(Plenty of Youths Get) Left Behind

Posted August 25, 2014 no picture Effie Johari

no picture Effie Johari View Profile

The introduction of youths into political and decision-making spaces is a fairly new thing. Malaysia has made headway with this with current projects such as Parlimen Belia and similar state-led initiatives. Similarly on the rise are activities where our voices get a chance to be heard, such as MUN and youth conferences. Activity among the youth community is not unprecedented or a novel concept, neither is collective activity channelled towards a specific cause. But like their adul...

What is Money to You(th)?

Posted August 25, 2014 no picture Fasoranti Damilola

no picture Fasoranti Damilola View Profile

Do the youths really know about money? We all know the definition of money as a medium of exchange or a legal tender for buying and selling. We all want to make a lot of money, youths are known with having many ideas bubbling within them, but it seems implementation is impossible because of lack of funds. For lack and insufficiency to be reduced and perhaps eradicated especially among the youths, there is an urgent need to understand some things we can do with money. These...

"HUMANITY" AN AFRICAN EXPRESSION

Posted August 25, 2014 no picture Daniel Izu

no picture Daniel Izu View Profile

Humanity! Ubuntu! Bantu!anthu!abantu! All but words that have the same meaning in linguistic nature. Humanity! A symbol that once kept Africa united and saw people come together to fight a common era. Ubuntu! We came from all corners of the diaspora and fought a common era - slavery. Colour was not a definitive picture for there was no black, coloured , Indian, Hutu, Nsenga, Bemba, Tswana, Yoruba, Xhosa, Ngoni and all nativity but we were one Africa bound together in love...

Book Review: I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Posted August 23, 2014 Avatar Grace O

Avatar Grace O View Profile

I recently read "I am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak, and found it an engaging and poignant book. “I am the Messenger”, written by Markus Zusak (author of “The Book Thief”), tells the tale of a drifting and listless teenager, Ed Kennedy. At first glance, Ed appears to be a complete loser. An underage cabdriver with not much of a future ahead of him, Ed spends most of his leisure time playing poker and pining helplessly over his best friend Audrey, who doesn’t even belie...

What matters most to youth? Part 2

Posted August 23, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

Have you had an experience that upended your views or enlightened your view concerning certain issues? You need to read my first post in this series. On August 12, the International Youth Day, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and Global Citizen launched a #showyourselfie global social media campaign to urge world leaders to make the needs and rights of young people a priority in the post-2015 development agenda. Young people were encouraged to take a selfie and...

Why I love my country

Posted August 23, 2014 no picture Moonga

no picture Moonga View Profile

Zambia is a landlocked country located in the central part of southern Africa. It is made up of more than 70 ethnic groups scattered all over the country. All these groups have different cultures and beliefs. Despite having so many ethnic groups, Zambia boasts of being a peaceful country since gaining independence in 1964. This does not just come but requires understanding and having a spirit of embracing one another. Logically speaking with so many ethnic groups with different...

NCDs : How Trigeminal Neuralgia Took Over My Life

Posted August 22, 2014 Avatar MariaJoseCelis

Avatar MariaJoseCelis View Profile

Have you ever heard of Trigeminal Neuralgia? It's very likely you haven't. "It is estimated that 1 in 15,000 or 20,000 people suffer from TN" (Wikipedia.org) So what is Trigeminal Neuralgia? It is a rare neuropathic disorder that affects the side of the face with stabbing electric shocks that come from the Trigeminal nerve which is a nerve consisting of 3 branches that is located on the side of the face. It affects the jaw, mouth, ear, scalp, teeth, the ocular nerves and...

They say : "Poverty is the cause of crime"

Posted August 22, 2014 Avatar Laura Rosa

Avatar Laura Rosa View Profile

"Poverty is the cause of crime". This statement is usually used for the defense of the poor people, but which justifies the preference of previous suspicions that the police have. These foundations are based on the assumption that the poor people act by crime to survive. But in reality it is not. This statement is usually used for the defense of the poor, but which justifies the preference of previous suspicions that the police have. These foundations are based on the assumption...

Ukraine Today

Posted August 22, 2014 Avatar Oksana Hirchak

Avatar Oksana Hirchak View Profile

Invasion of Russia to Ukraine does not surprise me. Through history we see an obsession to possess some territory of Ukraine. And that wish was satisfied. There are general things, and I am not going to retell events which have happened. I would like to share with you what is going on here today. Let me tell you a brief history. The protests began on November 21, 2013 in response to the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to suspend the process of preparation for...