Empowered communities, collective choices

Posted July 16, 2014 Avatar sonnakadie

Avatar sonnakadie View Profile

Every delivery of The Somali mother has been agonizing: the third ended in miscarriage and subsequent gynaelogical problems, including a fistula. Her doctor says he is kept busy dealing with complications caused by FGM/C. “FGM puts a strain on the health system.” Because FGM/C is a deeply entrenched social norm, the decision to abandon FGM/C requires a process of social change that enables communities to discuss, reflect and reach consensus. Since change cannot be effectively imposed from th...

My name is Habon, I am a 17 year old youth advocate. I have been campaigning in Bristol about Female Genital Mutilation for three years as part of a youth group called Empowering. Empowering have been very active in the campaign against FGM by hosting our own conference and performing our own poetry. It’s your wedding day. They said it would be one of the happiest days of your life. At your friend’s wedding the bride and the groom had shed tears of joy. You thought that would...

We had the pleasure of talking to Leyla Hussain, the co-founder of the charity Daughters of Eve. Daughters of Eve works to protect young girls and women who are at risk of female genital mutilation (FGM). She is also the Chief Executive of Hawa's Haven, a collective of Somali women campaigners and activists who raise awareness about gender-based violence in the UK and the horn of Africa. Here at #YouthForChange, we were really interested in hearing what she had to say about young...

Islam and the West By Lisa DePasquale

Posted July 16, 2014 no picture Elhachemi Sabi

no picture Elhachemi Sabi View Profile

Islam, a faith that is so similar to Christianity yet so different has left many confused yet it is a prevalent faith that has dominated in numbers. Why is it the second largest religion in the world yet the average American has limited if not any knowledge of this religion? It is sickening that those who claim to know the “true” Islam are actually the ones that have no conception of it, or in reality Christianity. I once had a discussion with a friend about Islam and I was...

Global Survey on Youth

Posted July 16, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth activists from different parts of the world, who were specialising in a diverse areas of work, ranging from gender equality to youth-led development. Taking a step further, I have applied to be...

Don't Abuse Me! Use Me!

Posted July 15, 2014 no picture chilufya_connect_zambia

no picture chilufya_connect_zambia View Profile

A Child is a person below the legal age of 18 years, as stipulated by the laws of Zambia. By virtue of been human children are entitled to rights which are known as child rights. It is unfortunate that despite Zambia been a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), the majority of the Zambian children suffer from various socio-economic challenges, such as increasing household poverty, child labour, child trafficking, early marriages HIV/AIDS,...

TOXford Circus. The circus you wouldn't want to go to.

Posted July 15, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry View Profile

The road many Londoners have now dubbed TOXford Street, is in the limelight for having the highest levels of pollution in Europe and possibly the world. London's (in)famous shopping district popular with locals and tourist alike has unacceptably high levels of Nitrogen Dioxide. And it's not hard to see why, take a stroll down Oxford Street (albeit whilst holding your breath) and you'll notice the endless streams of red busses, broken only by the odd black cab. As the summer...

The Wrong Kind of Different

Posted July 15, 2014 Avatar Galya Stoyanova

Avatar Galya Stoyanova View Profile

Today is modern to be different. Different from the crowd, to stand out, to be unique in a way. In this way you feel important, you feel special, you are “cool”. But most of people never notice one small fact. This outcome could be reached when it depends on your personal choice. When you decide to be different. And it does not apply when you are born different. This state it's a whole different story. Or as I like to call it – the wrong kind of different. With modern tec...

The Question of Abortion

Posted July 15, 2014 Avatar Jessica Owens

Avatar Jessica Owens View Profile

“No woman can call herself free who does not control her own body.” - Margaret Sanger The question of abortion policy has been a divisive issue for both states and for communities. Intense debates and protests have followed abortion policies, and it is an issue which is not easily resolved. It is very difficult to say that abortion HAS to be legal/illegal because it can often depend on the women’s circumstances and her (and her partners) beliefs. There are two very differ...