http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6

DOWNLOAD How do children see their rights affected by digital media and tools? In July and August 2014, 148 children in 16 countries took part in workshops to discuss the opportunities and risks associated with digital media; these discussions – and the voices of the child participants of the workshops – are reflected in this report. Findings were presented at the Day of General Discussion, a meeting focusing on digital media and child rights that was convened by the Co...

#Read2Riches: Social Media & Reading Culture

Published no picture Fasoranti Damilola

no picture Fasoranti Damilola

As we scan for the latest gists on Social Media with our handy gadgets, today's youths are beginning to think towards climbing the seat of power, making their voices heard, reinventing the wheel of tradition and getting enlisted among world heroes via Social Media. Social Media is definitely marking its footprint on the productive years of the young people and adults alike. Teachers, educators and parents daily express their concerns as technology and Social Media seems to be t...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Published no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You can even chat with someone who is on the other side of the globe as though you were in the same room. All this is possible because of social media. Social media is an essential tool in the work that we do as advocates for change and if anything voices of youth is a social networking site. Not long ago I had the privilege of attending the Zambia Children’s Climate Conference 7 and one of the things we talked a...

Digital Media & Child Rights - 2014 Day of General Discussion

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

How many children around the world use the internet and mobile phones? How are children using social media? What are the risks to children using digital tools? What are the opportunities for improving access to information and education? The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child tells the world the rights that ALL children have. But the Convention came about in 1989 - long before the internet became available to everyone; long before nearly everyone had a mobile phon...

Photography for storytelling

Published Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post earlier inviting enthusiasts to attend the event, themed #Photography for storytelling, which was in fact a continuation of the #Y4C (Youth for Children) Dialogue. The event featured a line-up of interesting speakers, passionate undertakers of the art of photography, who delivered remarks and personal stories on various aspects of photography. The event also highlighted a promo of t...

YOU are the product

Published Avatar Christopher Onoka

Avatar Christopher Onoka

http://www.monitoringsoftwareblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/facebook.jpg

Source: http://www.monitoringsoftwareblog.com/wp-content/u...

Pertaining to my last post about the Internet

Today I’ve chosen to write to you about technology, as it has been around us for some time already and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to fade away, even the contrary: continuous development is taking place. I would like to talk to you about the Internet of Things (IoT). It sounds like a network, most like the internet but with some extra features. Well, IoT is here and it is gaining its place in our lives, or in the lives of some of us. IoT is, indeed, more complex than...

Research Project: Rights of the Child for the Digital Age

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Something pretty important is happening on the 12th of September this year. The UN Committee for the Rights of the Child will meet in Geneva to discuss updating the Convention for the Rights of the Child for a digital age. The world has certainly changed a lot since the 1980′s, the decade throughout which the convention was first drafted! To assist the Committee in their deliberations, and to ensure that young people’s experiences can directly inform their discussion, we are curr...

Call for Submissions: Digitally Connect With Us!

Published Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY

We all know that the Internet, digital media, and social networks have changed the way we learn, interact, and create change. Now it’s time for you(th) to set the conversation and share their experiences. The Youth and Media Team at theBerkman Center for Internet & Society and Voices of Youth are creating a forum for youth to get their voices heard about their online experience. The best creative pieces (essays, drawings, paintings, collages, infographics, comi...