Empowering Women Through Education

Posted November 22, 2014 no picture Briana Teran

no picture Briana Teran View Profile

Education is important for everyone, but it is especially significant for girls and women. This is true not only because education is an entry point to other opportunities, but also because the educational achievements of women can have ripple effects within the family and across generations. Investing in girls' education is one of the most effective ways to reduce poverty. Investments in secondary school education for girls yields especially high dividends. Girls who have been...

My wish for children in 25 years time is...

Posted November 21, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

I have had the most interestingly fascinating encounters with children this year alone. In the process, I have learnt quite a lot about them. Children are mostly not trying to hide their feelings. They are as easy to read as their books. Perhaps the only things not as easy are their questions. They ask you things you think you know in the most ambiguous and complicated way. So you probably understand the silence and listlessness that ensued after I got the question: "Aunty, wh...

Reimagine the future for #EVERYchild

Posted November 21, 2014 Avatar MischaVOY

Avatar MischaVOY View Profile

Hi everyone! Check out this inspirational UNICEF video that shows how powerful youth innovation can be. Today's young generation is more connected and tech-savvy than any generation before - when young people have access to education, the right technology and the Internet, there is no limit to what young people can achieve. How do you innovate for improving the lives of your family, friends and community? And what are the main obstacles that prevent you from implementing your...

Audio commentary on Eye Health Care

Posted November 21, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/newcastle-young-reporters/e...

An audio commentary by Siphamandla Mbatha, a young reporter from Newcastle sharing his story as a visually impaired individual. Disclaimer: This audio commentary is not in English.

Cinematographic Change – Inspired by Plato

Posted November 20, 2014 no picture Jason Bholanauth

no picture Jason Bholanauth View Profile

Imagine that you are sitting in a chair in a movie theater for your entire life. The theater is dark and all you can see is the wide movie screen in front of you. You can’t move because your hands and your ankles are tied to the chair. The back of the chair is high above your head so that it is impossible for you to look behind. All you can see is this wide screen in front of you and people sitting next to you in the same chair as you are seated. You’ve been watching movie...

Mauritius Island is not just about stunning beaches, the Sun, summer, beautiful sights, amazing food, delicious fruits, a rich folklore, a mix of cultures, hospitality and the “Paradise Island” that is portrayed on postal cards, describing perfect spots for tourists to spend their holidays. Since 1968, at the occasion of the Independence Day on the 12th of March, our National Anthem is heartily sung in every corner of the Island: “As one people, as one nation, in peace, j...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

Posted November 19, 2014 no picture Rachel_GEMConnectLeaders_Philadelphia_USA

no picture Rachel_GEMConnectLeaders_Philadelphia_USA View Profile

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Continuing the Pledge: Sustaining Development through Environmental Responsibility". After the conference last year, student leaders met at the United Nations in New York City to present their fo...

Across the 38th parallel

Posted November 19, 2014 Avatar Cathleen Lee

Avatar Cathleen Lee View Profile

According to UNHCR, more than ever since World War II, the number of refugees are increasing. Of course, we have the people in the Middle East, and the new group who need help because of climate change. However, today I'd like to talk about refugees who come from a place about a 5-hour drive from my home, Daejeon, South Korea. Our closest neighbor, North Korea. Recently, I had the chance to act as the Special Rapporteur when we were doing a model UN assembly in a gifted edu...

The importance of Education

Posted November 19, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

Source: https://soundcloud.com/kurura-young-reporters/the-...

The reason why children are sent to school is to set up their goals and reach their dreams.