Fix Society - Transgender People and HIV/AIDs

Posted no picture Joanna

no picture Joanna View Profile

5:30 PM on December 28th 2014, a scheduled post hit tumblr saying “Either I live the rest of my life as a lonely man who wishes he were a woman or I live my life as a lonelier woman who hates herself.” The owner of the blog and writer of the post, Leelah Alcorn, chose neither and killed herself by vehicular impact. She jumped in front of a semi-trailer just before 2:30 AM. Her mother soon went on CNN explaining that she loved her “son”. May I take a moment to point o...

Let's take a stand against unethical businesses

Posted Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile
http://imgur.com/85c5bwT.jpg

If you found out that a brand you love, or a company you buy from all the time, is guilty of child labour or pollution, what would you do? That's the question we asked a group of young people on Voices of Youth, in collaboration with the Guardian Sustainable Business to find out what young people think about responsibility and sustainability in today’s business world. The eight best contributions have been selected by the Guardian and published on their website. You can che...

A Testimony on HIV

Posted no picture Keren Dunaway

no picture Keren Dunaway View Profile

I was born in 1995, 12 years after the discovery of HIV and five years after infection came to my country. It had not been long since people began to murmur against that known as "AIDS" at that time. It was assumed that if you "caught" the disease your days were counted and you could expect total disregard from society. That's how it happened to us, to my parents and me. In July 1994, my sister Andrea was born; at 4 months old she became ill and doctors did not know the reas...

It seems that 2015 will be a crucial year for the world. This year two UN events will take place. The first one will be in September in New York, where world leaders, after the "Millennium Development Goals" (which were put in 2000), will put a new set of goals, the "Sustainable Development Goals", which will include the end of poverty, inequality and environmental destruction. The second will be in December in Paris, where world leaders will make an agreement about finding ways...

My Voices of Youth blogging internship

Posted no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

A major highlight of the year 2014 was definitely my VOY internship. I remember a friend making a resolution to blog every single day of the year-aside his fulltime job-and I just could not imagine how he would keep up. Months after, I was selected for the VOY blogging internship and had to blog weekly. Needless to say, I found a way to do it. I have taken some time to reflect over the objectives of the internship and I realise how much I have learnt in such a short time. Under...

A BLEEDING NATION- The Tears of Nigeria

Posted Avatar Maurice Eze

Avatar Maurice Eze View Profile

Just two decades ago, my motherland was an emblem of love, peace and unity. There was sanctity, economic progress, near zero cases of bribery and corruption, quality education, adequate basic social amenities and agricultural boom. It was a pride to chant our melodious national anthem: "Arise O Compatriots, Nigeria calls,Obey; To serve our fatherland, With love and strength and faith; The labour of our heroes past, Shall never be in vain, To serve with heart a...

First of all Happy New Year to everyone at VOY! This is more of a reflective post than anything so please forgive me! As 2014 the one thing that remained the same was my love for VOY and the platform they offer! I always like to tell people I write on VOY, I learn so much when I read a lot of other contributors and the amazing bloggers! However once I began to enter the second year of my studies, I did not actually realise how much work went into the first semester! The speed o...

Saving the environment starts with you

Posted no picture Rizqi Ashfina Rahmaddina Siregar

no picture Rizqi Ashfina Rahmaddina Siregar View Profile

When we talk about environment, we may think that it is normative word that we have always heard. Many environment-related campaigns are everywhere most of the days. In the first place, I was that person who thought so, when I did not know anything about this earth. I did hear about global warming, but I had never understood the true meaning of it. That is until I grew up here, in South Jakarta. Ten years ago, I lived in Central Jakarta that was known as dense region in the Jak...

Can we really change something...?

Posted no picture Pia Fleig

no picture Pia Fleig View Profile

Yesterday, I had a talk with someone who, at times, I would call suicidal. He told me he was considering driving onto a tree, a fact which shattered me so badly I couldn’t sleep most of the night – given the fact that he had, at one point, after a simple “thanks”, turned off his phone and I didn’t know if he was still alive. He’s one of those gifted people, a great musician who lives for his passion only. He is, what comes with this a little lopsided lifestyle, extr...

VOY across the world