Oblivion

Posted no picture Limo Yoni , Student

Limo Yoni

We all want to be remembered when we are gone. We want to live throughout history, to make our mark on the world. We want to watch time fly past and know that you have been here a thousand lifetimes. We want our love to last eternally, to bypass 'till death do us part'. We seek to defy the intricate norms of mother nature: we all come and we all must go. Some even believe in reincarnation; I live, I die, I live again. We do not want to stoop to a slow death in our octogenarian years. We want to...

Tear gas,Pepper spray, Rubber bullets and Stun grenades - The Fight For Education

Posted Avatar Thuthukani Ndlovu , Student, Blogger and Marketing Intern

Avatar Student, Blogger and Marketing Intern
Thuthukani Ndlovu

Tear gas, pepper spray, Rubber bullets and stun grenades. Tear gas, pepper spray, Rubber bullets and stun grenades. Tear gas: a gas used that causes tears To pour out of a students irritated eyes, While trying to fight a system That has feeding them with lies. Pepper spray: a spray used to spray their eyes In order to try and blur their vision, Because not only are their eyes now wide open, Their minds are openly fed up with the flaws of the syste...

The Ethics of football

Posted no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

no picture Yasmin Al Bardawiye

Has the importance of soccer come out of proportion? Around the globe millions of people are following soccer events like the world cup, the European championships but also smaller events like the Champions League and Laliga. Soccer is almost an exclusively spectator sport, which in simple terms means that more people watch it instead of playing it and for many fans it is more than “just a game”. This can be especially observed in the fan blocks during games. Soccer has creat...

Introduction On December 20, 2015, the United Nations outgoing Secretary General, Banki Moon during presentation of the ‘Plan of Action to prevent violent extremism’ described youth as an ‘untapped resource’ that must be empowered to make positive contributions to the development of their nations[i]. The UNSCR 2250[ii] without prejudice to national and regional variations defines youth as persons between the ages 18-29. The United Nations has called the attention of t...

Renewable energy rising in Southeast Asia

Posted no picture John Leo Algo , Climate Advocate

no picture Climate Advocate
John Leo Algo

The ASEAN economic integration has laid out a foundation for robust regional economic growth. With the Paris Agreement entering into force on November 4, its member countries are looking to shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy to power their development. Southeast Asian nations have collectively outpaced the rest of the world in GDP growth since the 1970s, primarily as a result of the expansion of its labor force and productivity improvements fueled by agricultural and i...

Hungry for Justice

Posted no picture Teah Argent , Tennis Coach

no picture Tennis Coach
Teah Argent

I don’t know about you, but food is one of my favorite things, I eat when I’m hungry, sad, happy and bored. There is always more than enough food at my house, I’ll fill my plate then throw half of it out twenty minutes later. Here in Australia this is the norm, we live a life of excess and waste. When someone throws out perfectly good food we joke around saying “think of the children in Africa”, the joke is that after we finish laughing and move onto the next topic we nev...

woMEN

Posted no picture Meegin McCormick , Student

Meegin McCormick

We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes, but I can see that they are and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence. If men don’t have to be aggressive in order to be accepted, women won’t feel compelled to be submissive. If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled. Women are put down, judged and forced to be people they are not. Most girls aren't even allowed to go to school, p...

How I Plan to Trash Less and Treasure More

Posted Avatar calliekg

Avatar calliekg

One thing that is great about our generation is that you do not have to be a scientist to be passionate about the protection of our planet. Even though I’m not a climate change expert (and super bad at science), I want to be a positive contributor to these solutions. I can’t help but notice that I’m not alone! Children and young people take action every day. Similarly, UNICEF isn’t a climate change organization, but wants to contribute to the solutions. UNICEF has learned...

I see children today

Posted Avatar Unitika Schlawenger , International Youth Representative

Avatar International Youth Representative
Unitika Schlawenger

I see children today and my heart cries, For the children who live in fear, Not only because of playground bullies, But your missiles. For the children who, Despite your war, March with the world’s strength To make-shift schools. For the children, Who you deprive, The promise of a pencil.. But I still see the promise, In their souls And my heart cries, For the children, Who are lost in life. For the childr...

VOY across the world