Tourism and Tourism Day

Posted October 25, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/aganang-youth-reporters

Ghetto Geniuses, a youth show at Aganang FM, South Africa, explores opportunities in the tourism sector and related fields you can explore.

Paul Collier’s The Bottom Billion

Posted October 25, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

If you are up for a classic that analyses critical issues in development policy and economics, you should read The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier. What stands out for me in the book are the relevance of some issues broached for the present, the elaborate development instruments-including aid, conflict prevention and resolution, trade, international laws and charters-prescribed; his acknowledgement that there is no one-size-fits-all approach for the different economies trapped i...

Characteristics of Good Governance

Posted October 24, 2014 no picture Eric Mbotiji

no picture Eric Mbotiji View Profile

Participation Participation could be either direct or through legitimate intermediate institutions or representatives. Participation needs to be informed and organized. This means freedom of association and expression on the one hand and an organized civil society on the other hand. Very few countries and societies have come close to achieving good governance in its totality. However, to ensure sustainable human development, actions must be taken to work towards this ideal...

Education, Education, Education... The Power of Education

Posted October 24, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

In Focus: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

Posted October 24, 2014 Avatar End Sexual Violence

Avatar End Sexual Violence View Profile
In this focus piece, Youth to End Sexual Violence explores the issue of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). From the blog: "My legs were completely numb and the pain between them was so intense. I wished I would die. I felt my poor mother hold me in her arms - my memory ends at this instant until I opened my eyes and the killer woman was gone. I was lying on the ground close to a rock, and my legs were tied together with strips of cloth binding me from my ankles to my hips so I could not move..."

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/...

"My legs were completely numb and the pain between them was so intense. I wished I would die. I felt my poor mother hold me in her arms - my memory ends at this instant until I opened my eyes and the killer woman was gone. I was lying on the ground close to a rock, and my legs were tied together with strips of cloth binding me from my ankles to my hips so I could not move. I turned my head towards the rock - it was drenched with blood as if an animal had been slaughtered there. I saw...my meat -...

Ebola: How selfish can we be?

Posted October 24, 2014 Avatar María Barba

Avatar María Barba View Profile

There are people behind the numbers. There is devastation as Ebola outbreak is ravaging communities across West Africa. The real problem is there, where resources and humanitarian aid are needed in the first place. (As an example, there are 10 ambulances for 500.000 people) The first cases of people that contracted Ebola outside West Africa have triggered all the alarms. And that has lead to a huge display in Europe and North America. The developed world had not planned an...

Advocacy for the Young

Posted October 23, 2014 no picture H4WinJC

no picture H4WinJC View Profile

They plead that you may for once; Understand them with honest kindness With futile prejudice you ignore them Before they even open up to you They have so many questions in life; Seeking someone's sincere listen Behind your mask not even your eyes; Are available for their unfeigned plea They open their mouths to cry louder; For someone to their tears benignly heed You block your ears hastily dubbing them The lost generation you in fear loathe...

STOP, not in my name!

Posted October 23, 2014 no picture GHEBOULI Zinelabidine

no picture GHEBOULI Zinelabidine View Profile

You must have heard about the awful news of the execution of the French hostage in Algeria a couple of weeks ago. In case you didn’t: a group of terrorists that supports ISIS (Islamic state in Iraq and Syria) slew a French tourist, the reason was too ridiculous “at least for me”, the terrorists simply did what they did to stop the French military air strikes against “ISIS”, they’re saying that France does not care at all about the Syrian or the Iraqi nation, and that th...

Youth Participation: What We Need

Posted October 23, 2014 Avatar Abdul Mufeez Shaheed

Avatar Abdul Mufeez Shaheed View Profile

Recently I have had the opportunity to chair 2 or 3 events (in Morocco) which deal with youth and their participation in the society. I was delighted yet surprised to see the level of enthusiasm that was shown by the participants. One of the event was an AIESEC- Morocco initiative called "Youth Leadership Day- Morocco in 10 years time". There were speakers from all backgrounds and nationalities who spoke on issues such as Women Empowerment, Ebola, Youths in Africa, Participatio...