Dear Future Leaders

no picture Kelepi Baba

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo and Leah Davidson.

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo and Leah Davidson

Dear future leaders,

Do you doubt that you can make a difference? Believe that you are worth nothing? Wonder if anyone can hear your voice? No matter who you think you are, we are all responsible for the future of the world. And to mend it, restore it, love it — will take all of us. Wise elder, fair judge, daring soldier, woeful lover, whining schoolboy, squalling infant: all have a voice. It is your choice if you use it or not. But the day we are afraid to speak our minds is the day we fall.

It will be hard, but the most important thing is that we do not lose faith in our humanity. There is no limit to human kindness. In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty”.

So we must trust in our humanity. Empathy and love are necessities, not superficialities. We cannot progress without them. Love is not weakness, it is our sincerest strength. Do not give yourselves to unnatural hate. To despise each other , that is real weakness. And ineffectual weakness will not have a place in the world we can forge together.

Decide now what you want that world to look like. What you want that gift to look like when it leaves your hands. A future poisoned by hatred, by greed? One lured into inactivity by an unwillingness to change? We will be the catalyst. Driven by our understanding that action must be taken. And when no else will stand up, it is upon us. Will you be strong enough to stand, when everyone else; your family, your friends, your teachers all fold? You must be a rock in your resolve to make change, and a waterfall to erode the barriers until the change is made.

The only way this world’s future can be secured is if we act mindfully. Let us prove them wrong. They say that we were born with silver spoons in our mouths, that being spoilt has left us bereft. Let us show them that everything given to us will be returned to society tenfold. They say that we are green children, obsessed with commodity and material. Let us show them that no matter our economic situation, we are prepared to give. They say we will grow to be greedy and fat. Let us show them that in five years and ten years, we will be the best people, the most mature people, the wisest people, the most humble people and the most spirited people in our search to serve the good of humanity.

Make your mark,

With love,

Kelepi Baba