Rehabilitation and Reintegration of children in Post Conflict Society

Posted September 9, 2014 Avatar Anant Mishra

Avatar Anant Mishra View Profile

The changing nature of armed conflict has been characterized by the use of children as soldiers, and the reintegration of these children back into society has become a matter of primary concern for post-conflict countries seeking to achieve sustainable peace and security. While measures of reintegration have been similar in various post-conflict peace building initiatives, the experiences and outcomes differ widely from one country to the other Reintegration programmes have bec...

Adopting Global Warming

Posted September 9, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

Decades of climate change brings risks that people will accept higher temperatures, with more heat waves, downpours & draughts as ‘normal’ & complicate government plans to do more to cut greenhouse gas emissions. “Because the last three decades have seen such a significant rise in global & regional temperature, most people under the age of 30 have not lived in a world without global warming,” told Michel Jarraud, Secretary General of UN World Meteorological...

A good Road network is vital

Posted September 9, 2014 no picture Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia

no picture Luckson_VOYMaps_Zambia View Profile

Road maintenance is vital to the well being of so many societies across Zambia - especially a good road network. Kitwe is not an exception; it being one of the major mining town on the copper belt province. If roads are in a bad state this raises major concern for the local people. Especially when transporting copper and other goods outside the province. Faulty roads were one of the major challenges in so many communities but due some positive actions that are being taken now, th...

Feminisms

Posted September 8, 2014 no picture Effie Johari

no picture Effie Johari View Profile

Deviating from the prompt of '2 Lives 2 Miles Apart', this post examines two generalized views of today's mainstream feminist movement from different lenses, based off my experience with feminism in Malaysia (specifically, from a youth perspective). From this, we will come to discover what exactly people mean when they say there are feminisms, and how important it is to ensure our goals are compatible with each other in order to achieve them. - You are from an upper middle-...

Helping young talent blossom - Art Fusion 2014

Posted September 8, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

In many posts I have done previously on VoY, I have brought to you stories of youth initiatives and considerations in my country, which are implemented to support today's youth, facilitating the betterment of the next generation in the process. This post is a bit different - it is about the older generation doing their share in helping young talent blossom. Today I walked in to the Bougainvillea Ballroom of the Galadari Hotel in Colombo to witness an art & crafts exhibition....

Is it controversial? - LGTB rights

Posted September 8, 2014 Avatar MariaJoseCelis

Avatar MariaJoseCelis View Profile

"Dude that's so gay" When did phrases like this become an insult? Have you ever been called "faggot" or "fag"? When and why did people make this a degrading term? When did being gay become an illness or an abnormality? Why do people go against gay rights? I believe it's because of one thing and it's total ignorance. Some may take it on the religious side but Pope Francis said : What am I supposed to do, if a son of God comes seeking help and he's gay? Am I supposed to turn th...

Back to School

Posted September 8, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry View Profile

It's back to school season for many of us, and we are all going through different emotions. After all we are different people at different stages of our lives. But what are you feeling as you go back to school, college or university? Excited. For me the emotion is fear. Fear of failure. Fear of failing my GCSEs. But then as I sat on the train this morning I contemplated the thought of going back to school. Thinking. Wondering. "What do we actually learn at school?" We learn about...

Words of wisdom - from around the globe

Posted September 8, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Grace: 长江后浪推前浪, 一代更比一代强 (Chinese) As in a river, the energy and vigor of the new generation excels the last one. Each generation will excel and surpass the last. 种一棵树的最佳时机是20年前,次佳时机是现在 (Chinese) The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago; the second best time is right now. Chris: Ndovu wawili wakisongana ziumiazo ni nyika. (Kiswahili) When two elephants fight, it is the grass th...

Xenophobia

Posted September 8, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/ra...

The "Cracking It" young reporters from Kuruman in the Northern Cape, tackle the issue of Xenophobia within our communities. They discuss among themselves and interact with listeners on what can be done to get rid of these attacks on foreign nationals.