Body-Shaming Ads Banned from London Subways

Published no picture Meredith Avera , Miss

no picture Miss
Meredith Avera
http://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/08/13/10/tubead.jpg

One year ago, Protein World, a United Kingdom based health and weight loss supplement company brought controversy to London subways with an ad campaign that was said to be objectifying to women and body-shaming. The ad in question featured a thin model wearing a bikini with the words: “Are you beach body ready?” to the side. This brought in hundreds complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority (the UK’s regulator of media), an online petition with more than 70,000 si...

The Evolution of Wrong

Published no picture misstbn101

no picture misstbn101

When I was 5 years old I was told that I couldn't play with other kids Not because I wasn't fast enough, or I didn't understand the game, but because I was black But no one bothered to stick up for me So I thought I must be Wrong When I was 11 I was told I wasn’t pretty enough So I changed my hair, my clothes, and a lot more about myself No one really said anything So I thought that before I had changed, I must have been Wrong When I was 12 I was told that I...

Love, We Need Love!!

Published no picture misstbn101

no picture misstbn101
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3320/3601800611_567ac1e5aa_b.jpg

Regardless of who you are (black, white, gay, straight, man, women, etc.) or what you believe (atheism, Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) we should all share the common ideals that by upholding FAITH, HOPE, and LOVE we can stand strong together against any adversity. Despite our differences, we all are or at least should be human beings that foster strength, union, and love and not fear, hatred, and barriers between peoples. I write this not only showing support for all those who l...

What's In A Face?

Published Avatar Mwaniki Nyaga , Student

Mwaniki Nyaga

“You talk to this guy and get the impression that he is wearing an old professor’s coat, seated next to a quiet glowing fireplace with a pipe in his mouth and a thick philosophy book in his hand.” That up there, and variations of it, is what some of my readers have used to describe the picture that comes to their minds when reading my articles. I will assure you though, I am neither old nor smoke a pipe. I prefer fitting blazers to old coats and I mostly read short stories. Stories t...

I Didn't Ask For This

Published no picture anonymous

no picture anonymous

So today I decided I was going to sit down and write about something that affects a lot of people. I kept trying to think of things to write about but every time I thought of one I couldn’t write about it because I had never personally experienced it. After a few minutes of pondering and a couple of sentences of complete crap that I had no personal knowledge on, I decided to write about sexual harassment. Now before we get into this, I would like to point out that I am mere...

Where Has Our Humanity Gone?

Published Avatar Veniz Maja , Literary Writer

Avatar Literary Writer
Veniz Maja

I believe, every time we see an injustice being committed, there are only two appropriate reactions: be appalled, and be compassionate. We should be appalled because we are human beings. Because every single time one of our kind threatens the safety of another, it speaks about our failure as a whole. It speaks about how our education, religion, government, media, families, and friends have failed horribly at forming another wonderful human who is capable of making this world a...

Wanderluster in the Making

Published Avatar Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo , Student - Political Science

Avatar Student - Political Science
Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo

My name is Maria and I was born and raised in the paradisiacal city of Cali in Colombia. For the majority of my life I had lived surrounded by the same people; I went to the same school and lived in the same neighbourhood all my life. The people that I was surrounded by were people who had similar experiences to mine. I eventually decided that I was not satisfied with the homogeneous way my world was being shaped. I realized I needed to see more of the world and I needed to lea...

The Butterfly Effect

Published no picture Richa Gupta , Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine

no picture Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine
Richa Gupta

The butterfly effect is the concept that small causes can have colossal effects. This concept is an important component of chaos theory, and can be used to predict atmospheric events. It revolves around the notion that the mere flap of a butterfly’s wing in Brazil can stimulate the formation of a tornado in Texas, weeks later. Its essence is unpredictability, chaos, the knowledge that the tiniest of occurrences can have catastrophic impacts on the future. The butterfly effect a...

Have We Failed?

Published Avatar G.B , High School Student

Avatar High School Student
G.B

Have we failed? Have we FAILED?! How do I dare ask myself this question? We are humans, all of us. We put nature back in her place and we evolved ourselves, revolutionized ourselves. We don't only call this planet home, we claim it and everything in its orbit and beyond. Sure, we were once one until race disconnected us, religion separated us, politics divided us and wealth classified us. You might wonder, why the **** are you writing this article? Because I sometimes belie...

VOY across the world