Creating a better internet for all

Published Avatar VOY team member, KateVOY

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

In September of last year Voices of Youth joined the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at the BYND2015 Global Youth Summit in Costa Rica to promote online safety and responsible internet use among children and young people. As part of the session on online safety, entitled 'Be Smart, Be Safe' a competition was launched asking young people to develop a concept for an awareness-raising video. The winning concept - shown in this video - was designed by Rebeca Mariño Ov...

And the winner is.....

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

UNICEF, Voices of Youth and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) are proud to announce that winner of the 2013 BYND2015 Global Youth Summit 'Be Smart Be Safe' video contest is Rebeca Mariño Oviedo from Costa Rica. Rebeca's video concept shows how young people can make the right choices when the use the internet and social media, by thinking through the possible outcomes that an action could lead too. It captures the important message that empowering children and youn...

What should companies do to make the internet safe for children?

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

We need your comments! Online safety has been a big topic this year on Voices of Youth - we've spoken to youth all around the world about it at events like the #BYND2015 summit in Costa Rica, and we've published several research reports about it. Earlier this year UNICEF and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) started working on a revised set of guidelines for the ICT/digital industry on how best to protect children's rights in the ICT/digital sphere. These g...

Are we all iDiots?

Published no picture

This short film raises some interesting questions on the current expansion of digital media, and our insatiate hunger and dependency for new technology and information. Is our happiness ultimately based on things we don’t need and governed by entities we don’t control?

How do young South Africans deal with online risks?

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Four in five children in South Africa have access to a mobile phone, and almost half of them use mobile phones to access the internet. However, the opportunities presented by this access are often over-shadowed by the possibility for harm and online violence, as well as offline danger that result from online engagement. According to a study released last week Connected Dot Com: Young People’s Navigation of Online Risks undertaken by the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention...

You can help stop bullying

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Every day, thousands of children around the world are victims of bullying. Yet we all have a role to play in ending the cycle of violence. You can help put an end to bullying in your school or community by refusing to take part - don't forward hurtful or embarrassing messages or photos (especially online). You can see tips to end bullying which other Voices of Youth community members have shared right here: http://uni.cf/1c6FxQn Share this video, share your tips and let's p...

we can do more

Published no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi

no picture Marwa J. Al-aqbi

Recently, a survey covering issues digital citizenship and safety was carried out by UNICEF with 525 pupils across Zambia. As part of the survey, young people had to complete a questionnaire that asked how they use internet and communication tools, what they use them for, how frequently they use them, and whether they have had any negative experiences using them. While carrying out the survey I took time to interview the pupils on their personal experiences with ICTs, and the ris...

Uncovering digital habits among teens in 'Africa’s Silicon Valley'

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Mary* (16) and Portia* (17) live in Kawangware - a low-income neighbourhood in Nairobi, Kenya. Neither are currently attending school – Portia is helping her family by looking after her older sister’s baby while Mary is studying to become a hairdresser to supplement her family’s income. Nevertheless, both have their own mobile phones and consider them to be prized possessions. They both started using Facebook about seven months ago, and when asked, consider themselves to be...