What's your shade?

Posted no picture Shaza A. Bakir

no picture Shaza A. Bakir

It’s weird how we all have a certain shade that can forever direct, sharpen, define us...It’s why some of us like black coffee and others like lattes, why some of us choose the seat beside the window, the long road to home, the tune of our phone ring, and even the flavor of our tea. It’s what made Frank Sinatra sing at the end point of his career, "But more, much more than this, I did it my way!"Your taste in life literally makes your life, the movies you watch, the songs you dance to, the peopl...

Holding the controller, but out of the game

Posted no picture Abdulsalam Shaballout

no picture Abdulsalam Shaballout

“Gaming, what a thing, back when I was your age, I had my Audi and I was running my own business” said my father…I know he was just kidding, no one would ever be able to purchase an Audi at 18 years old, not by themselves at least. Here’s the thing: gaming can take up a lot of our time, while we could be out there making the world a better place. It’s true, yet it’s incorrect. In the past humans used to hunt for food and feel like they achieved something, and they did, they got the day’s lunch...

Welcome don't deport immigrants

Posted Avatar Isabel L. , Valparaiso UNICEF Club Member

Avatar Valparaiso UNICEF Club Member
Isabel L.

As a student living in a diverse country built on principles of freedom and equal opportunity, I have long come to the realization that there is still so much to do to truly have everyone in our nation be free and equal. From Abraham Lincoln fighting to preserve the Union and ultimately freeing slaves to Martin Luther King Jr. leading the Civil Rights Movement, our country continues to have issues with accepting differences. We must continue to progress forward to be an inclusive society, instea...

A forgotten pledge

Posted Avatar Ibrar Hassan , Freelance Writer

Avatar Freelance Writer
Ibrar Hassan

“Are we the most superior beast on earth? No, not in strength and not in intelligence. It is very arrogant to assume that we are the most intelligent species when we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Both rats and monkeys have been shown to learn from error, yet we have not.” ― Suzy Kassem―On the evening of 10th January 2018, a news anchor appeared on a local news channel with her child on her lap during live broadcasting. It was an act intended to mark the solidarity with 7...

Our slavery footprint

Posted no picture Ishika Agrawal , Student

Ishika Agrawal

In 7th grade, my history teacher divided our class into small groups of three students to do a presentation on modern-day slavery in a certain industry. Over the next few weeks, as every group presented their research to the class, we heard heartbreaking stories of people who had been victimized and our eyes were opened to some of the horrors that our very brothers and sisters across the globe have to go through every day. Before this, I had never even known that all over the world, even in nati...

Working out my place in the world

Posted no picture Alice Marmara , Student

Alice Marmara

I know who I am. It may seem like an obvious statement, but it has taken me a while to reach it. It may appear a straightforward statement, yet it has a hidden complexity. Like most things in life, nothing is as it appears. But recently I feel like things are different. I feel as though I finally know what my role is supposed to be. For a long time, I struggled to understand what part I could play in the world. I felt that in order to be able to know what role I had to play, I had to understand...

Politics - Let' s talk

Avatar Valparaiso UNICEF Club Member
Isabel L.

I believe that many kids hear the word "politics" or something that has to do with the political sphere and do either one of two things - instantly stop listening or become overly defensive. Now I’m not writing this to change your opinions or values, and I’m definitely not writing this to change your political affiliation. Instead, I’m writing this because I find it very important that the world’s future generations learn to shape their own beliefs and values and listen to those that disagree.Of...

On finding a way to connect

Posted no picture Madeline Katsarelis

no picture Madeline Katsarelis

The prevalence of technology and social media seems to suggest that the world is more connected than ever. While that is true, I believe that social isolation is a growing problem among youth and I don’t see these as conflicting truths. Social media enables people to spend hours watching other people’s lives rather than going out and living their own.I definitely experienced this phenomenon this summer. I am a college student, where my life is usually stressful, busy and full of social interacti...

Raise your voice for a better world

Posted no picture aparna mp , +1 biology science student

no picture +1 biology science student
aparna mp

Our voices are one of the most powerful weapons we can use to change the world; into a good world without discrimination, without inequality and with great human values. A place where the rights of each person are not parted according to gender... In our society people are put into boxes where they are treated differently and are forced to abide to a specific set of rules. Women and children are disproportionately the victims of cruel and irrespective atrocities. Many of them fear their safety o...

VOY across the world