A Song for Humanity

Avatar UN Youth Advisory Panel in Mongolia
Khishigjargal Enkhbayar

What drives me nuts is the fact that people have so much capacity for kindness but choose to ignore or suppress it in fear of being hurt. If we try just a little bit to practice kindness in our every day actions and look at life at least one degree through a love lens, I truly believe the world can be a better place. I am trying to do so right now.

During my nine month presidency at my Rotaract club, our club members had implemented and taken part in over 100 small and large scale projects and activities. I know, because I counted. I am still immensely proud of the work our club has put in helping sick children and the elderly, planting trees and learning together with fellow youth. The photos on the video are of the various projects I took part in that made a big impact on my life. So I turned my experiences and hopes into a song.

Often we come across so many development issues and choose to ignore them. We feel we have to be competent or wield unlimited power in order to make a difference that is substantial and worthwhile. The world today is full of chaos and it has never been more important to act towards something you believe is right. I believe we come to this world for a purpose, whether it’s big or small. “We spend our days in stringing and unstringing our guitars, while the song we came to sing remains unsung”. We seem to spend so much time in preparing to take action and ending up not doing anything. I fully support endeavors to develop one’s skills and expand one’s horizons. The most important thing is to keep using those skills, make an impact and learn from our successes and mistakes, so that we continue on “powering up” and doing good for the rest of our lives.

And thus please listen to my message to humanity in the form of a song and video I created. I was inspired by Michael Jackson’s “Man In the Mirror”, which has always been my favorite song about personal and social change. I searched through youtube for an uplifting reggae style instrumental to go with the positive message and feelings I hoped to send out. The lyrics were written in a day and the voice recorded with my iPhone in my bathroom.

I hope my message will resonate across borders and cultures to young people all over the world.

Every morning I wake up

Feeling empty, just a shell

Same old habits same old days

Gotta be something I could change

We spend our days in stringing and unstringing our guitars

While the song we came to sing remains unsung

Looking but not seeing all the poor children suffering

No room for education their health in degradation

you know you gotta change it but you don’t know how

It’s alright don’t worry we’ll tell you how

L-O-V-E that’s the way it should be

Bringing us closer, one big family

L-O-V-E let’s spread love all around

This is your song, don’t hold back, love and…

Peace and sunshine,

Children laughing and growing

In a world that you created

With understanding and loving

We live under one roof

We’re one big family

It’s our choice to make

Whether to make or break

We don’t need no superpowers to make a difference in the world

Simply keep spreading love everywhere you go

Love every little plant and people close and far

Spread your arms big and wide

Embrace, enjoy the ride

Until you decide to reach out our hand

Be a gift to the world, welcome to wonderland

L-O-V-E that’s the way it should be

Bringing us closer, one big family

L-O-V-E let’s spread love all around

This is our song, don’t hold back, love and love