Children of the New Generation

Posted December 24, 2013 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy View Profile

The other day, I was watching a segment on the program NBC Nightly News in which a journalist was speaking with young Syrian children. I was astonished for two reasons: first, they spoke English at a higher caliber than most natives of my own country and carried themselves with such poise greatly unexpected from children of their age; second, they spoke of the war and the concept of death as if it were mundane, something to which they were obligated to acclimatize themselves. It frightened me, it tore at the very seams of my heart. It practically put me in a void of disappointment at the ingratitude in which I find myself indulging considering the general apathy we have as privileged human beings to the liberties and safeties of our own lives. However, I was taken up in the preoccupation of fretting and racking my brain as to how I would use the impact and poignancy of the segment to share with the world in my plight and that of others. After a while, I realized that this blog, this forum for revolutionary thinkers, future global leaders and activists would give me the chance it has always given to speak up about the segment, its significance and why I was on the verge of tears.

The children in the program were real, raw and they were right in the middle of it ('it' being a war and terrorist crisis in Syria). I have, since I was a child, seen terrorism nearly every night on the news, on informational programs and as the topic of various documentaries. The media is definitely focusing its lens on this issue. However, the media tends to forget about one side effect of these global wars. The children! Think about the children! This is an indirect quotation, but in the program, the journalist asked a young child what had happened a few weeks earlier. The child responded by telling us that a man came into his house and shot another man right in front of him. The journalist paused to recollect himself and asked the child how he felt in that moment. The child stoically responded by saying that he felt scared.

There are so many things wrong about war: economic deficits, plunging populations, breaking of international ties/ alliances, diplomatic crises, violence promulgated above all, the possibility of civilian revolts...basically pouring fuel on fire, fighting fire with fire, firing up fire...you understand. When it comes to children and war, the consequences are more far-reaching and instill facets of life in generations of children who will grow up with a desensitized view of violence, conflict, and weaponry. First, children who grow up in these war-torn environments are more likely to support violence when they reach adolescence for the same aforementioned reason: desensitization. Second, these children are nearly emotionally traumatized to the idea that they must always live their lives in fear just to survive. It taints the very innocent trust with which a child is born in a crude, inhumane manner. Third, these children will grow up and most likely teach their own children the reality of life in a manner most unsettling. Why perpetuate the social dangers of war by corrupting an entire generation?

I know that the Indian diplomatic incident (the way Mrs. Devyani Khobragade was treated in the US in spite of her diplomatic stature) in the US really doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this post, but I'm bringing it up for a viable reason. I am of Indian descent. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I think what the US did was right and I don't always support India just because of my heritage. However, I am disappointed for one reason in the grand scheme of this wholly, blown out of proportion event: the inefficacy of two forefront governments. I get it, this was a big deal internationally; but what's the point of drawing it out for weeks and weeks and not reaching a resolution?

Similarly, these at-times-ignorant leaders we elect to drive the world to a better future are not efficient in the least bit. Get things done! Stop with your personal vendettas and think about your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, grandchildren...would you want them to live amidst war. So, if you are an international leader and happen to be reading this, consider this a firm challenge to your actions. Consider this as a civic plea to end wars if not for peace than for the safety of our children.

inspire children youth developing countries UNICEF education human rights activism peace empowerment safety war syria countries poverty en protection torn somalia civil strife south sudan minds formation devlopment