International Women’s Day

Posted Avatar Harnoor Gill

Avatar Harnoor Gill View Profile

“Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacity” – Mahatma Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi was the leader of Indian Nationalism in the British-Ruled India at the time of his generation. Through the act of non-violent civil disobedience, Mr. Gandhi has demonstrated great positive ways to ensure peace in the world as well as the local country in which he happened to dwell in. He supported everyone as equals ranging from the rich to the poor, the educated and the un...

Making a Difference in Seychelles

Posted no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

“ Imagine the solutions that might be found if young people are given the space and encouragement to participate and lead.” Kofi Annan Today is Commonwealth Day which is celebrated every year on the second Monday of the month of March. The Commonwealth are former colonies of Great Britain, which continue to speak English and share common values such as sustainable development and democracy. All 53 countries, although different, continue to share ideas and experience and ski...

Addressing the Issue of Gender Discrimination in Education

Posted Avatar Anant Mishra

Avatar Anant Mishra View Profile

“I have the right of education. I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to talk. I have the right to go to market. I have the right to speak up.” —Malala Yousafazi, 2011 Address to the UN Background Since its formation in 1945, the United Nations have, on numerous occasions, emphasised on education. One of the first official advances to resolve the issue was the formation of “Declaration of Human Rights”, which along with many other gu...

5 Reasons Why I Think Young People Should Blog

Posted Avatar Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin

Avatar Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin View Profile

Each second, two blogs are created. That’s about 172,800 blogs daily. With that many blogs springing up daily, should you ever border starting one? Well, I think yes! And at no time was it better to start a blog than now. I’ll give you 5 reasons. 1. You learn new things Blogging is about sharing what you see, or want to see, in the world. It’s about teaching or sharing what you know and what you, too, are learning. When you start a blog, you’ll find yourself...

The digital mapping exercise has been an eye opening experience just as stated in the title. Going into my community to identify how disasters affect my community, environmental challenges, positive actions taken by community to reduce risks and risks that lead to disasters in my community was both exiting and educative. I come from a small community but it was shocking to discover just how environmentally challenged the community is and how we have many risk factors that may lead...

RYLA- Nurturing tomorrow's leaders

Posted no picture Tharindu Dhanusha Fernando

no picture Tharindu Dhanusha Fernando View Profile

Two weeks before I received an email from our Rotaract President regarding a leadership programme. After going through it I found out that it was scheduled to be held on a weekend spanning over 3 days. My immediate impression was “Oh God! Why should I waste my weekend on such a programme?” Next day, one of my good friend asked me about this email and I said “Yes. I got it but I have no intention of going there”. But somehow this fellow was able to convince me that it is wor...

Say NO to bullying!

Posted Avatar Artemis B.

Avatar Artemis B. View Profile

"Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power. Behaviors used to assert such domination can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion, and such acts may be directed repeatedly towards particular targets. Rationalizations for such behavior...

In 1988, the Supreme Court had a 5-3 vote that forever changed High School Press Associations. The iconic Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier case sparked debate on whether or not high school writers had the same first amendment rights as professional reporters. This shift in how the country interpreted the first amendment has led to an uprising of journalists and administration fighting over the right to publish controversial articles. The impact of the case has, and will continue to affect ho...

Globalization: Benefits and Problems

Posted Avatar ROCIO AMADO TORRES

Avatar ROCIO AMADO TORRES View Profile

* This article was published by Rocio Amado Torres on the course “Globalization” at the University of Oxford. The aim of this article is to highlight the key benefits and key problems of globalization and what governments can do about it to take advantage of the benefits while avoiding the problems that globalization has brought. To begin, it is necessary to clarify what is globalization? This term is used to refer to the global interdependence of people in the technologica...

VOY across the world