Antseranampontsy Maroantsetra

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Arlin_Connecte_Madagascar

no picture Arlin_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

Literally Antseranampontsy means banana’s port. Bananas come from the countryside and arrive in Maroantsetra at Antseranampotsy. Before, marketers of bananas were traders of yams but because the latter begin to be scarce so, the people sell banana. There are 5-10 canoes per day arriving at Maroantsetra to bring bananas. Now banana production decline because there is also banana diseases. Disease may come from climate change. Farmers do not usually maintain the plantations of ba...

Holiday Activities

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Herico_Connecte_Madagascar

no picture Herico_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

The school holidays start from June 26th (national holiday) and end at the end of September. Our team took advantages of the holidays to plant trees and to take care of coconuts trees at the seaside. Coconut trees grow easily at the seaside; they protect shorelines against erosion, slow violent wind and can become a source of money too. We saw beautiful beaches on the internet and still coconut trees are always seen around. After 4-7 years of growth, coconut trees are able to give...

Feeding mouths; is it a child's responsibility?

Posted October 6, 2014 no picture christinemwanachilenga_connect_zambia

no picture christinemwanachilenga_connect_zambia View Profile

Is it a child’s responsibility to feed his family or siblings? More especially if the child is only 12-years-old? Poverty being a state of lacking, certain needs like food and clothes drags children into child labour. In Luanshya, a small town in Zambia, there are homes that are child-headed and some children are street vendors which makes it hard for them to get fed or go to school. If you were to walk in the streets that lead to the industrial area in Luanshya where scrap m...

Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

Posted September 30, 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia View Profile

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from the various forms of the Arab Spring, its ability to bring about rapid change. A number of initiatives have been using social media platforms in Africa in innovative new ways – particularly when it comes to engaging and activating wider audiences – and particularly the youth – around issues that matter the most to them. On the 22nd of October 2014 I spoke at Strathmore Universi...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Posted September 23, 2014 no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT View Profile

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA# In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You can even chat with someone who is on the other side of the globe as though you were in the same room. All this is possible because of social media. Social media is an essential tool in the work that we do as advocates for change and if anything voices of youth is a social networking site. Not long ago I had the privilege of attending the Zambia Children’s Climate Conference 7 and o...

Young Reporters from Cape Town interview the US Ambassador, Patrick Gaspard

Posted September 12, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/yo...

The youth reporters at Red River Primary School in Cape Town got the opportunity to interview Patrick Gaspard, the US Ambassador to South Africa. And it seemed they hit all the right notes with this diplomat.

A good Road network is vital

Posted September 9, 2014 Avatar Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia

Avatar Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia View Profile

Road maintenance is vital to the well being of so many societies across Zambia - especially a good road network. Kitwe is not an exception; it being one of the major mining town on the copper belt province. If roads are in a bad state this raises major concern for the local people. Especially when transporting copper and other goods outside the province. Faulty roads were one of the major challenges in so many communities but due some positive actions that are being taken now, th...

Xenophobia

Posted September 8, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/ra...

The "Cracking It" young reporters from Kuruman in the Northern Cape, tackle the issue of Xenophobia within our communities. They discuss among themselves and interact with listeners on what can be done to get rid of these attacks on foreign nationals.

Burning Museum

Posted September 3, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

Source: http://bit.ly/1Cz0QXC

Burning Museum is an arts collective in Cape Town. Their mission is to make ordinary people part of history, to remind us of our stories and memories, and to take the museum to people. The young reporters at Red River Primary School in Manenberg did a "burn" with them, and found out what these public works of art are all about.