Save Lemurs

Posted June 21, 2014 Avatar

A movie about lemurs in Madagascar was recently made. I was astonished to find out from people overseas who share their interest for these cute primates. Indeed, an American primatologist does fight for the conservation of their habitat. Thus, I was wondering why Malagasy did not act the same way. The answer is that we have a terrible dilemma: should we protect the lemurs or should we give families a chance to live? On one hand, Malagasy families live under the exploitation...

The Problem of Child Work in Bandundu

Posted June 18, 2014 Avatar Pona Bana

Avatar Pona Bana View Profile

Following the World Day Against Child Labour, Deo, a Young Reporter from Bandundu, raises his voice against the economic exploitation of school-aged children in his hometown. Today I am going to talk to you about the economic exploitation of children in the city of Bandundu. This violation of children’s rights is widespread, to the extent that it is readily accepted by the population of the city of Bandundu, when in reality it is something to be vigorously condemned. The ec...

Time is never wasted when it is given to a child to express him/herself

Posted June 18, 2014 Avatar Pona Bana

Avatar Pona Bana View Profile

“The Children’s Forum of Hope” of the Great Lakes region was officially launched on Saturday 31 May 2014 at the meeting room of the Hotel Club du Lac Tanganyika in Bujumbura, Burundi. His Excellency Mr. Vice-President of the Republic of Burundi gave an opening speech for this occasion. The previous day, on Friday May 30th, we were given kits that would be useful to us throughout the forum and had a presentation from each participant in order to get better acquainted. Th...

“HAPPY” – Tuna Furahi From Goma

Posted June 18, 2014 Avatar Pona Bana

Avatar Pona Bana View Profile

In North-Kivu, in the East of the Democratic Republic of Congo, we have lived through a decade of endless wars with many consequences on the youth growth and development. Towards the end of 2013, we have had hope of reviving peace and this has allowed us to hold cultural activities to celebrate peace. At the beginning of the month of May, I brought together my friends and lovers of culture living in Goma to present my idea to do “Happy” for the beautiful and wonderful city of...

Education Above All

Posted June 18, 2014 Avatar Pona Bana

Avatar Pona Bana View Profile

On this memorable Day of the African Child, we, the children of the province of Kasai -Occidental, want to advocate against the violation of the right of the child to education. Article 28 - States Parties recognize the right of the child to education Education is one of the fundamental rights of the child. The State must assure this right, as stipulated in article 28 of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, because education can contribute in a way or another to the peace and developme...

Zambia's Child Climate Ambassadors Commemorate World Environment Day

Posted June 17, 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia View Profile

On 5 June, child climate ambassadors across Zambia joined the rest of the world in commemorating the 2014 World Environment Day. The local theme was ‘Raise Your Voice, Not the Green House Gases – Protect the Environment.’ In Lusaka, the ambassadors joined the national commemoration at the Olympic Youth Development Centre (OYDC). The activities included a two kilometer awareness walk, school art competition, exhibitions and speeches by the Acting Honorable Minister of Lands, N...

A Human Habitat

Posted June 17, 2014 Avatar Thompson_Youth_Zambia

Avatar Thompson_Youth_Zambia View Profile

I want our government to enforce regulations on how we can keep our surroundings clean. People should be told of what happens to the environment when it is not taken care of. Here is a picture that shows how Mongu, a town in the western part of Zambia, is not cared for by its own people... I wonder what would happen if this kind of dirt is allowed to pile up for more than 5 years.... Let's stand together and find a way to show these people how to keep our environment clean....

The Place Where we Live

Posted June 12, 2014 Avatar Thompson_Youth_Zambia

I went to some places here in Mongu, Zambia and I did not like the way people of our country are treating the environment. Market places are becoming rubbish pits, litter is disposed of any which way. Is there a way in which we can stop this? How can we get the attention of these people and tell them how this is a discriminatory way of treating the environment? Our drainage system is supposed to be a means of controlling the flow of water during the winter season but is the same pe...

The documentary took home the 2012 UNICEF Prize at the Prix Jeunesse International Festival in Germany.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqMeT_mWKg

The documentary won the prize for addressing “the complex issues that arise when traditional culture is faced with modern development and how that affects young people and their future.” Filmed in northern Bhutan, the documentary not only highlights children’s right to education, but also presents young people themselves trying to affect change for the youth around them.