The Case For Self-Mockery

Published Avatar SoritaH , Student

SoritaH

Before the end of 2015, I posted this Facebook status: '2016 goal: Master the art of self-mockery'. Some of my friends cheered me on, while others didn't really get what I was saying. 'Mockery' doesn't exactly have the most positive of connotations. It's attached to hurt feelings and mean words. So why I would want to make mocking myself as my new year's resolution probably seemed a bit baffling. But what I mean by this status is for me to learn laughing at myself - to take m...

Five Things to Consider Before Running a Startup

Published Avatar Begimai Sataeva , Journalist

Avatar Journalist
Begimai Sataeva

Living abroad, I’ve realized that I miss my country Kyrgyzstan. I cannot bring it to Poland, but I can bring is some handmade authentic products from Central Asia, made especially for me. However, I can’t find any of these products in Warsaw. Many of my compatriots and lovers of handmade products are in the same situation. So I got together with like-minded people and we have decided to run startup project called ARTASIAN.co The idea is combining a retail online platform with...

I met Dissa a few weeks ago at a career event organized by my university in Japan, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU). She was an APU alumna invited to speak at the event. She’s currently an equity analyst at Credit Suisse Singapore as well as the owner of Deaf Café Fingertalk, the first café in Indonesia where all the employees are deaf. She’s only 25 years old but she has had a lot of volunteering experience in many countries. She came to Japan from Indonesia at...

How To Keep a Man

Published Avatar Carrie , Marketer

Avatar Marketer
Carrie

If you can’t feed your man, you are going to lose him. And when I say ‘feed’ I don’t mean takeaways or personal chefs honey. YOU have to cook delicious, edible food, repeatedly, everyday. It doesn’t matter whether you and him got home from work at the exact same time. Doesn’t matter if you had a horrible day and you are exhausted because your boss decided to be an especially annoying prick. It does not matter. He is hungry and he wants to be fed - whether or not he bo...

The Born This Way Manifesto

Published Avatar Ghita El Bouamri , Student

Ghita El Bouamri

When you were born, you came to life, but you also entered its coliseum. You’re a gladiator. You’ve got to fight in order to survive. Except that your survival doesn’t depend on your health anymore, but on your visibility to those around you. The modern world as it is now, has one and only one motto: "I amaze, therefore I am". You must be original in order to be noticed, you should be noticed to be admired, you have to be admired to be respected and then, and only then, w...

Internet Safety : An African Child's Perspective

Published Avatar Kearoma Mosata , student

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

Growing up there never really was any big fuss over technology and innovation. I used a computer to play pinball and minesweeper. On rare days where our stone age type computer had internet I would use it to Google dolls and pictures of the Eiffel Tower. It never really had any great impact on my upbringing. Yes, it excited me but I was not aware of it to a point where I would sacrifice playing house with my friends for sitting in front of the computer. Things have changed...

Even the Strongest Person Needs Support

Published no picture Jay Yvonne

no picture Jay Yvonne

A few weeks ago my mother called me. She called me crying hysterically and though this happens a few times a year, this time felt slightly different. I was on the bus on the way home from visiting my family out of town when I received the call, and honestly, my heart dropped almost immediately. Many of us have received a similar phone call from a loved one who was upset or distraught about something and needed someone to talk to. But this is a little different and it’s differen...

The Necessity of Individuality

Published no picture Jasmine

no picture Jasmine

I may not be a psychological expert, but I think it’s safe to say that every one of us has reached a point in our lives wherein we question our personality and the way we act, always wary of the societal pressures that envelope our world. Although in our heads we know we shouldn’t care about what other people think of us, there is always an inkling of doubt that seems to have settled in our hearts, never allowing us to be fully confident in our own skin. Or so we thought....

"Young" Indicates My Age, Not my Character

Published no picture Andri P. , High School Student

no picture High School Student
Andri P.

One day before a Greek composition test. Actually, it’s less than a day. But it doesn’t matter. I have time ahead. The question is, do I want to learn? I mean, the new generation is irresponsible, self-destructive and spasmodic, right? At least that’s what the Modern Greek O’level Composition book states… But let’s, for once, not be emotionally driven (Another characteristic of the new generation) and state the facts as said in the book, translated from Greek: Neg...

VOY across the world