Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

Posted September 30, 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia View Profile

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from the various forms of the Arab Spring, its ability to bring about rapid change. A number of initiatives have been using social media platforms in Africa in innovative new ways – particularly when it comes to engaging and activating wider audiences – and particularly the youth – around issues that matter the most to them. On the 22nd of October 2014 I spoke at Strathmore Universi...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Posted September 23, 2014 no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT View Profile

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA# In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You can even chat with someone who is on the other side of the globe as though you were in the same room. All this is possible because of social media. Social media is an essential tool in the work that we do as advocates for change and if anything voices of youth is a social networking site. Not long ago I had the privilege of attending the Zambia Children’s Climate Conference 7 and o...

Young Reporters from Cape Town interview the US Ambassador, Patrick Gaspard

Posted September 12, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/yo...

The youth reporters at Red River Primary School in Cape Town got the opportunity to interview Patrick Gaspard, the US Ambassador to South Africa. And it seemed they hit all the right notes with this diplomat.

A good Road network is vital

Posted September 9, 2014 Avatar Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia

Avatar Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia View Profile

Road maintenance is vital to the well being of so many societies across Zambia - especially a good road network. Kitwe is not an exception; it being one of the major mining town on the copper belt province. If roads are in a bad state this raises major concern for the local people. Especially when transporting copper and other goods outside the province. Faulty roads were one of the major challenges in so many communities but due some positive actions that are being taken now, th...

Xenophobia

Posted September 8, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/ra...

The "Cracking It" young reporters from Kuruman in the Northern Cape, tackle the issue of Xenophobia within our communities. They discuss among themselves and interact with listeners on what can be done to get rid of these attacks on foreign nationals.

Burning Museum

Posted September 3, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

Source: http://bit.ly/1Cz0QXC

Burning Museum is an arts collective in Cape Town. Their mission is to make ordinary people part of history, to remind us of our stories and memories, and to take the museum to people. The young reporters at Red River Primary School in Manenberg did a "burn" with them, and found out what these public works of art are all about.

A Woman's Journey

Source: http://bit.ly/1AfG6Ae

From a rural South African childhood, through family challenges to becoming a social entrepreneur and role model to many. Lillian Masebenza is a woman who celebrates her experience and shares her expertise. She also reminds us that South Africa's freedom was nursed by a generation of women who stood united. She shares her story with the Radio Workshop in celebration of Women's Day.

Safe Travels

Source: http://bit.ly/1xm0SSR

For Zahni, safety means being able to walk around without having to be watched by adults. She feels safe at school, but not at malls and busy places. Zahni recounts a time getting off the train in Pinelands station in Cape Town, when all didn't go as planned.

Challenged by fear of the unkown

Posted September 1, 2014 no picture Moonga

no picture Moonga View Profile

Your name: Brighton Mukupa Kaoma Your age: 20 Where are you originally from and where do you currently live? I’m born and bred Zambian, grew up in the mining town of Kitwe, and currently living in Lusaka which is the capital city of Zambia. According your business card – what is your job title? I am a UNICEF Youth Ambassador and currently serving as Zambia In-Country Coordinator for the Voices of Youth Connect-a UNICEF global network for in-school and out-of-sch...