Safety in the Classroom

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Sean_UNSLCD_NewJersey_USA

Avatar Sean_UNSLCD_NewJersey_USA View Profile

Nelson Mandela once famously said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." If that's so, why is it that, according to the UN News Center, 58 million children of primary school age remain out of school? A major underlying problem facing the world of education is safety in the classroom. Who is stopping children from attending school? In most cases, parents and families want their children to attend classes and receive an education. Educated...

Technology & Human Rights

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Pao Suárez

Avatar Pao Suárez View Profile

Many young people have been called by their older relatives “magicians” just for helping with things we do in our daily basis like recovering an email accidentally deleted or changing the font on a text. Every day we learn something new about our computers and media but we know little about the ways technology can empower us to understand, practice and raise awareness on Human Rights. It´s clear that many webpages – including social media - today ban abusive content; the...

My wish for children in 25 years time is…......

Posted November 18, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

To my knowledge, the major problems that the children of today's world are facing are malnutrition, gender inequality, child labor, child marriage, female genital mutilation, sexual crimes, war/violence, depression, lack of education, drug addiction, lack of emotional security etc. So, if I could make some wishes for children in 25 years time then I would make the following wishes: First of all, I wish that no child fetus will be aborted because of being a girl. I wish that every...

Is It Controversial? Federal States in Nepal

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

Frankly speaking, I don’t like politics very much. However, being a youth and a responsible citizen of the nation, I listen to political news and discussions to understand the political situation of the country. Unfortunately, Nepal is presently facing severe political instability despite the fact that there should have been political stability in this phase, as we held the second election for drafting our constitution by 22 January 2015. The first constitutional assembly was not...

How to Film Protests | Part 1 | Prepare to Film

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Ahmad Lateef

Avatar Ahmad Lateef View Profile

Do you want to create a video to help the change in your COMMUNITY?? You want show the world what's happening to you Country?? If so, this blog is for you. Nowadays videos are a powerful and successful tool to make change. You know that there are not only thousands, but millions who use mobile phones or cameras to share social issues and you can be one of them. This guide will help you to take action now to film your first video in a few steps in a safe and creative way....

#mydressmychoice Protest

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Grace Kiunga

Avatar Grace Kiunga View Profile

As I walked through the streets of Nairobi yesterday, I met a mob of people who most of them were women holding a demonstration. This was a peaceful demonstration in protest of incidences where last week three women were stripped naked by men for wearing miniskirts. Most of the people wore short skirts and some of the men in the protest wore skirts and dresses in solidarity to the women. Celebrities too joined the protest including major prominent leaders. The social media and the...

Let’s Invest in Young Girls Now

Posted November 18, 2014 Avatar Pona Bana

Avatar Pona Bana View Profile

Today, the whole world is celebrating International Day of the Girl Child. This year’s theme is “Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence”. This theme reflects that of the London Summit, in which my colleague Nathan (a children’s reporter) and I participated in July, as representatives of the Congolese children. For Day of the Girl Child, we hope to focus our message on child marriage. Child marriage is unfortunately a widespread practice in our country...

Say NO to violence against women

Posted November 18, 2014 no picture diana kagwiria

no picture diana kagwiria View Profile

A woman is a human being who can be your mother, sister, child, aunt, cousin, grandmother, employer, wife and not an animal or stone. It is very sad that at this day and age women are getting stripped naked on the streets of Nairobi by men who accuse them dressing indecently. Not one but four cases in a span of two weeks that have been reported without those reported still anonymous . The same men who are supposed to be protecting women are taking violence against women to...

Gender Inequality

Posted November 17, 2014 no picture Sayyidmohammed16

no picture Sayyidmohammed16 View Profile

Gender equality In the course of recent history, a growing problem has plagued the world and has also gone unnoticed to all except those who must endure it. One may think that it is the rise of terrorist networks or perhaps the surge of diseases, however this one problem in particular is a problem that has not received much coverage at all, yet affects roughly around three billion people every day. This wide spread struggle endured by many is the rise of gender inequality. T...