Change Your Environmental Impact

Posted October 31, 2013 no picture Cadmus Atake-E

no picture Cadmus Atake-E View Profile

CLIMATE CHANGE AND ITS IMPACT ON THE ENVIRONMENT

Climate change has been a major subject all over the world. Currently, average temperature and weather conditions have been showing signs of changes due to natural and anthropogenic activities such as the burning of fossil fuels, volcanic eruption, and earthquakes among others. Whenever these events occur they release gasses such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, methane gas, sulphur oxides among others into the atmosphere which are harmful to humans, animals, plants, and the environment in general.

You might want to ask what is climate change? Climate change is a significant and lasting change in the statistical distribution of weather patterns over periods ranging from decades to millions of years. It may be a change in average weather conditions, or in the distribution of weather around the average conditions (i.e., more or fewer extreme weather events).

Causes of Climate Change

There has been a lot of attention to the fact that climate change does not actually occur in nature, but has been caused by the activities of man which has intensified over the years. Activities such as fossil fuel burning, gas flaring, deforestation and uncontrolled developmental projects that eats into natures reserves.

Climate change also has some natural causes such as volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. When these occur they emit harmful gases into the atmosphere which lead to acid rain and massive air pollution which contain green house gases that cause climate change.

Human activities in the fossil fuels industries and Agricultural Sectors also lead to the emission of large quantity of heat absorbing molecules into the atmosphere that interfere with the environmental components such as the atmosphere and the ozone layer.

These molecules are known as Green House Gases (GHG). Examples of GHG include carbon dioxide, methane, carbon monoxide, sulphur oxides among other gases which have contributed to the depletion of the ozone layer.

Effects of Climate Change On the Environment

These green house gases emitted during human activities go into the atmosphere and alter its balance thereby subjecting mankind to a very harsh climate. Some of the effects of climate change are:

1. Food scarcity: Climate change has caused food scarcity in the sense that the climatic requirements of the plant are altered and as such they cannot produce very well. This reduces yield and causes food scarcity. Change in weather patterns such as increased and excess rainfall has caused catastrophic food situations across the world destroying many farmlands.

2. Ill Health; The gases that cause climate change go to the atmosphere and as such they are inhaled by man during the respiration process. When this occurs, it causes health problems such as respiratory diseases (i.e. asthma, whooping cough, sinuesis and in some cases death).

Other effects of climate change are:

· Flood and drought: Last year, Nigeria got a taste of flooding impact up from the north down to the south. Several communities in Edo State where also impacted.

· Loss of forest and biodiversity

· Economic decline, communal clashes, and civil wars

Mitigation to the Harmful Effects poised by Climate change:

Having known that climate change is caused mainly by the emission of green house gasses, the major solution to the harmful effects of climate change is to reduce the emission of these green house gasses and clearing off the ones we have in the atmosphere already. These can be done by the following mitigation processes:

1. Stop Gas Flaring: Gas flaring releases green house gasses including carbon dioxide and methane and other harmful gases into the atmosphere thereby resulting in global warming. Generally, climate change are more pronounced in low-lying coastal areas such as the Niger Delta areas of Nigeria and other coastal regions in the world. These areas are prone to flooding and coastal erosion and are the first to be affected by sea level rise. Due to rising temperatures, climate change favours proliferation of pests and the spread of diseases which in turn give rise to health problems and even death in some cases. All this incidence comes as a result of increased temperature from excessive flaring of associated gases and as such should stopped totally.

2. Encourage Planting of Trees and Sustainable Agriculture: youths and individuals should be encouraged to take up sustainable agricultural and tree planting practices to enhance that oxygen content of environment and reduce the carbon dioxide content on the environment.

3. Conserve our resources by ensuring that water and other resources are not wasted. If these processes are followed adequately the environment will be sustained for future generations.

Other less direct linkages also exist between climate changes and its impact on the environment. Finally there are little steps you and I can take. They are;

1. Read more about climate change (knowledge is power)

2. Tell others about it

3. Switch off your light when not in use

4. Manage water

5. Change most used light points to energy saving bulbs

6. Always use the dust or waste bin

7. Do not block the drains with dirt from household waste in other to prevent flooding.

8. Live green by creating gardens around your premises to keep your environment always fresh and clean from carbondioxide(CO2), Dispose of all waste properly.

Environment climate change health green house weather natural reserves waste green