THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Posted September 23, 2014 no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT View Profile

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA# In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You can even chat with someone who is on the other side of the globe as though you were in the same room. All this is possible because of social media. Social media is an essential tool in the work that we do as advocates for change and if anything voices of youth is a social networking site. Not long ago I had the privilege of attending the Zambia Children’s Climate Conference 7 and o...

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This has affected the mindsets of people in poverty and it has forced them to take part in deforestation so that they can make ends meet. As a youth I believe I have the power to change the mindset or plant and water mindset trees in the minds of people who are unaware of the effects of deforestation Now that we know why people cut down trees the question we are left with is ‘how do we...

Digital Climate Mapping: My story.

Posted September 22, 2014 no picture Selinah-VOY-Kenya

no picture Selinah-VOY-Kenya View Profile

Participating in the Climate Mapping Exercise was both an amazing and educative experience for me. Taking a walk within the community to capture stories and reports for the digital map made me notice many environmental issues that I had not paid attention to previously. Before receiving the participation confirmation email I imagined that I would work together with other selected participants (as a team). Little did I know that the exercise would take me to a path that I had to...

Collective Action for sustainable development

Posted September 22, 2014 Avatar ndmetherall

Avatar ndmetherall View Profile

Leave no one behind… Village communities show the way towards an inclusive post-2015 framework. There is a small island called Solor. It lies in the Savu Ocean near the point of intersection between Asia and the Pacific. Solor’s population is largely dependent on the agricultural sector. Unfortunately, it is also highly arid and difficult to find fertile land for growing crops. This leaves the island’s rural communities especially vulnerable to changing rain patterns and...

Photovoice Methodologies

Avatar ndmetherall View Profile

Photovoice is a form of participatory learning and action (PLA). It involves using media technology to see local challenges, strengths and vision for the future through the perspectives of local communities who understand their own context the best. Photovoice methods have three main goals: 1. to enable people to record and reflect their community's strengths and concerns; 2. to promote critical dialogue and knowledge about personal and community issues through large...

The concerns of Small Island Developing Contexts

Avatar ndmetherall View Profile

The First UNEA Earlier this year I was lucky to get the opportunity to observe the first United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) in Nairobi, as a part of the children and youth major groups and stakeholders. The conference addressed two key overarching themes including the SDGs and the post-2015 Agenda as well as Illegal Trade in Wildlife and Timber. Within these themes, delegates addressed a wider range of sub-themes ranging from sustainable consumption and production,...

'Better do something than waiting'

Posted September 22, 2014 no picture Moonga

no picture Moonga View Profile

Youth unemployment in Zambia is a national crisis that needs immediate attention. The time is now to transform the unemployment dilemma the youth way. We the youth have to take the reins in our hands and choose to do something about our situation rather than waiting for others to do something for us. Unless the youth work together and remain determined to do something about the unemployment crisis, it will simply remain a discussion discussed over and over. We have the potent...

What do you(th) think about climate change?

Posted September 22, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/climate-map.jpg?w=667&h=400

Source: http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/c...

Tomorrow, an important event is taking place in New York City – one with repercussions far beyond the tiny island of Manhattan. Tomorrow, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host the 2014 Climate Summit, with an important goal – to get everyone behind the plan to address climate change and the effects it will have on us all. But these effects are likely to impact some groups of people more than others – and children and young people are key among them. Not...

When a movie gives you a motivation.

Posted September 22, 2014 no picture Artemis B.

no picture Artemis B. View Profile

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10624437_609855422469193_1273127250_n.jpg

Source: http://instagram.com/red?modal=true

In a previous article, I wrote about AIDS, including three movies about AIDS, homosexuality and homophobia. One of them was ''The Normal Heart'', the autobiographical play by Larry Kramer which became a movie. When I wrote about it I mentioned my big love for it since it really inspired me. So please let me share a few more thoughts with you about this movie. In the photo you can see Mr.Ryan Murphy who many of you know from other works like "Glee" and "American Horror Story". H...