What it's Like to Live with a Rare Disease

Posted Avatar Onnolee Brown , College Student

Avatar College Student
Onnolee Brown

1 million people worldwide know how I feel. 1 in 6,000 newborns know it to. Before I was nine years old, I was a little girl running around, acting silly and then suddenly everything changed. When I started having "day dreams" and forgetting what had happened, and where I was, is when my parents knew something was up. So they had me tested, and during an EEG, I had one of those episodes, and right away the doctors knew it was seizures. I was diagnosed with Partial Complex Seizures,...

"We will give him a family"

Posted no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

Dear President Obama, Remember the boy who was picked up by the ambulance in Syria? Can you please go get him and bring him to [my home]? Park in the driveway or on the street and we will be waiting for you guys with flags, flowers, and balloons. We will give him a family and he will be our brother. Catherine, my little sister, will be collecting butterflies and fireflies for him. In my school, I have a friend from Syria, Omar, and I will introduce him to Omar. We can all play...

The Shadows Stalking Society

Posted Avatar Richa Gupta , Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine

Avatar Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine
Richa Gupta

In a previous post of mine, I had written about the power of poetry in initiating social change. The third issue of my online literary magazine, Moledro Magazine, was released a week ago, on the theme ‘The Shadows Stalking Society’. Given my belief that poetry is an incredibly powerful vehicle to social and environmental change, I thought it necessary that the third issue contained a few poems and stories representative of this opinion. In this post, I’d like to share excer...

Save Her

Posted no picture Destiny Faye van Rooyen

no picture Destiny Faye van Rooyen

Drowning... drowning... drowning. She realised - she is going to die. No, her life is not being lost because she jumped into waters too deep. It is her soul, being suffocated by those around her forcing her to be someone that she's not. Misfit. Rebel. Black sheep. All words some might use to describe her. But I don't think she's any of those things. I think she's just a girl, plagued by her thoughts. She doesn't allow the intricacies of her beautiful yet dangerous mind to be seen...

Labels

Posted no picture piafleig

no picture piafleig

We are sitting at the corner of the supermarket in town. People are passing us by and stare at us as we wait for a friend. My back is leaning against that grey window-less building and my friends talk about Germany. We share grapes and energy drinks and I feel a little bit like a gangster, because I wouldn’t usually be one of “the kids of the block” who would have nothing to do but to sit there and joke about life. At least I must make the impression like I am one. Even whe...

What we need to do

Posted no picture Malika Saxena , UNICEF

no picture UNICEF
Malika Saxena

As a global citizen, I keep myself informed. I know about the horrors of our world and what efforts have been made to assist. I have kept in touch with our world of politics and I know that filth exists. I have also tried to be ignorant because they say it is bliss, but I can no longer be ignorant because ignorance is for cowards - cowards who fear the truth. And I am not scared. I am angry. I am angry because for the first time in my life, I have understood what I have known for...

It is the first day of Mubashir at a reputable university of his country. He has been selected in an engineering program. He has traveled all the way from lower Punjab to absorb education at a standard university of Islamabad. Walking towards the gate, he thinks about his hard work which landed him a spot in his field. He thinks about his parents, whom he’ll miss in his hostel days. And he thinks about his future. What will happen? As he crosses past the gate with these perturb...

Turning The Last Page

Posted Avatar Enana Hermez , Writer

Avatar Writer
Enana Hermez

There’s a special atmosphere that reading a novel creates. An atmosphere that makes it possible for me to go through every emotion I encounter in the pages, and to feel a sense of belonging as if I’m one (or more) of the characters. Life Is a Novel To me, being alive is a lot like reading. Every adventure is a new chapter in this novel we call life. And after every chapter I grieve a little, because it feels like saying goodbye to someone I love or leaving home. I inst...

Happiness

Posted Avatar Niken Afifah , Student

Niken Afifah

A lot of our unhappiness comes from the feeling of not belonging. But even when we are accepted, we don’t necessarily belong. True happiness has to come from outside of the desire to belong. There is happiness in silence and solitude. There is happiness in being thankful for what you have. There is happiness in relationship with God. This is not always easy to see. And for those who are not used to it, it is not easy to understand. Most of our happiness comes from within. Thi...

VOY across the world