And the winner is.....

Posted November 13, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UNICEF, Voices of Youth and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) are proud to announce that winner of the 2013 BYND2015 Global Youth Summit 'Be Smart Be Safe' video contest is Rebeca Mariño Oviedo from Costa Rica. Rebeca's video concept shows how young people can make the right choices when the use the internet and social media, by thinking through the possible outcomes that an action could lead too. It captures the important message that empowering children and youn...

What should companies do to make the internet safe for children?

Posted December 4, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

We need your comments! Online safety has been a big topic this year on Voices of Youth - we've spoken to youth all around the world about it at events like the #BYND2015 summit in Costa Rica, and we've published several research reports about it. Earlier this year UNICEF and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) started working on a revised set of guidelines for the ICT/digital industry on how best to protect children's rights in the ICT/digital sphere. These g...

Are we all iDiots?

Posted December 3, 2013 no picture

This short film raises some interesting questions on the current expansion of digital media, and our insatiate hunger and dependency for new technology and information. Is our happiness ultimately based on things we don’t need and governed by entities we don’t control?

How do young South Africans deal with online risks?

Posted December 3, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Four in five children in South Africa have access to a mobile phone, and almost half of them use mobile phones to access the internet. However, the opportunities presented by this access are often over-shadowed by the possibility for harm and online violence, as well as offline danger that result from online engagement. According to a study released last week Connected Dot Com: Young People’s Navigation of Online Risks undertaken by the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention...

You can help stop bullying

Posted November 26, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Every day, thousands of children around the world are victims of bullying. Yet we all have a role to play in ending the cycle of violence. You can help put an end to bullying in your school or community by refusing to take part - don't forward hurtful or embarrassing messages or photos (especially online). You can see tips to end bullying which other Voices of Youth community members have shared right here: http://uni.cf/1c6FxQn Share this video, share your tips and let's p...

we can do more

Posted November 20, 2013 no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi

no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi View Profile

The status of digital literacy among young people in Zambia

Posted October 4, 2013 no picture CarolynK_Zambia

no picture CarolynK_Zambia View Profile

Recently, a survey covering issues digital citizenship and safety was carried out by UNICEF with 525 pupils across Zambia. As part of the survey, young people had to complete a questionnaire that asked how they use internet and communication tools, what they use them for, how frequently they use them, and whether they have had any negative experiences using them. While carrying out the survey I took time to interview the pupils on their personal experiences with ICTs, and the ris...

Uncovering digital habits among teens in 'Africa’s Silicon Valley'

Posted September 12, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Mary* (16) and Portia* (17) live in Kawangware - a low-income neighbourhood in Nairobi, Kenya. Neither are currently attending school – Portia is helping her family by looking after her older sister’s baby while Mary is studying to become a hairdresser to supplement her family’s income. Nevertheless, both have their own mobile phones and consider them to be prized possessions. They both started using Facebook about seven months ago, and when asked, consider themselves to be...

Meet a young woman challenging the stereotype associated with the tech world

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Hi VOY family, I’ve just returned from the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 in Costa Rica and wanted to share some of my reflections with you over the coming days. KateVOY Arriving at the Global Youth Summit (GYS) venue on the morning of day 2 we were greeted mostly by empty hallways and rooms. Most of the participants were out at the National Stadium of Costa Rica attending the first session of the day - Be Healthy. One room, however, was occupied - the venue for the GYS hackatho...