'I am Able': The Commonwealth Youth Council's call for submissions

Posted no picture Jonathan Andrews , Future Trainee Solicitor and Commonwealth

no picture Future Trainee Solicitor and Commonwealth
Jonathan Andrews
http://www.yourcommonwealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/eee.jpg

The Commonwealth Youth Council is currently working on a two-year project, ‘I am Able’, to raise awareness of the lives of young people with disabilities across Commonwealth member states. The Commonwealth believes this is an important issue, as too often the voices, desires, needs and strengths of disabled people are overlooked, and we’re committed to tackling it. We’ve already launched a Commonwealth-wide poetry competition, open to people aged 15-29, and held events ac...

On Abortion

Posted Avatar Veniz Maja , Features Editor

Avatar Features Editor
Veniz Maja

So I’ve been regularly answering questions on Quora, and (side note: I love that site) I believe it would be fair to say that I have already answered a diverse set of questions. However, there’s this one question that caught my eye, and it helped that I was one of the people that the person requested to answer his question: Abortion: Why has a morally/ethically objective truth been reduced to a personal preference? “Killing people is wrong, except in these circumsta...

Alonely

Posted no picture Zahra Biabani

no picture Zahra Biabani

Broken back Eyes genuflect to the street cracks Therein lies the history of these streets Do other people walk them just like me? Do they bow their heads to superior feet? Or shiver from feeling incomplete? Maybe they too are tired of sucking in air Or trying to find someone who cares Maybe they too can't stomach the blows of dying from trying to keep up their nose And maybe, that makes me not so alone

"GOAL IS YOUR MOTIVATION..."

Posted Avatar Naimisha , Freelancer journalist

Avatar Freelancer journalist
Naimisha

"Goal is your motivation...."As rightly said that appearances are often deceptive, don’t hesitate to say a “Hello” to the most strict looking person you next time come across because you never know, he may be the next Ashis Panda. A 27 year Indian Revenue Service officer by profession, sportsman by hobby, patriot by spirit, gentleman by nature and spontaneously an inspiration for many. Mr.Panda hails from Balesore district of Odisha, the place that often comes into limelight for frequent p...

My imagination of India

Posted Avatar Amla , PhD Research Scholar

Avatar PhD Research Scholar
Amla

"I would like to see India free and strong so that she may offer herself a willing and pure sacrifice for the betterment of the world. India’s freedom must revolutionize the world’s outlook upon peace and war. Her importance affects of mind." Mahatma Gandhi When I saw this picture of these two kids and their mother playing with some digital device, I got a smile on my face. I love to see those expressions and togetherness. With this pleasant stay I had to think about the...

Gender inequality in education

Posted no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

I just realized that in 2016 I wrote many posts about women, about issues that women go through on a daily basis and in my posts I have always addressed to some boys saying that it's time to change our mentality in order to promote gender equality. I know we hate that guy who harassed us on streets or the one in the news who raped a girl or those who do honor killings and many more. It's totally fine. But today I do not want to talk about those who do not respect women, I wan...

The Beauty of Pixar

Posted Avatar Richa Gupta , Teen Poet and Blogger

Avatar Teen Poet and Blogger
Richa Gupta

2016 was a year of change, emotions, and growth. And whenever we’re confronted by so many variations, we seek stability, equilibrium. Something that helps us remember the beauty of life, the power of color and imagination, and the role of faith in moving forward. Or, in other words, Pixar movies. Pixar movies are powerful. Unlike the high-grossing movies with mindless shooting, empty dialogues, and gratuitous (but attractive) characters, Pixar movies attract viewers for entirel...

A Note to the One After

Posted no picture Carly

no picture Carly

I’m sorry. To those who come after me, I wish I had left you the world in tact, Whole, Complete, But it is shattered. The world was once a stained glass window, Displaying an array of earth’s finest colors, Each individual piece fussing together as one, The sun shined through it and brought joy to all it touched, Spreading warmth, Laughter, And light. First, The window became dirty, Then it became so tarnished one cou...

Seeds of Hope

Posted no picture Kirsten W. , Student

Kirsten W.

It feels as if we live in such a cruel, uncaring world absolutely drenched in apathy. A world where it seems it is better to be detached, unfeeling, dispassionate, unenthusiastic... hollow. I think about this often. I have tried desperately to accept this in the past to make life easier, but how can I? This is a world where one is beaten by one’s parent(s) due to embarrassment and disappointment over the child simply being too different. Our earth – a thing 7+ billion humans...

VOY across the world