Suicide Isn't That Easy...

Posted no picture Angel Fairbanks

no picture Angel Fairbanks

You might think no one cares about you and that once you're gone everything's going to be normal. You might not think you’re strong enough to overcome this but you are, I promise you. It’s not going to be an easy journey and sometimes it'll feel like everything is against you, but in the end it’ll be worth it. If you die everything changes, you're somebody’s somebody and they need you... Your little siblings that look up to you and admire every last thing you do will wonder why? What happened to...

Barriers to Mental Health Care

Posted no picture Farah Yasmin , Aspiring Doctor

no picture Aspiring Doctor
Farah Yasmin

According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMSHA), serious mental illness is defined as " the mental, behavioral or emotional disorder (excluding developmental and substance use disorders) resulting in serious functional impairment, which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities" Mental illness ranges from mild disorders like stress, anxiety, depression, to major ones like severe...

As a child, I relished saying I was "mixed". A flower of pride bloomed in my chest whenever I told people I was bilingual, that I came from two different worlds, that I was not one thing or the other, but both at the very same time. I loved sharing photos of my bronzed Brazilian family and my pale, blonde Dutch cousins. Pointing out that I was super tall and had a button nose like the Scandinavians, but that my skin was tan and my hair dark and curly like a Latina made me special. When we’re ki...

Behind My Mask

Posted Avatar Mercy

Avatar Mercy

You see my mask again and again. When I take off my mask in front of you I am opening up and allowing you too see all of my insecurities, hopes, dreams, fears, flaws, and desires. I wear this mask to protect me from people who hurt and attack. I wear this mask because I'm aware of myself and feel the need to protect myself, scared to show others the real me. Scared to hate and be scared, scared to love and be hurt. I wish I could feel confident about my beauty to take off my mask, but I can't fe...

Zero Waste Life

Posted Avatar belenfernnandez

Avatar belenfernnandez

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to attend a conference by Dr. Jane Goodall, one of the people I admire most due to her calm presence and kind messages.During the conference, she talked about her early years and her motivations to go to Africa and study the chimpanzees. She also told us about her observations (one of them was realizing that animals have feelings and personalities, therefore we should not treat them like things or objects to experiment on) and her program Roots & Shoots,...

An Ode to Chopin's Nocturne No. 20

Posted no picture Jennifer Boyd , Founder and President of The Space Between the Notes; Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Onism Journal

no picture Founder and President of The Space Between the Notes; Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Onism Journal
Jennifer Boyd

I sink into a dream where I love bravely, and I am loved in return. In Chopin’s Nocturne No. 20, this dream unfolds into reality. I am drawn in by the piece’s meditative lull when I play the opening bars. The melody is hauntingly beautiful. My impulses to question and observe are halted temporarily as I become immersed in the nocturne’s splendor and resonance. The richness of the harmonies provides a break from the continuum as I exchange analyzing for feeling. When my fingers trace the expanse...

If Only Tuna Can Talk

Posted Avatar Yifei , Student

Yifei

If only tuna can talk, What would they say? Would they say neigh, Or would they say hey? Would they tell you about the black sludge stuffing their gills? Would they show you how pollution gives them the ills? Would they ask you to be their friend? When they lost all of theirs in the overfishing trend?Oh my, oh my what will they say? About the humans who treated them this way? “What way? What way?” You may exclaim. What way? Does it matter? It’s all the same! The factories dump chemicals down the...

#16DaysofActivism : VOY inspire

Posted Avatar Yeshna

Avatar Yeshna

The #16DaysofActivism starts on 25 Nov and the theme is Gender Based Violence. Recently I got a chance to interact with Sunny Angel, a survivor, finalist for the Heroine of the Year Award 2017, and author of WINGS.Sunny sent me the book WINGS and I loved it, and I think that it's a very interesting book for young people. The book is a memoir, a true story, which explores different aspects of gender based violence, from marital rape, to stalking, to emotional abuse, to honor abuse, to drugs and s...

The Challenge That Is My Gift

Posted no picture Jackson

no picture Jackson

“Psst, psst, hey, hey Jackson,” is what I hear from my classmates, in my classroom. As well as “ratatatatata”, as other kids tap each nail, on their hands, on the desk repetitively. I also hear and feel people kicking the desks in front of them, again and again. It sound like “Bang! Bang! Bang!” and while this is happening, I’m trying to focus on what the teacher is saying. To top that all off, I’m thinking, “Hmm, what’s for dinner?” and “How long until school ends?” and “I wonder if I’m having...

VOY across the world