Being a Muslim girl in America

Posted no picture Najma Darwish , Student

Najma Darwish

My name is Najma Darwish, I’m 14 years old and I have many titles, writer, daughter, friend, Somali, American and most importantly, Muslim.I was born and raised in America and have seen Islamophobia first hand. Being a teenage girl in this era of America has not been easy. I’ve been called many names and wouldn’t find the time to write each and every single one of them.I go to school were I am the only girl who wears the hijab, I sometimes see this as a burden and not as being unique. I see my f...

Canada is developing its feminist international assistance policy

Posted Avatar Jasmin Lilian Diab , Author and Researcher

Avatar Author and Researcher
Jasmin Lilian Diab

Interesting enough, Canada has shocked the international community once more, viewing its development interests and its very notion and understanding of “development” from an entirely new angle.“Focusing Canada’s international assistance on the full empowerment of women and girls is the most effective way for our international assistance to make a difference in the world. Sustainable development, peace and growth that works for everyone are not possible unless women and girls are valued and empo...

Cuba

Posted no picture Vanessa Tasé , Student

Vanessa Tasé

I am a storyteller From where the palm trees dance rumba with the wind And the deep Caribbean waters touch my skin and make me tremble I am a storyteller Born from a star in the night sky And a ray of sunshine The one that broke darkness at dawn I am the fruit of the forbidden tree And I’m temptation hidden in the mango leaves I am a storyteller One of many who passed on their songs And poems And once upon a times And stories too I am the rich soil that housed the sweetest sweets And the b...

Children of war

Posted no picture Kiara , Student

Kiara

Life has become a burden for many children around the world, when they wake up in the morning they are not met with happiness. The hope in their eyes have faded away, they do not know if today is their last day or if they will ever see their families again. These are the many children of war. The children that are robbed of their youth and their rights are so innocent, yet that does not matter. Education has stopped for many of them as there are minimal schools left in the land they once called...

Climate believers

Posted Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui , Human | Translator | Writer | Climate Activist | World Peace Advocate | World Citizen

Avatar Human | Translator | Writer | Climate Activist | World Peace Advocate | World Citizen
Imen Al-Nighaoui

Covering your eyes with your own hands and living in total darkness doesn’t mean that the light does not exist. When world leaders are denying climate change reports and working on abolishing confirmed truths, it is not only a disrespect to activists and scientists’ efforts to mitigate climate change but it, also, puts the life of the future generation in jeopardy. While thousands of people are fighting for their lives in the face of sever weather cases, people in power are still debating the m...

The secret university life

Posted no picture Kiara , Student

Kiara

During the three years I have been on campus it was not just studying psychology.I studied the lives of different students.I observed how they would do anything just to be able to study.This realization hit me when I saw my fellow students literally sleeping on campus.This was their only means of accommodation.Education is a right and so is shelter.

Behind the scenes of teen treatment

Posted no picture Patrick Berndt , Student

Patrick Berndt

For parents of struggling teens, residential treatment centers seem to be an increasingly popular option. Children who have problems with addiction, depression, and emotional issues can be sent to treatment programs that promise safety and a solution to the child’s problems. Often times, the transfer into treatment is involuntary and most children are taken into custody and taken to the treatment center by transportation services known to treatment kids as “goons”. This is how my journey into tr...

I don’t feel scared talking about my status openly in Ukraine. If you are alone, of course, it is scary, but if you have people around you who support you and understand you, it’s not scary at all. Each person needs acceptance and I am lucky that many people accept me.I was lucky at the early stages of forming my openness about the disease. If I was bullied at school for it, for example, maybe I would have a completely different attitude about my openness now. I was always lucky with the people...

Learning in the 21st Century

Posted no picture Isaac igie , Writer, Student,

no picture Writer, Student,
Isaac igie

Learning is an everyday process for humans and it is critical to an education. The process in which learning occurs is through adequate communication of information. Schools play a vital role in the transmission of information which lays the foundation for learning. As we all know the world is evolving and times are changing, so is the way of learning. The way information was passed on in the early days differs from now in this so called “Digital age”. Because of the gift of the internet and g...

VOY across the world