Things That Broke, Things That Die

Posted no picture Idil Kına , Medical Student

no picture Medical Student
Idil Kına

This is the story of a heartbreak. My heartbreak, our heartbreak. Next week I am going to attend a camp on human rights which the medical association that I work with organizes. It's going to be a camp about gender equality and I'm taking a few promising and motivated freshmen with me. Everything was going fine, we were motivated and excited, and we were talking about the preparations and how the camp would go... Then I received a text from one of the attendees. She was asking...

New Day, New Dollar

Posted Avatar Ridwan Ajibade , Recent graduate

Avatar Recent graduate
Ridwan Ajibade

There was this man called Captain Abu, I knew him in 2012 when I was doing my internship in an aviation company, he was a pilot and everyday he was to fly he would look up into the sky and say; new day new dollar, and then smiled. It took me awhile before I grasped the meaning of what this man said. I wondered why he would repeat this every day, but then I realized that a new day comes with a new opportunity, new prospect, new chance for greatness, an indeed a new day comes with a...

We read wars

Posted no picture Tanya Singh , Teen Poet and Blogger

no picture Teen Poet and Blogger
Tanya Singh

We do not read poetry anymore, We read wars, The ugliest of the prevalent thoughts there is, It is to shade those thoughts as your own that underlie apathy, I haven't known much of it, Except that it breeds more in the stagnant mere, Reading the newspaper, the last thing I reminiscence, Not a happy story I recall, neither with much fancy I do, The decimation of once a pacific land some decades ago, The annihilation of its innocent inhabitants,...

Late Universal Children's Day Thoughts

Posted no picture Eric Nguyen

no picture Eric Nguyen

Let us take the usual dramas of our life with a grain of salt, treat the sadness of others as grievances upon ourselves, and accept others with open arms as we would like ourselves to be accepted. We are seen as children in some eyes and adults in others, nonetheless, regardless of cognitive ability, of growth, apparent and potential or bereft of, of physical appearance, Creedence, ethnicity, sexual orientation, there is no life above or below our own. We all deserve the chance to...

Nobody wants to see the truth

Posted Avatar Alexandra Muntean , Student

Alexandra Muntean
http://healfromtheheart.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/sexual-abuse-3.jpg

In a society that looks down on those who raise their voices against certain traditional practices, only a few manage to put up a fight, because sometimes tradition is a hard thing to fight against. Changing someone’s mentality is not possible in a blink of an eye. It requires time, but the question is: Do we afford to take that time and how much time is left until the world destroys itself because of these differences? Innocent people around the globe lose their lives daily. E...

Why Nigeria?

Posted no picture Ramatu Jaji , Master's in International Development

no picture Master's in International Development
Ramatu Jaji

On a recent trip to a coastal city in Southeast Asia, a Swedish tour guide who had made a home in Barcelona and spent the latter part of the year traveling around warmer countries to avoid winter asked me what to expect of Nigeria. The question came up after I’d said to him that albeit we have some animals here and there, Nigeria isn’t ‘the’ place for the wild. “What do you go to Nigeria for then?” he prompted. I thought of everywhere I’d been and where I wanted to go...

It's 2017! New year, new me.

Posted Avatar Sama Malik

Avatar Sama Malik

Hello 2017! As people repeat every new year, new year, new me! I think we all promised ourselves to completely change and erase everything from the previous year. I also believe that we all know that people rarely make a change. This time, Let's try to be brave enough to make a real change, for our own sake. I believe Actual change and self improvement comes from embracing our imperfections and learning from our mistakes. So this year, whether it's a small or a big change, do...

We Are All Immigrants

Posted Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui , Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist

Avatar Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist
Imen Al-Nighaoui

We are all immigrants, don’t be ashamed. We all came from different lands and mountains. We established civilizations across our borders and we moved beyond oceans to discover the unknown. We are all immigrants, don’t be ashamed. It’s in our nature to wander, to move and to walk across wide lands and limitless borders. Deep down the oceans, where ancient ships sleep, you can see it yourself. Every part of the ship would tell you a story of a human, who was looking for new...

2017: A Message for another Year

Posted Avatar Unitika Schlawenger , International Youth Representative

Avatar International Youth Representative
Unitika Schlawenger

It’s been almost a week into the New Year. Don’t tell me about all those resolutions, already flushed down the drain, I’m no longer a resolution believer. I’ve bought the 2016 chapter in my life’s book to an ending with a great get-away together with the people who carry loads of meaning in my life. We vacationed where we had exactly a year ago, when ringing in 2016 – the Caribbean – and it got me thinking. I remember the previous exactly one year ago vacation...

VOY across the world