A little bit on Romanian youth

Posted July 23, 2014 Avatar maryb

Avatar maryb View Profile

This week I’ve been thinking about the youth in Romania and about its passions and interests. And slowly, I began to observe that these have started to estrange from culture, knowledge, true love or a lot other things that the human being is to be admired for.

Let me explain this phenomenon. It starts with television, internet, newspapers and maybe others too. There you can see, by taking just a glance, examples of how to succeed in life without making an effort. Just an example: girls, who had the right body and knew the right TV producer and now they participate in the show, without really doing anything, and if you are lucky you may have seen one without plastic surgery. Or there are some people, who got famous (I don’t even know why) and now they are interviewed about their pets, their shopping and their wedding-planning. These may be educational, but this is not the case, because you will hardly ever be in that person’s situation, so the interview is not about giving advice, it is about presenting a way of doing things. And when we speak about a cat or shopping trips the interview tends to become useless. So youngsters see this kind of people and gets used to this kind of entertainment and then it is difficult to escape. They try to imitate it, hoping they would become like the ones they have seen on TV. By the age of 18, when they should take their “Bacalaureat” (taken at the end of high school, this exam proves they have been through high school and is a viable passport for future jobs), they have been partying in clubs every week for years, but read a book once in 6 months; they have memorized lots of lyrics from music videos with apparently no logic, but couldn’t learn history, geography, mathematics or many others at school.

This is extremely problematic because after failing or not even participating in this exam, they probably end not having a job, and so the rate of unemployment among youngsters is more elevate than in other age categories. This situation has become a very important issue in Romania and solutions are sought after continuously. On the other hand, I feel kind of discouraged seeing these young people not living at their potential and not even willing to get there. They indulge in this situation and just can’t see the other way of doing things.

However, this entire situation is full of debatable aspects and I can see some of them, but there may be lots of others. For instance, it can be brought in discussion that every human, in a democracy and this complex world, has free will. So they should decide on how to live their lives and when, what and how much to learn or read or party. But when has the society the right to step in? Or if we acknowledge the problem should we interfere, and if we should, how? In addition there’s this belief that youthful age is the most beautiful period of time in one man’s life and therefore, it is considered that youngsters should enjoy these years, as they never come back. But what does this enjoyment mean? Furthermore, a question which arises in Romania is whether adults, older people, are to blame for this course of action. The most powerful argument is on the educational system and its flaws: its inadaptability in this century, the fact that it can’t attract Romanian youth and many others.

I have to say that this article doesn’t include every aspect on the topic. As I previously said, the actual situation in Romania is extremely tricky and there are a lot of factors connecting and building the fundamental issues we have. It is very difficult to try to propose a solution to a problem because you find the causes, which, well, are also problems we have to solve. So there it is: a vicious circle.

I would also like to put emphasis on the fact that there are exceptions. You can always find good newspapers or TV shows here in Romania too, which make a profound analysis of things that actually matter. You can find young people who are eager to find more, to read more and the category of people that I am presenting in this article doesn’t include all the youngsters from my country.

In the end, I think we should try to change the way of thinking about work and school. We could present better stories, powerful examples of other ways to succeed in life. And we should try to get youngsters in Romania more close to culture, by making it popular into the media that young people read or watch. I have to also admit that the only solution to a healthier life and to more fulfilling experiences isn’t just reading, learning and studying. It means also going out there and just living your days. So, the essential is to stick to the essence of living and not get wasted into superficial and momentary experiences.

youth education Romania motivation Blogging Intern 2014 interests passions