Huxley A, Brave New World

Posted October 7, 2014 Avatar paola.suarez

Avatar paola.suarez View Profile

I have never enjoyed reading much, probably because when education has a mistaken approach (as it is both in Colombia and in Chile) grades are more important than learning, and reading is everything but pedagogical or enriching. However one day it all changed when I found a webpage that shared classic books from top writers all over the world. In fact I read Animal Farm in 2 full days; Love in a Time of Cholera in 3 nights and the Metamorphosis in probably a day. I can’t ev...

Power of the People - consumerism

Posted October 7, 2014 no picture Angélique Pouponneau

no picture Angélique Pouponneau View Profile

I've always believed and advocated that power lies with the people, that is the majority rather the few at the top. This is based on the rationale that it is the majority that votes to put someone in a that position and therefore can vote to take them out. The power is with the people. I wonder if the same can apply in the consumer world. The consumer world works on supply and demand. Methane is as lethal or more lethal than carbon dioxide emission. One of the greatest emitte...

Human Trafficking

Posted October 7, 2014 no picture Nyasha Piloto

no picture Nyasha Piloto View Profile

It is rather too easy, borderline human instinct to pass judgement on ''ladies of the night'' that we encounter in the streets. Back when I was still closed minded and impressionable by characters that surrounded me, I too was no exception to this. It is amazing how different dynamics of life present themselves when you sit down and listen to a person's story. Having actually visited a female sex worker in her lavish home (where her pimp put her up) we had a lengthy conversations...

FOR BETTER FOR WORSE?

Posted October 7, 2014 Avatar Grace Kiunga

Avatar Grace Kiunga View Profile

Today morning on the Classic FM radio in Kenya I couldn't help hearing a debate about women who started off with a man when both had nothing. They loved and treasured them for who they were and they shared the little they had. Ten years down the line, the man has a family with the woman and through combined effort they have amassed a lot of wealth. And then out of the blues, the man wants to marry a second wife. I couldn't control the emotions that tore inside me as I listened...

Feeding mouths; is it a child's responsibility?

Posted October 6, 2014 no picture christinemwanachilenga_connect_zambia

no picture christinemwanachilenga_connect_zambia View Profile

Is it a child’s responsibility to feed his family or siblings? More especially if the child is only 12-years-old? Poverty being a state of lacking, certain needs like food and clothes drags children into child labour. In Luanshya, a small town in Zambia, there are homes that are child-headed and some children are street vendors which makes it hard for them to get fed or go to school. If you were to walk in the streets that lead to the industrial area in Luanshya where scrap m...

Do one thing

Posted October 5, 2014 Avatar paola.suarez

Avatar paola.suarez View Profile

Hello guys, the world is full of possitive things that we can do to make the world a better place, from random acts of kindness to saving other´s lives (for example donating an organ or even blood) Im sharing this beautiful video from "Playing for Change" to showcase how easily people from different cultures, gender and countries can come togehter and raise their voice to armonize a single call: freedom and justice is the melody that let us shine on ;) Here the top 5 things I...

Occupy Central- What's Happening in Hong Kong?

Posted October 4, 2014 no picture Grace O

no picture Grace O View Profile

If you have been reading the news recently, you will probably know about Occupy Central, a protest movement that is currently happening in Hong Kong. As a citizen of Hong Kong, I have been following it closely. What is Occupy Central? Basically, Occupy Central is a protest movement in Hong Kong mainly calling for democracy. Why is Occupy Central happening? This traces back to many years ago, before Hong Kong was a part of China. When Hong Kong was handed over to China i...

Dreams do come true! You can make it!

Posted October 4, 2014 no picture Artemis B.

no picture Artemis B. View Profile

That moment when people of your inner circle don't believe in you.It's really frustruating,isn't it? You maybe start thinking: "Why? Why don't they believe in me"? or "Am I really that useless?'' and different things like that come to your mind.If you see yourself into these lines,then I can proudly tell you this: Go ahead. Many times members of your family,friends,even people of your community who know you,when you tell them that your dream is to do this thing,or go to that pl...

Youths Take Action Against Human Trafficking

Posted October 3, 2014 no picture Effie Johari

no picture Effie Johari View Profile

Youths are seen often as a shallow age group concerned mainly with things that benefit them. Far from this stereotypical idea of selfishness, youths worldwide including my country have contributed to many causes that we feel passionately about. In 2011, a group of youths banded together to combat the issue of human trafficking. It’s easy to dismiss an issue if you have managed to convince yourself that it doesn’t concern you. Case in point: the modern-day version of slavery...