Sweet like Shuga!

Posted July 26, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

One component of my To-watch list I never really get to check out is Shuga. Shuga is a soap opera by MTV Networks Africa in association with the MTV Staying Alive Foundation and other partners to create awareness about HIV, AIDS and responsible sexual behaviour. It airs in seasons and episodes so it would be around for a while. As soon as I got the news that the second season of Shuga Naija had been released, I could not wait a moment to get watching. Shuga Naija is the adapted...

The day I signed the Declaration of Equalities.

Posted July 20, 2014 Avatar Mariana G

Avatar Mariana G View Profile

I don't think at the time I truly understood the importance of what was happening that day in Seneca Falls, NY. I was in 1840s dress, My Mom was portraying Elizabeth Cady Stanton, And there was a declaration to be signed. It was Convention Days 2014. I met Nadia Shahram who was leading a movement for Muslim women. After my Mom (as Elizabeth Cady Stanton) read the Declaration of Sentiments, Nadia and the other leaders of her group read the Declaration of Equalities. It was pow...

The Nature of Womanhood

Posted July 26, 2014 no picture Victor Brown Omovbude

no picture Victor Brown Omovbude View Profile

I learnt from my "Women Weave the Web" page, how young ladies from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Japan and other parts of the world join forces to affect the life of women in all endeavours. Also, the AWID, a non governmental organization, in South Africa, portrays the notion of feminism. I remember, when my mum stood behind me, when I came home with a cut on my head. Although I had caused the fight, she stood behind me no matter what. That is the trait of mothers today, to advocate. Every Mother will do t...

GIRLS -- RIGHTS and VALUES

Girls have rights -- like the right to Quality Education, Health Services, Good Food and Socioeconomic benefits, as well as Values. Yesterday at my intern station, I watched a program where in the northern part of Nigeria, 35% of teenagers and young ladies go through hard labour, suffer to feed, have no quality education and no comfortable bed to lay their heads. Teenage girls also have children from poor homes. Values make us outstanding. It amalgamates us to the essential traits of life and a...

Why Not Be A Feminist ?

The world is occupied by men and women who strive to attain a height. In my everyday life, i have tried my best to affect, influence and sympathize with youths -- mostly girls. I don't know what made me stand for the right of girls, but i believe that there's a need for it. Or perhaps, it was due to my best friend untimely and unwanted pregnancy, at 16. Today, although i have no youth-led group, but i am proud to be a Feminist. Because every girls right is IMPORTANT, NECESSARY and WORTHWHILE. Mo...

From my own observations, the majority of people in my country (Zambia) do not really connect with issues whose effects are not instant. Climate change is inclusive! For as long as climate change effects are not directly affecting them, a greater part of the Zambian population gives a blind eye and a deaf ear to issues of climate change. However, many others among them, feel connected to climate related issues once they directly affect them. A practical example that may have pushed people to po...

What is being Human in my opinion?

Posted July 25, 2014 Avatar MariaJoseCelis

Avatar MariaJoseCelis View Profile

I've asked many people what being human means. I've asked young,old,teens 98% of them don't share the same definition as me. So, what is being human to me? Being human I believe, is not being only flesh and bones. See for me being human consists of many things. One of them being sensible. Being sensible of others pain, being sensible to problems. Being aware. Being aware for me is knowing what is happening in the world, is caring about what's going on, being aware is knowi...

"Poverty and Hunger" We don't want to see these words in 21st Century

Posted July 25, 2014 no picture Md.Mazharul Islam

no picture Md.Mazharul Islam View Profile

In the 21st century where the world is moving to make their next home to the moon.. Why then, do these words need to remain? "FOOD" is not available to all of the nations on this planet. Developed countries and UN Agencies provide enough funds to remove Hunger from this planet. So the question left behind is; why are people in Africa is struggling with their daily life, fighting to survive to collect their meals? Why are their leaders and governments using "Charted Planes" to g...

Condition of Child Marriage in Nepal

Posted July 25, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

A report entitled ‘Ending Child marriage – progress and prospects’ which was released by UNICEF during the ongoing first ever Girl Summit in London, highlighted that Nepal has the ninth highest prevalence of child marriage in the world with one in every three child brides living in the country. Nearly 18% of women aged 20 to 49 years were married before age of 15 while about 34 % of women were married or in union after age 15 but before they turned 18 in Nepal, the report...