Published no picture Nancy_VOYMaps_Zambia

no picture Nancy_VOYMaps_Zambia

Zambia is known to have one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. This is mainly because most of its people depend highly on wood for fuel. Charcoal and timber production are the main causes of deforestation as well as bad farming methods such as the "Chitemen" System also referred to as the 'Slush and Burn' method. This is a case where farmers clear a piece of land by burning, to use for crop production and once the land proves unfertile, it is left bare, exposed and un...

A tale of tears and tails

Published no picture Areej Riaz

no picture Areej Riaz

A common but widely ignored predicament is the indifference people show towards animals. Particularly in developing countries where agriculture is the primary industry, livestock and cattle are perceived as means to a better living, not vital to their livelihood. Since most of the rural farming communities in developing world usually live hand to mouth, they do not have enough means to; feed their livestock, treat their injuries and ailments, and have proper saddles and carriag...

The Pure Water Effect

Published no picture Leiya_VOYMaps_Ghana

no picture Leiya_VOYMaps_Ghana

In Ghana, the common medium used for drinking water is the sachet. Locally called "pure water", these water sachets are the cheapest and safest form of water consumption. Sold by everyone from street hawkers to kiosks, they are accessible to all, and extremely reliable. The expansion of the pure water production industry may be key in helping decrease incidents of water-borne diseases such as cholera. However, this beacon of hope is also digging a grave. A grave for the env...

Agroforestry Education

Published no picture Achmad_VOYMaps_Indonesia

no picture Achmad_VOYMaps_Indonesia

This year, precisely in February 4-9, 2014 there were four IGAF standing committees which worked together executing an environmental project planned previously. They were Hanny Zuyyinah L, Baskoro Pakusadewo, Achmad Solikhin and Achmad Mustaqim. The project successfully completed entitled Agroforestry Education for CCA and CCM. This project focussed on how to mitigate and adapt climate change through implementing agroforestry system. Agroforestry system is a Climate Smart Agric...

Trash dumped in some areas of Kitwe - Climate Mapping

Published no picture Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia

no picture Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia

From an anti-hill to a trench and finally a man made hill of garbage. Waste disposal is of the major environmental problems that many residents of Kitwe go through, And only a few of the residents know how to manage their waste/garbage. For the past 2 years people of this township have been dumping their garage at this site illegally the images will show the exact location of this dump site in Ipusukilo Township in Kitwe, before this place become a dumping site it was an anti...

We need you to help us map your environment

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member

UPDATE 11 September: We're looking for more mappers to bring child & youth voices to the Climate Summit. To apply submit this form. Do you walk by a pile of garbage every day on the street? Do you breathe the polluted air of your city? If you believe that we should put an end to the deterioration of our planet, make your voice heard. Help us create a global map on the challenges and positive changes that impact our environment. On 23 September 2014, the UN Secre...

Series of Hunger VS TV series in Ramadan

Published no picture Radwa Maher Ali

no picture Radwa Maher Ali

Food is the dream of of some people and it's the least available thing for them. Some people wish for a meal a day consisting half a loaf of bread and cheese, it can be their definition of luxury. In Egypt, in Ramadan 2014, there's a series of advertisements called ''Mosalsal El Goaa'' (Series of Hunger). There's one of those advertisements about aman who searches the "trash" for food to feed his kids (pic.1). And another about 2 brother having turns to eat, each one eats in a da...

I was on the lookout for projects where I would be able to contribute to my society. When I first saw by chance the Lokalizo page online it looked amazing to me. After reading about this project I understood they were looking to increase the awareness of community members, civil society and government about the social issues which affect our community. The best part of the objectives of Lokalizo are to explore ways to empower small groups of citizens or young people to contribute p...

Published Avatar Brikenda Metaj

Avatar Brikenda Metaj

I was amazed when I saw for the first time the Lokalizo page online. After getting to know a little bit more about the project, the idea of becoming part of this project quickly became important to me as I wanted to help out in realizing the goals of the project but also to gather experience in this working environment. After becoming part of the team, I was happy to start learning more about this initiative, especially about how the reports created through the technological to...