Universal Education: Opening the Doors to the Future

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture mbaker

no picture mbaker View Profile

Plato once said that a man’s education will determine his future in life, and many more have said that it opens doors for the impoverished, the poor, and the less fortunate. A generation’s or a country’s success is often determined by the education it receives. Lyndon B. Johnson (the United States’ 36th president) knew that fact very well. In the 1960s, he started the Great Society programs aimed at developing healthcare, social security, but most importantly education. He...

Hunger in america

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture Eric_UNSLCD_Philadelphia_USA

no picture Eric_UNSLCD_Philadelphia_USA View Profile

1 in 6 people in America face hunger. Households with children reported a significantly higher food insecurity rate than households without children in 2011: 20.6 percent vs. 12.2 percent. Food insecurity exists in every county in America. In 2011, 17.9 million households were food insecure. 50.1 million Americans struggle to put food on the table. In the US, hunger isn’t caused by a lack of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty. More than 1 in 5 children is at risk of hunger. A...

Stand Up for Education

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture jjdemree

no picture jjdemree View Profile

The word “education” is derived from the Latin “educere,” which means “to lead out.” An educator, logically, would be one who devotes his or her life to leading out the future of this world. What an outstanding vocation teachers follow, then; what a calling! One who draws forth potential from youth selflessly and tirelessly, committing himself to planting the tree from which his children can draw fruit, to building the cathedral where throngs will gather long after he h...

The virtue of finding beauty in the midst of chaos

Posted November 16, 2014 Avatar Pao Suárez

Avatar Pao Suárez View Profile

It is hard to believe that one of the most unequal countries in the world according to the Gini index; a “poor” country where people live surrounded by an ever-lasting history of violence and huge polarization, can be called a happy country. Or to be more specific, a country where people are genuinely happy. However according to a Gallup international survey, Colombia has continually been one of the happiest countries in the world, in fact the happiest country in 2013. I wo...

Tolerance, mutual respect - together united for a shared future

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

On the occasion of the International day of tolerance -16th November 2014- I pondered on the importance of tolerance. Tolerance is of great value and one I feel young people should promote. Having been brought up in a household where my mother, father and grand mother all shared different religious beliefs but still despite an occasional debates we lived together in harmony. Furthermore I grew up in a country where differences in political opinions has divided the country. Differen...

Standardized Testing: Should it be required?

Posted November 15, 2014 no picture Grace O

no picture Grace O View Profile

I recently studied for and took the SAT, the standardized test required for admission for many US universities. This process led me to do a lot of research about standardized testing, which has made me really think- should standardized testing be required? Standardized testing aims to test a student's basic ability, predict his/her success in college, and provide a good comparison between students. The ACT and SAT are both standardized tests, and standardized tests have many term...

The Brighter Side of Social Media

Posted November 15, 2014 no picture Sarah

no picture Sarah View Profile

These days with technology, many people come quick to criticize the use of social media, saying that it provokes social pressure to fit in. Many also argue that social media distracts people from being productive, resulting to a less productive generation. While these problems do exist within our generation, it is important to note that they aren't always present 100% of the time. In fact, social media is the cause to good things too. Take the Egyptian Revolution as an example. Egypt back at 20...

What's on the local news?

Posted November 15, 2014 Avatar Oksana Hirchak

Avatar Oksana Hirchak View Profile

You may know about the situation in Ukraine. I would like to outline the main points about circumstances in the East of Ukraine and Crimea on November 5th – 12th. A violent change is being observed in the Eastern Ukraine after the November 2nd “elections in local governments” in Donetsk People's Republic and Luhansk People’s Republic. DPR and LPR are self-proclaimed republics on the territory of Ukraine. But there is no country in the world which declared that. Large scal...

Make A Change & Take Action

Posted November 15, 2014 Avatar Anisah

Avatar Anisah View Profile

God never changes a condition of a people until they first change themselves. Some of us go to church every week, go to the Mosque every week, and that's all we do. Week after week, we sit in our seats, clap, bear witness, and shout hallelujah, and go home in the same condition we left in. For many of us, it's the same routine. You get your joy from going to church and the Mosque, but no joy comes afterward because you aren't willing to get up and change your condition. When yo...