Old and young

Posted October 12, 2014 Avatar maryb

Avatar maryb View Profile

This week, a topic seemed to engross me. It wasn’t particularly triggered by something but instead it is a question I ask myself often ,and ever since I began to understand a little bit my situation or my world. And I’m speaking about old and new, about modernization and consistency, about values and wisdom. I’m asking myself: “How good are these changes?” “Would it be better to try to maintain this world?” Like it often happens, the answer is that we should fin...

Do this one thing for the girl child: volunteer!

Posted October 11, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

Happy International Day of the Girl VOY fam! I look forward to a world where every youth consciously stands up for the girl child in some way. It is important to know that development impact can easily be multiplied by improving the livelihood of the girls and women in our communities. This is because girls and women have the ability to stimulate positive multiplier effects and have shown great potential to affect even more women and children. There is at least one thing you...

International Day of the Girl Child: #EndTheSilence

Posted October 11, 2014 Avatar End Sexual Violence

Avatar End Sexual Violence View Profile

Today is the International Day of the Girl Child. Five months ago, nearly 300 Nigerian girls were abducted from their dormitories in a school in the northeastern town of Chibok. Boko Haram, a terrorist group affiliated with Al-Qaeda, claimed responsibility for the abduction and said they sold the girls as child brides. Today, most of the girls are still in captivity and global cries to help them are intermittent at best. We must not lose momentum. Every year, 150 million adolescent...

A birthday wish!

Posted October 10, 2014 no picture Artemis B.

no picture Artemis B. View Profile

Friday, October 10. "One day away, only one day away" is what I'm thinking. From tomorrow I will be an adult, at least in theory. This is what I've been thinking all day. All of a sudden, I started thinking: "and what about the other children and young people who don't have a chance to celebrate their birthday?!" Even today, many children don't have the chance to celebrate or to have a party and eat some birthday cake along with their friends. Poverty, sicknesses, lack of f...

Global Power Dynamics and the Third World

Posted October 10, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

In a set of latest findings, TIME says that China will take over the USA as the world’s largest economy in 2019. Evidence to support this prediction can be seen all over the world if you look closely - Chinese Internet giant Alibaba claimed the distinction of having to its name the world’s largest IPO (Initial Public Offering) less than a month back, while wealthy Chinese are buying age old family owned Wine businesses in France. 17% of USA’s debt is owned by China, and almos...

Kenya's Heritage

Posted October 9, 2014 Avatar Grace Kiunga

Avatar Grace Kiunga View Profile

In Kenya we pride ourselves as having diversified cultures and heritage. This is a major source of tourist attraction. Tourism is the third largest contributor to our economy. Most of the attractions are the indigenous wild animals and natural tourist attractions. Great effort is put to protect nature and promote the different cultures. I have shared video above that shows some of the experiences that one is guaranteed to experience in Kenya. Africa is endowed with unique natur...

Dashain – The festival of togetherness

Posted October 8, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

We Nepalese people are fond of festivals & have many of them. Among many festivals we celebrate, Dashain is the major one. There is an ancient saying about Dashain. It is celebrated for victory of god Ram over demon Ravana. Dashain is the festival of togetherness when all the family members working in the different places inside or outside the country gather together & enjoy the festival. It is the festival when we enjoy with new clothes, delicious dishes, play swings,...

THE FUTURE OF AN UNBORN CHILD IN 3rd WORLD COUNTRIES

Posted October 8, 2014 no picture Eric Mbotiji

no picture Eric Mbotiji View Profile

When a child is born, it is a blessing to the person and the family as well, because children are all gifts from God. Children growing in developing countries encounter a lot of difficulties on their way, especially those from humble background. And some end up not attaining their dreams. Though there are exceptions, most of these children especially in the rural areas stand a ghost of chance of even completing secondary school. We all know that without any skill one cannot obt...

Is It Fair

Posted October 8, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/ra...

The Optimistic Youth Reporters are from Cosat High School in Khayelitsha, Cape Town. They asked their fellow pupils and teachers about the way classes are arranged at their school and how this affects the learning process.