Talking about Mankind

Published no picture Nicky Mankind , Young Persons Engagement Worker - Mankind

no picture Young Persons Engagement Worker - Mankind
Nicky Mankind

My name is Nicky and earlier this year I started working for a charity called Mankind. In my previous job I was working with lots of girls who had been affected by, or who were at risk of, being sexually exploited. I then started working with some young men who I was very concerned about as their behaviour suggested that they too were being sexually exploited. I shared my concerns with many professionals and was shocked by the different responses I received. It became clear that pe...

On the 28th of March 2015, Nigeria held its Presidential Elections. The elections served as a test for the fledgling democracy which the country has built over the years. Contrary to expectations, the elections were free, fair, devoid of wrangling. The opposition party held sway and gained the upper hand it the polls. The opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) also took the majority of the Senate seats and enjoyed wide support and acceptance from the populace. It was also...

Do you suffer from Disconnect Anxiety?

Published Avatar Nala Cheng

Avatar Nala Cheng

Hi, I'm Nala Cheng, a high school student from Taiwan. This is my very first post on this website, so if there's anything that's not good enough, please feel free to tell me! For this very first post, I'd like to talk about Disconnect Anxiety. Do you suffer from Disconnect Anxiety? Disconnect anxiety is a feeling of discomfort that occurs when a heavy smartphone user can not access the online world. In the modern society, millions of people are now suffering from it. Here in...

The Brighter Side of Social Media

Published no picture Sarah

no picture Sarah

These days with technology, many people come quick to criticize the use of social media, saying that it provokes social pressure to fit in. Many also argue that social media distracts people from being productive, resulting to a less productive generation. While these problems do exist within our generation, it is important to note that they aren't always present 100% of the time. In fact, social media is the cause to good things too. Take the Egyptian Revolution as an example. Egypt back at 20...

INTERNET SAFETY AND PROTECTION

Published no picture Gabriel

no picture Gabriel

The Internet can be a wonderful resource for children. They can use it to research school reports, communicate with teachers and other kids, and play interactive games. Children who are old enough to punch in a few letters on the keyboard can literally access the world - but that access can also pose hazards. When it comes to protecting children’s rights online, businesses must collaborate with other actors including governments, parents and policy makers, to take the necessary...

http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6

DOWNLOAD How do children see their rights affected by digital media and tools? In July and August 2014, 148 children in 16 countries took part in workshops to discuss the opportunities and risks associated with digital media; these discussions – and the voices of the child participants of the workshops – are reflected in this report. Findings were presented at the Day of General Discussion, a meeting focusing on digital media and child rights that was convened by the Co...

#Read2Riches: Social Media & Reading Culture

Published no picture Fasoranti Damilola

no picture Fasoranti Damilola

As we scan for the latest gists on Social Media with our handy gadgets, today's youths are beginning to think towards climbing the seat of power, making their voices heard, reinventing the wheel of tradition and getting enlisted among world heroes via Social Media. Social Media is definitely marking its footprint on the productive years of the young people and adults alike. Teachers, educators and parents daily express their concerns as technology and Social Media seems to be t...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Published no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You can even chat with someone who is on the other side of the globe as though you were in the same room. All this is possible because of social media. Social media is an essential tool in the work that we do as advocates for change and if anything voices of youth is a social networking site. Not long ago I had the privilege of attending the Zambia Children’s Climate Conference 7 and one of the things we talked a...

Digital Media & Child Rights - 2014 Day of General Discussion

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

How many children around the world use the internet and mobile phones? How are children using social media? What are the risks to children using digital tools? What are the opportunities for improving access to information and education? The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child tells the world the rights that ALL children have. But the Convention came about in 1989 - long before the internet became available to everyone; long before nearly everyone had a mobile phon...