“Who will care for us?” and more in the news this week

Posted September 7, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

The first work week of September has been enriching. I got to know about a number of eye-opening publications released this month. Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict - a network of international non-governmental organizations, striving to protect children in war zones - released one of such reports. According to their website, Watchlist was formed in 2001 by a group of leading human rights and humanitarian organizations in response to the need for improved monitoring and re...

Dealing with Academic Pressure

Posted September 6, 2014 no picture Grace O

no picture Grace O View Profile

There is a prevalent stereotype that Asian countries heap extreme amounts of academic pressure on their youth, and, in my community, that is completely true! Universities in my country don't pay attention to extra-curriculars, hobbies, or your passion- instead of a holistic application process, universities simply request your academic grades. Because of this, schools, teachers, parents, and even students, place too much pressure on themselves to perform well in school. So now that...

#TurnThePageOnHateSpeech

Posted September 6, 2014 no picture Victor Brown Omovbude

no picture Victor Brown Omovbude View Profile

#NoHateSpeech ''The world is odd.'' A mystery in the eyes of those who are short sighted... (* well, it's just a 'phenomenon'.) From the way i see it, there's so many things to consider, when using the Media as an avenue to create unlawful awareness. The same goes for 'Propaganda', which constitutes the ''Socio-economic'' values of any given state. ''The internet is an archive of selected thoughts,'' A means, not only to connect people of different culture, but to engage them in 'mutual understa...

Let's talk about AIDS. Who has not heard about it? Unfortunately, this pandemic has been a part of our lives. According to WHO (World Health Organization): ''Since the beginning of the epidemic, almost 75 million people have been infected with the HIV virus and about 36 million people have died of HIV. Globally, 35.3 million [32.2–38.8 million] people were living with HIV at the end of 2012. An estimated 0.8% of adults aged 15–49 years worldwide are living with HIV, althoug...

Young People Take Action! - The Road to Rights

Posted September 5, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

Over the years, Sri Lankans have seen several youth movements which support the ongoing development process in Sri Lanka without any political affiliations or motives. These groups work on different fields, including Gender Equality, Educational development, Human Rights, Peace and Reconciliation, and the whole gamut of local issues and considerations faced by Sri Lankans today. Among these groups, The Road to Rights stands out as a unique youth initiative. Formed in 2012, The...

The unemployment : The Drop that Spilled the Glass

Posted September 4, 2014 no picture Yosr Jouini

no picture Yosr Jouini View Profile

If I have to pick one big challenge for youth in my country, it’ll definitely be unemployment. As a Tunisian young citizen, I have always been worried about the raising rate of unemployment. In fact, the unemployment rate among Tunisian university degree holders is 30 percent, more than twice the 2005 rate of 14 percent. Year after year, the number of young people with a university degree increases, but also a large number of them find a major difficulty in finding a job. F...

HOW TO PREVENT FUTURE WARS

Posted September 4, 2014 Avatar Chima F. Madu

Avatar Chima F. Madu View Profile

War is evil. I Hate War! You Hate War! So many wars are fought everyday resulting in after effects that will last for generations to come. The question is: ‘HOW DO WE PREVENT FUTURE WARS?’ Here are a few simple tips to help prevent future wars. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF. LET THE PEACE THAT PASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING ABIDE IN YOUR HEART. CAST AWAY EVERY SPIRIT OF HATRED AND REVENGE WITHIN YOU. DO NOT REPAY EVIL WITH EVIL. BE QUICK TO FORGIVE AND...

The Pure Water Effect

Posted September 3, 2014 no picture Leiya_VOYMaps_Ghana

no picture Leiya_VOYMaps_Ghana View Profile

In Ghana, the common medium used for drinking water is the sachet. Locally called "pure water", these water sachets are the cheapest and safest form of water consumption. Sold by everyone from street hawkers to kiosks, they are accessible to all, and extremely reliable. The expansion of the pure water production industry may be key in helping decrease incidents of water-borne diseases such as cholera. However, this beacon of hope is also digging a grave. A grave for the env...

Burning Museum

Posted September 3, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: http://bit.ly/1Cz0QXC

Burning Museum is an arts collective in Cape Town. Their mission is to make ordinary people part of history, to remind us of our stories and memories, and to take the museum to people. The young reporters at Red River Primary School in Manenberg did a "burn" with them, and found out what these public works of art are all about.