What 'Better' Looks Like

Posted no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY

Surprisingly, we all want ‘Better’ but if we are asked about how actually ‘Better’ looks like, it is quite confusing. It’s because we always dream of better but never take action to create ‘Better’. And my small brain started storming about 'how better looks like' when the respected speakers of Miracle Corners of the World (MCW) Young Leaders Retreat, Liz Graydon and Norma Loeb explained us about the topic. Miracle Corners of the World (MCW) Young Leaders Retreat is...

Islam Is Not Terrorism

Posted no picture emaanahmed , Student

emaanahmed

Islam. When I think of Islam, I think of peace, love and unity. Not terrorism. Muslims around the world are viewed as treacherous, barbaric beasts that pose an astronomical threat on the the lives around them. Why? Because one terrorist group claims to be committing these grotesque acts in the 'name of Islam'? This is like blaming every German for the acts of Hitler. Open your eyes everyone. This is not peace, love and unity. This is not Islam. This is terrorism. And we are all affected by it....

Everybody knows Kim Kardashian as a celebrity who is literally famous for nothing. I think that she got the definition of Women Empowerment all wrong. She posts nude selfies on Twitter and Instagram to boost her social media status and to increase her followers but instead of admitting that, she defends that by stating it is to empower women. How can a nude photo of a celebrity, who has definitely used a series of surgeries to look the way she does, going to give girls around t...

Inspire with Waithira Kinyanjui: Questions of Life

Posted Avatar Mwaniki Nyaga , Student

Mwaniki Nyaga

We walk around every day, past hawkers selling their wares, newspaper vendors, taxi men, our neighbours and their houses. We observe these people around us, judge and make conclusions on face value. I decided to take a walk around, visit an old lady nearby. I assumed, based on my face-value judgement, that I would find her asleep – enjoying her afternoon siesta. I found her staring at a paperback: “The Shadow of Solomon” by Laurence Gardner. She works at a tertiary college in Ke...

Being in Love

Posted Avatar Aurna , Creative Director, CEO, Volunteer

Avatar Creative Director, CEO, Volunteer
Aurna

We as human beings are needy. We are in need of love. For centuries we have made poems, stories, realities surrounding this one thing: love. We all desperately want it, in one way or another, believe it or not! We also want to share love and gain energy by doing so. But I have seen some people who are getting extreme levels of love from their close ones, and still there is this emptiness in their eyes. They are also people who are sharing vast amounts of love but are still not...

Let's Talk: Ayn Rand & Objectivism

Posted Avatar Onnolee Brown , College Student

Avatar College Student
Onnolee Brown

Objectivism is a philosophy known all around the world. It's one that many politicians use in today's society, but it's also one that has been put on the back shelf. Not many people have heard of Ayn Rand, the Russian-American author who introduced objectivism in her early novels Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. It's a philosophy that she created herself, one in which her intellectual heir Leonard Peikoff says is a "closed system". Rand's definition of objectivism is "the conce...

Is Aid Really the Right Approach to Combat Poverty?

Posted no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

Since the 1950s foreign aid has grown in absolute terms. Aid from the OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) has reached a record high of 135 billion $ in 2014 (an 0.5% increase from 2013). The UN has a target that every economically developed country spends 0.7% of their GNI (Gross National Income) on foreign aid. This increase can be explained by the fact that it is a dominant theory of economic development, international agencies and governments that large d...

Why climate negotiations should be oil-free

Posted no picture Roy Joseph Roberto , Youth Ambassador of Goodwill, Ship for Southeast Asian and Japanese Youth Program

no picture Youth Ambassador of Goodwill, Ship for Southeast Asian and Japanese Youth Program
Roy Joseph Roberto

The United Nations holds climate change responsible for a yearly death toll of some 300,000 people. For an overwhelming majority of the scientific community, climate change is caused primarily by human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels by big oil companies worldwide. The huge amounts of carbon dioxide they emit overloads the atmosphere and traps more and more heat, causing the Earth to get increasingly hotter a year after another. To address the staggering effects...

On 23th June 2016, the UK finally settled the question that's been rumbling close to the surface of British politics for a generation: should the country remain within the European Union or venture into the unknown of ‘Brexit’? Shortly after the vote closed, politicians were certain that the UK had voted Remain, and even former-UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who led the Leave campaign, said it “looks like Remain will edge it.” However, the final result went 52 to 48 per cent in...

VOY across the world