Welcome back from Sendai...virtually!

Published Avatar ZaynVOY

Avatar ZaynVOY

After one month of intense mapping by more than 100 young people from all over the world around the issue of disaster risk reduction, I am excited to see how amazing the Voices of Youth climate digital map is today. Once the mapping process was done, we made it our main mission to bring the voices of the youth mappers to the youth forum held in parallel to the world conference on disaster risk reduction in Sendai, Japan. Considering that none of us was able to attend physically, I...

Climate Mappers Needed!

Published Avatar ZaynVOY

Avatar ZaynVOY

We're looking for more mappers to bring child & youth voices to the Sendai Conference. To apply submit this form by Friday, February 20th, 2015. Last September some of you helped us create a digital map showing the challenges and the positive actions taken around the world to address environmental issues. This year we would like to expand this map and tackle the impact of disasters on our communities. Has your neighborhood ever been flooded by heavy rain? Do you s...

What do you(th) think about climate change?

Published Avatar VOY team member, KateVOY

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/climate-map.jpg?w=667&h=400

Source: http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/c...

Tomorrow, an important event is taking place in New York City – one with repercussions far beyond the tiny island of Manhattan. Tomorrow, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host the 2014 Climate Summit, with an important goal – to get everyone behind the plan to address climate change and the effects it will have on us all. But these effects are likely to impact some groups of people more than others – and children and young people are key among them. Not...

We need you to help us map your environment

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/524eacaf9ae4c-full.jpeg

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/52...

UPDATE 11 September: We're looking for more mappers to bring child & youth voices to the Climate Summit. To apply submit this form. Do you walk by a pile of garbage every day on the street? Do you breathe the polluted air of your city? If you believe that we should put an end to the deterioration of our planet, make your voice heard. Help us create a global map on the challenges and positive changes that impact our environment. On 23 September 2014, the UN Secre...

Meet our VOY mappers from Buenos Aires!

Published no picture

Buenos Aires is the latest city where young people are taking to the streets with smartphones to map environmental hazards in their community as part of Voices of Youth Maps. Meet Maria and Romina, two of the 20 young people who’ve been trained this past month. Stay tuned to VOY for more updates and follow UNICEF Argentina on Twitter (@UNICEFargentina) Maria E. 18 years old Why did you decide to participate in the project? So that I can show that there are proble...

17 year old Daniela is somewhat of an expert on HIV/AIDS. She knows how the disease is transmitted and how to protect herself, and she shares this information with her friends. Daniela is one of 24 adolescents from the vulnerable neighbourhoods of Cité Plus and Village de Dieu in Port au Prince to have participated in the Voices of Youth Maps initiative. The adolescents mapped HIV risk and vulnerability catalysts in their communities, using smartphones to record the geo-locati...

Discussing the 40 maps that explain the world

Published Avatar ZaynVOY

Avatar ZaynVOY

"Maps can be a remarkably powerful tool for understanding the world and how it works, but they show only what you ask them to." Look at the 40 maps developed by Max Fisher on the Washington Post "World Views" blog last week that use data that is not traditionally mainstreamed... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/12/40-maps-that-explain-the-world/ In the video Max Fisher and two Washington Post foreign correspondents discuss these maps. Let us know wh...

An ‘Urgent’ Call for Voices of Youth Mappers

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Maps can represent many things – adventure, discovery, a journey, a return home or even a sense of order – but now they are also representing youth empowerment. In 2011 UNICEF staff from New York and Rio de Janeiro, a team of digital innovators, government officials, community leaders and other partners came together on a mission: to train young people to create maps which depicted the social and environmental risks in their surroundings. Two years, 12 communities and two...

Welcome Buenos Aires

Published Avatar ZaynVOY

Avatar ZaynVOY

After the wonderful work and local impact of Voices of Youth Maps in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Port-au-Prince, Haiti, the initiative is embarking to Buenos Aires, Argentina. UNICEF Argentina is partnering with TECHO the leading South and Central American community development NGO focusing on reducing poverty in urban slums through community participation and advocacy. The development of the Voices of Youth Maps mobile application will allow youth mappers to directly participate...

The Rio Experience

Published Avatar ZaynVOY

Avatar ZaynVOY

A youth-led digital mapping project has been running in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil since 2011 and is still having a large positive impact on the “mapped” communities. The themes explored included sanitation and accumulation of garbage. This video, produced by BemTV with support from the community partner CEDAPS, is a recap of the two-year project in 11 Favelas in Rio. The mapping project model has been an inspiration for the Safe and Sustainable Cities initiative (UN Habitat & UN Women) focu...