Choosing My Path

Avatar Student and VOY Climate & Environment Blogging Intern
Katie Baxter

The Barbican, Plymouth

The Barbican, Plymouth

When asked, “What do you want to do in life? What are your career aspirations? Why did you decide to do that?”, I simply say “I want to change the world.”

It seems like quite a generic and vague answer, but surely that’s the best answer anyone could possibly give?

My name’s Katie, I’m 21 years old and I grew up in south London (UK) in a suburban town with the bustling city of London to the north of me and the rolling countryside of Surrey to the south. From a young age I lived in a busy urban environment, but I would regularly get the chance to explore the beautiful UK countryside and coasts. This was always so exciting for me as the environment is a fascination of mine.

When I was 18 years old I moved to the city of Plymouth to study Geography, but in my first year of university I really struggled and decided it was not the degree for me. Motivated by my love for the environment, I decided to change my degree to Environmental Science. This choice was a risk that paid off. I am surrounded by like-minded peers who share all of my passions and interests, and I am excelling in my work.

Throughout my life, I have always wanted to learn about the different struggles that people are facing around the world. Understanding that there is always someone in a worse situation than you and being grateful for what you have was a value my parents taught me. It was during my studies at university that I began constantly reading and researching about the different challenges people face on a global scale due to environmental issues and climate change. It helped me learn to always focus on the bigger picture, and I understand that I was in a position where I could help others.

I live in a country where I have access to safe drinking water, food, shelter and healthcare. I live in a democracy where I can vote for change, speak freely, study what I choose and progress in my career how I decide to. These things are easy to take for granted, but it is so important to remember that they are indeed human rights that everyone should have access to.

Getting to be a part of the UNICEF Voices of Youth Climate and Environment Blogging Internship is a true privilege, and is a staggering opportunity that I am eternally grateful I get to partake in. I want to use it to find out what I can do to be part of a movement that makes a real difference to people’s lives and to our natural environment. As well as this, in September I will begin my Masters degree in International Relations: Global Security and Development which will give me a huge insight into the challenges facing people around the world today and what can be done to combat these.

So yes, I do want to change the world. Don’t you?