WOMEN AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Posted July 27, 2014 Avatar priya verma

Avatar priya verma View Profile

Technology is a boon to women. Education has changed the lives of women, but technology has improved the lives of women. Internet, mobile phones, radio, computers and television have brought a revolution in women’s life. Their live are not limited to household chores. Now they re aware of the global happenings and even staying and working at homes. E- Learning is flexible and changed the way of education in the world. One can now learn while staying at homes. The Internet has...

Consumption of Fossil Fuel and Its Impact on Global Climate Change

Posted July 27, 2014 Avatar priya verma

Avatar priya verma View Profile

From the beginning of human history, we had to satisfy our energy needs for food, heat and movement by using our own muscle power and gathering or hunting naturally available plants, animals and wood. Each stage in the evolution of human society the development of farming, domestication of animals, harnessing of wind and water power increased the average per capita energy use, but it was the Industrial Revolution and the exploitation of fossil fuels which marked the transformation of societies i...

Because it’s ours

Posted July 26, 2014 no picture mariana yepes

no picture mariana yepes View Profile

When I think of our world, I think about all the people who have suffered, people who wake up every day uncertain about their future; People who didn’t even have the chance to meet their families or whose relatives were taken away from their hands. I think about pain, about all we’ve been through as a community, and about how people still stand up every day and fight, for their lives, for their needs, but most of all, for their rights. I think of them and I want to do something...

Refugees in Hong Kong

Posted July 26, 2014 Avatar Grace O

Avatar Grace O View Profile

In Hong Kong, I believe that refugees are a group that require much more help. The UN defines a refugee as “a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster”. Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "everyone has the right to seek and enjoy asylum abroad from persecution." However, whilst Hong Kong is a signatory to the convention against torture (which has led to hundreds of asylum claims...

Sweet like Shuga!

Posted July 26, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

One component of my To-watch list I never really get to check out is Shuga. Shuga is a soap opera by MTV Networks Africa in association with the MTV Staying Alive Foundation and other partners to create awareness about HIV, AIDS and responsible sexual behaviour. It airs in seasons and episodes so it would be around for a while. As soon as I got the news that the second season of Shuga Naija had been released, I could not wait a moment to get watching. Shuga Naija is the adapted...

The day I signed the Declaration of Equalities.

Posted July 20, 2014 Avatar Mariana G

Avatar Mariana G View Profile

I don't think at the time I truly understood the importance of what was happening that day in Seneca Falls, NY. I was in 1840s dress, My Mom was portraying Elizabeth Cady Stanton, And there was a declaration to be signed. It was Convention Days 2014. I met Nadia Shahram who was leading a movement for Muslim women. After my Mom (as Elizabeth Cady Stanton) read the Declaration of Sentiments, Nadia and the other leaders of her group read the Declaration of Equalities. It was pow...

The Nature of Womanhood

Posted July 26, 2014 no picture Victor Brown Omovbude

no picture Victor Brown Omovbude View Profile

I learnt from my "Women Weave the Web" page, how young ladies from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Japan and other parts of the world join forces to affect the life of women in all endeavours. Also, the AWID, a non governmental organization, in South Africa, portrays the notion of feminism. I remember, when my mum stood behind me, when I came home with a cut on my head. Although I had caused the fight, she stood behind me no matter what. That is the trait of mothers today, to advocate. Every Mother will do t...

GIRLS -- RIGHTS and VALUES

Girls have rights -- like the right to Quality Education, Health Services, Good Food and Socioeconomic benefits, as well as Values. Yesterday at my intern station, I watched a program where in the northern part of Nigeria, 35% of teenagers and young ladies go through hard labour, suffer to feed, have no quality education and no comfortable bed to lay their heads. Teenage girls also have children from poor homes. Values make us outstanding. It amalgamates us to the essential traits of life and a...

Why Not Be A Feminist ?

The world is occupied by men and women who strive to attain a height. In my everyday life, i have tried my best to affect, influence and sympathize with youths -- mostly girls. I don't know what made me stand for the right of girls, but i believe that there's a need for it. Or perhaps, it was due to my best friend untimely and unwanted pregnancy, at 16. Today, although i have no youth-led group, but i am proud to be a Feminist. Because every girls right is IMPORTANT, NECESSARY and WORTHWHILE. Mo...