Movies frequently depict psychiatric wards hyperbolically, as stained white brick wall buildings that can't contain the horrid screams of crazy-haired, loony-eyed patients. Many who face debilitating depression, bipolar disorder, self-harm, eating disorders, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, multiple personality disorder, substance abuse and more have to go to these 'wards' or 'hospitals'. Worldwide, nearly one in ten people have one of these mental disorders. Despite this, a mere o...

Learning to Accept Is NOT About Giving In

Published Avatar Angkush Poonye

Avatar Angkush Poonye

Very often, we are faced with challenges that baffle us utterly. We ensure that things go as foreordained from our perspective by taking into account the slightest issues into consideration. But the truth is that at the end, the final call/decision does not lie in our hands. While some of us believe that everything that happens is predestined, that is, it is God who decides the type of cloth we deserve no matter how long we might have taken or how much effort we may have put to wea...

What Does the Future Hold For Us?

Published Avatar Kehkashan , Youth Ambassador

Avatar Youth Ambassador
Kehkashan

I was born in the year of the new millennium during which the global fraternity adopted the ambitious Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) – eight targets ranging from poverty eradication to building global partnerships that were supposed to transform our world and set it on the road to sustainability. In that historic summit fifteen years ago, world leaders committed to “spare no effort to free our fellow men, women and children from the abject and dehumanizing conditions of ex...

Cyber Bullying: A Call to Action

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

The internet is a wonderful place, it’s a tool to help us connect. From Facebook to Twitter, we can communicate with friends and now even celebrities. It’s fair to say that anyone who tried dismiss the internet’s monumental impact wouldn’t really have a leg to stand on…right? But what about the darker side of the web? I turn your attention to Em Ford’s latest youtube video, above, ‘You look disgusting’. It stands to open a much needed conversation about cyber bull...

Love vs. Control

Published Avatar Utsah , student

Avatar student
Utsah

I am a teenage girl. I am free. I am independent. In the last year of my high school, I made a new group of friends. And today I am in relationship with one of them. We first hung out as a group but slowly started to meet just the two of us. It became our daily routine to go out together after school. I knew our friendship was moving to the next level, but I always made myself believe otherwise. Years have passed since I am committed to him- I am not as I was before. I am con...

Life

Published no picture Omorodion Irorere , Mr.

no picture Mr.
Omorodion Irorere

Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is a beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it. Life is an adventure, dare it. Life is luck, make it. Life is life, fight for it.

The Perfectionism Epidemic

Published Avatar Noor Samee , Miss

Avatar Miss
Noor Samee

She’s raised in a world of online shopping, microwavable meals, and conversations at the push of a button. She has a flavor for every feeling, a filter for every light, and a shoe for every occasion. Infinity practically lies at her fingertips, and her society doesn't let her forget to make the most of her privileges. 1st Grade. On weekdays, she plays and learns, going home at 4:00 to relax. She walks barefoot in the woods, finds a comfortably sized rock, and reads Harry Potter books. 6th...

Inspire! With Ijeoma Idika-Chima: Education For All

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Ijeoma is a 24 year old mentor and youth counselor who works directly with teenagers to help them build and improve their life skills. With 10.5 million out-of-school children in Nigeria, Ijeoma is the founder of Teenz Global Foundation. Even though she had a very difficult background, that didn’t deter her from reaching her goals and achieving her dreams. Miss Idika-Chima also records weekly broadcasts on teen-related issues for television and radio stations, distributes free...

The Feminist Manifesto

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

Many people believe feminism is a war between the two sexes. Many people believe women are the proletariat and the men bourgeoisie. They could not be more mistaken. Working on my job this week I met a girl. It was 5AM, she was drenched and her fingers and toes were blue. She lay on a bed unconscious, her identity unknown. She looked like she was in her early twenties, her red kurti stood in sharp contrast with the whiteness of the ward. We got her breathing and intubated, her s...

VOY across the world