COMPETITION: Be the brain behind the next VOY Citizens video

Posted September 9, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UPDATE: Deadline for submissions extended to 23 September. How many times have you watched a video clip about internet safety and thought to yourself: “Hmm that's boring or lame...I can do better” ? We're giving you that chance… As part of our involvement in the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 and the Be Smart Be Safe session, we're launching a competition to give young people the chance to help us create a powerful awareness raising video about internet safety. W...

Is your internet use smart and safe?

Posted September 6, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Do you know the person chatting to you on the latest viral video thread? Do they know your full name, your address, or maybe your phone number? Have you ever been a victim of hurtful messages and photos spread on social media? Did you get denied access to college, university or even employment because of something you posted online? On day two of the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 next week, UNICEF and Voices of Youth will join the ITU and other partners in talking wit...

What's #BYND2015?

Posted July 30, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Are you under the age of 25? Do you have an idea how technology can change your world for the better? The ITU is giving you a chance to play a role in setting the next generation of international ICT policy, by helping send a message to world leaders on the future global development agenda. The Global Youth Summit: BYND 2015 will mobilize youth to join forces and create solutions for social good, enabled through widespread access to information and communication technolog...

Are you on Twitter? Connect with VOY

Posted July 10, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

The Voices of Youth Twitter family is growing and growing and over 8,000 strong. And we're excited to tell you that we're using a cool new feature to help us keep track of the interesting and thought-provoking discussions we have with you via Twitter. If you're on Twitter and you haven't connected with us yet - follow us @voicesofyouth and if you want to check out the discussions that are currently taking place visit our "nest" here: http://voicesofyouth.nestivity.com At the...

Who are the social media giants in Africa?

Posted July 1, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9ed85fd8096b4f30981c84287b15ffac/tumblr_mkblsnFjoC1qiuwg7o1_1280.jpg

Source: http://afrographique.tumblr.com/post/46417790373/a...

A really simple and handy visualization of Facebook use in Africa. Did you know that Egypt had the highest number of users - similar to Australia and Japan? Or that all of Africa's Facebook users combined are still fewer than the Facebook users of India?

Voices of Youth in the news!

Posted June 19, 2013 no picture

"How a digital world can educate and empower youth". Read about Voices of Youth's digital initiatives in this photo essay and in a series of articles: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/gallery/digital-world-educate-empower-youth-pictures © UNICEF/NYHQ2011-2000/ROGER LEMOYNE

If it's on the web it must be true?

Posted June 14, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

When I was young I used to think that anything that was written in a book MUST be true? After all, books have publishers, and there are all sorts of people who are paid to check everything right? Of course not – there is no single magical arbitrator who decides whether the content of a particular book is “true”. Luckily I have had some amazing teachers during my life, especially at university, who helped me to develop critical thinking skills which have in turn allowed me...

Is your face all over the web?

Posted June 4, 2013 Avatar SpeakOutNOw

Avatar SpeakOutNOw View Profile

I love taking photos: it is a hobby I have been doing for many years and I enjoy it equally with my DSLR camera as well as my iPhone. I like to take photos documenting my travels; photos of interesting street scenes; but most of all I like to take photos of people. Perhaps you do too? But how much thought have you ever given much thought as to whether you should? The proliferation of camera phones and the popularity of photo-sharing social media platforms such as Instagram or...

Are you addicted to the Internet?

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Has anyone ever told you that you’re addicted to the internet? Would you qualify as an ‘excessive user’? A recent report from EU Kids Online unpacks the issue of excessive use of the internet by children in the European Union. It shows that while almost a third of children show at least one of the signs of excessive use, only 1 % fell into the most extreme category. You can read the full report here: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/EUKidsOnline/EU%20Kids%20III/Report...