4 Ways My Voices of Youth Internship Changed My Life

Avatar Founder of TheFemmeAgenda.com
Devonnie Garvey

It’s crazy how the smallest things can change your life completely.

I remember vividly how I stumbled across this internship – I was scrolling through my Twitter timeline and someone had retweeted the details. I favorited the tweet to get back to it at a later date.

A few days later I filled out the application form in a single go, without even a second thought. It was strange, but I didn’t feel the pressure I normally had felt when “applying” for anything. It felt effortless, and serene.

Looking back, I realize that this was a sign that it was all meant to be.

Being a Voices of Youth Blogger has been one of the greatest experiences of my life to date for a variety of reasons. The effect that it has had on me as in individual is hard to put into words – but I’ll try.

1. My writing has improved greatly. Even though I’ve always had an affinity for the written word, this internship has helped me to hone my skills even further. The tips and tricks that I’ve learned have helped me in a lot of ways. Including giving me insight in starting a blog I’ve always dreamt of – The Femme Agenda.

2. I’ve finally found my voice. Before I started writing for Voices of Youth, I had only ever ghostwritten blog posts for clients. Furthermore, the topics were always non-fiction and never really required an opinion. It was like I had been writing on autopilot. This internship helped me to realize that it’s okay to have opinion, and I can write whatever I feel like because that’s exactly how I feel. I’m no longer ashamed of my opinion and who I am - I’m allowed to express myself. This feeling is invaluable.

3. I’m more confident in my writing ability. Like I said, I knew I could write. But still, inklings of self-doubt always swam around in my mind. However, this internship has really made me realize that I am a great writer. The feedback I’ve received from my posts has been phenomenal. From my VOY Manager Mischa, to complete strangers have given me positive feedback. I’ve seen people get into heated discussions over what I’ve written, people posting screenshots of articles that have really touched them and I’ve gotten myriads of messages filled with commendation and love.

4. My thoughts are more global. I’ve met people from all over the world through this internship, and the fact that we’re able to relate so well with each other amazes me. Being a Voices of Youth blogger has broadened my horizons more than I could have ever have imagined. I feel like a global citizen, and I can more positively contribute to local conversations with my perspective.

In hindsight, favoriting that tweet on Twitter and filling out that Google Form was one of the best things I’ve ever done. This experience has been invaluable, and I’ll never forget it. Thank you for this opportunity!