Call for applications: Youth Advocacy Group for the Global Education First Initiative

Posted November 14, 2013 no picture RJrC_Villamero

no picture RJrC_Villamero View Profile

The Youth Advocacy Group (YAG) for the UN Secretary-General’s Global Education First Initiative is now accepting applications for new members. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic group of young people who are committed to ensuring that every child receives a relevant, quality education.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: 30 November 2013 by midnight EDT

What is the Global Education First Initiative (GEFI)?
The Global Education First Initiative was launched in September 2012 by the Secretary General of the United Nations, Mr. Ban Ki-moon. The aims of the initiative are to raise the political profile of education, strengthen the global movement to achieve quality education, and generate additional and sufficient funding for education. The Global Education First Initiative has three key priorities: put every child in school, improve the quality of learning, and foster global citizenship among children and youth worldwide.

What is the Youth Advocacy Group (YAG)?
The Youth Advocacy Group (YAG) was appointed in August 2012 to provide strategic support and advice to the youth representative in the High Level Steering Committee, strengthen momentum and increase support for the Global Education First Initiative. The group is currently made up of 12 active members who are spearheading grassroots initiatives in their own countries and on the global stage to increase access to education, improve the quality of learning and foster global citizenship.

As representatives of a wider youth network, the 12 members are from 12 different countries:

Chernor Bah, Sierra Leone (Chairperson)
Dejan Bojanic, Serbia
Jamira Burley, United States of America
David Crone, United Kingdom
Abigail Kaindu, Zambia
Hayley McQuire, Australia
Joseph Munyambanza, Democratic Republic of Congo
Salathiel Ntakirutimana, Burundi
Sumaya Saluja, India
Anna Susarenco, Moldova
Bertheline Nina Tchangoue, Cameroon
Rolando Jr. Villamero, Philippines

The YAG moves forward GEFI's three main priorities amongst their networks and partners by:
1. Facilitating consultations with other youth in their countries, regions, and globally;
2. Providing strategic advice on the education priorities of young people;
3. Promoting the priorities and voices of young people in the advocacy messages and activities of GEFI and;
4. Mobilizing young people and governments to make pledges in support of education and holding them accountable to their commitments.

COMPOSITION AND ELIGIBILITY
The Youth Advocacy Group shall be composed of 15-18 non-compensated individuals between the ages of 15-28 who are representatives of organizations with demonstrated expertise and experience of working on and advocating for young people, including youth-led organizations, the private sector, media and academia. Such individuals should have demonstrated leadership and activism, and should be able to consult with and reach out to a larger constituency. The Youth Advocacy Group meets online once every two weeks and in-person whenever necessary to plan, support and advance the goals of the Global Education First Initiative.

What are the application criteria?
Applicants should:
o be between 15 and 28 years old;
o have access to the internet;
o be able to commit at least three hours per week for the group;
o be proficient in both spoken and written English;
o demonstrate passion and experience in advocating for education in their respective communities and;
o demonstrate connection to wider network(s) and ability to consult with and represent views of other young people

Young people from the following geographical areas are particularly encouraged to apply. (This, however, does not limit those living outside these areas.)
o Central/North Asia
o Middle East
o Latin America

A demonstrated commitment, experience and expertise in a specific field of education will be considered an added asset.

How do you apply?
The Youth Advocacy Group will be constituted for a period of one year, from January 2014 – 2015. Members of the group will be expected to make a one-year commitment, with the possibility of renewal. Prepare and submit the following documents to yag.gefi@gmail.com on or before the application deadline.
o Curriculum Vitae / Resume (Maximum of three pages)
o Written Reference / Recommendation or Endorsement Letter (Maximum of one page) from either your workplace, university, or school
o A Statement of Purpose (Maximum 700 words) which addresses the following questions:
- What has been your experience with the Education sector?
- Why are you passionate about Education?
- What are your future goals?
- What is it you hope to gain from participating as a member of the Youth Advocacy Group?

Successful applicants will be notified by 30th December 2013.

More details at http://globaleducationfirst.org/index.html, facebook.com/TheYouthAdvocacyGroup, @GEFI_Youth (twitter).