Don´t be silly

Posted July 14, 2014 Avatar paola.suarez

Avatar paola.suarez View Profile

Hello guys! Today there is something very special I want to talk about DON’T BE SILLY! Many things that have happened to me through the last couple of weeks that have shown me this little lesson; but let me explain what I mean when I call you not to be silly : )

Have you ever done team work in which you have to work with someone you dislike and you end up doing a horrible job?

Have you ever had a family member who remains sick for months because they think there’s nothing going on with their health but it turns out to be deadly?

Have you ever gotten mad about your parents' nagging and then regret not hearing their advice and wishing you made the mistakes they warned you about?

Or have you simply just hurt someone you love based on your own side of the story, but then felt horrible because when you talk about things you pretty much feel like the ogre of the story?

That is what I call being silly. We expect things to happen, but not build the foundation for those things to finally come to terms with. We demand our governments to act according to principles and values we don’t practice ourselves. We defend some rights as a “privilege” and totally forget some “less important others.” We want to end war with another war.... the list could go on and on but I think you’ve already realized that you – just like me - are a bit silly and we both live in a silly world.

But hey! The solution is simple > get smart! By getting thoughtful, I don’t want to live at a library but I want to be kinder, I want to understand people, I want to literally be the change I want to see out there.

Why? Because I´m getting tired of TV showing the new Kardashian mansion and being silent about Gaza, (or giving distorted information). I'm sick of football scandals knowing that there are people being exploited at manufacturing centers. I sincerely don’t care which celebrity took pictures at an exotic island, and I would rather read Orwell or Huxley and enrich myself a little more.

Do you want to know why governments continue to trample people? Why there is labour exploitation to migrants and why human trafficking and human slavery still exists? Because we are silly. Don’t get me wrong we should live our lives to the fullest and enjoy ourselves as well as the lovely things around us. But we definitely need a bit more “humanity”, the one that makes us think as one species, not as Colombians, Chileans, Taiwanese, woman, men, young, professional or student but HUMAN.

Think for a minute that Palestine is your city, that the death penalty is being applied to one of your family members or that you´re taking a shower with water full of petroleum - did you like that? Sure you did not, but if you want big things to happen start by changing the little things that might be causing them to develop.

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me.

Martin Niemöller

inspire human rights