Dignity for Dalit Women

Published Avatar Miranda Wolford , Student Ambassador

Avatar Student Ambassador
Miranda Wolford

Dignity. It is at the very center of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, ingrained into its Preamble. Human rights laws operate on the basis that every human — no matter his or her race, religion, gender, political or economic standing, and sexual orientation — has a basic entitlement to be treated with dignity. Yet, even the most rudimentary forms of dignity are currently being denied to roughly 100 million Dalit women across India, nearly 2% of the entire world popul...

A Human Was Born

Published Avatar ChaoticTranquility , Medical Student

Avatar Medical Student
ChaoticTranquility

It's the story of a girl who went from being of a specific gender to just a human. It's a story of how she broke social stereotypes and became her own person. If everyone understood that, if everyone, before everything else, became just a human, instead of the various social labels so easily handed over to all, the world would definitely be a better place to live in. A HUMAN WAS BORN There was a little girl who was always curious Inequality and hypocrisy made her furi...

An Awkward Post

Published Avatar Enana Hermez , Student

Enana Hermez

Talking: I’m not the confident, out-going type of person. I don’t usually walk up to strangers and introduce myself. Writing on paper and typing on keyboards is one thing, but talking to others is a completely different story - at least to me. That’s why, those who don’t know me through my writings don’t know me at all. Those who do read what I write might have a clue about me, but only if they can really read. I’m not someone special. Not at all. I’m...

What rights do children have?

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY
https://rerights.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SpecialOp_Susie_A3size-for-posting.png

In case you didn't know, all human beings have rights. But there are also special rights for children (anyone under 18) that are all spelled out in the Convention on the Rights of the Child. A few months ago, our friends at ReRights challenged their 'agents' with designing a poster about the Convention on the Rights of the Child...and they have picked a winner. The designer of the poster, Susie Williams, had this to say: “The rights of a child are extremely important and I...

When a piece of paper loved a book

Published Avatar Shorouq Tarek , .

Avatar .
Shorouq Tarek

It’s so hard to describe what it’s like to love someone that is so loved by everyone else. Someone who is everyone’s best friend, whether they are lonely or doing just fine, because reading is preferable at both times. I have a lot of friends but just the writer type, because you know not everyone love to write. I don’t know why he always looked at me as a very empty piece of paper, all I know is that I wanted to be filled with words and he had enough words. But there was...

Consider this a Status Update

Published Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

Millions of hearts beat in unison, pumping the same electrifying pulse through our beings, giving us the willpower to live, to breathe, to survive. It is what makes us human, the urge to exist, to live on, it is our will. Or at least, it is for some of us. Left behind in the dust and misery, broken-hearted and dejected are the ones whose wills are broken, cast to the ground, unable to rise. It is that crippled man on the street corner begging for money whose will is broken, or...

Sexual Violence in South Sudan

Published no picture Matthew Herskowitz , Mr.

no picture Mr.
Matthew Herskowitz

After a young girl watched her parents shot to death by rebel soldiers in her village, she doesn't think life can get any worse. Soon after, she is sexually assaulted by multiple rebel soldiers until she loses her ability to walk and her desire to speak. She attempts suicide, but fails. Her name is Kanyere Neema, and she is a South Sudanese refugee currently in treatment at the Goma hospital in the Democratic Republic of Congo. In South Sudan, young girls and women are treated...

Five shades of my passion

Published no picture HayaAlHabal

no picture HayaAlHabal

Even though each ‘shade’ of my passion is not even close to any of the others, the reason behind naming it five shades of my passion is because I believe that they are all part of “me” and somehow they might all have something in common but other people can't see it. Maybe there is a reason behind mine or any other person’s love of specific things. Throughout my life I’ve always had an issue with defining what I like and what is my “true calling”. I always liked t...

Advice from a Tortoise

Published Avatar Ashley T.

Avatar Ashley T.

Advice from a Tortoise Although fragile at the start, you will get stronger as your bones calcify. Understand that you are worthy – this is why they yearn to hunt for your meat and carapace. Crawl solitarily sometimes, but make attempts to find company when necessary. Patience is everything, you will learn to master this. Guard your armour with your life it will serve to confuse, shelter, and protect. Let them cut the chase and fight...

VOY across the world