Posted by KristenVOY

UNICEF is calling on you to save the planet...

Let’s prove to the world that young people are key to combating climate change.How?It’s easy - all y...

Is this really us?

Posted no picture Kaveesha , student

no picture student
Kaveesha

When we open the newspaper in the morning what we see are reports of mass shootings, murders, robbery, terrorism. We see people talk about the disturbances in the world, but that is it, it’s just talking. In day to day life how many people really take an initiative to do something that might change if not the world then a small section of society. After all "Charity Begins at Home." We are not the people we used to be. Instead of using peaceful methods to ask for demands the first thing done...

A different educational experience

Posted Avatar Domitilla De Luca Bossa , Student

Domitilla De Luca Bossa

One of the critiques that are often made about my country, Italy, is that it is a place where people who are well linked to notable politicians or academics reach high positions regardless of their merit. As a young girl who works hard because of the pleasure in acquiring knowledge and the will to challenge myself, the thought of this is unbearable for me.Looking for a scenario that rewarded merit is one of the reasons why, when I was 15 years old, I applied to the United World Colleges (UWC) -...

Inspiration from Diversity- Herrsching Works!

Posted no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY

“Imagine a world where everyone looked the same, spoke the same, ate the same and had one single belief system. Boring right? What makes this world colorful, interesting and fun is the diversity!” (Tina Sequeira)What does 'Diversity' mean to you? For me, it is a pure combination of differences. Malcolm Forbes described it as the 'art of thinking independently together'. In whatever way we understand it, accepting the diversity is the best way to keep the world unified.From 9-22 August, 2017, I g...

Time: The Uncatchable Thief

Posted Avatar Komal_Samrow , High Schooler

Avatar High Schooler
Komal_Samrow

Have you ever wondered where the time went? How just yesterday you were playing in your preschool playground and now you're making your way through high school?Strange, Isn't it?Why does time never seem to slow? Why does it only speed, faster and faster until we hit our final stop in the journey that is life? I think that sometimes the journey is so long that we often worry about the road ahead, as opposed to focusing on what is in front of us. That's why sometimes we miss a chance to look at th...

Building a New Life

Posted Avatar Numu Touray , Student

Numu Touray

My dangerous seven-month journey from Gambia to Europe finally ended when I reached Italy via the Mediterranean sea. Arriving at the shores of Italy was an incredibly happy moment - I was so relieved. At the same time I was a bit confused and anxious, because I was wondering what kind of challenges will be awaiting me in this unknown country.All I wanted to do was to finally move on with my life.I knew that I would have some responsibilities, old ones and new ones. I would have to go back to sch...

Once a refugee, always a refugee?

Posted Avatar Henna Deol , Student

Henna Deol

When we think of refugees, it is hard to move past the harrowing situation they find themselves in - we focus on the immediate difficulties and turmoil in their lives. It is important to remember that people can rise above the problems in their lives and serve as an inspiration to us all. Although their lives were traumatic at one point and some challenges still remain, they go on to achieve incredible feats, and the “refugee” label seems to melt away. A few examples of these strong and brave...

Understanding Children in Conflict with the Law

Posted Avatar VJM , VOY Blogging Intern

Avatar VOY Blogging Intern
VJM

At what age can an individual judge what is right from wrong? At what age should an individual be liable for his/her actions?In 2011, 13-year-old Cristian Fernandez pleaded guilty to murdering his two-year-old sibling in Florida. He confessed shoving his sibling into a bookshelf, causing a skull fracture and internal bleeding, which eventually killed the toddler. He was tried and sentenced in an adult criminal court. He was 13. He was a child. He killed his sibling. Was it just to process his ca...

My Journey

Posted Avatar Numu Touray , Student

Numu Touray

When I lost all my family at the age of 15 I decided to leave the Gambia. Since I didn’t have any money to buy a bus ticket I left by foot, walking for hours towards the border of Senegal.I had to cross five countries during my travels: Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Libya. The entire journey took me seven months. All in all, I spent a few days in Senegal, two months in Mali, a few days in Burkina Faso, one month in Niger and four months in Libya.Since I didn’t have anyone to turn to for...

Social media

Posted no picture Ysabel Gagliardo , Student

Ysabel Gagliardo

Social media means everything nowadays, people are showing their love on Instagram, or posting about the tragic things that happen on Facebook, instead of talking with one another and doing something about it.Now with all the social media is very easy to create this perfect life, you get the perfect picture, you post it and you feel good because someone liked it. To me it seems like everyone posts their bikini selfie but no one post about the struggle to get there, so they put this illusion of p...

VOY across the world