Young people are the key to fighting climate change

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

While children are disproportionately affected by climate change and they are the ones who will have to live with its impacts, they are largely left out of the conversation. We believe that it is imperative that the views of children and young people on the issues of climate change and the environment are heard. We wanted to elevate their voices and show what they believe to be the biggest challenges in their communities – and also recognize the positive actions being taken to re...

What do you(th) think about climate change?

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Source: http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/c...

Tomorrow, an important event is taking place in New York City – one with repercussions far beyond the tiny island of Manhattan. Tomorrow, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host the 2014 Climate Summit, with an important goal – to get everyone behind the plan to address climate change and the effects it will have on us all. But these effects are likely to impact some groups of people more than others – and children and young people are key among them. Not just...

We need you to help us map your environment

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/52...

UPDATE 11 September: We're looking for more mappers to bring child & youth voices to the Climate Summit. To apply submit this form. Do you walk by a pile of garbage every day on the street? Do you breathe the polluted air of your city? If you believe that we should put an end to the deterioration of our planet, make your voice heard. Help us create a global map on the challenges and positive changes that impact our environment. On 23 September 2014, the UN Secre...

An ‘Urgent’ Call for Voices of Youth Mappers

Posted Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Maps can represent many things – adventure, discovery, a journey, a return home or even a sense of order – but now they are also representing youth empowerment. In 2011 UNICEF staff from New York and Rio de Janeiro, a team of digital innovators, government officials, community leaders and other partners came together on a mission: to train young people to create maps which depicted the social and environmental risks in their surroundings. Two years, 12 communities and two cou...