Mixed Feelings: Capital Punishment

Posted October 14, 2014 Avatar paola.suarez

Avatar paola.suarez View Profile

The death penalty is the sentence of execution for lethal crimes and other capital crimes defined by the constitutions of the states where it is enforced; it is valid in 22 countries worldwide including China, North Korea, India, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and the United States. This topic is very conflicting to me because I don’t follow the logic of “killing to show that killing is wrong” however I have known of so much evilness in a single person that it´s hard to belie...

What do you know about vanilla?

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Ostanie_Connecte_Madagascar

no picture Ostanie_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

Vanilla is one of the species of orchids. Maroantsetra exports this product so that developed countries manufactured aromas of vanilla. Maroantsetra has no central processing of this product. The vanilla crop starts from June and ends in late July. Vanilla provides holiday job for students. It also gives money to farmers. The price is yet lowered since a decade, though the culture of vanilla takes much time. Men get in during the flowering of vanilla so that the vanilla produce p...

Carpentry in Maroantsetra

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Bevelo_Connecte_Madagascar

no picture Bevelo_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

Maroantsetra is a city surrounded by primary forest. The inhabitants of Maroantsetra depend a lot on the trees. Daily activities need wood: house construction, canoe wood, firewood, furniture. No other raw material can replace trees for daily activities in Maroantsetra. For our research, we visited carpentries workshops. We met some people who have worked with wood for over 20 years. They told us that the price of wood begins to rise. The woods for carpentry begin to be scarce....

SHE DESERVES THE BEST, DOESN'T SHE?

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Eric Mbotiji

no picture Eric Mbotiji View Profile

SHE DESERVES THE BEST DOESN’T SHE…? Women are an essential link to sustainable development and the backbones of many communities in the world. All women were once girls but not all girls have the opportunity to become women. The girl child deserves the best education, care and concern towards her future. The woman is a good manager and is responsible not only for child bearing but also for good moral ethics and golden values that will shape a child to be somebody. I want...

Transport Maroantsetra

Posted October 14, 2014 Avatar Eraldo_Connecte_Madagascar

Avatar Eraldo_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

In Maroantsetra, the main roads of the inhabitants are the waterway. The villages are connected by waterways. Therefore, water plays a very important role in the economy. Yet people practice shifting cultivation or Tavy and damage much of the primary forest. When the forest begins to disappear, sand and sludge discharge into waterways. Tree roots have set them before. The rain also becomes irregular. One can even say that the cause of the climate change comes from the slash and b...

The fight: a traditional sport of Maroantsetra

Posted October 14, 2014 Avatar Marc_Connecte_Madagascar

Avatar Marc_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

The fight or "moraingy" is a Malagasy traditional sport like Kung Fu in China. Many countries around the world practice this sport but perhaps there are specificities for Maroantsetra. It consists in a fight between two people. The fight takes place in three rounds. The one who is the strongest during these three rounds wins the fight. Each participant earns a cash bonus. The one who manages to K.O the opponent is awarded. One or two referees judge the fight. So far, there are no...

Antseranampontsy Maroantsetra

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Arlin_Connecte_Madagascar

no picture Arlin_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

Literally Antseranampontsy means banana’s port. Bananas come from the countryside and arrive in Maroantsetra at Antseranampotsy. Before, marketers of bananas were traders of yams but because the latter begin to be scarce so, the people sell banana. There are 5-10 canoes per day arriving at Maroantsetra to bring bananas. Now banana production decline because there is also banana diseases. Disease may come from climate change. Farmers do not usually maintain the plantations of ba...

Holiday Activities

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture Herico_Connecte_Madagascar

no picture Herico_Connecte_Madagascar View Profile

The school holidays start from June 26th (national holiday) and end at the end of September. Our team took advantages of the holidays to plant trees and to take care of coconuts trees at the seaside. Coconut trees grow easily at the seaside; they protect shorelines against erosion, slow violent wind and can become a source of money too. We saw beautiful beaches on the internet and still coconut trees are always seen around. After 4-7 years of growth, coconut trees are able to give...

International Day of the Girl Child

Posted October 14, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

The “International Day of Girl Child” passed only a few days ago on 11th October with the theme of “Empowering Adolescent Girls; Ending the Cycles of Violence”. I listened to a radio interview of a female right activist who pointed out two terrible cases against girls in the country. A 7 year girl was raped by her own grandfather & a 15 year old girl was raped by her own father. These are only the representative cases, probably hundreds or thousands of such cases mi...