Lin-Manuel Miranda: A Man Changing the World

Posted Avatar Onnolee Brown , College Student

Avatar College Student
Onnolee Brown

I've always been a fan of musicals, actually ever since I grew up I've been watching people sing and dance on my television. In 2015 a musical that has helped changed society opened on Broadway. It became a smash hit for a young audience, and even an adult audience. This musical is called Hamilton, the life story of Alexander Hamilton, performed by a rapping cast. Lin-Manuel Miranda continues to change my perspective of the world, as I can now call him my idol. At the Tony's this...

I answered a Twitter question that asked: "If you could design the perfect city or neighborhood, what would it look like?" My answer is: I could like to design the perfect city or neighborhood with schools and parks. Children deserve the right to live normally including right to health, education and other social services as part of their human rights. Schools should provide scholarships, facilities such as classrooms and books and teachers for them to learn subjects such as...

Shoppin ain't my thing

Posted Avatar Raquel Frescia , Student

Raquel Frescia

Shopping ain't my thing. Today, my best friend told me she was going shopping because she was so stressed. Apparently, that "relaxes her". For some reason, to me, going shopping has the opposite effect. Let's talk about sizes. Cloth usually don't fit me. Few weeks ago I wanted to buy a pair of high waist jeans, it was a nightmare. I couldn't find any small waist and large hips on the same pair! Brands make their products according to the public they want to reach. Then, i...

The Child

Posted Avatar Yaz Kolankaya , Student

Yaz Kolankaya

It was right then and there that he realized all his jokes that bring the house down, all his games and ploys that make women chase him around, all his hard work both at school and his business, all his donations to charities, all he has ever done, and is still doing, were to get people to love him. Because no one had ever loved him as a child. His steel-hearted father and carefree mother had not loved him for a minute, not the way one usually loves and cares for their child. He...

How time flies

Posted Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

It’s been almost one month since I published my last post. The last post of my internship. And how my life has changed since then! The day before my post went online, I left home for college. Okay, that may be a bit exaggerated. I did not really leave home. I can go back every weekend. But I did start a new chapter in my life. I told you in my last post that I had to turn the page and I did. One month ago, I never could have imagined this chapter would be like this. I feel li...

October 1, 2016 A Person Accused Of A Crime Should Be Able To Go To trial Without Undue Delay By Renee Morgan Justice delayed is justice denied. We’ve all heard it, but how is this precept demonstrated within our political and civil justice systems? The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) indicates that anyone who is arrested and charged with a criminal act has the right to a speedy trial. Can people accused of a crime really expect due proce...

Is Property a Human Right?

Posted no picture Lindsey Cummins , Student

Lindsey Cummins

We as humans have many rights. These rights sometimes come with issues. The right I am going to be discussing is the right to own property and decide what happens to it when you die. Article 17 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights discusses this right and clearly states that “Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property (1).” This means that as humans, it is our right to own prop...

The Investigatory Powers Bill, publicly rebranded as the ‘Snooper’s Charter’, was first introduced by Theresa May as Home Secretary and comfortably passed votes for its final reading in the House of Commons this year by 444 votes to 69. The Bill will allow certain UK public authorities access to request communications data for a permitted purpose, including retaining personal internet data for 12 months and allowing mobile phones to be bugged. The purpose behind the Bill was...

Black Days

Posted no picture Wisam El , Student

Wisam El

Like any human being on the earth we wished that summer would be better than the previous one. We wanted to have fun. But sadly, whenever the candle glows stronger it will melt more quickly. All our plans became a mirage. The darkest days have come. Panic and noise were here and there. All became as if they were looking to their destiny with own eyes. Radio became the most spread sound everywhere instead of birds' songs as it used to be. Ravens were annoying in the sky, wakin...

VOY across the world