INDIAN OCEAN SOCIALIST- LOCAL HERO TO MANY

Posted September 15, 2014 no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

LOCAL HERO: France Albert Rene A blog post will never do justice to this man but I will do my best to show why he is a local hero to many. Colonial era The Seychelles was a colony in both the French and English empire. The Seychelles had cinnamon, copra and vanilla plantations owned by the European ‘white’ masters and worked on by the slave ‘black’ population from East Africa and Madagascar. In 1835 slavery was abolished but the plantations continued. The m...

Who´s behind chilean fear?

Posted September 14, 2014 Avatar paola.suarez

Avatar paola.suarez View Profile

Hi everyone! I´ve repeated several times and I guess it´s known how safe Chile is, and that´s one of the reasons why it´s international relations are stable and reciprocal in many cases. However something not commonly seen has been happening lately, bomb explosions have been taking place in public spaces of Santiago and Viña del Mar. Why is it controversial? Well, to make it simple, because Chile is the kind of county where this kind of thing doesn't happen and no one wo...

LGBT Rights in Asia

Posted September 13, 2014 no picture Grace O

no picture Grace O View Profile

The recent wedding between a senior British diplomat to his male partner in Beijing has instigated a discussion over gay rights in China. You can read about it here. The couple's posting of their wedding on Chinese site Weibo was quickly shared more than 60,000 times. However many Chinese commentators took to Weibo and other social media websites to attack the couple. One said, “That country [Britain] is sick. It’s like the last days of Rome”. Another said that same-sex...

Education: The Key to Change

Posted September 13, 2014 Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante View Profile

High School has gone by more quickly than I would have ever imagined. Most of us get overwhelmed with attempting to balance school, sports, extracurricular activities and social life (if you don’t, you are a super human, props). Time gets so limited that even every second counts. I laughed as a sixth grader because the Dean would always tell my class that “these seven years will fly by” and I thought it was so ridiculous. Well here I am, and now I realize how naïve I was. Being a junior i...

Speak out, our Voices Count! My Digital Mapping Experience

Posted September 13, 2014 no picture Maimuna Yusuf Ahmad

no picture Maimuna Yusuf Ahmad View Profile

All these past days of September have been fun for me! Why? Because I have been choosen as a youth mapper! I thought that all I had to do was take pictures and post them online, but no, it's more than that. Because I am not only mapping but I am also enlightening people. Poor refuse disposal. This is the major challenge in my country and in my mapping area (Kano, Nigeria), people tend to dispose refuse in any available space they see due to lack of recycling companies....

Youth inclusion in governance: #30PercentOrNothing vs. #30PercentForWetin

Posted September 13, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

Many Nigerians have, in recent months, decried the low level of participation of the youth in governance. The issue has become a trending topic both online and offline but this did not just happen in an instant. During a national conference earlier this year, a coalition of youths brought the issue to the fore. They affirmed that the estimated population of Nigerian youths, which constitute about 70 percent of the population, is twice the population of Ghana and more than the p...

The Platform for Geniuses – NTSE

Posted September 12, 2014 Avatar Naren Sharma

Avatar Naren Sharma View Profile

NTSE is National Talent Search Examination that is held every year for Indian students settled in India & abroad. The main objective of the NTSE exam is to spot the best talents and skills in the country and boost their confidence so that they can be a part of the bright future of the country. This is one of the most popular exams and also one of the toughest in India which is conducted since 1963. There are about 1000 scholarships that are provided to the students who clear NT...

Young Reporters from Cape Town interview the US Ambassador, Patrick Gaspard

Posted September 12, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/yo...

The youth reporters at Red River Primary School in Cape Town got the opportunity to interview Patrick Gaspard, the US Ambassador to South Africa. And it seemed they hit all the right notes with this diplomat.

One step in the democratization of education is off-campus learning

Posted September 12, 2014 no picture Rhia

In recent times, online education has become more and more popular. It began with independent groups, such as Khan Academy, who began to offer online classes for people to improve on specific skills. Now, there are hundreds of Universities throughout the world who offer online courses, whether for credit or simply for their educational value. Even Harvard has an online component now, as part of edX, a group of schools offering online classes. I strongly believe that schools sho...