The mask and the storm

Posted Avatar Nathalia Khawand , Student

Nathalia Khawand

A storm.A storm has come. And it still hasn’t left.She’s stuck within its heart, helpless to its power. It shakes her, spins her around, and flies her high up in the air before smashing her back down.It controls her like a puppet. It shows her the sun for just one second before throwing her back into the dark.Hope is indeed a strong thing. It’s killing her. Just when she thinks that the storm is over, just as she reaches out for the cloudless sky, she is pushed back into the chaos that it...

Hiding your true self - the biggest fallacy!

Posted Avatar Aprajitakaushik

Avatar Aprajitakaushik

As I grow older, with each passing day, experiences with my fellow sapiens around me bring me to believe new things and discover new parts of my mind and my soul. Every new acquaintance turns into something you never imagined it to be. Some turn into the best relationships of your life while the rest leave you with lessons.You walk into a classroom thinking you’ll make some friends, and yes some of us do get lucky because we end up meeting great people. For most of us, we at least expect it an...

Our world today: Post-truth

Posted no picture Ashley , Student

Ashley

In this world that we live in today, what may seem true may not actually be the truth. We are now in an era, classified as 'post-truth.' Crowned as the Oxford Word of the Year 2016, post-truth means (as from the Oxford dictionary): Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.Our lives are increasingly connected with social media - around me I see bowed heads everywhere, people absorbed i...

Boxed in

Posted Avatar Rajna , Student

Rajna

If only you knew the secret of my heart. Maybe then you'd fully understand my cold ways. Maybe then you'd finally see why my feelings are so heavily guarded.The truth is that I had no friends when I was little. Ever since I was 10-yearsyold I was alone. I buried myself in school books and I considered education as my top priority - I still consider it. Perhaps that's why nobody spoke more than two sentences to me. They all wanted to have fun and play catch while I was too busy planning my future...

Broken angel

Posted no picture niharika , student

no picture student
niharika

He breaks me every time, to show his world the side of the coin.I have always been his puppet, his bad example, but I don't really understand my fault,I don't understand his intentions when he drops me from the height and saves me for some more.I don't understand why my shameless courage builds up again and again to meet another failure.To him I think I was a mistake and so he wanted to use the waste.For time and again no one can love to torture an innocent soul for fun.He cares for me but I don...

January Blues

Posted Avatar Sambridhi Pandey

Avatar Sambridhi Pandey

Just an insignificant little creature, sitting in the confined comfort of the familiar walls and people, with the monotonic sound of the warm air exhaled by the tiny old heater on a January morning. Jotting again; those insignificant little thoughts and opinions on a feeble little paper. Builds castles in its mind that insignificant little creature, dares to an extent, the castle is unbelievably tall and such epitome of perfection and beauty...Mockery! In reality, that insignificant creature is...

Breaking the Space Borders

Posted Avatar Caroline Njoroge , Freelance travel guide and student.

Avatar Freelance travel guide and student.
Caroline Njoroge

It was a glorious day. The temperature was exceedingly high that particular afternoon and the sky was bluer than the iconic dress Lupita Nyong’os wore when she put Kenya on the pedestal claiming the coveted Oscar. Again, history was being made as the Space Shuttle KE17 was about to depart from the Nairobi Aeronautical Space Station at approximately 1600hrs. The year was 2085 and Munyaka Wanjagi sat in the women’s changing room dressing for what was going to become the most memorable day of h...

At the Almost-End of Our Humanity

Posted no picture Idil Kına , Medical Student

no picture Medical Student
Idil Kına

I almost couldn't find anything to say, because we are in a place where it feels like there is nothing one can say. It feels like we are almost at the end of our humanity.But I have to say something, we have to say something. Being human is all we have, and we cannot let it end. We cannot let it die.So here it goes...On 4th April 2017, the Syrian City of Idlib was targeted by a 'chemical attack', 58 people were killed according to BBC. Later the number was given as "more than 80", according to A...

Thanks for the Trouble: A Response, Review, and Discussion

Posted Avatar Unitika Schlawenger , International Youth Representative

Avatar International Youth Representative
Unitika Schlawenger

Considering the big fat book-worm I’ve become – and despite forced diets due to other life forces – “Thanks for the Trouble” was all together a different type of story/novel I came upon recently. As is my custom, I read this in one sitting (no I never skip along), but I give the author the credit for making this one sitting one of the best, or probably the best, in a long time now.I’m going to try to not give away too much due to the fact that some of my own respectable readers would...

VOY across the world