Looking different

Published no picture Ailen Matthiess , Estudiante

no picture Estudiante
Ailen Matthiess

For the last month I’ve been working as a manager and barista in a bakery and besides all the things one is expected to learn about running a place like this, my most insightful thoughts have been related to how people look and the way they get treated. My colleagues and I interact with hundreds of people a day. Mostly locals but many tourists as well. Most of the time the foreign tourists don’t understand why a bakery doesn’t sell bread or expect just a coffee and not one...

Guiding young couples in MTV's Love School

Published Avatar Anasoya Ramachandran , Journalist

Avatar Journalist
Anasoya Ramachandran

MTV "Love School" is an Indian Television Reality show hosted by Karishma Tanna and Upen Patel. It is aimed at helping different couples make positive changes in their lives and relationships. It is one of the shows that has revolutionized the Indian TV channels in Canada by creating open guidance and counseling forums that focus on real life challenges. The host couple openly discusses some of the sensitive issues facing families and relationships in India such as infidelity,...

Do One Thing

Published Avatar JuliaYasemin , Student

JuliaYasemin

I do realize that I may not be the most qualified person to tell you how to make the world a better place. But this doesn’t mean I don’t have any suggestions. There are so many things each of us can do. Anything, from simply lending someone a helping hand to being part of a large group, can make a difference. But the one thing I want to suggest does not require work in this sense; it requires a change of perspective. The one thing I would like us to do is to put aside our p...

Stained Glass Heart

Published Avatar Kyay Mon , Student, VOY Intern

Avatar Student, VOY Intern
Kyay Mon

1. "How can you be so stupid?!" The words were accompanied by a loud, exasperated sigh. They sounded like gunshots aimed straight at your heart. You refused to look up and stared at the concrete floor. Your eyes followed a lone ant making its way to the door. You wished you could follow it and leave this classroom. The weight of other students' stares hung heavy on your shoulders. The teacher was saying something, but all you could hear was the word "stupid" playing on repeat....

Perspective

Published Avatar Pearl Gahwera , Brand Executive

Avatar Brand Executive
Pearl Gahwera

Mary Lou had wanted to become a pilot for as long as she could remember. She could not because women could not be pilots. It was a “man’s” job, so she became a teacher. Women were allowed to become teachers. Even though she was smart enough to probably become one of the best pilots in her country, it didn’t matter, because she was a woman. Mrs. Businge, her mother, was excited that Mr. Businge had “allowed” Mary Lou to have a job. In their days, girls from respectab...

I'm Beautiful and So Are You

Published Avatar Devonnie Garvey , Voices of Youth Blogger

Avatar Voices of Youth Blogger
Devonnie Garvey

How comfortable are you in your own skin? Are you really being true to yourself? The profundity of those questions shook me to my core a few days ago. That’s when I turned eighteen. So, the hours leading up to my birthday were spent in pensive consideration. I made peace with a lot of things - but two questions lingered in my mind. How comfortable are you in your own skin? Are you really being true to yourself? Self-acceptance has been one of the hardest lessons for me as...

Do something!

Published Avatar Begimai Sataeva , Journalist

Avatar Journalist
Begimai Sataeva

Theories, lectures, meetings, discussions - just words, words, words. After a long intensive training for investigative journalism, I drove by the place where I did urban projects in Bishkek. Six months have passed since I have finished them, but my work still has an effect. People use the final products. For sure, theory is an important part of any educational system, but practice is more valuable and effective than any hypothesis. My alma mater is located near beautiful par...

Coming To Botswana: 4 Things You Absolutely Have To Do Here

Published Avatar Kearoma Mosata , student

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

Botswana is a landlocked country in Southern Africa. We share borders with South Africa, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Botswana is flat with 70% of its territory being the Kalahari desert. The main sources of income for my country are diamond sales, beef exports and tourism. Last year, Botswana topped the Lonely Planet’s list of best places to visit in 2016. Now this means you definitely have to come visit. Here are 4 things I suggest you do when you come here. 1. Sandboardin...

3 Steps to Freedom

Published Avatar Lightwell , Junior Facilitator, Researcher and Poet. Law Student at the University of South Africa

Avatar Junior Facilitator, Researcher and Poet. Law Student at the University of South Africa
Lightwell

The most pertinent topic concerning youth is obviously the issue of unemployment. The last year and previous ones have seen people in Zimbabwe laid off, jobs being scarcer and global unemployment levels rising by the day. For a long time I have despaired with shattered hopes and dreams because I was raised believing in a certain lifecycle. One is born, they get an education, they work for someone for some years, they invest in property and marry, they teach their children, they...

VOY across the world