Life Lessons

Published no picture Angela Vinot , Student.

no picture Student.
Angela Vinot

Today, I woke up telling myself I’d do what my heart wanted to and that was to write a post so here I’m and I mad with myself for not writing as frequently as I want to. This is something that I really enjoy and I don’t want to let it go. So, after saying that, I’m going to explain you this post. On the 23rd of this month, I turned 17 and a half years old, so that’s why there are 17 and a half reasons, one per year, except the last one since I’m not 18 yet. This made me...

Grey-headed globetrotters on the road

Published no picture Yasmin Youssef

no picture Yasmin Youssef

Last week I had the opportunity to go on a planned round trip by bus through Scotland with my grandmother. While I had already expected the average age to be over 30 I would never have reckoned that it would lie at an impressive 70 years. Obviously I found myself frustrated, awkward, embarrassed and out of place most of the time. When I called my brother hopelessly he just told me: “Hey it is only a few more days … and maybe you should leave your eyes wide open and look if you...

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

Published Avatar Richa Gupta , Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine

Avatar Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine
Richa Gupta

When I was younger, I used to imagine tripping, only to realise that I had tripped on a sparkling gem. And that gem would lead me to another, and another, which would ultimately lead me to a trove of them—a fictitious cave brimming with glitter and magic. I didn’t know what that gem was… but not gold or any precious stone. I discovered that gem several months ago, but stumbled upon the cave only recently. And that cave is The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, started by John Koe...

What Makes An Activist? Dedicated to Jo Cox

Published no picture T A R A

no picture T A R A

What do Martin Luther King Jr, Nazimuddin Samad, Jo Cox all have in common? Two things - They were activists that fought for human rights in many different ways and they were all assassinated for it. Each week at least two people are being killed for taking a stand against some form of social injustice. Some are shot by police during protests, others gunned down by hired assassins. As governments go in search of new ways to exploit their citizens, increasingly people are paying...

#NoWomanEver : The issue of street harassment

Published no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

I'm sure that you must know what I'm talking about. Created by a 37-year-old woman named CJ, the hashtag #NoWomanEver shines a much-needed spotlight on the harassment women face on a daily basis. No woman ever enjoys being harassed — and the hashtag is highlighting that with some sarcasm and humor. "I started the hashtag out of sheer frustration," she told Paper Magazine. "There was a conversation on my timeline about street harassment early Saturday morning, and a lot of the m...

Building Peace in Our Hearts and Minds

Published Avatar Harsh Mahaseth , Student

Harsh Mahaseth

In the newly formed tarpaulin encampments in the Nepali hill districts North of Kathmandu, which has been most affected by the recurring earthquakes this year as well as the previous year, it’s not just the fear of aftershocks that keep people up at night, as there is talk of loose soil. People rendered homeless by the earthquakes are waiting for the monsoon to pass so that they can begin the arduous process of rebuilding. Any rebuilt buildings, no matter how strong, will still b...

“When I go back, I will do so many things to support my country”

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

My name is Vuni, I am 20 years old and I live in a refugee settlement in northern Uganda. Fleeing war in search of peace and security Children and young people like me live in refugee settlements in Uganda because our country, South Sudan, has been disturbed by war. I am from Nimule, in the south of the country, which I left on 14 August, 2015. My Mother and I decided to flee when the fighting broke. My father died years before. Mum asked me to take her away. She wanted us to...

Inner Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder?

Published Avatar Ashley T.

Avatar Ashley T.

For the past few years, the term “inner beauty is the most important aspect of a human being” has been so commonly used, almost to the point that it has become a paltry platitude. But have we ever stopped to truly think about what this “aphorism” actually means? It’s probably a safe assumption to make when I say that the world has come to a unanimous decision that physical and outer beauty should be disregarded (even though, to be brutally honest, it still is much fixated...

Sonder

Richa Gupta

Sonder (n). The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own I am a perfectionist and high school student. Naturally, my mind is constantly cluttered with thoughts, worries and concerns—half of which seem trivial by the very next week. But by then, a new wave of stresses and contemplations would have arisen, distracting me from the world that encircles me. Distracting me from my surroundings, leading me into a tunnel which blocks out...

VOY across the world