We're worth fighting for: Bring Back Our Girls

Posted October 16, 2014 Avatar End Sexual Violence

Avatar End Sexual Violence View Profile
Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. I am the same age as many of the girls who were abducted and I feel that it is important for me, as a young woman, to speak out on their behalf, in support of Bring Back Our Girls movement.

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/...

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. Three months ago, Boko Haram released a video showing its leader standing in front of armored vehicles mocking the Bring Back Our Girls movement. World leaders and celebrities promised us that swift action would be taken, but 219 girls remain in captivity waiting to be sold into marriage. Protestors in Ab...

Volunteerism today: My mixed feelings

Posted October 16, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

I was invited to an event last Tuesday. The Ministry of Social Services of Sri Lanka, along with UN Volunteers and UNDP, launched the National Volunteering Secretariat (NVS) at an extravagant event held in Galadari Hotel Colombo, with First Lady Shiranthi Wickramasinghe-Rajapaksa attending as the chief guest. The launch was followed by the 2-day National Conference on Volunteering. I learnt at the event that the NVS was conceived by the authorities sometime back. The motive beh...

Handwashing: A Free Vaccine Against Out-breaking diseases.

Posted October 15, 2014 Avatar Unitika Schlawenger

Avatar Unitika Schlawenger View Profile

Today, 15 October 2014, marks the Global Hand-washing Day. This marked events really helps educate others in under developed areas to wash their hands. People wash there hands every now and then, after eating, using the sanitary, before cooking, after handling sticky things, etc. My list surely goes on, but I also would like to raise a voice on one issue: Modernism and just us being lazy to it, is actually preventing our old hand-washing habits. In fact, we just open up the han...

Architecture

Posted October 15, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry View Profile

I love architecture. It's as simple as that. The designs of buildings. And the thought that goes into some of them is simply astounding. When I walk along a street, I cannot stop and take a photo for fear of looking like a tourist. So instead I simply enjoy the art that one calls architecture. And when I get home it doesn't stop. The classic Victorian architecture, that so many in England, and the rest of the world love. Terraces and terraces of houses, that appear...

The issues run deeper (Emma Watson Speech on Gender)

Posted October 15, 2014 no picture Nyasha Piloto

no picture Nyasha Piloto View Profile

Let me start off by saying a very well done to Emma Watson for being chosen to be Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women. A very well done to you many yearn for such positions for change. With that said, I just think that such positions are more influential when it is held by a person who represents the issue. I am by no means undermining the Gender Inequality unfairness that Miss Watson stated she has faced : Such as media sexualisation and weird behaviour from the opposite sex. I am...

Education, especially in emergencies

Posted October 15, 2014 Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect

Avatar Zayn_VOY_Connect View Profile

100 million children and young people are affected by natural disasters every year. More than half of the world’s 58 million children and youth who are out of school live in countries affected by war and violence. The majority of these children and youth are girls. When an emergency happens, many children and youth cannot go to school. An earthquake or flood could have destroyed their school and a conflict made the journey to school unsafe. When faced with a natural disaster or a conflict, chi...

Human Rights and Impersonation

Avatar Unitika Schlawenger View Profile

Hello Everyone! I finally have returned to VOY after a long time, and would at first remind everyone that I have missed this platform. However, due to certain issues and illness, I was not able to post any voice here. Nevertheless, I return, with a story which I just experienced about a day ago. Though I was obviously reflecting myself on a social site, my account was suddenly closed down, with the reason being Impersonation. Maybe this is a mistake and it will be fix...

How to relate with Slum Dweller to get their stories. In line with the characteristics of slums shared you will discover that these areas are prone to claims by their owners and evacuations from such properties is inevitable without compensation or provision of an alternative location. This has driven the slum dwellers to become more hostile to outsiders coming into their environment to help them but however there are approaches to gaining their trust and confidence. W...

The United Nations designated every first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter and habitation. It is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns. World Habitat Day was established in 1985 by the United Nations General Assembly through Resolution 40...