Discussion

Imagine: you and your friends, passionately discussing an issue – be it the latest news, a new TV show or world peace – in a café, at home or under a tree. Suddenly you look at your watch – you can’t believe it, hours have passed without you noticing it!

Sounds familiar? We’re sure it does.

With the Voices of Youth discussion forum we try to replicate that feeling. Once every few weeks we launch a new hot discussion topic – everyone is invited to join the discussion and exchange their views and opinions. It’s ok to disagree, but stay respectful! Now…what did you want to say?

NEW DISCUSSION: Chasing your dreams

What are the barriers preventing you from achieving your dreams?

Participate

New discussion: Youth Action

Why are young people more inspired by international celebrities than local change makers?

View Debate

New discussion: Vaccines - mandatory or not?

Should parents have the liberty to choose if they want to vaccinate their children, or should it be mandatory?

View Debate

NEW DISCUSSION: Down with our borders?

All borders should be dissolved, no more nation states – do you agree?

View Debate

How are our clothes made?

How to be more aware on the origin of the clothes we wear everyday? Where can we find out more about this?

View Debate

New discussion: Juvenile Justice

In your opinion, what could be a good and efficient alternative to juvenile incarceration?

View Debate

Discussion: Supporting students to succeed

What needs to be done for more students to succeed in school?

View Debate

New discussion: Do politicians take you seriously?

Do you think politicians are serious about young people? What do you think makes them listen?

View Debate

Debate: Men & Gender Equality

How can men support gender equality and avoid discrimination against women?

View Debate

DEBATE: The (bad?) influence of music

Does music with offensive lyrics make young people more aggressive?

View Debate

DEBATE: Young people

Are young people really changing anything?

View Debate

Natural Disasters

Looking at the devastating impact that disasters had in recent years all over the world, do you think that your city/village is properly prepared for a major disaster?

View Debate

NEW DEBATE: Texting and Grammar

Do texting and short message services (SMS) have a negative influence on how young people master their mother tongue language?

View Debate

NEW DEBATE: Responsibility of the international community

The Syrian civil war will soon go into its fourth year and has resulted in an unprecedented amount of casualties. Why do you think the international community has so far not been willing to put a stop to the bloodshed?

View Debate

Freedom of Speech

Does freedom of speech mean that we should be allowed to say anything we want?

View Debate

© VFS Digital Design

DEBATE: Unpaid internships

More and more young people choose to do unpaid internships, hoping that more work experience will increase their value on the job market. In your opinion, is there any value in unpaid internships?

View Debate

© Ryan McGuire

Racism in the 21st century

Racism is a known phenomenon in every country around the world – no society seems to be entirely immune to the problem. Considering that in the past months racist acts of violence have made increased headlines worldwide, do you think that we have made no progress in the struggle against racism?

View Debate

25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child

In the last 25 years, the needs of young people around the world have changed a lot. If you were asked to join the committee drafting the Convention on the Rights of the Child today, what issues would you include as a priority? For your info: If you are not familiar with the Convention o...

View Debate

On Social Media

Are social media increasing or dismantling social ties?

View Debate

Education in Emergencies

How can children/youth continue their education when their community is faced with a major crisis like war, natural disaster or an epidemic?

View Debate

School and Health

Kids & youth spend the majority of their time in school/university, so it is really important that these places should support healthy living. How does/can your school/university help children and young people stay healthy? Find out how to keep yourself healthy in these easy ways

View Debate

About Sports

Many countries spend millions of dollars hosting international sporting events, do you think it helps improve people’s lives?

View Debate

Photo Credits: Fondation 2iE / PMJE

About Water

This debate is offered in partnership with 2iE institute in preparation for the Africa Water Forum in Ouagadougou, June 12-14 2014 What actions can contribute to a better management of water resources? What would you recommend for saving water every day?

View Debate

About Corruption

Should corruption be ended or could it be useful or necessary in certain situations?

View Debate

About the quality of education

We often hear that educational systems around the world have a problem of providing quality education. In your opinion, what are the characteristics or concrete examples of "good" quality education?

View Debate

On Advertising

Should marketing & advertising to children and youth via social media be allowed? WHY?

View Debate

Internet Safety

Restricting access to the Internet, is it the best way to make children and adolescents safer?

View Debate

Syria #NOlostgeneration

The conflict in Syria has been going on for almost 3 years. Everyday, children are missing school and are afraid for their lives. What can we do as individuals and/or organizations to stop this conflict and prevent the loss of a whole generation?

View Debate

© UNICEF/NYHQ2009-2037/PHUONG NGUYEN

Disaster Relief

What is the first and most important thing we should give to a country affected by a natural disaster? (i.e. Food? Money?) (Question inspired by Emilia Tiurma Savira Siahaan)

View Debate

HIV and AIDS

Do you think students should have to make their HIV/AIDS status public in schools?

View Debate

Our Anti-Bullying Debate Question is Inspired from Salman Javed

Bullying has taken many forms and we may experience it in school and/or online. "What are some creative ways we can stop bullying?"

View Debate

The debate question for the next two weeks is from Lydia Muyu

"Exams are society’s methods of telling you what you’re worth. Should we let our exam results decide of our fate or not?"

View Debate

Girls’ Education

In your opinion, what are the most creative and innovative ways to give girls equal access to education?

View Debate

About Violence and the Media

Do you think that violence in the media influences acts of violence in real life?

View Debate

War and Peace

"Sometimes violence is needed to bring peace.” Do you agree with this?

View Debate

About charity

What do you think is more effective: donating to charitable organizations or to a person begging for money on the streets?

View Debate

International Youth Day

“Do you think days like the International Day of Youth are helping to address the challenges that youth face around the world? Yes or no and why do you think so?”

View Debate

© UNICEF/NYHQ2012-0755/SHEHZAD NOORANI

Gender inequality

What are the worst manifestations of gender inequality in your country? How can individuals challenge this phenomenon?

View Debate

School & job market

Do you think that your school is providing you with the adequate skills to be competitive on the job market?

View Debate