"Hip Young and in Kabul"

Posted April 1, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

*To fully experience the world of these young people, I encourage you to check out the full article on Thomson Reuters Foundation. Kabul is a bustling city, full of people who want to see their country become less violent and more stable. As I documented life in the capital this month, I met lots of young people who shared their thoughts about the future of Afghanistan: painters, actors, musicians, even a rapper. Many had once lived as refugees in my home country, I...

Even Miley Cyrus can never make farming cool!

Posted March 31, 2014 no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba

no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba View Profile

Recently, in my country, there has been a campaign geared towards encouraging young people from Kenya and East Africa to embrace farming as a profession under the banner of “farming is cool”. The campaign encompassed using one of Kenyas young and hip celebrity (Juliani) who has a very large following doing a tour and exposing successful farming ventures by other young people. It also involves Amiran (main Sponsors) promoting their merchandise to the audience. I cannot authorita...

How to keep children safe in a 24\7 digital world

Posted March 31, 2014 no picture Katongo Kampamba-VOY-ZAMBIA

no picture Katongo Kampamba-VOY-ZAMBIA View Profile

Technology makes it so easy for kids to connect and share things with friends and family no matter where they are. But these connections can come with a huge cost if kids aren’t careful. Learning to protect personal identity information, creating strong passwords, and being cautious when downloading programs and files are crucial to the safety and security of the digital devices kids use, as well as the information those devices store. Otherwise, kids can expose themselves and th...

Climate Change and Child-led

Posted March 30, 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia View Profile

The Zambian economy is predominantly based on the exploitation of the country's natural resources. The adverse effects of climate conditions to which the country is overtly exposed to affects these resources. Climate-induced changes to physical and biological systems are already being felt and exerting considerable stress on the country's vulnerable sectors. Already, the country's sensitive sectors - agriculture and food security, wildlife, forestry, water and energy, and human health have been...

Give Life A Cushioned Seat

Posted March 29, 2014 no picture Fasoranti Damilola

no picture Fasoranti Damilola View Profile

'How has life been treating you?' That was one of the ways I said 'hi' to my friends and foes, until some years ago when it dawned on me to rephrase it into 'how have you been treating life?' My personal response to this was: I am highly terrific and I am giving life an awesome treat! Encarta Dictionary defined "Life" as the QUALITY that makes living things and plants different from dead organisms and inorganic matter. Are you defined by that quality or do you define that quality? Several peopl...

We all need inclusive education

Posted March 29, 2014 no picture Umenjoh

no picture Umenjoh View Profile

Around the world, we see how people contribute to the development of their societies. There is no society which is stagnant since from creation and there is no society which can really move on when there is an imbalance in development. Disability around the world has sparked much fire into the eyes of many organizations and governments. From the UN fact sheet in 2006, 25% of the world’s population is affected by disability, 70% of people living with disability are in developing...

For how long does the right to education extend? Yashika Bageerathi is about to be deported. She is technically over the age of majority and about to sit her final examination for further education schooling in the U.K. The U.K. authorities are now thinking of deporting the whole family into what could be a potentially abuse situation. This is a recent article: http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/26/yashika-bageerathi-student-to-be-deported-to-mauritius-with-family-467... W...

Let's talk about health access

Posted March 28, 2014 no picture Tech Girls

no picture Tech Girls View Profile

We are a group of 10 girls in Yilonayili Anglican Primary School. Yilonayili is a village under the Sagnarigu District in Northern Ghana. Our community faces a lot of challenges but the most important one the Tech Girls wishes to talk about is the lack of health facilities in the community. Our community is about 10 miles from Tamale where the nearest health facility can be accessed. Due to the distance from Yilonaayili village to Tamale, we normally lose our friends, mothers,...

How do you express yourself?

Posted March 27, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

We all have different ways to express ourselves. We were drawn in by Edgar's unique OneMinutesJr. Watch his video and and let us know how you like to express yourself! (Edgar Piedra Gallardo, 16, Mexico, 2013). Created at the 2013 Mexico workshop on "It's About Ability!"