4 Ways to Focus on the Environment, But How Can We Do It?

Posted November 17, 2013 no picture Achmad

no picture Achmad View Profile

YFCC committee and participants

YFCC committee and participants

Global warming is a booming issue that happens because of the change of climate. Climate change is not a specific problem such as desertification, forest fire, or illegal logging but it is general problem confronted by all countries in the world.

The United Nations agency focusing on climate change is the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. They have drafted strategies to tackle this issue by holding key steps including the Kyoto Protocol, Bali Road Map, Cancun Agreements, Durban Outcomes and Doha Climate Gateway. As a result, greenhouse gas emissions have diminished gradually. For instance, during the first commitment period, 37 industrialized countries and the European Community committed to reduce GHG emissions to an average of five percent against 1990 levels (UNFCCC official website).

How Youth Are Actively Involved:

As we know, that UN agency in partnership with public, private, and individual has encouraged the implementation of 4 focus strategies: adaptation, mitigation, finance and technology. One of the ways to implement these focuses is by engaging youth actively.

Dewan Nasional Perubahan Iklim (DPNI), in partnership with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), committed a big endeavor to involve youth as a role model on reducing GHG emissions. Young people came up with initiatives and spirits to deal with the climate change in a forum which was known as YFCC 2013 (Youth for Climate Change 2013). The event was held on October 1-3, in Taman Wiladatika Cibubur Camp Park, West Java, Indonesia .

Youth who were selected to represent their universities got together to raise the awareness towards climate change. They shared their experiences and activities which enabled them to mitigate and adapt to that problem. Apparently, they believed the small activities combined with considering the use of energy wisely and/ or unwisely contributed to bring about the reduction and increase of GHG emissions.

Some of the YFCC participants felt disappointed to see the bad habits of human beings toward the environment such as- throwing out rubbish everywhere, burning forest, converting the peat land, and wasting energy and food. The participants also concluded that the disturbances of climate were due to irresponsible humankind.

You are youth, So what should we do as soon as possible to settle this problem? Don’t neglect our responsibility to maintain the environment. We are the change, so let’s change our behavior to overcome climate change!!!! If not you, who else will?

youth Environment climate change