Pluto Flyby- It's All About the Journey

Published no picture SoumyaK , Student

SoumyaK

On Tuesday, the interplanetary space probe, New Horizons, completed its historic “Pluto Flyby”. On Wednesday morning, the probe transmitted the newly gathered data back to Earth, completing one of the most important parts of its mission. The New Horizons Pluto-Kuiper Belt Mission launched in January 2006. The project officially began in 2001. During its nine-point-five year mission, the probe has traveled over three billion miles. Once fully completed, the mission will provide...

A New Constitution for Nepal?

Published Avatar Utsah , student

Avatar student
Utsah

Before 2006, Nepal was ruled by a king. A massive people’s movement was led against the monarch. Later, the then King Gyanendra gave his power to the public. The transition of the country from monarchy to a federal republic called for a new constitution. This constitution was said to be prepared by May 2010. But till this date, Nepal has still not seen a new constitution. The people’s movement or The Jana Analondan’s motto was to liberate the people from economic, social...

Large portions of northern China were once covered in rich grassland, but climate change and unsustainable land and water use turned much of the once fertile land to desert. China has made significant effort to keep the deserts that cover more than a quarter of the country from expanding. This is mainly through land reclamation. The Sand dunes in Shapotou, a town in northwestern Chinese province of Ningxia, cover a vast area. A strategy that was developed and is currently being...

The Trans* Revolution

Published Avatar Derwayne Wills , Social Change Provocateur

Avatar Social Change Provocateur
Derwayne Wills

This blog post is a collaboration between Noor Samee and Derwayne Wills. Humans are categorising machines. We box, colour code, and label almost everything. We use microscopic differences to isolate subjects and make sense of our surroundings. It’s how we cope. But despite social pressures to fit in, some people can’t help but defy labels. Our efficient categorical logic works - until it doesn’t. Human identity comes in infinite forms, and it cannot be boxed. Particular...

Clouded Reality

Published Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

We all seek the truth but when we are given an answer or explanation it confuses us and many times upsets us. These answers do not suffice the complexity of the issue nor do they qualm our inner longing to do more and dream big. Thus, our world is clouded. It is clouded in the sense that we feel that we can never fully reach the complete truth or level of understanding that we hope to achieve. Imagine the sun’s rays breaking through the clouds – the rays can be seen but the...

Our Educational Issue

Published Avatar Daniel Martínez , Student

Daniel Martínez

Since my early years in elementary school I knew there was something off with our educational system. I first began to notice when in second grade my teacher would not let me color a picture with just a purple colour pencil. She told me it wasn't ok. To that, I answered that I did not think it was wrong, it was art after all. I told her I saw cows, grass and even the sun purple. At the end she gave up and let me use just one color. The day went by and everything seemed to be as usu...

Using Social Media for Social Advocacy

Published Avatar AllyMann

Avatar AllyMann

When it comes to organizing large conventions social media is king. Large followings make it easy to reach massive audiences with one post, or a single share. This has lead to social media being the go to channel for sharing information about protests and political gatherings and soon, humanitarians. Last year, during the Ukrainian Protests in Kiev, 49% of Ukrainians learned about protests from Facebook, 35% from a Russian social media site called VKontakte and 51% from internet...

Laudato Si

Published Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Miami is a bizarre place… I love it with all my heart and it is my home, but certain times I am just very confused. With that in mind, on Thursday, June 18th, the Pope issued a 184-page encyclical demanding that men and women around the world protect the environment. In this encyclical the Pope stated that climate change and environmental degradation are the result of vices such as greed and apathy. He explained that this greed and apathy, mostly by the richer countries, has le...

What does the world know about LGBT in Algeria ?

Published no picture Anouar Rahmani , life is love

no picture life is love
Anouar Rahmani

What does the world know about LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) in Algeria? A country in the north of Africa, near to Europe but far from its life style. In Algeria, diversity is forbidden and society is the biggest god that no one can criticize. Nothing seems to be that clear but social dictatorship. Maybe few people in the world know about this different segment of the Algerian society, or maybe no one in the world really knows about them and how they live in this Muslim majori...

VOY across the world