Do you think about the hands that made your clothes?

Posted no picture Jvanb2 , College Student

no picture College Student
Jvanb2

When you get a new pair of shoes or article of clothing, do you ever think about whose hands have made them? Do you know that cotton is the second biggest crop produced internationally after sugar cane, to have the most child and forced labor (1)? Child labor is the act of using underage children to work in inhumane conditions, that results in the violation of their human rights. Children can be working in factories, sweatshops, out in the fields, in the mines and more. As long a...

Human dignity and freedom in a multi-cultural, multi-religious world

Posted Avatar Yvonne Wabai , Student, Writer, Scientist, Kenya's Ambassador to Tunza Eco-Generation and W.Y.A. member.

Avatar Student, Writer, Scientist, Kenya's Ambassador to Tunza Eco-Generation and W.Y.A. member.
Yvonne Wabai

A few days ago, I had to submit an assignment - an essay- on how the correct understanding of a human person’s freedom is essential to the proper functioning of a multi-cultural, multi-religious society. After sifting through a lot of required texts and other texts and a lot of thinking, this is what I came up with. The world is a melting pot of many different cultures and religions. The current world population stands at approximately seven billion, with more than 5000 diffe...

A journey of our friendship

Posted Avatar Sreymom Oy , MSc in Community Nutrition

Avatar MSc in Community Nutrition
Sreymom Oy

Things do not happen the way we want them to. And that has been exactly what happened to our friendship. We have known each other since grade 9, but we studied in different schools. Accidentally, we happened to study in the same university and took some classes together in the freshman year regardless of major. After our first year, you left to country X and I chose to study in another distant country, Y for our undergraduate. Little did I know how to survive in foreign land! I...

How Exercise Reduces Stress

Posted Avatar Elio Mouhanna , Student

Elio Mouhanna

Midterms are coming up and you have other assignments to worry about. You cannot seem to manage your time, so you start panicking. How will you handle academic stress without failing? Why not take a quick trip to the gym to perform better at university? When students transition from school to university, stress multiplies dramatically. An article posted in the blog section of Odyssey, an educational website, states that students expect excellence from themselves. They want to b...

Trivial pursuits

Posted no picture C.L

Social justice Living for the weekend when you don't have to go to school Living for the moment hoping you'll survive till tomorrow Going over to friends houses who have funny tasting water Walking for hours to get fresh water Fighting with friends over petty things, that you look back at and can't remember why you fought Having to grow up with one parent because the other one is away fighting for freedom Petty things Perilous things Both occupy the mind,...

A Gaping Hole in a Child's Right to Education

Posted no picture Renee , Student

Renee

Children are the world’s most precious resource. They are our future leaders, future doctors, and future teachers, and should have the guaranteed right to an education regardless of race, color, sex, language, religion, political opinion, ethnic, social origin, or disability. Yet, according to the Global Partnership for Education, children with disabilities remain the most excluded and discriminated against because of their disability (n.d.) The link between disabilities and...

Children with disabilities and social security

Posted no picture Elsa Gonzalez

no picture Elsa Gonzalez

One of the most complicated issues regarding human rights has to do with not developing children and youth with permanent disabilities, who receive social security. Not developing these children and youth is a problem because many of them may never have the chance to live normal lives. I believe that many social workers think that connecting them to have social security is enough. However, it’s not. Social workers have a job in taking care of those people that are mentally di...

The Perks of Being a Climate Digital Mapper.

Posted Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui , Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist

Avatar Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist
Imen Al-Nighaoui

Climate Change is one of the most crucial yet dismissed issues in some parts of the world. Maybe its the lack of awareness about the importance of our local environment and the impacts of our actions on earth are the reasons behind this ignorance. Caring about profits and annual turnovers more than caring about our livelihood, is one reason behind neglecting Climate Change. However, many people around the world are working hard to mitigate this phenomenon; through sensitizing peopl...

The story of 'my' life

Posted Avatar Shivam Singhal , Student

Shivam Singhal

And finally, this Sun is about to set. Ages lived are on the threshold of completion; My story, as it seems to Me, has come to a close. And moments of introspection have made Me realize My role in this drama that I had to enact; a drama with elements that were most important for My story. Practically, elements that I devoted My life to. It’s the story of My life, and yes, I’m not regretful about being it’s Villain! A ‘small room’ with a creaking fan, a materialistically...

VOY across the world