50 Youth Help UNICEF Visualize “Urgency” in Prototype Media Innovation

Posted October 3, 2013 Avatar Joe @unicefgis

Avatar Joe @unicefgis View Profile

“All kinds of pets, including dogs, cats, birds, etc. are sold here along with meat from butcher shops. The sanitation conditions are horrid and the animals are kept in cruel conditions. Moreover keeping raw meat next to domesticated animals presents a huge sanitation and health issue.” – Aown K., 19 years, World Wildlife Foundation See more photographs in Voices of Youth Urgency Rank Prototype Tester Gallery:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjKaNwM5 How can we measure the urgency of...

Community Mapping in Bhutan

Posted September 25, 2013 no picture Manny Fassihi

no picture Manny Fassihi View Profile

Everywhere we go, we find challenges: waste management, poverty, health issues, corruption, drug abuse, fights. The list goes on. But these challenges are also opportunities for us to act and bring change. In a democracy, we cannot depend on the government to solve all of our problems. In community mapping, we venture out to different communities to discover what challenges, document their stories using digital media and photography, and explore ways to find solutions. From...

What Motivates Voices of Youth Mappers?

Posted September 18, 2013 Avatar Joe @unicefgis

Avatar Joe @unicefgis View Profile

Over the past month youth volunteers from all around the world have been testing UNICEF's new mapping system urgencyrank.unicef-gis.org. Their work is helping improve our ability to innovate and empower more young people as public advocates for the environment. Why did these young people volunteer to help? Here are a few reasons, in the words of the youth mappers themselves. Dhiroj K. from Nepal: “United Nations always vibrates my mind. I was born in a very remote district of...

Media Spotlights Youth Mappers in Brazil

Posted September 12, 2013 Avatar Joe @unicefgis

Avatar Joe @unicefgis View Profile

This week the incredible work of youth mappers in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil has been highlighted by two prestigious media organizations, the BBC and Fast Company. Since August 2011 years over 250 youth mappers have been trained in Brazil by Centro de Promoção da Saúde – CEDAPS (www.cedaps.org.br) with the support of UNICEF. The young people are learning how mobile phones and modified kites rigged with cameras can be innovative tools for reporting environmental risks and hazards....

Calling all youth innovators, UNICEF needs your help!

Posted September 9, 2013 Avatar Joe @unicefgis

Avatar Joe @unicefgis View Profile

If you are between the ages of 18-25, an active social media user, and have a desire to improve the environment in your community and the world please apply to help UNICEF innovate at http://bit.ly/14r8hlZ. If chosen you will join other youth leaders from around the world helping UNICEF develop its new youth civic mapping system. All applications submitted before September 12th, 2013 will be considered, however only those selected will be contacted. During the month of August 25...

Adolescents use smartphones to map and change their community

Posted August 29, 2013 no picture

17 year old Daniela is somewhat of an expert on HIV/AIDS. She knows how the disease is transmitted and how to protect herself, and she shares this information with her friends. Daniela is one of 24 adolescents from the vulnerable neighbourhoods of Cité Plus and Village de Dieu in Port au Prince to have participated in the Voices of Youth Maps initiative. The adolescents mapped HIV risk and vulnerability catalysts in their communities, using smartphones to record the geo-locati...

Discussing the 40 maps that explain the world

Posted August 19, 2013 Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect

Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect View Profile

"Maps can be a remarkably powerful tool for understanding the world and how it works, but they show only what you ask them to." Look at the 40 maps developed by Max Fisher on the Washington Post "World Views" blog last week that use data that is not traditionally mainstreamed... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/12/40-maps-that-explain-the-world/ In the video Max Fisher and two Washington Post foreign correspondents discuss these maps. Let us know wh...

An ‘Urgent’ Call for Voices of Youth Mappers

Posted July 23, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Maps can represent many things – adventure, discovery, a journey, a return home or even a sense of order – but now they are also representing youth empowerment. In 2011 UNICEF staff from New York and Rio de Janeiro, a team of digital innovators, government officials, community leaders and other partners came together on a mission: to train young people to create maps which depicted the social and environmental risks in their surroundings. Two years, 12 communities and two...

Welcome Buenos Aires

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect

Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect View Profile

After the wonderful work and local impact of Voices of Youth Maps in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Port-au-Prince, Haiti, the initiative is embarking to Buenos Aires, Argentina. UNICEF Argentina is partnering with TECHO the leading South and Central American community development NGO focusing on reducing poverty in urban slums through community participation and advocacy. The development of the Voices of Youth Maps mobile application will allow youth mappers to directly participate...