Abortion and Sex Education

Posted August 18, 2014 Avatar Piumi Madushani

Avatar Piumi Madushani View Profile

Picture Copyright:lipmag.com

Picture Copyright:lipmag.com

Abortion and Sex Education

Sexuality can concern issues socially, economically, politically, emotionally, ethically, legally, biologically, psychology or religiously. But, however, when an abortion is done every 24 seconds globally, it should be concerned critically. In addition, the Public Health Bureau of Sri Lanka claimed 800 abortions take place every day. Recent data shows that there are around 290,000 abortions that happen per year. As I observed, as commonly persons do so, in becoming pregnant either at an early young age or after completing the family. I’m here to sound for the 1st category, the YOUTH!

Evidently the panel code of 1883 says ‘whoever voluntarily causes a woman with child to miscarry shall, if such miscarriage not be caused in could faith for the purpose of saving the life of the woman, be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both; and if the woman be quick with child, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine. A woman who causes herself to miscarry is within the meaning of this section.’ In order as many Asian countries, abortion is not just illegal but also unsafe in Sri Lanka since even ‘misoprostol’ (the medicine used in abortion) is unregistered still.

Certainly, there is no shortage of disagreements of exclusions while some protest the persecution of women that assert women’s rights. There is also, however, a further point to be discussed. Why do we say miscarrying is wrong? First, by virtue of the physical health risk of puncture, bleeding, infection and even death, we do refute the women involving unsafe way outs. Illegal medicines and unqualified persons would not be responsible in saving women’s lives. Meanwhile afraid for legal and social punishments of women impede the post abortion care.

Second, having effected the social convention and religious norms, she gets mentally stressed since the majority observe Buddhism here (in Sri Lanka), they consider it as the killing of another human being. Furthermore, going against the religion would make her feel like a murderer. Hence, the dominating accusation of society that refuses the girl as an obscene character would harass the immature mind. Still ‘sex before marriage’ is a wretched misdeed in Sri Lanka. Thereupon, the majority of young men seek for a ‘pure girl’ to marry, even if they have had sex before. In this manner, by dint of legal restrictions, limited options and social reprehensions, young girls who become pregnant before marriage are burdened heavily in order we do say unsafe abortion is wrong and dangerous.

Of course, there must be solutions for innocent girls who confront rape, but I would not come to a conclusion that legalizing abortion as a convenient acknowledgement, because it cannot be practically achieved amidst the social and religious ideology inasmuch. Perhaps it preserves sexual health circumstances of women, but it wouldn’t discourage unnecessary pregnancies or discontinue the situation becoming uncontrollable. I argue, here that illegalizing neither protects women, nor prevent abortions. When ‘the enquiry of life and death’ intensifies too fast for the policies to bound, necessity of a practical, and middle path response remains high.

Considering the general custom of Sri Lanka, it can be clearly identified that hiding the sexuality is widespread. Straits or shame in talking sexuality preclude the youth by adopting healthy sex behaviors. Restricting information will cause danger rather than good, I suppose. When both parents and school are neglected in responsibility, of cause, young ones wouldn’t attain a proper knowledge. So we are in a lack of highly effective sex education program too.

The youth should be provided with the skills in understanding and respecting community values, negotiation and refusal. Youth must be strong enough to say NO, if it is necessary, when making decisions. In fact, even if parents, teachers or adults contend to avert sex, do they desperately do so? It depends on personal opinion. According to the World Health Organization- Draft Working Definition, receiving sex education, deciding to be sexually active or not, having consensual sexual relations and pursuing satisfying, safe and pleasurable sexual life are rights. Thus, they are comprised in choice of using safe, acceptable and affordable methods in preventing unjustified pregnancies.

I do not argue that sex is good or bad. One must be responsible for one’s sexual behavior. One has the freedom to decide if it is, but having a proper impression on preventing unwanted pregnancies is extremely beneficial to the youth. Having a baby for immature parents is risky as it badly influences the future carrier of the young couple. Sex education should be encompass that responsibility of a child it would be unbearable for a young one. Information need to be freely available. Else it would becloud the tomorrow since unawareness or incognizance is unpardonable for ravaging the life.

This wouldn’t cause an elimination in which abortions are totally excluded but the feasibility is high in protecting and beautifying young lives. Perhaps, policies that are created by adults do not get proper attention for youth issues in order youth need to be involved fully, owing to the power of generating a positive change.

youth Abortion Buddhism Sri Lanka