announce that winner of the 2013 BYND2015 Global Youth Summit 'Be Smart Be Safe' video contest is Rebeca Mariño Oviedo from Costa Rica. Rebeca's video concept shows how young people can make the right choices when the use the internet and social media, by thinking through the possible outcomes that an action could lead too. It captures the important message that empowering children and youn...

What should companies do to make the internet safe for children?

Posted December 4, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

We need your comments! Online safety has been a big topic this year on Voices of Youth - we've spoken to youth all around the world about it at events like the #BYND2015 summit in Costa Rica, and we've published several research reports about it. Earlier this year UNICEF and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) started working on a revised set of guidelines for the ICT/digital industry on how best to protect children's rights in the ICT/digital sphere. These g...

Are we all iDiots?

Posted December 3, 2013 no picture

This short film raises some interesting questions on the current expansion of digital media, and our insatiate hunger and dependency for new technology and information. Is our happiness ultimately based on things we don’t need and governed by entities we don’t control?

How do young South Africans deal with online risks?

Posted December 3, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Four in five children in South Africa have access to a mobile phone, and almost half of them use mobile phones to access the internet. However, the opportunities presented by this access are often over-shadowed by the possibility for harm and online violence, as well as offline danger that result from online engagement. According to a study released last week Connected Dot Com: Young People’s Navigation of Online Risks undertaken by the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention...