Behind the Voices - "“Youth” means hope. Young people embody the hope of tomorrow."

Posted July 22, 2013 no picture

This week, “Behind the Voices” One voice can change” gives the floor to Marieme, a young high-school student who does not lack of ideas about how to improve the life conditions of those who need it in the near future. Have fun reading this!

My name is Marieme, I am 16 years old and I was born in M’bour, Senegal. I currently live in Brussels, Belgium. I had the opportunity to do my studies in a more stable environment.

What are the expectations of youth in your country?

First of all, having access to a good education is essential. And of course, quality, because generally, teachers lack of instruction. They are not really concerned with student’s interests but only with theirs. Besides, after school, there is an unemployment issue that arises. So, young people tend to emigrate, seeking for a better future.

In terms of health, the lack of structures in remote villages leads to huge problems during childbirth and also at the time of following-up on kids after their vaccination.

Are you currently participating to any citizen initiative?

Voices of Youth constantly keeps us informed and everyone may express themselves freely. This is the reason why I do a lot for this initiative because it is thanks to that website that I started being aware of all those problems that I had not even heard of before…

I also have projects concerning my future. First of all, I would like to finish high school, and then pursue medical studies. And I would like to specialize in paediatrics. This training will enable me to help children with disabilities as well as the children suffering from malnutrition, who unfortunately, do not always get the care they need from the governments. When I decided to become a doctor, it was because of my passion for medicine. But afterwards, I realized I also wanted to help young people, I care very much about children, especially, those suffering from malnutrition, disabilities and albinism. It is really sad: all those kids are dying because they are starving, and all those politicians make us believe that they want to help us with their well-polished speeches. This is the reason why I want to go back to my country after my graduation, but I would also like to discover the world.

When I was in Senegal, I worked as a volunteer for an association which was involved in the fight against malaria because it is a plague that kills a lot of people during the rainy season.

According to you, why is youth participation important nowadays?

“Youth” means hope. Young people embody the hope of tomorrow. They are particularly informed of what really happens in the society and also aware of its evils. This is the reason why they have to make themselves heard.

What is your motto or favourite expression?

My favourite expression is “In souls nobly born, valour does not depend upon age” from Pierre Corneille. Because even if you are young, you can achieve great things.

Do you have any pieces of advices or message that you would like to give to young people?

Together, let’s fight to build up our society.