we can do more

Posted November 20, 2013 no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi

no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi View Profile

The status of digital literacy among young people in Zambia

Posted October 4, 2013 no picture CarolynK_Zambia

no picture CarolynK_Zambia View Profile

Recently, a survey covering issues digital citizenship and safety was carried out by UNICEF with 525 pupils across Zambia. As part of the survey, young people had to complete a questionnaire that asked how they use internet and communication tools, what they use them for, how frequently they use them, and whether they have had any negative experiences using them. While carrying out the survey I took time to interview the pupils on their personal experiences with ICTs, and the ris...

Uncovering digital habits among teens in 'Africa’s Silicon Valley'

Posted September 12, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Mary* (16) and Portia* (17) live in Kawangware - a low-income neighbourhood in Nairobi, Kenya. Neither are currently attending school – Portia is helping her family by looking after her older sister’s baby while Mary is studying to become a hairdresser to supplement her family’s income. Nevertheless, both have their own mobile phones and consider them to be prized possessions. They both started using Facebook about seven months ago, and when asked, consider themselves to be...

Meet a young woman challenging the stereotype associated with the tech world

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Hi VOY family, I’ve just returned from the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 in Costa Rica and wanted to share some of my reflections with you over the coming days. KateVOY Arriving at the Global Youth Summit (GYS) venue on the morning of day 2 we were greeted mostly by empty hallways and rooms. Most of the participants were out at the National Stadium of Costa Rica attending the first session of the day - Be Healthy. One room, however, was occupied - the venue for the GYS hackatho...

6th Grader Teaches App Development to Schoolmates and Teachers

Posted September 11, 2013 Avatar

As the current digital era continues to expand and open new opportunities to learn and communicate, new norms are emerging. Female merchants in Kenya are using mobile banking to transfer money to their bank accounts, doctors in Uganda are receiving via text messages notifications of urgently needed medical assistance, and students in the United States like 6th grader Thomas Suarez are positively influencing their communities and schools through innovative mobile app designs.

COMPETITION: Be the brain behind the next VOY Citizens video

Posted September 9, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UPDATE: Deadline for submissions extended to 23 September. How many times have you watched a video clip about internet safety and thought to yourself: “Hmm that's boring or lame...I can do better” ? We're giving you that chance… As part of our involvement in the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 and the Be Smart Be Safe session, we're launching a competition to give young people the chance to help us create a powerful awareness raising video about internet safety. W...

Is your internet use smart and safe?

Posted September 6, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Do you know the person chatting to you on the latest viral video thread? Do they know your full name, your address, or maybe your phone number? Have you ever been a victim of hurtful messages and photos spread on social media? Did you get denied access to college, university or even employment because of something you posted online? On day two of the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 next week, UNICEF and Voices of Youth will join the ITU and other partners in talking wit...

What's #BYND2015?

Posted July 30, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Are you under the age of 25? Do you have an idea how technology can change your world for the better? The ITU is giving you a chance to play a role in setting the next generation of international ICT policy, by helping send a message to world leaders on the future global development agenda. The Global Youth Summit: BYND 2015 will mobilize youth to join forces and create solutions for social good, enabled through widespread access to information and communication technolog...

Are you on Twitter? Connect with VOY

Posted July 10, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

The Voices of Youth Twitter family is growing and growing and over 8,000 strong. And we're excited to tell you that we're using a cool new feature to help us keep track of the interesting and thought-provoking discussions we have with you via Twitter. If you're on Twitter and you haven't connected with us yet - follow us @voicesofyouth and if you want to check out the discussions that are currently taking place visit our "nest" here: http://voicesofyouth.nestivity.com At the...