Call for Submissions: Digitally Connect With Us!

Published Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY

We all know that the Internet, digital media, and social networks have changed the way we learn, interact, and create change. Now it’s time for you(th) to set the conversation and share their experiences. The Youth and Media Team at theBerkman Center for Internet & Society and Voices of Youth are creating a forum for youth to get their voices heard about their online experience. The best creative pieces (essays, drawings, paintings, collages, infographics, comi...

Young People and the Internet

Published no picture Kesia_Connect_Zambia

no picture Kesia_Connect_Zambia

My name is Kesia and I am 18 years old from Zambia. The internet - which includes Facebook, Google, twitter - plays the big part in the average youths everyday life. The internet has been received with many different opinions. Some have welcomed it with open arms but in some extreme cases it is declared evil. A wise man once said "a knife in the hands of a chef can be used to prepare a meal but the same knife in the hands of the murderer will be used to take a life." This saying...

STOP BULLYING!!!

Published no picture Sarah Grace

no picture Sarah Grace

Hey everyone! I'm Grace and im new here. I am 13 years old and turning 14 this August. I am from Indonesia. Well I hate bullying so much. Why should they do that? What's the purpose of it? To try and be popular? Seriously guys?! Do you have another positive thing to make you famous at school or wherever you are? And you guys who get bullied or whatever someone did to you, i have some suggestions for you all. You need to: -Believe in God : I'm sorry, I am Christian so I beli...

Facebook in a nutshell Facebook started in the United States as a medium for some college kids to stay in touch after leaving campus. Since then, it has evolved and became one of the largest social networks in the world. An extensive, sprawling network, Facebook has managed to reach every household and every pocket. Established in 2004 from Mark Zuckerberg's dorm room in Harvard, this popular social networking site is now worth billions of dollars and is considered as one of...

A glimpse into Digitally Connected - from PressPass TV

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

At the end of April, a really exciting event took place in Boston in the US - the Digitally Connected symposium. Experts and innovators from all around the world came together and spent two-and-a-half days discussing the importance of digital in the lives of children and youth today. They shared knowledge about the research and projects that they have been working on, and discussed how they can collaborate better, to make digital tools even more effective for children. The symp...

Cyberbullying: all you need to know on VOY

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

In case you've missed them over the months, we have some great resources on cyberbullying and online safety here on VOY: -Tips & hints -Videos -Research Remember - when you post online you post to the world.

How would you raise awareness?

Published Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY

The UNICEF Convention on the Rights of the Child supports the protection of the child's "privacy, family, or correspondence" as well as protection from "unlawful attacks on his or her honor and reputation." Can we have a better internet for all? After watching this clip, we might be disturbed at how others treat and respond to the girl. What are some ways you could creatively raise awareness about self-exposure, bullying, and how to use social media online?

Self Exposure: Shared & Gone Viral

Published Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY

Social media and the internet allows us to share videos, music, information, and photos. We can share these with hundreds, thousands, and sometimes millions of people- without us even knowing. Sometimes when you share with someone you trust, they may break that trust and share it others. What you would do? - Have you ever shared a photo online, like this girl in the video? - Based on your own experiences, is this an issue in your community? - Let's choose a different...

Does social media and mobile phones enable cyberbullying?

Published Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY

The internet provides us with so many opportunities to socialize, entertain ourselves and learn; but there is also an unpleasant side. In recent years more and more people have been paying attention to the issue of ‘cyberbullying’ – which is bullying that takes place using digital tools like mobile phones and computers. What do you think... 1. Do you think that social media and the use of mobile phones is making it easier for young people to bully one another?...