Say NO to violence against women

Posted November 18, 2014 no picture diana kagwiria

no picture diana kagwiria View Profile

A woman is a human being who can be your mother, sister, child, aunt, cousin, grandmother, employer, wife and not an animal or stone. It is very sad that at this day and age women are getting stripped naked on the streets of Nairobi by men who accuse them dressing indecently. Not one but four cases in a span of two weeks that have been reported without those reported still anonymous . The same men who are supposed to be protecting women are taking violence against women to...

Gender Inequality

Posted November 17, 2014 no picture Sayyidmohammed16

no picture Sayyidmohammed16 View Profile

Gender equality In the course of recent history, a growing problem has plagued the world and has also gone unnoticed to all except those who must endure it. One may think that it is the rise of terrorist networks or perhaps the surge of diseases, however this one problem in particular is a problem that has not received much coverage at all, yet affects roughly around three billion people every day. This wide spread struggle endured by many is the rise of gender inequality. T...

Where do you stand?

Posted November 17, 2014 Avatar Christopher Onoka

Avatar Christopher Onoka View Profile

Many are cognizant of the fact that the battle for equal treatment of the sexes has still not been won. But now I ask you, is there such a thing as too much? Are we rushing to condemn every little thing as sexist in the name of being feminist? Do you believe that simply because the symbol depicts only men, it ignores women? I recently saw a news segment asking that very same question. Traffic lights have, for a s long as they have existed, used only the symbol of a man. The que...

Blind teacher continues to beat odds

Posted November 17, 2014 no picture diana kagwiria

no picture diana kagwiria View Profile

The first cry by a newborn baby usually signals a successful delivery. But to Martha Munjuri, it was a cause of worry as she suddenly realised that she could not see her crying baby. “I could hear people talk and my baby cry but I could not see them. I had been in the labour ward for some days. On this particular day at around 5.00pm the pain became unbearable and I was rushed to the theatre to deliver through caesarean section. I woke the following day in a dark world,” she...

Universal Education: Opening the Doors to the Future

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture mbaker

no picture mbaker View Profile

Plato once said that a man’s education will determine his future in life, and many more have said that it opens doors for the impoverished, the poor, and the less fortunate. A generation’s or a country’s success is often determined by the education it receives. Lyndon B. Johnson (the United States’ 36th president) knew that fact very well. In the 1960s, he started the Great Society programs aimed at developing healthcare, social security, but most importantly education. He...

Hunger in america

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture Eric_UNSLCD_Philadelphia_USA

no picture Eric_UNSLCD_Philadelphia_USA View Profile

1 in 6 people in America face hunger. Households with children reported a significantly higher food insecurity rate than households without children in 2011: 20.6 percent vs. 12.2 percent. Food insecurity exists in every county in America. In 2011, 17.9 million households were food insecure. 50.1 million Americans struggle to put food on the table. In the US, hunger isn’t caused by a lack of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty. More than 1 in 5 children is at risk of hunger. A...

Stand Up for Education

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture jjdemree

no picture jjdemree View Profile

The word “education” is derived from the Latin “educere,” which means “to lead out.” An educator, logically, would be one who devotes his or her life to leading out the future of this world. What an outstanding vocation teachers follow, then; what a calling! One who draws forth potential from youth selflessly and tirelessly, committing himself to planting the tree from which his children can draw fruit, to building the cathedral where throngs will gather long after he h...

The virtue of finding beauty in the midst of chaos

Posted November 16, 2014 Avatar Pao Suárez

Avatar Pao Suárez View Profile

It is hard to believe that one of the most unequal countries in the world according to the Gini index; a “poor” country where people live surrounded by an ever-lasting history of violence and huge polarization, can be called a happy country. Or to be more specific, a country where people are genuinely happy. However according to a Gallup international survey, Colombia has continually been one of the happiest countries in the world, in fact the happiest country in 2013. I wo...

Tolerance, mutual respect - together united for a shared future

Posted November 16, 2014 no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

On the occasion of the International day of tolerance -16th November 2014- I pondered on the importance of tolerance. Tolerance is of great value and one I feel young people should promote. Having been brought up in a household where my mother, father and grand mother all shared different religious beliefs but still despite an occasional debates we lived together in harmony. Furthermore I grew up in a country where differences in political opinions has divided the country. Differen...