What do you(th) think about climate change?

Posted September 22, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/climate-map.jpg?w=667&h=400

Source: http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/c...

Tomorrow, an important event is taking place in New York City – one with repercussions far beyond the tiny island of Manhattan. Tomorrow, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host the 2014 Climate Summit, with an important goal – to get everyone behind the plan to address climate change and the effects it will have on us all. But these effects are likely to impact some groups of people more than others – and children and young people are key among them. Not...

We need you to help us map your environment

Posted August 11, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/524eacaf9ae4c-full.jpeg

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/52...

UPDATE 11 September: We're looking for more mappers to bring child & youth voices to the Climate Summit. To apply submit this form. Do you walk by a pile of garbage every day on the street? Do you breathe the polluted air of your city? If you believe that we should put an end to the deterioration of our planet, make your voice heard. Help us create a global map on the challenges and positive changes that impact our environment. On 23 September 2014, the UN Secre...

Meet our VOY mappers from Buenos Aires!

Posted November 6, 2013 no picture

Buenos Aires is the latest city where young people are taking to the streets with smartphones to map environmental hazards in their community as part of Voices of Youth Maps. Meet Maria and Romina, two of the 20 young people who’ve been trained this past month. Stay tuned to VOY for more updates and follow UNICEF Argentina on Twitter (@UNICEFargentina) Maria E. 18 years old Why did you decide to participate in the project? So that I can show that there are proble...

Adolescents use smartphones to map and change their community

Posted August 29, 2013 no picture

17 year old Daniela is somewhat of an expert on HIV/AIDS. She knows how the disease is transmitted and how to protect herself, and she shares this information with her friends. Daniela is one of 24 adolescents from the vulnerable neighbourhoods of Cité Plus and Village de Dieu in Port au Prince to have participated in the Voices of Youth Maps initiative. The adolescents mapped HIV risk and vulnerability catalysts in their communities, using smartphones to record the geo-locati...

Discussing the 40 maps that explain the world

Posted August 19, 2013 Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect

Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect View Profile

"Maps can be a remarkably powerful tool for understanding the world and how it works, but they show only what you ask them to." Look at the 40 maps developed by Max Fisher on the Washington Post "World Views" blog last week that use data that is not traditionally mainstreamed... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/12/40-maps-that-explain-the-world/ In the video Max Fisher and two Washington Post foreign correspondents discuss these maps. Let us know wh...

An ‘Urgent’ Call for Voices of Youth Mappers

Posted July 23, 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Maps can represent many things – adventure, discovery, a journey, a return home or even a sense of order – but now they are also representing youth empowerment. In 2011 UNICEF staff from New York and Rio de Janeiro, a team of digital innovators, government officials, community leaders and other partners came together on a mission: to train young people to create maps which depicted the social and environmental risks in their surroundings. Two years, 12 communities and two...

Welcome Buenos Aires

Posted May 22, 2013 Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect

Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect View Profile

After the wonderful work and local impact of Voices of Youth Maps in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Port-au-Prince, Haiti, the initiative is embarking to Buenos Aires, Argentina. UNICEF Argentina is partnering with TECHO the leading South and Central American community development NGO focusing on reducing poverty in urban slums through community participation and advocacy. The development of the Voices of Youth Maps mobile application will allow youth mappers to directly participate...

The Rio Experience

Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect View Profile

A youth-led digital mapping project has been running in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil since 2011 and is still having a large positive impact on the “mapped” communities. The themes explored included sanitation and accumulation of garbage. This video, produced by BemTV with support from the community partner CEDAPS, is a recap of the two-year project in 11 Favelas in Rio. The mapping project model has been an inspiration for the Safe and Sustainable Cities initiative (UN Habitat & UN Women) focu...