If you want to be looked down in Cameroon vis-à-vis your career, then say “I am a primary school teacher by profession”. Growing up I know that teaching is a very noble profession and today I will and always give thanks to my primary school teachers, for setting the foundation for my success as a young man. Last year, in 2014, primary school teachers had a strike over low wages and poor working. They have to spend overwhelming hours of preparing lesson notes and teaching for...

Why create new schools with no structures or teachers?

Posted Avatar Eric Mbotiji

Avatar Eric Mbotiji View Profile

There are many villages in Cameroon without any primary school to serve the population. Responding to the needs of the population of a given area at times, the government creates primary schools in some localities with no accommodating structures or teachers. This to me is very disappointing because the government is capable of recruiting qualified teachers and setting up the appropriate structures to accommodate both pupils and teachers. If there are not even class rooms to begi...

Meet Kpakpando Akaeze, a 15 year-old high school student from Lagos, Nigeria. You may have heard of her when news spread around the world about a group of girls from Nigeria who designed a urine powered generator. Kpakpando's hobbies include traveling and conducting experiments. In January 2015, she was selected to speak about education and innovation at the World Economic Forum in Davos, where she told world leaders that they need to step up their game when it comes to investment in education....

Education in Pakistan

Posted Avatar Michelle

Avatar Michelle View Profile

I believe in the youngest Nobel Prize winner Malala Yousafzai’s words, "I speak not for myself but for those without voice...those who have fought for their rights...their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated.” The tragic Peshawar attack that took place on December 16, 2014 permanently changed the lives of hundreds of parents and thousands of people in Pakistan. Now, do you think m...

Q&A with 16-year-old filmmaker from Albania

Posted Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Greis Osmani is a 16-year-old girl from Albania, and recently took part in a One Minutes Jr. workshop in her country. She created a thought-provoking video about youth culture, poverty, and how we all fit into that. We asked her a couple of questions about the video: What is your video about? My video is about the life of a poor girl. She collects rubbish every day to survive in this world. One day she sees some teens taking pictures laughing having a good time meanwhile...

2015, A Year Of Global Action!

Posted Avatar Maurice Eze

Avatar Maurice Eze View Profile

As a matter of urgency, there are lots of irregularities which need to be addressed as viewed from a global perspective. There has been failure in governance in many countries due to the negligence of our leaders. Incompetence in leadership could be attributed to insensitivity of those called to serve. Talk is cheap, action makes more rational sense. This is the reason an international, non-partisan, non-profit, advocacy and campaigning organisation that fights extreme pove...

Smoking Among Doctors: Do As I Say; Not As I Do!

Posted no picture Md Shajedur Rahman Shawon

no picture Md Shajedur Rahman Shawon View Profile

According to Global Burden of Disease 2010, tobacco smoking is the 3rd ranked risk factor contributing to global DALYs (disability-adjusted life year) after dietary risks and high blood pressure and attributes major risk for cardiovascular diseases, chronic respiratory diseases and cancer. Tobacco has been considered as a great man-made catastrophe which leads to thousands of avoidable deaths each year. Doctors play crucial roles in tobacco control initiatives e.g. role models to t...

Discipline Does Not Equal Abuse?

Posted no picture altry

no picture altry View Profile

My friend 'Ken' had been telling my friends and me in a group chat on Facebook that he was worried showing his report card to his parents. We brushed this off considering that usually teens are often afraid of showing their report cards to their parents. He said to us very casually that he got beat up by his dad right after receiving his report card. No one had replied to this message. The next day, when I saw his reply, I clarified if he meant that he got 'physically' beat up....

BIRTH CONTROL: China’s One Child Policy

Posted Avatar Grace Kiunga

Avatar Grace Kiunga View Profile

Today my attention has been tied to the one child policy in CHINA. As I read one article after another, I can barely believe my eyes and what I am reading. It occurs to me that all the purpose of creation has been stripped off and human dignity has been swept away quicker than I have cared to imagine. The one child policy is a policy whereby each couple is allowed to have only one child. Failure to abide by this, one is heavily fined and for those who cannot afford it they may be...

VOY across the world