Forced marriages on the rise in the time of Ebola

Posted Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International View Profile

Posted by Christiana, Plan youth blogger 21 November 2014: My name is Christiana. I am 17 years old. I live in a small village in the Moyamba District in southern Sierra Leone. I lost my father when I was a baby and my mother is a petty trader. I have experienced issues affecting girls’ rights to education because I was forced into marriage. I want to be a voice to tackle forced marriage in Sierra Leone and the world. I dropped out of school twice: when I was 7 years old...

We will not give up !

Posted Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui View Profile

A bullet and a gun can end someone's life but death will not make us weak. I was in the hall of the Tunisian Parliament, when a security officer screamed " Stay away from the windows someone opened fire at the Bardo museum " Still, I couldn't believe that what I am hearing is true, again for a second I thought that there was a mistake and those sounds coming from the vicinity of the ancient Ottoman campus are an illusion, I tried to convince myself that what I am hearing is...

Restricted Freedom

Posted no picture Zahra Biabani

no picture Zahra Biabani View Profile

The first amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America states the right to have freedom of speech and freedom of the press. These two principles are followed strictly in America and other countries with democracy or a democratic republic as a government. Not all countries have this type of government, thus creating major conflicts, as America and other countries are ardent about defending their citizens’ rights to publish and write freely, while other countries h...

The Hype over Vitamins

Posted Avatar Shivani Gupta

Avatar Shivani Gupta View Profile

More than half of American adults take a dietary supplement every day as society becomes dependent on vitamins to sustain its unhealthy lifestyle. However, numerous journals, studies, and experiments are showing that vitamins are actually detrimental to human health. As Dr. Darwin Deen, clinical professor in the department of family medicine in New York, says, “People are looking for help with what they believe is a problem but are trying to solve it the wrong way.” A healthy d...

Viewing Feminism as He for She

Posted Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante View Profile

The belief that men and women are equal is the true definition of feminism. In our society, feminism has been defined as women believing that they are the "supreme sex". The goal behind this movement has been compromised because so many have chosen to abide by this norm. Feminism has been viewed as a women's issue and not as something that concerns both sexes. It has been degraded to the point where many feminists are ridiculed for being radical, aggressive, unattractive or ev...

Stop. Don’t fall. We have a journey to pursue.

Posted Avatar Yosr Jouini

Avatar Yosr Jouini View Profile

I’m not sure whether it’s a request or a simple truth. But I’m sure it’s the only possibility for my people and for the whole world. Whether it’s Tunisia, France, Denmark, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Yemen and the list is long, we’re all concerned when it comes to terrorism. This cruelty shocked all of us and we all had this moment of despair questioning where all this hate comes from. But remember what Mahatma Gandhi once said: "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is...

A book of life?

Posted Avatar Francisca Lily

Avatar Francisca Lily View Profile

I apologise for this kind of post as it is not very typical! I am currently surrounded by notebooks and I am currently finishing off a presentation that I have coming up. Through all of this in the back of my mind I am thinking about the next academic year. Next year will be my last year in university and I am soon to apply for postgraduate course. I feel that there are many points to take into consideration, I am not sure whether I should pick another subject that will enabl...

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF HAPPINESS- Lessons to Learn

Posted Avatar Maurice Eze

Avatar Maurice Eze View Profile

All around the world, the 20th of March is being dedicated to celebrate 'Happiness' every year. The International Day of Happiness was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 28 June 2012 as a special day to observe 'Happiness' in an appropriate manner which includes but is not limited to education, public awareness-raising activities. The International Day of Happiness initiative was derived from the kingdom of Bhutan, a landlocked principality in the Himalayas...

Name: Anthea Laurence Age: 18 As a young islander you seem close to the small island developing state cause, tell us about your letter, and your role in the consultation. As an islander living in a SIDS, I stay well ahead with developments. In 2012, my English teacher came with this paper and asks us to participate in this essay competition held by The Living Rainforest in UK entitled Dear Mr UN Secretary General. I wrote my letter on Climate Change which was a major for...

VOY across the world