An Open Letter To Those Who Are Fighting Mental Breakdown

Posted no picture UNICEF Cambodia , Voices of Youth Internship Programme, Cambodia

no picture Voices of Youth Internship Programme, Cambodia
UNICEF Cambodia

Are you feeling mentally suffocated, like the whole world is sucking oxygen out of your entire body? Do you feel like giving up and letting go of everything because you’re carrying something too heavy, and the earth’s gravity is pulling you down, and it is so strong that you can’t even stand properly? Does it hurt your chest just to breath in and breath out? Are you feeling so small when walking down the street along the crowded rows? Are you starting to enjoy staying in the dark because the lig...

We, our minds, and the wild things

Posted Avatar Rajna Removic , Student

Rajna Removic

Oh, where all the wild things are, there rests my soul. Surely dancing among the thorns of heavily scented roses, surely waiting for her time to step into the real world. To live a little bit less in her head. Oh lord! I have just realized: I’ve spent most of my life closed-up in there! How beautifully limiting. Or limitless? Because one needs an open and understanding environment to be his own person and do his own things.Perhaps my mind has been the most appropriate environment so far. I do no...

It'll Be Okay

Posted no picture MegLaw , It'll Be Okay

no picture It'll Be Okay
MegLaw

Sometimes I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling,To figure out exactly what I’m feeling.I hate going to funerals not knowing what to do.I don’t know whether to cry and scream too.So I just stand there looking at the open casket,Feeling like an empty basket.My mom tells me it’s okay to cry,But somehow my eyes always end up dry.I feel like my soul is lost somewhere else,Living in a different world of all hells.Everyone says it’ll be okay,And maybe it will someday.I've gone to a few funerals in my d...

Why I want to become a nutritionist!

Posted Avatar Pona Bana

Avatar Pona Bana

My name is Olga, I’m 15 years old and I am President of the Kasaï Oriental young reporters. For World Children’s Day, UNICEF asked me where I see myself in 2030. Here is my answer, with my dreams for my future and those of the children in my province.First, let me introduce myself. In October 2016, I was trained on the rights of the child as well as petitioning and involvement techniques to become a Young Reporter. Since then, I have participated in many activities to make changes in my province...

An Open Letter to Myself

UNICEF Cambodia

Dear self,How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I know life has been tough but you have done quite a good job to stay alive. Thank you for not giving up.Life is not a straight line, it goes up and down. If you are sometimes happy or sometimes sad, be glad because this is life. If you don’t want these ups and downs in life, then that is as good as wanting death.The challenges you have gone through, and those you will face in the future, may break you down. It makes you think about your se...

The art of giving hope.

Posted no picture Liz Melvine , Student

Liz Melvine

We all hope for a better day. We hope to live to see our future and the future of our children. We hope to see our families prosper and move on to greater things. Hope is such a common word that we tend to forget the true meaning behind it.I hope for good health. I hope for my mother to get her strength and leave the hospital bed. I hope she finds the joy she seeks in her life and find the peace she once had.Have we ever asked ourselves how we find hope and what next? It comes from the little th...

Questioning Social Norms and Fighting Against Discrimination

UNICEF Cambodia

Individually, we all have different experiences in life. In a nutshell, whether you live in Cambodia or somewhere else in the world, basically you will always be confronted with the dilemma between choosing to live your life satisfying social norms or having your own lifestyle free from social pressures. Either way you choose, each has its own benefits and consequences.Sadly, individualism is not valued very often. Following the crowd is a trend here.If you decide to walk your own path independe...

Making The World A Better Place For The Transgender Community

UNICEF Cambodia

In Cambodia, as well as around the world, the topic of transgender rights is not always included in conversations. There is a lack of representation and basic understanding of transgender people, and undeniably, there is also a lot of discrimination towards people in this group.In the United States, there have been “33 hate-violence-related homicides of LGBT people, according to the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs’ count”, as stated in an article by Buzzfeed in August 2017, accordin...

In 1992, the Union of Concerned Scientists gave humanity a bleak warning message regarding the future of the planet. Backed by the signatures of 1700 scientists, this “Warning to Humanity” talked about the excessive consumption of natural resources and the dramatic effects of pollution. This month, 25 years later, the same Union released a new “Warning to Humanity”, urging people and authorities to take action now, as the fate of our planet is still in danger. Not only have the concerns stated i...

VOY across the world