How do young South Africans deal with online risks?

Posted December 3, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Four in five children in South Africa have access to a mobile phone, and almost half of them use mobile phones to access the internet. However, the opportunities presented by this access are often over-shadowed by the possibility for harm and online violence, as well as offline danger that result from online engagement. According to a study released last week Connected Dot Com: Young People’s Navigation of Online Risks undertaken by the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention...

You can help stop bullying

Posted November 26, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Every day, thousands of children around the world are victims of bullying. Yet we all have a role to play in ending the cycle of violence. You can help put an end to bullying in your school or community by refusing to take part - don't forward hurtful or embarrassing messages or photos (especially online). You can see tips to end bullying which other Voices of Youth community members have shared right here: http://uni.cf/1c6FxQn Share this video, share your tips and let's p...

we can do more

Posted November 20, 2013 no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi

no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi View Profile

The status of digital literacy among young people in Zambia

Posted October 4, 2013 no picture CarolynK_Zambia

no picture CarolynK_Zambia View Profile

Recently, a survey covering issues digital citizenship and safety was carried out by UNICEF with 525 pupils across Zambia. As part of the survey, young people had to complete a questionnaire that asked how they use internet and communication tools, what they use them for, how frequently they use them, and whether they have had any negative experiences using them. While carrying out the survey I took time to interview the pupils on their personal experiences with ICTs, and the ris...

Uncovering digital habits among teens in 'Africa’s Silicon Valley'

Posted September 12, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Mary* (16) and Portia* (17) live in Kawangware - a low-income neighbourhood in Nairobi, Kenya. Neither are currently attending school – Portia is helping her family by looking after her older sister’s baby while Mary is studying to become a hairdresser to supplement her family’s income. Nevertheless, both have their own mobile phones and consider them to be prized possessions. They both started using Facebook about seven months ago, and when asked, consider themselves to be...

Meet a young woman challenging the stereotype associated with the tech world

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Hi VOY family, I’ve just returned from the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 in Costa Rica and wanted to share some of my reflections with you over the coming days. KateVOY Arriving at the Global Youth Summit (GYS) venue on the morning of day 2 we were greeted mostly by empty hallways and rooms. Most of the participants were out at the National Stadium of Costa Rica attending the first session of the day - Be Healthy. One room, however, was occupied - the venue for the GYS hackatho...

6th Grader Teaches App Development to Schoolmates and Teachers

Posted September 11, 2013 Avatar

As the current digital era continues to expand and open new opportunities to learn and communicate, new norms are emerging. Female merchants in Kenya are using mobile banking to transfer money to their bank accounts, doctors in Uganda are receiving via text messages notifications of urgently needed medical assistance, and students in the United States like 6th grader Thomas Suarez are positively influencing their communities and schools through innovative mobile app designs.

COMPETITION: Be the brain behind the next VOY Citizens video

Posted September 9, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UPDATE: Deadline for submissions extended to 23 September. How many times have you watched a video clip about internet safety and thought to yourself: “Hmm that's boring or lame...I can do better” ? We're giving you that chance… As part of our involvement in the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 and the Be Smart Be Safe session, we're launching a competition to give young people the chance to help us create a powerful awareness raising video about internet safety. W...

Is your internet use smart and safe?

Posted September 6, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Do you know the person chatting to you on the latest viral video thread? Do they know your full name, your address, or maybe your phone number? Have you ever been a victim of hurtful messages and photos spread on social media? Did you get denied access to college, university or even employment because of something you posted online? On day two of the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 next week, UNICEF and Voices of Youth will join the ITU and other partners in talking wit...