Standardized Testing: Should it be required?

Posted November 15, 2014 no picture Grace O

no picture Grace O View Profile

I recently studied for and took the SAT, the standardized test required for admission for many US universities. This process led me to do a lot of research about standardized testing, which has made me really think- should standardized testing be required? Standardized testing aims to test a student's basic ability, predict his/her success in college, and provide a good comparison between students. The ACT and SAT are both standardized tests, and standardized tests have many term...

The Brighter Side of Social Media

Posted November 15, 2014 no picture Sarah

no picture Sarah View Profile

These days with technology, many people come quick to criticize the use of social media, saying that it provokes social pressure to fit in. Many also argue that social media distracts people from being productive, resulting to a less productive generation. While these problems do exist within our generation, it is important to note that they aren't always present 100% of the time. In fact, social media is the cause to good things too. Take the Egyptian Revolution as an example. Egypt back at 20...

What's on the local news?

Posted November 15, 2014 Avatar Oksana Hirchak

Avatar Oksana Hirchak View Profile

You may know about the situation in Ukraine. I would like to outline the main points about circumstances in the East of Ukraine and Crimea on November 5th – 12th. A violent change is being observed in the Eastern Ukraine after the November 2nd “elections in local governments” in Donetsk People's Republic and Luhansk People’s Republic. DPR and LPR are self-proclaimed republics on the territory of Ukraine. But there is no country in the world which declared that. Large scal...

Make A Change & Take Action

Posted November 15, 2014 Avatar Anisah

Avatar Anisah View Profile

God never changes a condition of a people until they first change themselves. Some of us go to church every week, go to the Mosque every week, and that's all we do. Week after week, we sit in our seats, clap, bear witness, and shout hallelujah, and go home in the same condition we left in. For many of us, it's the same routine. You get your joy from going to church and the Mosque, but no joy comes afterward because you aren't willing to get up and change your condition. When yo...

Voices of Youth INSPIRE: Pursue a Career You Are Interested In

Posted November 15, 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY View Profile

As an inspiring young person, I am going to introduce a young cricketer of Nepal. Rijan Dhakal is a young cricket player of Nepal who participated in ACC U-16 cricket championship held in Malaysia in August 2014. Six countries including Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, Oman, Bahrain & Malaysia had participated the tournament in which Nepal had brought the trophy home against Malaysia in final, for the first time in the history of Nepal for this age group. Name: Rijan Dhakal...

Do young people really have a say?

Posted November 15, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry View Profile

In the UK we have coined a relatively new terms 'youth voice', and I'm sure many of you may have heard the same two words used, or similar. But what does this really mean to us, the youth of today, and the leaders of tomorrow? In my view, very little. It is my opinion, and it is shared by many whom I've spoken to that 'youth voice' is merely tokenism, so that the adults of this world can say "oh yes we've taken on the views of young people" or tick a box on their checklist....

Human Rights Violations--Seriously??

Posted November 14, 2014 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy View Profile

I am a student in an International Baccalaureate high school in the United States. In my IB Spanish class, we are currently discussing social relations (one of the core themes for the course) and their implications toward human rights. I find it funny, hysterical even, that people think human rights violations do not exist. Sure, if you are an innocent, little girl scout of age 9, I would expect no more from you; however, if you are of thinking (that is, lucid thought) age, you sho...

The need for some moments of refreshment and joy.

Posted November 14, 2014 no picture Artemis B.

no picture Artemis B. View Profile

I was in the car,in the afternoon,returning from a two-hour Latin lesson.The sky had a lot of clouds-it was raining earlier-but you could see some of the golden color that the sun had created.I had a headache and I was tired from the lesson.There was a show at the radio,that was ready to end.And,then,a song that I really liked,started playing.It was "Smalltown Boy",by Bronski Beat. From the first moments,a different feeling was being created,inside me.The song,along with the beau...

VICTIMS

Posted November 14, 2014 Avatar Philani Hlophe Dhlamini

Avatar Philani Hlophe Dhlamini View Profile

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-buISbJqb8aE/U9Y1wmt1NgI/AAAAAAAAEW0/NOY5LXey7Hk/s1600/VICTIMS.png

Source: http://philanilegacy.blogspot.com/2014/07/victims....

"I dedicate this to all refugees and war victims in Africa. Especially for young Africans displaced and endangered by conflict and insecurity. " - Philani Hlophe Dhlamini (African Youth Activist)