An open letter to my old friend

no picture blogger and instructor
Hamza Yassin

Free source: Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Dear Zakaria,

First of all, I miss you since the day you left us. We have known each other well for a number of years. We did everything together like playing football, watching TV shows, reading, going to school and much more. That created the bond we shared. No matter how far apart we are, I wish one day we will meet as if we were never far from each other. After that, I would tell you how life changed since your departure.

The first day that you migrated, everyone felt upset as you were very dear to us family and friends. You made your single mother feel that the whole world was on her shoulders because of the heartbreaking decision you took. Many people came to your mom to wish you good luck, but nothing settled her.

You claimed to have been kidnapped and urged your mom to pay $3,600 or else you would be killed; yet you knew the poor financial condition of your family. She wept for the lack of much needed money, and you let out a terrible shriek because of the torture that you underwent by the smugglers. She went to some of her relatives for help, but in vain. Your younger siblings were fired from the school for not paying their full tuition fee. The life of your mother and her children turned dark. Finally, she barely managed to send you the money and you were released.

You asked her thousands of dollars blindly again. Extreme thinking, depression and the pressure you created were enough for her to get hypertension. She even asked herself why she had delivered you. She sold the family’s house in order to save you. You hurt her a lot more than death.

I know that you experienced incredible and painful stories during your one-year long trip. I know you are sad and you feel alone in Austria’s metropolis Vienna. I know that you feel the whole world is against you as things didn’t become how you want them to be. But I want to remind you that our prayers are with you.

You are now a past tense to the most of our friends, but you are still in my heart. Though you left everything, I want to tell you that you need to make the life of your family great again.

Best wishes,

Your friend Hamza Yassin