Curtain Call

Avatar Student, VOY Intern
Kyay Mon

Photo Source: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=34852&picture=theatre-curtains

I always get nervous before going on stage in front of many people. It doesn’t matter if it’s simply receiving a certificate or giving a speech. My hands get sweaty and my heart threatens to beat out of my chest. I felt the same way writing my first post for Voices of Youth.

Getting selected for the VOY blogging internship meant that my writing will be read by a worldwide audience. Am I really good enough? Would people be interested to hear what I have to say? What if nobody likes what I write? These thoughts scared me but at the same time, I was so excited about being able to share my thoughts on a global platform. People all over the world will read my posts!

Writer Lee Child once said, “Writing is show business for shy people.” I can’t agree more. The blogging internship gave me an opportunity to shine and give a great performance. The blank document was the stage where I brought my stories to life, the readers my audience. Every week, I wrote and rewrote many times, in search of the perfect word or sentence to deliver my message.

Throughout the internship, this obsession with writing the perfect piece proved to be the biggest challenge for me. I put myself under a lot of pressure and writing wasn’t that fun anymore. But Mischa, my supervisor, reminded me that trying new things, challenging myself and growing from the experience was much more important than submitting the perfect piece. It was one of the best lessons I learned from this internship.

I didn’t have to travel anywhere for this internship since everything was conducted online. However, I feel like I have just gone on an amazing journey. I explored new ideas and perspectives. I discovered new sources of inspiration. I got to know other interns from different parts of the world. I learned many lessons not only about writing but also about life in general.

For aspiring bloggers and writers, I would like to share this from my experience. It is quite natural to doubt yourself. But trust me, your voice matters. Never doubt the power of your words. They may or may not change the world. But they can put a smile on someone’s face. They can be the source of motivation for someone. They can inspire someone to take action. They can change the way someone sees, thinks or feels about a particular topic. Use that power for a good purpose.

Last but not least, I couldn’t have successfully finished this internship without the support of other people. Thank you, Mischa, for your valuable advice and encouraging words. I couldn’t have asked for a better mentor. To my family, without your belief in me, I wouldn’t be writing today. And Nunu, thank you for always reminding me that I can do this.

I am also thankful to everyone who liked, commented and shared my posts or gave me any sort of feedback. It is quite intimidating to put my writing out there but I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such supportive and encouraging people.

Now, the time has come to let the curtain fall and conclude my final post. Although the internship has ended, this won’t be the last time you hear from me. I still have many stories left to tell. See you again, on this stage or another one!