Get inspired by these youth innovators from Sierra Leone & Kosovo

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/673/21303865399_d5bc24257b_b.jpg

On the 9th and 10th of November, UNICEF together with the Government of Finland hosted a really awesome summit all about innovation for children and young people. During the summit, I was lucky to attend a session where a group of young innovators told us about their projects. So I asked them to share some of their thoughts with us on what inspires them and why innovation is important. From Sierra Leone, meet Jasonta (18), Oswald (24) and Vandy (20)…and from Kosovo, Diona (18...

10 things everyone should know about using the internet

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY
http://imgur.com/h4LZmT3.jpg

1. Respect what other people are saying on social media, even if you do not agree with them. 2. You have the right to privacy - and so do others. It is not okay to log into other people’s accounts or to use their phones or profiles without their permission. 3. Don’t spread rumors or post/share hurtful or embarrassing stories or photos.Things that may seem funny can hurt someone. 4. Think twice before you click ‘send’ - especially if you’re upset or angry. Once you...

Social Media Black Hole

Published no picture Flora Dan Hua

no picture Flora Dan Hua

Especially in this day and age, it is so easy for young people to lose themselves in the technological dilemma and social media frenzy. There is no denying that young people are so incredibly vulnerable and prone to the influences of society, whether it be technology, media, global trends etc. And amidst the filters, editing and photo-shopping of people, places and events, we often forget to distinguish between what is a version of ‘truth’ and what is in actuality, fact. Le...

The 21st Century Monster (FYI: also a great name for a band)

Published no picture Oliver VOY , Student

Oliver VOY

Being a teenager in today's society is arguably harder than it's ever been before. Amidst the usual and normal pangs of adolescent angst, hormone-driven heartbreak, and the arduous and timeless journey of self-discovery lies a new monster, unique to our time. This monster is not hiding under your bed waiting for the lights to go out; it's not in your closet biding his time; it's not lurking in the depths of Loch Ness (#nessieisjustcamerashy). No, the leviathan of which I speak we...

Talking about Mankind

Published no picture Nicky Mankind , Young Persons Engagement Worker - Mankind

no picture Young Persons Engagement Worker - Mankind
Nicky Mankind

My name is Nicky and earlier this year I started working for a charity called Mankind. In my previous job I was working with lots of girls who had been affected by, or who were at risk of, being sexually exploited. I then started working with some young men who I was very concerned about as their behaviour suggested that they too were being sexually exploited. I shared my concerns with many professionals and was shocked by the different responses I received. It became clear that pe...

On the 28th of March 2015, Nigeria held its Presidential Elections. The elections served as a test for the fledgling democracy which the country has built over the years. Contrary to expectations, the elections were free, fair, devoid of wrangling. The opposition party held sway and gained the upper hand it the polls. The opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) also took the majority of the Senate seats and enjoyed wide support and acceptance from the populace. It was also...

Do you suffer from Disconnect Anxiety?

Published Avatar Nala Cheng

Avatar Nala Cheng

Hi, I'm Nala Cheng, a high school student from Taiwan. This is my very first post on this website, so if there's anything that's not good enough, please feel free to tell me! For this very first post, I'd like to talk about Disconnect Anxiety. Do you suffer from Disconnect Anxiety? Disconnect anxiety is a feeling of discomfort that occurs when a heavy smartphone user can not access the online world. In the modern society, millions of people are now suffering from it. Here in...

The Brighter Side of Social Media

Published no picture Sarah

no picture Sarah

These days with technology, many people come quick to criticize the use of social media, saying that it provokes social pressure to fit in. Many also argue that social media distracts people from being productive, resulting to a less productive generation. While these problems do exist within our generation, it is important to note that they aren't always present 100% of the time. In fact, social media is the cause to good things too. Take the Egyptian Revolution as an example. Egypt back at 20...

INTERNET SAFETY AND PROTECTION

Published no picture Gabriel

no picture Gabriel

The Internet can be a wonderful resource for children. They can use it to research school reports, communicate with teachers and other kids, and play interactive games. Children who are old enough to punch in a few letters on the keyboard can literally access the world - but that access can also pose hazards. When it comes to protecting children’s rights online, businesses must collaborate with other actors including governments, parents and policy makers, to take the necessary...