http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6

DOWNLOAD How do children see their rights affected by digital media and tools? In July and August 2014, 148 children in 16 countries took part in workshops to discuss the opportunities and risks associated with digital media; these discussions – and the voices of the child participants of the workshops – are reflected in this report. Findings were presented at the Day of General Discussion, a meeting focusing on digital media and child rights that was convened by the Co...

Digital Media & Child Rights - 2014 Day of General Discussion

Posted September 11, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

How many children around the world use the internet and mobile phones? How are children using social media? What are the risks to children using digital tools? What are the opportunities for improving access to information and education? The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child tells the world the rights that ALL children have. But the Convention came about in 1989 - long before the internet became available to everyone; long before nearly everyone had a mobile phon...

Research Project: Rights of the Child for the Digital Age

Posted July 9, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Something pretty important is happening on the 12th of September this year. The UN Committee for the Rights of the Child will meet in Geneva to discuss updating the Convention for the Rights of the Child for a digital age. The world has certainly changed a lot since the 1980′s, the decade throughout which the convention was first drafted! To assist the Committee in their deliberations, and to ensure that young people’s experiences can directly inform their discussion, we are curr...

Call for Submissions: Digitally Connect With Us!

Posted July 1, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

We all know that the Internet, digital media, and social networks have changed the way we learn, interact, and create change. Now it’s time for you(th) to set the conversation and share their experiences. The Youth and Media Team at theBerkman Center for Internet & Society and Voices of Youth are creating a forum for youth to get their voices heard about their online experience. The best creative pieces (essays, drawings, paintings, collages, infographics, comi...

A glimpse into Digitally Connected - from PressPass TV

Posted May 28, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

At the end of April, a really exciting event took place in Boston in the US - the Digitally Connected symposium. Experts and innovators from all around the world came together and spent two-and-a-half days discussing the importance of digital in the lives of children and youth today. They shared knowledge about the research and projects that they have been working on, and discussed how they can collaborate better, to make digital tools even more effective for children. The symp...

Cyberbullying: all you need to know on VOY

Posted April 3, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In case you've missed them over the months, we have some great resources on cyberbullying and online safety here on VOY: -Tips & hints -Videos -Research Remember - when you post online you post to the world.

How would you raise awareness?

Posted February 13, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The UNICEF Convention on the Rights of the Child supports the protection of the child's "privacy, family, or correspondence" as well as protection from "unlawful attacks on his or her honor and reputation." Can we have a better internet for all? After watching this clip, we might be disturbed at how others treat and respond to the girl. What are some ways you could creatively raise awareness about self-exposure, bullying, and how to use social media online?

Self Exposure: Shared & Gone Viral

Posted February 12, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

Social media and the internet allows us to share videos, music, information, and photos. We can share these with hundreds, thousands, and sometimes millions of people- without us even knowing. Sometimes when you share with someone you trust, they may break that trust and share it others. What you would do? - Have you ever shared a photo online, like this girl in the video? - Based on your own experiences, is this an issue in your community? - Let's choose a different...

Does social media and mobile phones enable cyberbullying?

Posted February 11, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

The internet provides us with so many opportunities to socialize, entertain ourselves and learn; but there is also an unpleasant side. In recent years more and more people have been paying attention to the issue of ‘cyberbullying’ – which is bullying that takes place using digital tools like mobile phones and computers. What do you think... 1. Do you think that social media and the use of mobile phones is making it easier for young people to bully one another?...

Creating a better internet for all

Posted February 10, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

In September of last year Voices of Youth joined the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at the BYND2015 Global Youth Summit in Costa Rica to promote online safety and responsible internet use among children and young people. As part of the session on online safety, entitled 'Be Smart, Be Safe' a competition was launched asking young people to develop a concept for an awareness-raising video. The winning concept - shown in this video - was designed by Rebeca Mariño Ov...

And the winner is.....

Posted November 13, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UNICEF, Voices of Youth and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) are proud to announce that winner of the 2013 BYND2015 Global Youth Summit 'Be Smart Be Safe' video contest is Rebeca Mariño Oviedo from Costa Rica. Rebeca's video concept shows how young people can make the right choices when the use the internet and social media, by thinking through the possible outcomes that an action could lead too. It captures the important message that empowering children and youn...

What should companies do to make the internet safe for children?

Posted December 4, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

We need your comments! Online safety has been a big topic this year on Voices of Youth - we've spoken to youth all around the world about it at events like the #BYND2015 summit in Costa Rica, and we've published several research reports about it. Earlier this year UNICEF and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) started working on a revised set of guidelines for the ICT/digital industry on how best to protect children's rights in the ICT/digital sphere. These g...

Are we all iDiots?

Posted December 3, 2013 no picture

This short film raises some interesting questions on the current expansion of digital media, and our insatiate hunger and dependency for new technology and information. Is our happiness ultimately based on things we don’t need and governed by entities we don’t control?

How do young South Africans deal with online risks?

Posted December 3, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Four in five children in South Africa have access to a mobile phone, and almost half of them use mobile phones to access the internet. However, the opportunities presented by this access are often over-shadowed by the possibility for harm and online violence, as well as offline danger that result from online engagement. According to a study released last week Connected Dot Com: Young People’s Navigation of Online Risks undertaken by the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention...

You can help stop bullying

Posted November 26, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Every day, thousands of children around the world are victims of bullying. Yet we all have a role to play in ending the cycle of violence. You can help put an end to bullying in your school or community by refusing to take part - don't forward hurtful or embarrassing messages or photos (especially online). You can see tips to end bullying which other Voices of Youth community members have shared right here: http://uni.cf/1c6FxQn Share this video, share your tips and let's p...

Uncovering digital habits among teens in 'Africa’s Silicon Valley'

Posted September 12, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Mary* (16) and Portia* (17) live in Kawangware - a low-income neighbourhood in Nairobi, Kenya. Neither are currently attending school – Portia is helping her family by looking after her older sister’s baby while Mary is studying to become a hairdresser to supplement her family’s income. Nevertheless, both have their own mobile phones and consider them to be prized possessions. They both started using Facebook about seven months ago, and when asked, consider themselves to be...

Meet a young woman challenging the stereotype associated with the tech world

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Hi VOY family, I’ve just returned from the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 in Costa Rica and wanted to share some of my reflections with you over the coming days. KateVOY Arriving at the Global Youth Summit (GYS) venue on the morning of day 2 we were greeted mostly by empty hallways and rooms. Most of the participants were out at the National Stadium of Costa Rica attending the first session of the day - Be Healthy. One room, however, was occupied - the venue for the GYS hackatho...

COMPETITION: Be the brain behind the next VOY Citizens video

Posted September 9, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UPDATE: Deadline for submissions extended to 23 September. How many times have you watched a video clip about internet safety and thought to yourself: “Hmm that's boring or lame...I can do better” ? We're giving you that chance… As part of our involvement in the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 and the Be Smart Be Safe session, we're launching a competition to give young people the chance to help us create a powerful awareness raising video about internet safety. W...

Is your internet use smart and safe?

Posted September 6, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Do you know the person chatting to you on the latest viral video thread? Do they know your full name, your address, or maybe your phone number? Have you ever been a victim of hurtful messages and photos spread on social media? Did you get denied access to college, university or even employment because of something you posted online? On day two of the Global Youth Summit: BYND2015 next week, UNICEF and Voices of Youth will join the ITU and other partners in talking wit...

What's #BYND2015?

Posted July 30, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Are you under the age of 25? Do you have an idea how technology can change your world for the better? The ITU is giving you a chance to play a role in setting the next generation of international ICT policy, by helping send a message to world leaders on the future global development agenda. The Global Youth Summit: BYND 2015 will mobilize youth to join forces and create solutions for social good, enabled through widespread access to information and communication technolog...

Are you on Twitter? Connect with VOY

Posted July 10, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

The Voices of Youth Twitter family is growing and growing and over 8,000 strong. And we're excited to tell you that we're using a cool new feature to help us keep track of the interesting and thought-provoking discussions we have with you via Twitter. If you're on Twitter and you haven't connected with us yet - follow us @voicesofyouth and if you want to check out the discussions that are currently taking place visit our "nest" here: http://voicesofyouth.nestivity.com At the...

Who are the social media giants in Africa?

Posted July 1, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9ed85fd8096b4f30981c84287b15ffac/tumblr_mkblsnFjoC1qiuwg7o1_1280.jpg

Source: http://afrographique.tumblr.com/post/46417790373/a...

A really simple and handy visualization of Facebook use in Africa. Did you know that Egypt had the highest number of users - similar to Australia and Japan? Or that all of Africa's Facebook users combined are still fewer than the Facebook users of India?

Voices of Youth in the news!

Posted June 19, 2013 no picture

"How a digital world can educate and empower youth". Read about Voices of Youth's digital initiatives in this photo essay and in a series of articles: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/gallery/digital-world-educate-empower-youth-pictures © UNICEF/NYHQ2011-2000/ROGER LEMOYNE

If it's on the web it must be true?

Posted June 14, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

When I was young I used to think that anything that was written in a book MUST be true? After all, books have publishers, and there are all sorts of people who are paid to check everything right? Of course not – there is no single magical arbitrator who decides whether the content of a particular book is “true”. Luckily I have had some amazing teachers during my life, especially at university, who helped me to develop critical thinking skills which have in turn allowed me...

Are you addicted to the Internet?

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Has anyone ever told you that you’re addicted to the internet? Would you qualify as an ‘excessive user’? A recent report from EU Kids Online unpacks the issue of excessive use of the internet by children in the European Union. It shows that while almost a third of children show at least one of the signs of excessive use, only 1 % fell into the most extreme category. You can read the full report here: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/EUKidsOnline/EU%20Kids%20III/Report...

Empowering Viet Nam’s young digital citizens

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

UNICEF and partners explore the opportunities and risks that the country’s digital evolution presents for children November 2012, Hanoi -- As Viet Nam experiences rapid growth in access to mobile phones and the Internet, UNICEF and partners are focusing attention on the impact of this digital expansion on children in the country. According to the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), Internet penetration in Viet Nam doubled between 2006 and 2011 while the number of mo...

While attending the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) recently, I went to an interesting session about the issue of hate speech in the context of the Internet. While some of the panelists argued that there need to be boundaries and actions taken when acts of hate speech are committed, others argued that we need to be careful when advocating for control over what people say on the Internet, lest 'hate speech' be used as an argument to suppress freedom of expression more generally. Fre...

Cyberbullying - Bullying in a networked era

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

The Berkman Centre for Internet and Society at Harvard University recently published a literature review that contributes to the growing body of research looking at an issue which attracts a lot of attention. If you would like to read the full report you can access it here: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/7971

Promoting our cultures and history

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

I've recently had the opportunity to travel to a number of countries for work, and there is nothing I love more than learning about new cultures. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to travel, and many lack access to television or even books to expose themselves to other cultures, their customs and stories. What's more is that in order for you to watch a documentary or read a book about a culture it usually means that someone else needs to have decided that it was worth mak...

Social media and entrepreneurship – is it opening doors for youth?

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile
Youth unemployment in developing countries presents a major challenge for governments and organizations working with youth. A recent study from the Dubai School of Government examines what role social media is playing in opening up new economic opportunities for young people in the Arab world.

Source: http://www.wamda.com/2012/11/social-media-employme...

Have you ever used social media to find work?

Friendship and the Internet

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

A few months ago I packed up my entire life into two suitcases and boarded a plane to move to New York. I was incredibly excited but also devastated to leave my friends behind. The one thing that made me feel better was knowing that we would still be connected - I could follow what was going on in their lives through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and chat to them as we would normally, through instant messaging services. No need to wait weeks for letters or to rush through expensi...

Is the Internet – a place for meanies and bullies?

Posted March 25, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

‘Cyberbullying’ has been a buzz word in conversations about Internet safety in recent years, with much concern for the wellbeing of young users – children and adolescents. If the results of studies conducted by UNICEF and other institutions are anything to go by, a lot of younger users of the Internet have experienced some form of insults/ harassment/ embarrassment while online: • According to the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention study on cyber bullying in Sout...