How to Define Your Beautiful Name

Posted Avatar Anggelina Purnama , Blogger; Chemistry Student; Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Avatar Blogger; Chemistry Student; Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Anggelina Purnama

I’ve thought a lot about how my name came about. And, just like many other people have asked, I also had the same question, “Why is Anggel, not Angel?”Yes, Anggel seems a little bit strange. There are ‘double g’ there. But, I realize that what makes my name different.“Is there any problem with your name?” I asked myself. Yes. Sometimes, my name is written incorrectly on certificates. But this decreased as I entered my university. Maybe, in the remote area where my hometown is, peop...

The umpteenth try to learn how to live

Posted no picture midnightmess02 , Student

midnightmess02

Once upon a time, in a castle surrounded by a very deep wood, a princess was living her life between her courtiers.She spent her day mostly doing nothing because in that castle there wasn’t anything to do.No books to read, no music to play, no dreams, no paintings, no trips through the woods around the castle, no interest in anything, only the appearance of a fake life made of social relations between equals.Now is this a life worth living? Is this the accomplishment of the purpose of a life?W...

Why Environmental Ethics ?

Posted Avatar Niranjan Dev Bharadwaj , Student

Niranjan Dev Bharadwaj
https://courses.mak.ac.ug/sites/default/files/styles/course_preview/public/tree.jpg?itok=RyIler0y

In today’s world, one of the most fundamental issues that we face and deal with is balancing, adjusting and maintaining the relationship between us humans and nature.We must understand that human beings are not the only creatures that inhabit the Earth. We co-inhabit Earth along with millions other species. Humans must also realize that we are the only self-reflective and deliberative moral agents. So, our actions and everything that we do generally have implications that directly or indirectl...

The Last of the Giants

Posted Avatar Katie Baxter , Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern

Avatar Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern
Katie Baxter

“If a tree falls in a forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it make a sound?”Yes, it does.Just because you didn’t hear the giant structure come crashing to the ground, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. You may be oblivious to it, but it took place.Just like how being oblivious to the true scale that deforestation is occurring around our planet doesn’t mean it’s not occurring.You may not have heard the impact of 15 billion trees last year falling to the ground, but they fell none...

She's Come Undone

Posted Avatar Juana S. , Writer, VOY Climate and Environment Blogging Intern, Climate Advocate

Avatar Writer, VOY Climate and Environment Blogging Intern, Climate Advocate
Juana S.

She came into the universe like a bare canvas,Yearning to be so much more than what she was.She craved for pencil marks drawn on the surface of her skin,Brush strokes and paint splatters in the spaces between.Perfectly blended, smeared and splashed,A play of pastel, bright and dark hues unfolded.She delightfully beamed at the kaleidoscopic image being created,With the sun, moon and stars as her witnesses.The universe clothed her with abundant flora and fauna,So copious that the evolution of mere...

TRIGGER WARNING

Posted no picture Kelepi Baba

no picture Kelepi Baba

Trigger WarningThe following text may make some people mildly uneasy, somewhat on edge or nervous to some extent. If you are someone who finds themselves easily like the afore mentioned, please continue to read because this blog is meant exactly for you.University is one of the most vibrant, exciting places I’ve ever been to. There is something fundamentally exhilarating about the huge adult step of arriving for your first day at “uni”. I sat in lectures feeling like I was in a movie, eage...

Finding my religion and/or beliefs

Posted Avatar Caitlin Arianne❤️ , Dancer

Avatar Dancer
Caitlin Arianne❤️

I've been looking for my religion or my beliefs or if I even have any, for a while now. I don't know what I am, who I am, and I don't know when or if I will. And in order to do so I need to be educated, before making the decision. I've gone to family members, and friends, I've talked with them about it, and I've gone to their churches.... Yet I don't know if I believe in anything as of now. Or if I do and don't realize it.Sometimes I really feel like I believe in something, maybe something highe...

The notion of 'the one'

Posted no picture Susan Christine

no picture Susan Christine

The other day I was getting cosy and ready to binge on Being Mary Jane. Anyone familiar with this show is aware of the undeniable talent of the protagonist Gabrielle Union-Wade, but what I look forward to, though, is the opening quote, which always tends to resonate with me. This time luck was on my side and Robert Frost (my all-time favourite poet) was quoted: 'Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibility desired.' Just then my Snapchat went off at the same time as my WhatsApp. We can a...

Earth's Last Request

Posted Avatar Leah Davidson , Blogging Intern

Avatar Blogging Intern
Leah Davidson

Dear ______,When you were little, I used to watch you from afar. I watched you learn about me. You were so fascinated, so curious. Your eyes would widen in excitement as you chased a dragonfly through the fields and skipped stones across the pond. Your tiny footsteps left their imprint in the earthy veins of my heart. As you grew up, you had such big dreams. Instead of camping outside and roasting dinner over an open fire, you saw other people staying at fancy resorts with gourmet chefs and gre...

VOY across the world