Published by MischaVOY

VOY Blogging Internship - Applications Now Open!

Hi everyone! Applications for the next round of Voices of Youth blogging internships are now o...

Globalization: Competition or Collaboration?

Published Avatar Arsafira Jaya Mahvera , University Student

Avatar University Student
Arsafira Jaya Mahvera

The world is now becoming borderless. Information flies rapidly, regardless where you live, you can always be updated of what is happening on the other side of the world. Technology grew significantly, and now people are more dependent to their gadgets than to their living company. But I’m left wondering, is globalization a competition, or collaboration? Many will say a competition, and see the battlefield as a zero-sum game, in which there are the winners and there are also the...

Reflections on Tanzania: My Week of Escape

Published no picture Noor Samee

no picture Noor Samee

I can’t go back. Because my wooden turtle and leather drum souvenirs remind me of a week I spent in escape. They remind me of warm breezes and sour star fruits and more migrating zebras that I can count. They remind me of warm smiles and "Mumbo Jambo!” and shops full of Hakuna Matata t-shirts. They remind me of breathtaking mountains, lakes, and craters. They remind me of pure ignorance. If I go back, my utopia will turn into dystopia. I won’t be able to accept America's perfect capit...

Search "depression" or “skinny” on Instagram. A content advisory will pop up: "Please be advised: These posts may contain graphic content." Search “suicide” on Pinterest. Above thousands of posts, in fine print a warning reads “If you're in emotional distress or thinking about suicide, help is available.” Help is available, but allowing posts like these does not help the problem. Why are people posting pictures of their wrists and thighs dripping in blood? Or their emac...

English 203 - American University of Beirut

Published Avatar Elio Mouhanna , Student

Elio Mouhanna

With all honesty, English 203 is my most favorite course at the American University of Beirut. It is a course filled with intriguing topics and discussions that help a student understand the daily issues of the world. One of my most favorite assignments in this English course is the reading responses. Every reading response I’ve done so far in English 203 has been beneficial and rewarding. Not only does it make me think about a certain text critically, but it also allows me t...

My World

Published no picture Nitturkar Aditi , Student

Nitturkar Aditi

I see and taste blood. Blinding white light and loud voices force tears out of my eyes, which results in even louder voices and even brighter light. My whole body is glistening with blood but I haven’t been hurt. Actually I don’t even know what it is to be hurt. Yet. I am a lump of clay – I could be raised to become a terrorist or a saint or anything in between just by what I am told and given now that I am here. I am untouched, and at the purest state of mind I will ever...

Global Water Crisis

Published no picture Rehma Khan , Student

Rehma Khan

Water; the essential ingredient for life on this planet. According to the World Bank and World Health Organization, 2 billion people lack access to clean water. 1 billion do not even have enough to meet their daily needs. Every day, huge amounts of polluted wastes and pollution enters rivers and lakes making them toxic to humans, and underground aquifers. It is said that by 2050, the number of people will exceed to 9 billion and if our ways of wasting and polluting water continue,...

The Age of Loneliness is Killing Us

Elio Mouhanna

George Monbiot’s The Age of Loneliness Is Killing Us focuses on how wealth acts as a gloomy source of happiness. The author’s main intention is to reflect on how various societies have relied on wealth so seriously: Monbiot concludes that because of wanting fortune, our lives “…are becoming nasty, brutish, and long” (para. 14). I highly agree with the author, because wealth acts more of a pressuring mechanism that plays a role inside of everyone’s daily stress once it i...

Charity - A Good Cause or a Selfish Cause? Pt. 1

Published Avatar June Barasa , Student

June Barasa
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12677143_481343452051310_1325414636_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE3NTQ2Mjk2NzA5OTkwODk4Mg%3D%3D.2

How goes it my dear friends from all over the world, it's me again, from my little corner here in Nairobi. I come bearing written news, thoughts that cause me dismay up to the point that I cannot sleep, it's 1:30 AM, I am wildly disturbed. What is charity? Has it lost it's meaning? Has it fallen into the hands of the selfish and greedy? I know, I know, charity is good, as long as the one in need is benefiting. However, one thing really boggles my mind, DOES EVERYONE NOW HAVE...

The Employment of People with Disabilities: Pre-Entry Phase

Published no picture Maria, R. Alem , PWD & Social Development

no picture PWD & Social Development
Maria, R. Alem

Despite the attempts of governments to include people with disabilities (PWD) at work, the employment rate remains low compared with their non-disabled counterparts. More than one billion persons have a disability, which represent 15 % of the world’s population (The World Bank, 2016); and the majority of them suffer from inappropriate healthcare services, fewer economic opportunities and lower education achievements. Although employment disability discrimination has been outlawed...

VOY across the world