A special gift for Malala from Cameroon

Posted July 3, 2013 no picture Global Education First Initiative Youth Advocacy Group

no picture Global Education First Initiative Youth Advocacy Group View Profile

By Bertheline Nina Tchangoue
Member, Global Education First Initiative Youth Advocacy Group and youth worker for DAYCAM

Malala Yousafzai is an idol for inclusive education in the world, especially girls’ education. Her story has inspired many governments, communities and families across the globe to have concern for the right of girls to have access to quality and equitable education. This 12 July 2013, Malala Day, young people from different countries and cultures will meet at the UN headquarters in New York to join their voices with Malala’s to advocate for education. This will be a historic and unique moment for Malala, the champion of education, who on her 16th birthday will talk to the world’s youth about her passion and determination to see all children in school.

In Cameroon, a day can’t go by without people talking about Malala. The news of her story is being spread everyday through word of mouth, radio and social media. People - especially young people - are very supportive of her.

My idea of creating a special gift for Malala was welcome by all the youth workers of the Developing African Youths, Cameroon (DAYCAM). This would be a very simple gift to show Malala that we, the young people of Cameroon, are all encouraging her. She will receive the gift on her birthday on 12 July.

Learn more about Malala Day: www.globaleducationfirst.org/malaladay