Act Upon The Environment Locally

Posted November 18, 2013 no picture Achmad

no picture Achmad View Profile

We are really regretful throwing half of the food away to the dump side. It happens because none of us have a think about how much food we spend and dump daily. We realize that we waste them in the form of too much food prepared; too much food not used; food past its sell and use-by date; food wasted. It will become custom for us when we ignore the negative impacts of wasted food and rotting food. So the impacts should be considered deliberately especially to the economy and the environment.

If we review from the previous passage, there are crucial perspectives on understanding the importance of avoiding and mitigating food losses and wastes. We will evaluate and review the perspectives on the realm of economics and the environment scientifically. Perhaps, it will be complicated and comprehensive to be told to children and youth, but it has to be positively explained for reducing food wastes to feed the world.

The first perspective is in economics. Food waste has substantial economic costs. Food production needs plenty of energy, pollution and production costs associated with the transportation of food. In addition, food wastes will dissipate natural and human resources including water, land, labor, capital and nutrient losses. So, if we waste and throw food away without considering the resources, it means we squander them. As we know, most of why we waste food happens in each step of the FSC (food supply chain) and the optimization and improvement of technologies will assist to tackle the losses. In addition, food which is produced from the agricultural system needs nutrients, energy and water. It can be proven that by food dumped in the rubbish and somewhere else represents the waste of nutrients, energy and water, as well.

Food waste occurs not only in the food supply chain, but also it appears in food consumption of humans. A lot of us won’t buy or purchase bad and/or expired food, but we will buy good and branded foods, spending more money because it is expensive. In fact, we always waste half of these foods where it is like throwing money in the dustbin. So, we should consider it maturely before buying what we want and need. For these reasons, estimating the economic costs is an important way to inform policy and design alternatives for food production and consumption.

The last perspective reviewed are the impacts of wasted foods towards environment. We know that greenhouse gas emissions can be obtained from food wastes rotting in landfills. Gases result from food wastes decomposition and the preparation of food at steps of food supply chain. The harmful gases produced comprise CO2 (carbon dioxide) and methane. Experts say that methane is the more dangerous gas than CO2 despite of CO where it can be found in peat land. The accumulated gas emissions from food wastes generate global warming due to climate change. The utilization of environmentally unfriendly fossil fuel as energy in producing food contributes to pollute the environment especially air conditions. It is like the above mentioned that on other hand, wasted food will bring about dissipation of energy. The reason is like for water and other natural resources used to grow, transport, process, and sell the foods. Even the most unexpected tragedy is that an eco-friendly appropriate packaging for food sold. Besides that of plastic and the derived polymers for plastic which are not biodegradable, that influences the production of greenhouse gases emissions. Wasted food thrown away somewhere such as rivers, lakes, seas and water sources will generate water pollution. In addition, if it is not managed well, floods and diseases will attack our lives gradually.

The most challenging case is a beneficial attempt for us to restore the environment, keep it clean and sustain it before the dangerous impacts of wasted food. In my opinion, as a part of youth who will inherit the environment, we can utilize food waste to be useful materials. For instance, we can convert the wastes of vegetable, fruits, and other organic wastes as source of fertilizers. In fact, some countries supported by scientific research have used wastes to produce compost and Nitrogen fertilizers which are to mitigate greenhouse gases emission. In addition, it can be use as biogas by sheltering methane gases to substitute fossil fuel.

I have not yet regretted to spend food for eating because it is a duty to preserve the environment from global warming and save money. I encourage all of you to realize and be aware that based on my explanation, there are many negative impacts of wasted food for economics and the environment. So, let’s save our lives and the environment by minimizing and reducing wasted food. I have actually already acted upon it locally. What about you?

Environment food loss food waste