Abuse and Violence Toward Children

Posted November 11, 2011 no picture Austin Bentley

no picture Austin Bentley View Profile

The issue of violence directed toward children is a global injustice that must be stopped. It happens all around the world: in 3rd world countries, in households both rich and poor, and in every culture and ethnic group on the planet. Children are too weak to defend them selves and are often to afraid to speak out about it for fear of shame and an even stricter punishment. According to the Progress for Children 2009, "83 percent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 percent experienced physical punishment." These numbers are astounding to think that more than half of the children in the world are brought up thinking violence is okay, at such a young age. That is really the result that this abuse has on the child. Because of this "the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28 (estimated by the UN)." All this abuse does is perpetuate this violent cycle which is going to led to more deaths and violence on a global scale. In the United States we see examples of this in gangs that kids join from an early age (usually about 10-16 years of age). This is a serious problem that can cause very detrimental affects on some children which include emotional problems, depression, difficulty socializing, development of the brain, and widespread physical pain. These actions also send some of these kids running into trouble doing drugs or having sex at a very young age. Some children are more susceptible to violence than others based on their gender, race, ethnic origin, disabilities (if they have them), or school status. This abuse is often hidden from sight, occurring in the home without any outside recognition or therapy to deal with the emotional struggle it brings along with it. The only to break this cycle of violence is to be a more civilized culture in this day and age and rely on other methods of scolding and punishment that is not damaging to a developing child's physical and emotional well-being.