Let's Talk: Ayn Rand & Objectivism

Posted Avatar Onnolee Brown , College Student

Avatar College Student
Onnolee Brown

Objectivism is a philosophy known all around the world. It's one that many politicians use in today's society, but it's also one that has been put on the back shelf. Not many people have heard of Ayn Rand, the Russian-American author who introduced objectivism in her early novels Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. It's a philosophy that she created herself, one in which her intellectual heir Leonard Peikoff says is a "closed system". Rand's definition of objectivism is "the conce...

Is Aid Really the Right Approach to Combat Poverty?

Posted no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

Since the 1950s foreign aid has grown in absolute terms. Aid from the OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) has reached a record high of 135 billion $ in 2014 (an 0.5% increase from 2013). The UN has a target that every economically developed country spends 0.7% of their GNI (Gross National Income) on foreign aid. This increase can be explained by the fact that it is a dominant theory of economic development, international agencies and governments that large d...

Why climate negotiations should be oil-free

Posted no picture Roy Joseph Roberto , Youth Ambassador of Goodwill, Ship for Southeast Asian and Japanese Youth Program

no picture Youth Ambassador of Goodwill, Ship for Southeast Asian and Japanese Youth Program
Roy Joseph Roberto

The United Nations holds climate change responsible for a yearly death toll of some 300,000 people. For an overwhelming majority of the scientific community, climate change is caused primarily by human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels by big oil companies worldwide. The huge amounts of carbon dioxide they emit overloads the atmosphere and traps more and more heat, causing the Earth to get increasingly hotter a year after another. To address the staggering effects...

On 23th June 2016, the UK finally settled the question that's been rumbling close to the surface of British politics for a generation: should the country remain within the European Union or venture into the unknown of ‘Brexit’? Shortly after the vote closed, politicians were certain that the UK had voted Remain, and even former-UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who led the Leave campaign, said it “looks like Remain will edge it.” However, the final result went 52 to 48 per cent in...

Inspire! - By My Own Standards

Posted Avatar Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo , Student - Political Science

Avatar Student - Political Science
Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo

After spending some time wondering who the best person to feature here was, I realised that the best person to interview was there all along. The following questions were asked to my best friend, Carissa Reid. She is selfless Jamaican soul who has been my mentor and my role model. Her interests range from feminism to dance and even math. Hopefully, you will find in the following questions the passion she speaks with and the dreams she wishes to fulfil. I hope that in the same way s...

Based on a true story

Posted Avatar Shorouq Tarek , .

Avatar .
Shorouq Tarek

Never give up on the tiniest ray of hope. On repeat. But it doesn’t always work out that way. My Grandpa was one of those people you would definitely feel delighted to meet, they say. Although I never met him, I hear stories about him that make me wish I was there every single time. He was that kind of man that is brave enough to defeat failure by determination. My mom told me that whenever it got really hard and life pushed him to the edge, he used the power of his imagina...

Say a 'hey'

Posted no picture Tamanna , Student

Tamanna

It is amazing how we run into strangers, Maybe in high school or a cab or a train full of passengers. Don't be in dilemma, if destiny drops someone in your way, You can begin with saying a hello or hey. When you talk and trade smiles, You will be a stranger to be remembered from miles. Or who knows you will end up becoming friends with someone who is full of life or inspiring, And be happy that you said a 'hey' rather than regreting later for not trying. If yo...

Small Step, Big Change

Posted Avatar Alyssa Oresca , Student

Alyssa Oresca

The Philippines is an archipelago composed of 7,107 beautiful islands rich in natural resources with immense biodiversity. We were blessed with all these resources, but sadly they become lesser each day. Why? It’s because we don’t know how to use them properly. Our only home planet is turning into a big garbage dump and we must do something about it. All our forests, rivers, seas, oceans, and grasslands used to be abundant and our earth used to be greener than ever, but look ar...

Let us invest in our sisters

Posted no picture Sihle Magagula

no picture Sihle Magagula

Though miles away, I think about my sisters every single day. My sisters are young and fragile. Whenever I look at them, I see not just the mere future but leaders who will create the future itself. I think about how I can help them achieve all that is in them. Sometimes, I even think I am doing too much especially when I buy my sisters a lot of books, to the point that they start complaining. But who can blame a brother who loves his sisters? Actually, what I am doing is inves...

VOY across the world