STOP BULLYING!!!

Posted June 27, 2014 no picture Sarah Grace

no picture Sarah Grace View Profile

Hey everyone! I'm Grace and im new here. I am 13 years old and turning 14 this August. I am from Indonesia. Well I hate bullying so much. Why should they do that? What's the purpose of it? To try and be popular? Seriously guys?! Do you have another positive thing to make you famous at school or wherever you are? And you guys who get bullied or whatever someone did to you, i have some suggestions for you all. You need to: -Believe in God : I'm sorry, I am Christian so I beli...

Facebook in the coming years: A fraud in political change and regime identity

Posted June 3, 2014 Avatar Aicha Enriquez

Avatar Aicha Enriquez View Profile

Facebook in a nutshell Facebook started in the United States as a medium for some college kids to stay in touch after leaving campus. Since then, it has evolved and became one of the largest social networks in the world. An extensive, sprawling network, Facebook has managed to reach every household and every pocket. Established in 2004 from Mark Zuckerberg's dorm room in Harvard, this popular social networking site is now worth billions of dollars and is considered as one of...

A glimpse into Digitally Connected - from PressPass TV

Posted May 28, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

At the end of April, a really exciting event took place in Boston in the US - the Digitally Connected symposium. Experts and innovators from all around the world came together and spent two-and-a-half days discussing the importance of digital in the lives of children and youth today. They shared knowledge about the research and projects that they have been working on, and discussed how they can collaborate better, to make digital tools even more effective for children. The symp...

Cyberbullying: all you need to know on VOY

Posted April 3, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In case you've missed them over the months, we have some great resources on cyberbullying and online safety here on VOY: -Tips & hints -Videos -Research Remember - when you post online you post to the world.

How would you raise awareness?

Posted February 13, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The UNICEF Convention on the Rights of the Child supports the protection of the child's "privacy, family, or correspondence" as well as protection from "unlawful attacks on his or her honor and reputation." Can we have a better internet for all? After watching this clip, we might be disturbed at how others treat and respond to the girl. What are some ways you could creatively raise awareness about self-exposure, bullying, and how to use social media online?

Self Exposure: Shared & Gone Viral

Posted February 12, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

Social media and the internet allows us to share videos, music, information, and photos. We can share these with hundreds, thousands, and sometimes millions of people- without us even knowing. Sometimes when you share with someone you trust, they may break that trust and share it others. What you would do? - Have you ever shared a photo online, like this girl in the video? - Based on your own experiences, is this an issue in your community? - Let's choose a different...

Does social media and mobile phones enable cyberbullying?

Posted February 11, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The internet provides us with so many opportunities to socialize, entertain ourselves and learn; but there is also an unpleasant side. In recent years more and more people have been paying attention to the issue of ‘cyberbullying’ – which is bullying that takes place using digital tools like mobile phones and computers. What do you think... 1. Do you think that social media and the use of mobile phones is making it easier for young people to bully one another?...

Creating a better internet for all

Posted February 10, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In September of last year Voices of Youth joined the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at the BYND2015 Global Youth Summit in Costa Rica to promote online safety and responsible internet use among children and young people. As part of the session on online safety, entitled 'Be Smart, Be Safe' a competition was launched asking young people to develop a concept for an awareness-raising video. The winning concept - shown in this video - was designed by Rebeca Mariño Ov...

And the winner is.....

Posted November 13, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UNICEF, Voices of Youth and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) are proud to announce that winner of the 2013 BYND2015 Global Youth Summit 'Be Smart Be Safe' video contest is Rebeca Mariño Oviedo from Costa Rica. Rebeca's video concept shows how young people can make the right choices when the use the internet and social media, by thinking through the possible outcomes that an action could lead too. It captures the important message that empowering children and youn...