Posted by KristenVOY

Water is...

On World Water Water Day we celebrate clean water! No one can doubt the significance water has t...

Choosing My Path

Posted Avatar Katie Baxter , Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern

Avatar Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern
Katie Baxter

When asked, “What do you want to do in life? What are your career aspirations? Why did you decide to do that?”, I simply say “I want to change the world.” It seems like quite a generic and vague answer, but surely that’s the best answer anyone could possibly give? My name’s Katie, I’m 21 years old and I grew up in south London (UK) in a suburban town with the bustling city of London to the north of me and the rolling countryside of Surrey to the south. From a...

To be the Wild Buffalo

Posted no picture Darshatha Gamage

no picture Darshatha Gamage

The dim rays of light slowly, but steadily, outcasted the darkness of the night. The patterns painted on the heavenly skies were a resemblance of the grandeur of the mighty sun. I stood simply on the edge of the “Heenwewa” reservoir awed by the beauty of Mother Nature. On the far end of the reservoir was “Vidura”, the young tusker dipping in for his morning cup of water. I sat on the natural stone bench that lay off the water. The air was so fresh it smelled like air...

The Human Network - Lessons from Evolution

Posted no picture Jane G

no picture Jane G

I am usually not a big fan of mixing up politics and science. Especially when it comes to the theory of evolution, I tend to cringe when someone tries to explain today’s problems making use of what we know about the evolutionary development of the human species. Coming from a country that did exactly this in order to legitimize one of the most atrocious genocides in human history, I am generally skeptical towards arguments of this kind. Yet, when I recently read an article abou...

Consent Before Colors

Posted no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

#ConsentBeforeColors is a hashtag which talks about the perils of being forced to play Holi and soon people used it to talk about sexual harassment that women face on this day. Holi is the festival of colors celebrated in India, Nepal, Mauritius and while I don't really know the religious belief behind this festival but on this day, it is a free-for-all carnival of colors where we play, chase and color each other with dry powder and colored water, with some carrying water guns...

Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life

Posted Avatar Yamana Zedan , Social activist

Avatar Social activist
Yamana Zedan

Where do you want to be in Life? This is a difficult question to deal with: life is full of options and paths, the world seems so large, with so many passions and lifestyles to choose from. Choosing a few avenues to fully explore is not an easy task especially if you’re not prepared ahead of time. Even if people grow up with a clear idea of what they want to be, when they reach that point, they start having doubts if that is what they really want and whether it is right for...

Understand the questions before seeking the answers!

Posted Avatar Aprajitakaushik

Avatar Aprajitakaushik

It’s been a long time since I wrote something. Not that I have not been writing, because that’s something I can’t stop doing, it serves as therapy to me. But yes, I definitely have been out of writing materials to publish or post. The reason for this has been a long tough phase in my life which I would say I haven’t been able to withstand quite well. It’s been a long while since I experienced optimism about my life, career, and love. Everything has been either at a st...

Craving

Posted Avatar nikki , student

Avatar student
nikki

I’ve been told there’s art in engineering. Designing buildings and structures. Discussing aesthetics before you even get your hands on your first blueprint. But this isn’t the art I’ve been craving. This isn’t the art you find in words. He stared at the academic awards that lined the shelves in my room. He glanced at the certificates from the mathematics competitions. I explained to him that from the age of ten, I’ve had a future set for me carved in stone. Carved in...

Mental illness is not a myth but an understated issue

Posted Avatar Senjutee Mazumder , Student, writer and dreamer.

Avatar Student, writer and dreamer.
Senjutee Mazumder

Are you sitting within the periphery of four walls of your room and brooding? Your cell phone, lying next to you is going on buzzing, your news feed has flooded with notifications, but you do not care to check them. You’ve had a hard time getting up from sleep. You have somehow pushed yourself to get up because you’ve to set out for work. So, you are sitting up on the bed, gazing at outside through the window. The weather is perfect for a day out; the sun is shining beautif...

Memory

Posted no picture Jennifer Boyd , Founder and President of The Space Between the Notes; Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Onism Journal

no picture Founder and President of The Space Between the Notes; Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Onism Journal
Jennifer Boyd

Isn’t it tormenting? We are barred from the past, unable to go back in time to relive an experience or change our performance. We seldom abandon our memories. Instead, we generate billions of alternate scenarios, replaying each fantasy in an endless loop. Perhaps if I had earned a higher score on that exam, I would be somewhere different right now. Perhaps if I had known that was the last I would ever see of him, I would have acted differently. We cling to each postulation, each...

VOY across the world