Name: Ameer Ebrahim Age: 25 Occupation: Marine scientist undertaking a PhD in Marine Ecology What motivated you to choose this field of study? Having been raised in the Seychelles, where I spent most of my childhood snorkeling and fishing around the islands, pursuing a career in the protection of our precious marine life was an obvious choice. Over the years I noticed the changes in the coral reefs that were once bountiful and healthy. This concerned me g...

Mujeres producen 1 de cada 2 alimentos en el mundo

Posted no picture Carla Gutiérrez

no picture Carla Gutiérrez View Profile

De acuerdo con Proyecciones del Consejo Nacional de Población (CONAPO) para 2020 en México habrá cerca de 59 millones de mujeres, de las cuales el 35% formarán parte de la población económicamente activa. Hoy las mujeres producen entre el 60 y el 80% de los alimentos de los países en desarrollo y la mitad de los alimentos de todo el mundo. Y es que de los 58 millones de mujeres que habitan la región de América Latina y el Caribe (ALC), al menos tres de cada diez se ded...

In the first of four climate summits this year ahead of the Conference of Parties (COP 21) in Paris in December, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change convened in Geneva, Switzerland, drafted in mid-February an official document to form the basis of eventual discussions. The resulting 86-page draft -- built upon an original 38-page document -- raises more questions than answers, with the geopolitical sensitivity of more than 200 United Nations country delega...

My experience as a Blogging Intern and my year 2014.

Posted Avatar Quincy Scott

Avatar Quincy Scott View Profile

Namasté, dear Voices of Youth community. :) I am pleased to be back after so long. First of all, I owe you all my apologies for my absence and for my irregularity in publishing my articles. In fact, I have got so many drafts uncompleted and I still wish to publish these and be active on the VOY platform even if my internship is coming to its end. You won’t get rid of me easily! :) When I applied to be a Blogging Intern last year, it was because I really meant to make a di...

International Women’s Day

Posted Avatar Harnoor Gill

Avatar Harnoor Gill View Profile

“Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacity” – Mahatma Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi was the leader of Indian Nationalism in the British-Ruled India at the time of his generation. Through the act of non-violent civil disobedience, Mr. Gandhi has demonstrated great positive ways to ensure peace in the world as well as the local country in which he happened to dwell in. He supported everyone as equals ranging from the rich to the poor, the educated and the un...

Making a Difference in Seychelles

Posted no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

“ Imagine the solutions that might be found if young people are given the space and encouragement to participate and lead.” Kofi Annan Today is Commonwealth Day which is celebrated every year on the second Monday of the month of March. The Commonwealth are former colonies of Great Britain, which continue to speak English and share common values such as sustainable development and democracy. All 53 countries, although different, continue to share ideas and experience and ski...

Addressing the Issue of Gender Discrimination in Education

Posted Avatar Anant Mishra

Avatar Anant Mishra View Profile

“I have the right of education. I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to talk. I have the right to go to market. I have the right to speak up.” —Malala Yousafazi, 2011 Address to the UN Background Since its formation in 1945, the United Nations have, on numerous occasions, emphasised on education. One of the first official advances to resolve the issue was the formation of “Declaration of Human Rights”, which along with many other gu...

5 Reasons Why I Think Young People Should Blog

Posted Avatar Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin

Avatar Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin View Profile

Each second, two blogs are created. That’s about 172,800 blogs daily. With that many blogs springing up daily, should you ever border starting one? Well, I think yes! And at no time was it better to start a blog than now. I’ll give you 5 reasons. 1. You learn new things Blogging is about sharing what you see, or want to see, in the world. It’s about teaching or sharing what you know and what you, too, are learning. When you start a blog, you’ll find yourself...

The digital mapping exercise has been an eye opening experience just as stated in the title. Going into my community to identify how disasters affect my community, environmental challenges, positive actions taken by community to reduce risks and risks that lead to disasters in my community was both exiting and educative. I come from a small community but it was shocking to discover just how environmentally challenged the community is and how we have many risk factors that may lead...

VOY across the world