SO THERE'S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT?

Posted September 23, 2014 no picture Andrew Jikanza - VOY - Zambia

no picture Andrew Jikanza - VOY - Zambia View Profile

SO THERE’S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT? When I ask people questions regarding climate change I receive many answers; but most of them go along these lines: "it is God who made the Earth he obviously has a plan," or "the earth is probably just changing to prepare us for evolution". Whatever the case Earth is our home and it is our responsibility to maintain it. When dealing with a problem we often need to first identify the problem; in this case the problem is climate change. Climate...

Digital Climate Mapping: My story.

Posted September 22, 2014 no picture Selinah-VOY-Kenya

no picture Selinah-VOY-Kenya View Profile

Participating in the Climate Mapping Exercise was both an amazing and educative experience for me. Taking a walk within the community to capture stories and reports for the digital map made me notice many environmental issues that I had not paid attention to previously. Before receiving the participation confirmation email I imagined that I would work together with other selected participants (as a team). Little did I know that the exercise would take me to a path that I had to...

What do you(th) think about climate change?

Posted September 22, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/climate-map.jpg?w=667&h=400

Source: http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/c...

Tomorrow, an important event is taking place in New York City – one with repercussions far beyond the tiny island of Manhattan. Tomorrow, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host the 2014 Climate Summit, with an important goal – to get everyone behind the plan to address climate change and the effects it will have on us all. But these effects are likely to impact some groups of people more than others – and children and young people are key among them. Not...

Speak out, our Voices Count! My Digital Mapping Experience

Posted September 13, 2014 no picture Maimuna Yusuf Ahmad

no picture Maimuna Yusuf Ahmad View Profile

All these past days of September have been fun for me! Why? Because I have been choosen as a youth mapper! I thought that all I had to do was take pictures and post them online, but no, it's more than that. Because I am not only mapping but I am also enlightening people. Poor refuse disposal. This is the major challenge in my country and in my mapping area (Kano, Nigeria), people tend to dispose refuse in any available space they see due to lack of recycling companies....

DEFORESTATION - WASTED RESOURCES

Posted September 11, 2014 no picture Nancy_VOYMaps_Zambia

no picture Nancy_VOYMaps_Zambia View Profile

Zambia is known to have one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. This is mainly because most of its people depend highly on wood for fuel. Charcoal and timber production are the main causes of deforestation as well as bad farming methods such as the "Chitemen" System also referred to as the 'Slush and Burn' method. This is a case where farmers clear a piece of land by burning, to use for crop production and once the land proves unfertile, it is left bare, exposed and un...

Rubbish Heaps in Industrial Areas in Solwezi

Waste management practices and proper disposal seem to be a challenge in Solwezi district of North-Western Province in Zambia. From rubbish pits at home and piles of paper dumped outside offices and shops to litter thrown out of moving vehicles and heaps of rubbish in the streets. Even though they are sometimes cleared or picked up, it still poses a health hazard for people living or worning near these areas as they act as a host for bacteria and other diseases like cholera. The pr...

Street Water Spraying Program in Solwezi

Solwezi is the capital city of the North-Western Province of Zambia. Due to recent mining and land clearing practices Solwezi's roads have become a huge source of dust. According to research, dust kicked up by vehicles moving on roads makes up to 33% of air pollution. This poses grave danger to children, older people and people suffering from respiratory diseases by affecting their breathing. It also worsens illnesses such as lung disease, asthma, heart diseases and other chronic d...

A tale of tears and tails

Posted September 9, 2014 no picture Areej Riaz

no picture Areej Riaz View Profile

A common but widely ignored predicament is the indifference people show towards animals. Particularly in developing countries where agriculture is the primary industry, livestock and cattle are perceived as means to a better living, not vital to their livelihood. Since most of the rural farming communities in developing world usually live hand to mouth, they do not have enough means to; feed their livestock, treat their injuries and ailments, and have proper saddles and carriag...

The Pure Water Effect

Posted September 3, 2014 no picture Leiya_VOYMaps_Ghana

no picture Leiya_VOYMaps_Ghana View Profile

In Ghana, the common medium used for drinking water is the sachet. Locally called "pure water", these water sachets are the cheapest and safest form of water consumption. Sold by everyone from street hawkers to kiosks, they are accessible to all, and extremely reliable. The expansion of the pure water production industry may be key in helping decrease incidents of water-borne diseases such as cholera. However, this beacon of hope is also digging a grave. A grave for the env...