Why we all need to champion safe spaces

Posted no picture Matthew Tikhonovsky , Co-founder of the Walk a Campus in my Shoes poster exhibit

no picture Co-founder of the Walk a Campus in my Shoes poster exhibit
Matthew Tikhonovsky

Olivia Andrews knows what it’s like to be stereotyped for the color of her skin daily. As a 17-year-old Indian teenager living in the U.S., who excels academically, she is often labeled as quiet, studious, reserved, and unwilling to have fun. But Olivia feels she is anything but. She always brings an added flare of excitement and creativity to whatever projects she works on and enjoys in her free time letting loose with her friends.But she hasn’t always been like this. While Olivia used to strug...

The Power of Helping

Posted Avatar Angeline Michelle , Its about Humanity

Avatar Its about Humanity
Angeline Michelle

According to Google the word help means, "Make it easier or possible for (someone) to do something by offering them one's services or resources."I would like to know…What does help mean to you?Help is something everyone needs and when we receive it, we probably feel loved and grateful towards the person who offered it to us.A couple of weeks ago something happened that marked my heart.I was at work and decided to take a break since I was feeling stressed. During this time I called my mom to spea...

Ssshhh...

Posted no picture Odedere Aanuoluwapo , Sexual and reproductive health educator/ Researcher

no picture Sexual and reproductive health educator/ Researcher
Odedere Aanuoluwapo

This is the phrase that paralyzes the victim,On the terms of the perpetrator,Don't talk; he says,If you want to live another day.Wasters of destiny they are,Gratifying their lust, with the scream of the innocent.This is the last time he promised,But walked in through the same door, he shut the previous night.Your phones lie fallow, blinking at you to call for help,Your vocal cords vibrate, hoping you would make the noise of liberation,But fear tells you it's safer to keep silent,Society beckons...

Investing in youth's mental health

Posted Avatar Gabrielle Rocha Rios

Avatar Gabrielle Rocha Rios

Statistics show a worrisome picture of mental health worldwide: depression is the leading cause of disability, and every 40 seconds someone dies by suicide.But in no population group are current statistics on mental health more worrisome than young people. Globally, suicide is the second leading cause of death of young people between the ages of 15 and 29 and the leading cause for girls between the ages of 15 and 19. Mental health conditions also often begin during the teen and young adult years...

Rejection

Posted no picture loutessia , editor at truegaming website

no picture editor at truegaming website
loutessia

Being rejected is an every day part of our lives and it can suck. The reason rejection sucks is that our species depends on being social and interacting with each other, regardless of how anti-social some of us are. I, as an introvert, find being around people often tiring, okay? I think some of you can agree on that. Anyway, despite how smoothly you think your life is going, you are bound to run into rejection the moment you set foot outside your home. I guess when you hear the word "rejection"...

My home is Syria

Posted Avatar ALTAP SHAIKH , GOVT OF INDIA

Avatar GOVT OF INDIA
ALTAP SHAIKH

A Syrian HomeAnd I came back,in search of my home,deeply shocked to find,empty voids within the walls.Windows pouring dry air,like eyes with dry tears.A roof that gave shadows,now hiding from sunlight.I felt no moisture,of love, pleasure, and peace.But felt the heat,of pain, neglect and hate.And a chair near the door,resembled like a grave,I realized I was late,as the home had become a hell.

What will my future be?

Posted no picture Yasmin Zadunaisky , High School Student

no picture High School Student
Yasmin Zadunaisky

The clock ticks, the days pass, and finally the day arrives. The day you begin high school, the day you begin adulthood, the day of your first job. Depending on the person, these can bring a variety of emotions. For me it differs as to what it is, as it does with all of us. We all feel a variety of emotions leading up to something big, and it could be all we think about. So much so that we forget about what is happening right now. This is very true for me. I cannot seem to focus on what is h...

Keep your head high

Posted no picture Olivia

no picture Olivia

It’s easy to feel helpless.Like you can’t change the world around you.Like there is an unstoppable evil taking over the world, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.I feel like that, and I’m sure you do too.But you have to remember: you are not alone.You are not the only one who wants to see the best in other people.You are not the only one who cries over news of children being torn apart from their parents at the border.You are not the only one who thinks students should not need bulletproo...

Youth Parliament

Posted Avatar Yeshna

Avatar Yeshna

“Our youth are not failing the system; the system is failing our youth. Ironically, the very youth who are being treated the worst are the young people who are going to lead us out of this nightmare.” — Rachel JacksonI can now proudly say that Mauritius launched it's first Youth Parliament, and I'm really humbled to be a part of this amazing initiative. Most people do not realize that if youth are part of the problem, they are also part of the solution. If we want to promote change, we cannot le...

VOY across the world