A Business Agenda or an Eco-Friendly Agenda

no picture Cadmus Atake-E

A shepherd boy walks on a hillside overlooking houses and planted terraces, while cows graze around him, near Thimphu, the capital. © UNICEF/UNI29489/Charton

I was lost in thought thinking of how to make the world around me a better place, so I decided to surf the internet to see if I could find ideas to develop on. I came across this story of the world most eco-friendly and Carbon negative nation in the world – the nation of BHUTAN.

A small but mighty nation referred to as the greenest nation in the world. Though small they do amazing things; as a matter of fact the nation celebrated the birth of the first Royal Child of His Majesty King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and Her Majesty Queen Jetsun Pema with the planting of 108,000 trees.

I learnt this was not the first time they had undertaken actions. In 2015, the country set a Guinness World Record by planting almost 50,000 trees in just one hour.

Wow, so amazing! As my thoughts ran wide, I imagined if all nations and kingdoms of the world would embrace such an Eco-friendly acts to commemorate either their Independence Day celebrations or one other national activity, the world would be a better and pollution free place to live in.

Rather than leaders of nations thinking how to plant and protect our trees and forests and stop investing and depending on fossil fuels, they are busy cutting down our forest lands and investing more in the development of dirty energy and fossil fuels deals that increases global temperatures daily.

On the other hand these same world leaders will spend the nation’s money to attend Climate Change conferences once a year to discuss business as usual with the tricky aims of reducing global fossil fuel emission and mitigating climate change.

Each year they spot out a business agenda rather than AN ECO FRIENDLY AGENDA to discuss, without actually planning, how they can reduce their own Carbon foot print. Rather they talk about how they can engage more in Carbon trading /offsetting and REDD business. This gives them more license to pollute and relocate to Africa and other developing nations of the world who bear more of the impact of climate change to transact REDD business and Carbon trading/CDM projects which are all based on profit-making not on the well-being of the people.

In line with this thought I wish to suggest here that our leaders, climate change activists/advocates and agitators should take a clue from the Bhutan people in reducing their carbon foot print, encourage tree planting in their nations and learn to live green lifestyles. This will help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions below 2degree Celsius as recommended in the last COP 21 held in Paris in 2015.

Below is a story of the Bhutan people as written by James Gould-Bourn

How does Bhutan, the world’s most Eco-friendly and carbon-negative country, celebrate the recent birth of its new prince? By planting trees of course. Lots and lots of trees.

108,000 saplings were planted in the tiny mountain Kingdom to commemorate the first Royal Child of His Majesty King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and Her Majesty Queen Jetsun Pema.

The Bhutanese constitution stipulates that at least 60 percent of land remains forested at all times, but this green-fingered celebration wasn’t just inspired by the country’s commitment to ecological preservation.

“In Buddhism, a tree is the provider and nourisher of all life forms,’ said Tenzin Lekphell, who coordinated the initiative. ‘It symbolizes longevity, health, beauty and even compassion.”

This isn’t the first time that Bhutan has made headlines for its epic tree-planting sessions. In 2015, the country set a Guinness World Record by planting almost 50,000 trees in just one hour. Which is proof, if ever you needed it, that while Bhutan might be small in size, it’s definitely big when it comes to awesomeness.

(h/t: treehugger)

source:http://www.boredpanda.com/thousands-trees-planted-new-prince-bhutan/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=...