This World, This Place We Call Home

Published Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

This world, this place we call home, where we’re supposedly free to roam is a messed up place where richness and race decides your place in society. It’s a place where the brand of your clothes are what makes you friends, where, when your phone’s battery life ends you become a lesser person. It’s where society revolves around celebrities and where lasting friendship is only a distant memory. This is what we’ve come to call the norm, where we are expected to conform and re...

5 WAYS TO BREAK FREE

Published no picture Nancy Saili

no picture Nancy Saili

It is very clear that in order to avoid the worst possible impacts of climate change and keep global temperatures below 2 degrees Celsius we need to completely phase out fossil fuels. In order to get the word out and get everyone on board and up to speed a break free from fossil fuels campaign was started to run from 4th to 15th may. The break free 2016 is a two week global wave of action aimed at keeping coal, oil and gas in the ground by confronting polluters and demanding the shutting down of...

Dog attacks /abuse

Published no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

Thursday 9th, 18;12 I was walking from school to home. Everything was going on smoothly when all of a sudden , I saw some 5-6 dogs coming in my direction. I froze and a chill of terror ran down my spine .I looked around and there was nobody else. Fear consumed me but I managed to stay calm and continued my way when things got worse and worse. The dogs encircled me ready to eat me and get their meal! .I struggled a lot, shouted at the top of my voice, got few scratches, hit the...

3 Things Zambian Youth Must Do During Break Free 2016

Published no picture Nancy Saili

no picture Nancy Saili

It is important for every youth, environmental, poverty reduction, human rights, gender, labour or animal rights activist to hold any Paris agreement signatories accountable in order to achieve a just transition to 100% renewable energy future. People world over acknowledge the need to break free from fossil fuels and youths around the world are putting their bodies on the line by courageously confronting polluters and demanding that coal, oil and gas be kept in the ground. It...

Dear Adam

Published no picture CHRISTOS

no picture CHRISTOS

I BECAME VULNERABLE, HE BECAME DISTANT. I didn’t want to. I didn’t plan this. I didn’t see it coming. I wasn’t ready for this forced detour. I didn’t want to be vulnerable with you. That wasn’t my intention, believe me. See, my past told me to cover up my footsteps like waves that say goodbye at the beach. I never intended to see what I’d disguised in a mirage as camouflage to hide some parts of me. I have thrown pearls to swine before. I showed men a glimpse of the...

The Difference

Published no picture Lam Ngô

no picture Lam Ngô

She eats crisps on my bed. You’re getting crumbs on the sheets. I say. And chase her off. You eat crisps on my bed. Do you mind? No not really. I pick at the linen. She lays on top of me when we watch movies. I can’t breathe. She laughs. Pulls away. You lay on top of me when we watch movies. I pull you closer. Inhale you. I can’t breathe. She tells bad jokes. I stare. And stare. She rolls her eyes. Stalks off. You tell bad jokes. I laug...

Where the Wings Are Free

Published Avatar Sada , Student

Sada

Oh! What was today’s news? Yes, a fourteen year old girl who was traveling in a bus was attacked. When her mother tried to resist, she was also hurt. The girl hopelessly jumped out of the bus as she had no other way and she was dead. Today we are in a situation where we have to jump out of the world! I feel as if a huge luggage is right over my head. That shows the painful weight of depression within my heart. When children of my age are molested and killed, I’m able to learn...

The 'M' Taboo Busted! Really?

Published Avatar nqayyum , Research/Design Thinker/Community Volunteer

Avatar Research/Design Thinker/Community Volunteer
nqayyum

At first it came as a bizarre illusion when a picture crossed my computer screen showing written-on and red stained sanitary pads laid out on a red brick wall. I will be honest, I felt uncomfortable and turned around to make sure no one was looking onto my screen. But still to curb my curiosity, I clicked on the image and read its associated article. It was about a college campus in Pakistan, where some students displayed sanitary pads on the wall to raise awareness on the mens...

From a Loving Sister

Published Avatar Sada , Student

Sada

Dear brothers, This is not an order passed by any government but a humble request from your little sister. Kindly read this before you move on. I do not even know whether this would reach your hands. Being optimistic, I hope you will read this and understand our minds. Have any one told you about the day when you were born? Your parents were so happy on that day. Whatever problems they had, they tried to forget all of them for you. They brought you up in the best way poss...

VOY across the world