“Young people in Gaza are the most traumatized population in the world”

Posted August 13, 2014 no picture Farhaa

no picture Farhaa View Profile

In an exclusive interview with "Humanitarian's Manifesto", a community powered initiative, Dr. Akihiro Seita of UNWRA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East) explains the role of mother & child unit at UNRWA health centers, especially in dealing with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) in children & adolescents.

He also describes the affects of Israel-Palestine conflict on economy, mental health of men and particularly domestic violence on women.

UNWRA provides psychological trauma and PTSD care, but after every war the number seeking help doubles, especially among youth, said Akihiro.

“Now I am very much concerned what will happen after this," he said.

“ In gaza, the situation is stressful - with or without war, said Seita. Many people are witnessing unbelievable miseries, loss of neighbors, families, livelihoods. “We are worried about the mental and psychological situation, we are preparing ourselves to be able to create a better situation after the end of the world and that is a major challenge,” he added.

In a report published by UNICEF after the war in 2012 assess the impact of hostilities on children. Irrefutably, the state of mental health among youth and children were already in a dismal condition. 97% of the children surveyed ‘felt insecure’; while 84% reported ‘feeling dazed or stunned’. 77% reported ‘crying more than usual’, 80% reported fearing ‘loud sounds’.

According to many earlier reports, Gaza has witnessed a sudden spike in suicide rates using various means immolation, hanging, jumping from long heights etc in recent years. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/07/gaza-suicide-hamas-blockade.html#

children youth work health war Palestine mental health gaza depression PTSD