If I Were Prime Minister

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

In Grade 12 I was voted “Most Likely to Become Prime Minister” by my peers. While I have no current aspirations to enter Canadian politics, I can, for certain, say that I would do things differently than our current leader. From investing in the futures of Canada’s youth, to fully investigating the numerous cases of missing and murdered aboriginal women, to committing to reducing fossil fuels and the effects of climate change, to advancing women’s ability to choose and...

The World's Superpowers

Published Avatar Itumeleng Mphure , Ms

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

It has been said that every hundred years a new country emerges as a superpower to dominate the world. A world superpower is a country that has the biggest economy, military and political power over the rest of the world. Different countries have wielded this position over time. Countries like Egypt, Italy (Roman empire), Greece, Spain and Britain have had world hegemony at different times in modern and ancient history. The British Empire was the world's superpower before World W...

Immunity: Barriers of Modern Medicine

Published Avatar David Molina Shvidchenco , Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

I think I am a psychic. Every time I go to the doctor I already know what he is going to prescribe me: Antibiotics. You have probably heard of them. These substances are used to kill microorganisms and treat diseases. They are so cool; they revolutionized modern medicine and save millions of lives every year. One of the cool things about antibiotics is that they are harmless to the human body. The problem begins when they are ineffective to the microorganisms that we want to kill...

Youth Time Summer School 2015: A Catalyst for Opportunity

Published Avatar Ala Oueslati , Mr.

Avatar Mr.
Ala Oueslati

The conviction that youth are drivers of positive change in our communities is the basis for the Youth Time International Movement programs and activities. One special program is the Youth Time Summer School which is a youth-led program taking place in a different country every year. The Summer School brings together outstanding young leaders and active society members from all across the world to train them in a wide range of contexts. They are equipped with the necessary skills...

What To Do When Pregnant With No Strength To Bear.

Published no picture Fasoranti Damilola

no picture Fasoranti Damilola

I love babies, they are usually cute and innocent. I like pregnant women, so different from all of us. The protruding stomach is a gentle call on the future. Promising! I like pregnant men too, only if it converts to huge future investment. There is something that we are all pregnant about. It's called decision! - in form of idea, intentions, thoughts and dreams. It wakes us in the middle of the dusk, it slaps us to life at dawn, it beckons in broad day light, it dr...

Invisible Wounds

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

Neurons.... We are wired to think, react, imagine, focus and remember. Memories are tricky, you can repress them for years but at the sight of a black mosaic tile they are back. Like it was only yesterday. Your heart beating frantically, sweat lining your eyebrows, neurons. She was late. Her watch stopped at 10 but she guessed it was around 11 now. She walked past a grocery store, it was closed. The street was silent, her friend asked her not to walk home by herself. But it was...

The Incident

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

This piece is concerning an incident that happened to me a year ago. I am writing this as a means to raise awareness of how it feels to stand up and report something. How it feels when that report goes to an arrest being made, a charge being placed, a witness statement being issued, an ID line-up and a court summons landing on a doormat. Recently, I went to court with a view to reiterate my testimony and this is my account. My name is Elizabeth and I am a victim of voyeurism....

Eleanor Gall is the latest addition to the #YouthForChange UK Panel. As we head towards the end of the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) process, she writes about why involving young people in development isn't just important - it's essential. 2015 is shaping up to be a historic year for girls and women. Worldwide efforts are ensuring that they will be a focus of the next set of development goals, voices speaking out against FGM are growing louder and child marriage is finally...

The Key To Exorcising Obesity

Published Avatar Rumby , Miss

Avatar Miss
Rumby

There is a new show on YouTube. Ok, maybe it’s not that new but I just found out about it. Snatched! is its name and two young (funny, intelligent and honest) people- Koodzi and Lindi - are its hosts. They talk about everything and when I say everything, I mean everything relevant to the everyday life of today’s young (African) people. Snatched! is so real to my experiences, I often catch myself laughing as if Koodzi, Lindi and I are conversing on the patio or something....

VOY across the world