Can 140 characters really make a difference?

Posted June 7, 2013 no picture ClaireDiaz-OrtizTWITTER

no picture ClaireDiaz-OrtizTWITTER View Profile

Today, at our very fingertips, we can easily find free apps that support vocabulary acquisition. We can search the web and find crowd-sourced lesson plans from teachers all around the world that share best practices for integrating mobile technologies within the classroom. There is no doubt the current digital landscape is fostering positive opportunities for children everywhere. Within this ever-evolving landscape, it is key that we keep the focus on allowing platforms to surface that give our young people the ability to express their views.

Given that more individuals on our planet have access to mobile devices than to clean water, the standards are high for consolidating key information that empowers every individual to have an impact within their communities. As self-expression is curiously explored during early stages of our social and emotional development, we are fortunate that current technology allows for the uniqueness of youthful individual voices to be heard. The freedom to broadcast one single message to the entire planet lets like-minded connection happen everywhere. Here at Twitter, our mission is to reach everyone on the planet. We are privileged to bridge together key resources that impact our youth in ways that allow them to learn and grow from interacting with their peers all around the world.

Here's one example from a partner we're very fortunate to work with. For more than twenty years, George Lucas' Education Foundation, Edutopia, has focused on illuminating the most innovative strategies found in K-12 classrooms around the world. By equipping educators with recommendations from free apps that support vocabulary acquisition and providing crowd-sourced lesson plans that are sharing best practices for integrating mobile technologies in the classroom, Edutopia is making incredible strides. As Elana Leoni, Director of Social Media Strategy at Edutopia says: "Twitter is one of our favorite spaces. We've created a supporting professional learning network (PLN) there. Education can be a very lonely and unsupportive industry -- Twitter changes that. You can connect instantly to anyone, at any time and get the support you need."

Claire Diaz-Ortiz is an author, speaker, and Silicon Valley innovator who has been named one of the 100 Most Creative People in Business by Fast Company.
Claire was an early employee at Twitter, where she has led social innovation since 2009, and is the author of “Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time” and other books.
Claire holds an MBA and other degrees from Oxford and Stanford, and is the co-founder of Hope Runs, a non-profit organization operating in AIDS orphanages in Kenya -- where she met her foster son.
She has been widely written about in such publications as The New York Times, CNN, The Washington Post, Business Week, Fast Company, and Forbes.
Find her at her popular business blog -- www.ClaireDiazOrtiz.com -- or via @claire on Twitter.