Internet Safety : An African Child's Perspective

Posted Avatar Kearoma Mosata , student

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

Growing up there never really was any big fuss over technology and innovation. I used a computer to play pinball and minesweeper. On rare days where our stone age type computer had internet I would use it to Google dolls and pictures of the Eiffel Tower. It never really had any great impact on my upbringing. Yes, it excited me but I was not aware of it to a point where I would sacrifice playing house with my friends for sitting in front of the computer. Things have changed...

I Hope This Will Make You Look Away From Your Screen

Posted no picture Anjali Akula

no picture Anjali Akula

“The one thing that’s changed everything” That is Apple’s motto on their commercials for the recent release of the iPhone 6S. When you first hear this, it sounds preposterous, but think about it for a second. Mentally revisit the 20th century; how different was life then? Because of the smartphone, the difference in our first-world society is astounding. Taking banal concepts such as communication, reading, listening to music, playing games, keeping track of everyday...

Cyberbullying: In The Depth Of The Virtual World.

Posted Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui , Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist

Avatar Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist
Imen Al-Nighaoui

Sharing your ideas and thoughts with people from around the globe is one of the main purposes of social media. These virtual tools of communication have changed the course of history many times during the last few years. I, for instance, was able to communicate with many people from around the world. I have also had the privilege of making new friends with different people from different backgrounds. Through social media, I’ve been able to share my dreams with others who believe...

The Future Leaders emerge Strong and Powerful.

Posted no picture Ruvindra Sathsarani , Undergraduate of English, blogger and freelance writer

no picture Undergraduate of English, blogger and freelance writer
Ruvindra Sathsarani

The youth have the power to immerse themselves in the ongoing events in the world. They are enthusiastic and vigilant. For the past few years, there was a dramatic change in youth voices, especially in Asia. Along with quick ability to grasp technological knowledge, the young voices bring out issues in the society while cynically looking down upon most of those incidents which reflect faults of authorities. This beginning of a new era where the youth has mastered a skill to look at...

Hello, my name is Stephanie. I am an exchange student from the United States currently studying in Bilbao, Spain. I am taking a class called Global Communications in the Age of Social Media. My final assignment is to build a research project about how young people use social media and the traditional media as well as how free they feel to speak in a specific in a specific area of the world. I would like to ask a few questions about living in Australia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea...

Get inspired by these youth innovators from Sierra Leone & Kosovo

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member

On the 9th and 10th of November, UNICEF together with the Government of Finland hosted a really awesome summit all about innovation for children and young people. During the summit, I was lucky to attend a session where a group of young innovators told us about their projects. So I asked them to share some of their thoughts with us on what inspires them and why innovation is important. From Sierra Leone, meet Jasonta (18), Oswald (24) and Vandy (20)…and from Kosovo, Diona (18...

10 things everyone should know about using the internet

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member

1. Respect what other people are saying on social media, even if you do not agree with them. 2. You have the right to privacy - and so do others. It is not okay to log into other people’s accounts or to use their phones or profiles without their permission. 3. Don’t spread rumors or post/share hurtful or embarrassing stories or photos.Things that may seem funny can hurt someone. 4. Think twice before you click ‘send’ - especially if you’re upset or angry. Once you...

Social Media Black Hole

Posted no picture Flora Dan Hua

no picture Flora Dan Hua

Especially in this day and age, it is so easy for young people to lose themselves in the technological dilemma and social media frenzy. There is no denying that young people are so incredibly vulnerable and prone to the influences of society, whether it be technology, media, global trends etc. And amidst the filters, editing and photo-shopping of people, places and events, we often forget to distinguish between what is a version of ‘truth’ and what is in actuality, fact. Le...

The 21st Century Monster (FYI: also a great name for a band)

Posted no picture Oliver VOY , Student

Oliver VOY

Being a teenager in today's society is arguably harder than it's ever been before. Amidst the usual and normal pangs of adolescent angst, hormone-driven heartbreak, and the arduous and timeless journey of self-discovery lies a new monster, unique to our time. This monster is not hiding under your bed waiting for the lights to go out; it's not in your closet biding his time; it's not lurking in the depths of Loch Ness (#nessieisjustcamerashy). No, the leviathan of which I speak we...