Praises for a local hero: Benjamin Adekunle

Posted September 27, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

As the world celebrated the International Day of Peace on September 21, I found myself thinking about soldiers and the dangerously volatile conditions they work in. With the spate of attacks in different parts of the world, they have to confront this as a normal working environment, uncertain of the outcome. What’s more? Troops are now being deployed to fight deadly Ebola. As I began to feel deep appreciation for soldiers, I sought to find out about Brig.-Gen Benjamin Ad...

Inspirational Quotes

Posted September 27, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

1. The man who waits for things to turn up has his eyes fixed on his toes. (Creswell Mac Laughlin) 2. The mind by passion, driven from its hold, becomes a feather to each wind that blows. (William Shakespeare) 3. Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. (Martin Luther King Jr.) 4. Strength doesn’t come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. (M.K Gandhi) 5. Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. ( Confucius) 6. T...

Make coffee. Not war

Posted September 26, 2014 Avatar Oksana Hirchak

Avatar Oksana Hirchak View Profile

Lviv is one of the most beautiful cities of Ukraine. It is very attractive because of great architecture and history, and there are also a lot of events which unite people and give them pleasure. Lviv is known as the coffee capital of Ukraine. There is even a festival dedicated to the aromatic beverage. This event was founded in 2007, and thus this September we had the eighth feast. Coffee is a hug in a mug. (Author Unknown) The purpose of the charity art project "Make coff...

In Sierra Leone youth are helping fight Ebola

Posted September 25, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://imgur.com/Wn9niN1.jpg

Source: http://i.imgur.com/Wn9niN1.jpg

He’s may only be 20 years old, but Alusine Bangura, is of the young people helping in the fight against Ebola in Sierra Leone. Alusine was one more than 28,000 volunteers deployed around the country between 19 and 21 September, on a three-day house-to-house information campaign. The campaign aimed to 1.5 million households with life-saving messages about this dreadful disease. During the house-to-house visits, Alusine explains to a family in the eastern Waterloo area how Eb...

Development – is it controversial?

Posted September 25, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

In Sri Lanka, we suffered from the atrocities and grieved over losses in a civil war that lasted 3 decades. But Sri Lankans were fortunate to see the end of this conflict in the year 2009, owing to the sacrifices made by our armed forces and the bold stance of anti-terrorism of our policy makers. Five years after the war, the Sri Lankan government is investing heavily in reconciliation, rebuilding and development. We're increasingly focusing on beautification of cities; getting rid...

IT's MY WORLD...

Posted September 24, 2014 no picture Nancy Saili

no picture Nancy Saili View Profile

You know how in those alien invasion movies like "transformers" how aliens can just create a new home on another planet when their own planet is dying out? Well I wish I could say the same for us. We can't just up and go to Mars and set camp there and act like Earth never existed. As much as I hate to admit, we only have this one Earth, this one home. And if it crumbles, so will we. What we are doing right now is creating a world that will not save us. We are robbing tomor...

I am the change I want

Posted September 24, 2014 no picture diana kagwiria

no picture diana kagwiria View Profile

I first set foot in Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, in 2008 when I came to begin my college education. Life in the city was quite different from what I was used to in the village. For me, a city was supposed to be a better place than my village but then the reality on the ground was opposite. Heavy human and vehicle traffic pissed me off; but the worst was to come from garbage that lay along the roads and the estates. When the rain fell, the wastage would block the drainage s...

Memories of Ogoni Prepare us for Future Battles

Posted September 24, 2014 no picture Cadmus Atake-E

no picture Cadmus Atake-E View Profile

Reported by Cadmus Atake, Zaid Shopeju and Oluwafunmilayo Oyatogun It is commonly said that what a man can do, a woman can do better, but in the case of Ogoni the women seem to have been relegated to the back burner for too long. Ogoniland has become the poster child for environmental problems in Nigeria, especially as a result of unscrupulous extraction activities of multinational corporations. So, even though the women of Ogoni were well aware of the problems surrounding...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumblr

Posted September 23, 2014 no picture CallieKGpost2015

no picture CallieKGpost2015 View Profile

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr! These sites will give updates on the Post-2015 Development Agenda from a child rights perspective. In July, the UN System released a report that was essentially a “first draft” of the future Post-2015 Development Agenda and which will be what governments use to negotiate on for the official Agenda next fall. The UNICEF Post-2015 social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr will b...