I'm ok

Published no picture jobenkema , student

no picture student
jobenkema

I have gone through so much heartache and pain in my life and I can't tell you how many times people have told me to be strong and to smile. It will be "OK" but I don't want to be strong and I don't feel like smiling and right now it feels like nothing will ever be OK again. I want to cry, I want to be angry. Why is that not always acceptable in the society we live in? Why is striving to have perfect control over our emotions always the best option? Why don't they tell yo...

Toys for Grown-ups

Published no picture Lam Ngô

no picture Lam Ngô

Sometimes I wish my father had had a Barbie doll. One he could groom and feed at any time he wants without resistance. One he could show off to his peers without fear of rebellion. One he could put into decent clothing ‘and not those rags’. One he could rant at and not offer a single word in retaliation. One he could scowl at and still give him the most radiant smile. Sometimes I wish my mother had had a remote controlled car. One she could keep a...

Young Freethinkers

Published Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui , Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist

Avatar Translator | Writer | Human Rights Activist
Imen Al-Nighaoui

"Dead Poets Society" is a movie that stirred a whole set of questions inside of my head about our educational system. This movie was made in 1989, and it's already been 27 years since it's release. One of my friends recommended it to me, telling me that the movie is issuing a very interesting subject. From the very beginning I was addicted to the story. The characters were well played and they moved me all the way; I loved how dreamy their minds were; reading poetry and enjoying...

The City of Peace

Published no picture Idil Kına

no picture Idil Kına

Today I want to tell you about a very special place I had been in a few days ago. I have made great memories there with the people I've met and I consider myself rather blessed to be able see and remember what that city stood for. This the story of that city. Çanakkale, located on the east coast of the Aegean Sea, is one of the two cities in Turkey (other is Istanbul) which connects two continents, Europe and Asia. And also It is a city that connects two seas: Aegean and Marmara...

Might not arrive today

Published Avatar Shorouq Tarek , .

Avatar .
Shorouq Tarek

I have been thinking all along about this; do we ever fully choose something? Or is it all a bunch of circumstances that push us towards the choice we make and finally think it’s ours, our choice. I have given up the idea that it’s only fate responsible for choices. Mostly, I have grown bitter. I became more complicated though sometimes I think that life is too simple and that a single act of kindness could change the whole scene. On days like today... On days li...

Just Breathe

Published no picture T A R A

no picture T A R A

"Just breathe, it will be ok" I whisper to myself, clenching my fist, looking at to the ocean lying before me. The water, moving as though time doesn't exist, let's my thoughts slow down, it lets my breathing slow down. I am standing on a group of rocks, on the edge of the ocean, debating whether I should jump or not. I have been battling depression for a while, it has changed me in more ways than one. Instead of being a rainbow, I turned into a thunderstorm, a hurricane, I am de...

Polystyrene: should we or should we not do away with it?

Published Avatar Wabai Yvonne Wairimu , student

Avatar student
Wabai Yvonne Wairimu

PLASTICS. They're cheap, easy to manufacture, versatile and impervious to water. They're everywhere. Most of them are also non-biodegradable which means that they are not capable of being decomposed by bacteria and other living organisms, effectively leaving us with a 'housing' issue on our hands. Some of them end up in landfills, where they are incinerated. Because plastics are mostly organic compounds, they give out carbon (iv) oxide and water when burned. Carbon (iv) oxide, al...

The launch of the Solar Energy project at Ouarzazate, south of Morocco, is the beginning of a new series of vast projects in the country. Morocco, through those projects seeks to live up to the ranks of developed countries and the rehabilitation of economic, environmental and social conditions to offer a decent living for its citizens. Morocco is one of the few countries in the world which has put words into action by directing its policies towards the use of clean energy as an...

Women's rights are human rights

Published no picture Aisha , Social Activist

no picture Social Activist
Aisha

Feminism! Why this term is so controversial and a hot issue to debate, there might be several reasons. But the general observation is that when a woman talks about the feminism and highlights female issues people start to assume that she must be against men, or maybe she wants to showcase herself as being better than the opposite sex. Feminists are considered as “aliens” especially in a society where people having orthodox mindsets. This term is actually erroneously interpr...

VOY across the world