A group of four young humanitarians from Sierra Leone and Liberia, who responded to the Ebola crisis in their countries, are attending the World Humanitarian Summit Global Youth Consultation in Qatar on the 1st and 2nd of September. They will work with over 200 other young people from around the world to finalise a global consultation process to ensure young people are listened to ahead of the first World Humanitarian Summit(WHS) in Turkey in May 2016. The WHS is an initiative...

Inspire! Eddie Komane: A Young Man Chosen By the People

Published Avatar Itumeleng Mphure , Ms

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

There are many ways to make a meaningful contribution to society. Small acts make ripple effects which have the power to change a community. For my Inspire! article, I interviewed Eddie Komane who has thus far dedicated his life to public service with a zeal to improve the quality of life in Katlehong township. Eddie Cecil Komane is the Ward Councillor of Ekurhuleni ward 60 in Gauteng Province in South Africa. At his appointment, in 2011, he was 27 years old making him the younge...

The Dark Road of Dieting

Published no picture philomath;icast , Student

philomath;icast

"I'm so fat." Chances are that you, just like the rest of the youth out there, have muttered this sentence to yourself at least once in your lifetime. Even if you are perfectly healthy and happy, it pops up. The thought might surface whilst catching a glance at magazines with "it" celebrities flaunting explicit poses during checkout. It arises perhaps when you're alone with your mirror and you slightly lift up your shirt and *sigh, temporarily drowning yourself in the fact that...

Forgetting "Failure"

Published Avatar Unitika Schlawenger

Avatar Unitika Schlawenger

Who says life is easy? If life was easy, why do we come into it crying? Though crying doesn’t solve any problem it helps lighten some thoughts inside us sometimes. You might cry when you are guilty, when you have lost someone important in your life, the list goes on and on. Some people even cry out of happiness. Recently, when GCE and A level results were announced, a mixture of reactions were seen. Some cried out of shock and happiness – getting exam results they not e...

The Dominican Refugee Crisis Is Coming

Published Avatar Derwayne Wills , Social Change Provocateur

Avatar Social Change Provocateur
Derwayne Wills

It is common knowledge that world powers are sometimes slow in responding to humanitarian crises. Lack of political will, lack of consensus at the multilateral level, or even bureaucratic red tape - these are all factors for consideration. But while we take time to consider those factors, there are still thousands of men, women, and children pouring into makeshift settlements on the Haitian border with the Dominican Republic (DR). If the Syrian conflict is any example to be used,...

Hope for orphans and vulnerable children

Published no picture Donald Momo

no picture Donald Momo

Orphans and vulnerable children all over the world deserve more positive impact making events to help build their self esteem and equal them with the privileged children. It will also interest the society to know that we cannot have a community of positive people if we do not slim the gap in knowledge, information and education between the less privileged and the privileged children. Where this is not done, we will have a society where the privileged ones who have been equipped...

My Life As a Zombie - A Young Addicts Tale

Published no picture Leila , Student/Cook

no picture Student/Cook
Leila

My story begins like the one of most children that end up as "damaged freight". Broken home, troubled family, financial issues and a growing self-hatred. Growing up in the Western world, you become accustomed to so many things, media pressures, laziness, family disputes and divorce, bullying and all that garbage. One in five Canadians is diagnosed with mental illness. I became one of these statistics. Negativity swarmed me as a child, like a dark cloud following me everywhere,...

Off With a Running Start

Published Avatar Noor Samee

Avatar Noor Samee

Because I envy birds. Because I hate sitting still, but love learning and pushing my limits. Because I crave detachment, control, productivity. Because I find warmth in rain and cold. Fulfillment in loneliness. Strength in pain. Because I see nothing but earth and hear nothing but my heart’s beat and my breath’s rhythm. Because it’s for me. Just for me. Because when I run, I am invincible. Running strengthens much more than abs and quads; it supports...

Back To School

Published no picture MariaJoseCelis

no picture MariaJoseCelis

This is the palm tree that shielded me against the sun during the last school year. Watching "Girls Rising" I realized how incredibly privileged me and the people who surround me are. As the summer ends, and we all prepare ourselves to go back to school, I notice that we take school for granted. We know we'll be attending classes, and we don't stop and realize how much of a big deal it is. How incredibly blessed we are to be able to go to a school, sit at clean desks with new books...

VOY across the world