Why Being Born in Pakistan Changed Me

Published no picture iqra

Located in South Asia, Pakistan is home to over 191 million people (2014 estimate). Known, in recent years, primarily as a terrorist hub by western standards, I believe Pakistan is anything but. An array of cultural and traditional customs portray the colors of the Pakistani people, with faith at the center, after all, it is the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. A plethora of difficulties face the nation, including but not limited to outside influences. Pakistan is a nation that has ma...

The School Leaving Certificate

Published Avatar Utsah , student

Avatar student
Utsah

The headline news in Nepal for 20th June 2015 was “SLC Results Published”. The Nepalese education system demands a nationwide exam for 10th graders and above. At the end of their academic year, the students of class 10 sit for their first ever exam that extends all over Nepal. School Leaving Certificate or the SLC examination holds one of the highest educational values for the students of Nepal. Some students take this exam as a bridge to their career, but for most it is a nigh...

Inspire! With Mahmud Johnson: On Vision, Drive, and Leadership

Published Avatar Gerald , Mr

Avatar Mr
Gerald

From selling T-shirts, to preparing students for international aptitude tests to study in the US, Mahmud Johnson, 23, is revolutionizing business in Liberia through his company J-Palm, which places consumers at the forefront of their product development process. But teaching is his lifelong passion, and nothing is going to stop him from impacting lives through education. In this interview with a rising under 30 Liberian entrepreneur, Mahmud Johnson tells us that nothing is impossib...

Your Daughter Is Not Your Punching Bag

Published Avatar David Molina Shvidchenco , Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

My mother works at a high school in San José, Costa Rica, so it is common for her to talk with young students who sometimes come to her office. As it is normal for people to be different, the variety of teenagers is very high. Sometimes we may just like someone due to the clothes they wear, or critique someone for being lazy or stupid just because they got bad grades. Sometimes your school bullies are not the worst people in high school - they are kids who go home just to be beate...

Why Soap Makes Me Cry

Published Avatar Rumby , Miss

Avatar Miss
Rumby

Today was a long day at school. I collapse onto my bed, grab my laptop and stare at it. Sighing, I decide to scour Google for random quotes. It’s a habit of mine. Absentmindedly, I go to the images section and type in: BEAUTY. In less than a second, myriad of pictures of women flood my screen and I scroll down, looking at them with half interest. My stomach growls, I look at the watch and try to remember what’s for dinner. Beef ribs. Yay! My mouth releases a lot more saliva...

Normal Yesterday, Controversial Today

Published Avatar Rumby , Miss

Avatar Miss
Rumby

Misunderstood. Judged. Abused. Beautiful. No, I am not describing Marilyn Monroe. I am describing tradition. As diverse as traditions are in the world, they all have a common ground: they are subject to manipulation. Guy: I think it’s time we talked to your aunt Girl: Really? When? Boy: Will she be able to see us next week? Girl: I’ll ask her. The next week, the two would present themselves before the aunt (father’s sister) and she would ask them if they were re...

To the Cows That Conga

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

I’m sat on a train racing down to the big smoke, London. I’m flicking my eyes across the window and there are huge fields as far as the eye can see. There are teeny shrubs and a collection of trees divided by uniform lines of hedges. I laugh at myself as I imagine them flirting, giving each other suggestive stares from across the way and tickling each other’s roots under the earth, completely unnoticed by you and I. There’s a man across the aisle so engrossed in his newsp...

HELPING HANDS AMONG THE RUBBLES

Published no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY

After the huge earthquake of 7.8 magnitude on 25th April, 2015 followed by many aftershocks largest being of 7.3 and 6.9 magnitudes (BBC News) respectively which claimed more than 8500 lives leaving more than 20,000 people injured, thousands of people homeless and affecting more than 8 million people (UN), it was very difficult to start up the rebuilding the nation. But as the responsible citizen of the country, we all had to fulfill our duty. So, I joined the “Youth Work camp”...

The FIFA Women’s World Cup and Double Standards in Sport

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

This month my home country of Canada is hosting 24 teams of women athletes from around the world for the FIFA Women’s World Cup. Football, or soccer as we refer to it in Canada, is said to be an international language – it is the most popular sport in the world. It doesn’t require a lot of equipment so it doesn’t discriminate based on class or nationality. But what about gender? Are women footballers given the same esteem or recognition as men? Of course not. Profession...

VOY across the world