How Studying in the United Kingdom Changed My Life

Published Avatar Omar Hallab , Student

Omar Hallab

They say there are two most important days in your life: The day you are born, and the day you find out why. The transition from high school to college has brought in many changes to my life, and I believe my experiences up till now have allowed me to gain new viewpoints on life, ones that marked permanent changes. Frankly, I will never be the same. I came to the UK in September. And although I’ve only been here for nearly 6 months, I can firmly say that I am not the same per...

Camp Citizen

Published no picture Maria Alem , PWD & Social Development

no picture PWD & Social Development
Maria Alem

When your name echoed across the stone While the storm got mad and has blown I remembered the broken oaths of abandon souls The city that has buried me and you in holes. Once I believed, it is fair to have a country I saw bones and blood floating as they were free My caged bird decided to flee and join a tent Somewhere, the two roads never got bent. Call me a refuge or a migrant since long I stood For years of darkness I hunched more than I should...

The paradox of school closure as a form of protest

Published no picture Destiny Faye VR

no picture Destiny Faye VR

For years the Department of Education in South Africa has been promising to provide more educators to understaffed schools with overcrowded classes who don't have the funds to pay more teaching staff themselves. Quite frankly, teachers and parents of learners in these schools have had enough of the empty promises, deciding to close schools down as a form of protest. Closing down schools as a form of protest is a great sacrifice, but desperate times call for desperate measures....

So here is this question given to my class in our global citizenship course. It got me to understand more of how we can make the world better. Why is it important to engage in social analysis when trying to understand or examine a social problem? It is important to engage in social analysis when trying to understand or examine a social problem. As stated in the module, Social Analysis is a process that deeply examine the society and can help reform our world in a positive man...

Be Inspired!

Published Avatar Jack Liddall BI2016 , Student

Jack Liddall BI2016

To whom can we look for inspiration? For some it will be those who have achieved greatness; world leaders, peacemakers, Nobel Prize winners; those who have led peoples to freedom, who have struggled to enable others to live better lives. Others will look to great minds for their inspiration – the world’s philosophers and religious thinkers, the clinicians and scientists whose hands have healed and whose research has advanced human knowledge, those who have pushed the boun...

Youth Taking Actions to Implement the 2030 Agenda

Published Avatar Salam Al-Nukta , Country Director

Avatar Country Director
Salam Al-Nukta

Our globe is home to 1.8 billion young people between the ages of 10-24. The youth population is growing fastest in less developing countries, despite the hard circumstances, low living standards and, in some countries, war. “Young people must be at the centre of the post-2015 vision for sustainable development to drive the future we want,” says Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director at UNFPA. As a youth, and unlike many others, I was given the chance to put youthfu...

Words from a Women's Studies Student

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

6 years ago I walked into my first Women’s Studies class. In hindsight I can say that that class changed my life. Today I sit in a college classroom learning advanced coding languages. Seems like quite a jump, but I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the Women and Gender Studies program at Mount Allison University. I graduated from Mount A in 2013 with a Bachelor of Arts honors in International Relations and a double minor in Sociology and Women’s Studies. The next Se...

Colorblindness Makes Us Blind

Published Avatar Anna , Swarthmore College Undergraduate

Avatar Swarthmore College Undergraduate
Anna

I have privilege. I am a white woman from a middle to upper class suburb. I attend an elite liberal arts institution for my education. When I walk down the streets in protest, I can face a police officer. I have privilege. In recent years, the concept of privilege has spearheaded debates about racial justice in the United States. Sociologist Allan Johnson describes the concept as any advantage that is unearned, exclusive, and socially conferred. Many respond to s...

I Became A Male Street Harassment Victim

Published Avatar Derwayne Wills , Blogger

Avatar Blogger
Derwayne Wills

I never thought it could happen to me. As a feminist, I make it my obligation to speak out on how pervasive and invisible street harassment is. I know the facts. I know that it forms part of the spectrum of violence against women that must not be encouraged in the streets or workplaces. But I never thought I would be sharing my own experience, because up until February 3, 2016, I never thought it could happen to me. A friend and I were in Brooklyn, New York, walking to get the...

VOY across the world